ASIO4ALL v2 not connected

Author
24bauer
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10
2010/04/19 19:41:16 (permalink)

ASIO4ALL v2 not connected

So I don't really understand ASIO drivers too much. I read that not all sound cards support it.
I'm trying to use ASIO drivers and have ASIO4ALL installed.  I can select my input driver with ASIO, but my ouput drivers section says  "ASIO4ALL v2 not connected".  Now I don't know if it's because my sound card can support it or not.

Otherwise I have to go back to MME :(

Thanks in advance

16 Replies Related Threads

guitartrek
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    Re:ASIO4ALL v2 not connected 2010/04/19 20:09:36 (permalink)
    I get this from time to time when I've got another program running audio.  Like Windows Explorer on youtube or something.  Try closing everything and restart Sonar.  If that doesn't work try re-booting.

If you go into the ASIO4all Panel itself, you should be able to tell if ASIO4all is connecting to your device or not.  You may have to adjust things here.
    johnnyV
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2677
    Re:ASIO4ALL v2 not connected 2010/04/19 20:14:42 (permalink)
    you should post what your sound card is so someone can help you quickly

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
     Scarlett 6i6
    Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
    Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
    Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
    Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
    i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
    Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

24bauer
    Re:ASIO4ALL v2 not connected 2010/04/20 08:30:16 (permalink)
    johnnyV

you should post what your sound card is so someone can help you quickly

Ok, so my card is VIA HD Audio VT1708B.  I've updated some things and now I get red cross on rear output in ASIO control panel  "PC speakers unavailabe" and "MS GS wavetable synth enabled?"  which I think it is.

So there's a new problem, moving from an old one
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 11326
    Re:ASIO4ALL v2 not connected 2010/04/20 08:46:23 (permalink)
    ASIO4ALL won't work while the MS wavetable is active. Deselect it in the MIDI options box and it'll work after that.
    CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    Re:ASIO4ALL v2 not connected 2010/04/20 10:19:25 (permalink)

Until you get a recommended  audio sound card and stop using the onboard sound chips, youll be stuck using the worst driver mode ever made in the history of man kind (MME) Onboard sound chips are just meant for standard pc sounds and not recording programs. Because they lack drivers, good  A/D and D/A converters and 1/4 ins and outs. Your performance and sound will suffer using such cards

When you get serious about your music, look into Motu, Edirol, Echo, Cakewalk, maudio and RME sound cards. They all have the drivers, the A/D and D/A converters and the proper inputs and outputs needed. 
    With those cards, you do not use that generic ASIO4all driver. You use the drivers specifically written for those cards. 
    ASIO4all is not a driver, but a WDM wrapper and if you card hasd no WDM drivers, the ASIO4all wont work well
    Cj
    post edited by CJaysMusic - 2010/04/20 10:20:57

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    johnnyV
    Re:ASIO4ALL v2 not connected 2010/04/20 11:02:22 (permalink)
    • 4 Stereo DACs Output Pairs supporting 16/24-bit, 48K/96K/192K/44.1K/88.2KHz sample rate
    • 2 Stereo ADCs supporting 16/24-bit, 44.1K/48K/96K/192KHz sample rate
    • 16/24-bit S/PDIF TX supports 48K/96K/44.1K/88.2KHz sample rate
    • 16/24-bit S/PDIF RX supports 32K/48K/96KHz/44.1K/88.2KHz sample rate
    Looks like your card is a higher end multi channel with pretty good specs to me. Biggest draw back is lack of inputs, at least an RCA jack. Anything with mini jacks is a joke for audio equipment interface.
    For now until you purchase an interface ( as in USB or Firewire ) you will be better off using the MME drivers. I got by just fine for 4 years and did a lot of recording with that set up. ASIO for all is a headache.

Scarlett 6i6
    Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

CJaysMusic
    Re:ASIO4ALL v2 not connected 2010/04/20 11:12:34 (permalink)

Looks like your card is a higher end multi channel with pretty good specs to me.

LOl, your a real good jokester. Its not even listed as a recommended audio card. LOL
    You almost had me
    Cj
    And why would it only have MME driver mode, if it was so good?? LOL Yuor a funny guy

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    johnnyV
    Re:ASIO4ALL v2 not connected 2010/04/20 11:14:52 (permalink)
    I was trying to make the pour bugger feel better, he probably paid money for it...

Scarlett 6i6

CJaysMusic
    Re:ASIO4ALL v2 not connected 2010/04/20 11:19:48 (permalink)
    I understand. But, he will feel so much better and have less to no headaches with an audio sound card. Audio cards have specific drivers written for them that make them so much better than a standard sound card/sound chip. They dont need or rely on a generic wdm wrapper, such as asio4all.
    Using a card with good drivers will give you better performance in sonar and your pc and give you lower latency
    Cj

Audio Blog
    24bauer
    Re:ASIO4ALL v2 not connected 2010/04/22 06:32:49 (permalink)
    CJaysMusic

Until you get a recommended  audio sound card and stop using the onboard sound chips, youll be stuck using the worst driver mode ever made in the history of man kind (MME) Onboard sound chips are just meant for standard pc sounds and not recording programs. Because they lack drivers, good  A/D and D/A converters and 1/4 ins and outs. Your performance and sound will suffer using such cards

When you get serious about your music, look into Motu, Edirol, Echo, Cakewalk, maudio and RME sound cards. They all have the drivers, the A/D and D/A converters and the proper inputs and outputs needed. 
    With those cards, you do not use that generic ASIO4all driver. You use the drivers specifically written for those cards. 
    ASIO4all is not a driver, but a WDM wrapper and if you card hasd no WDM drivers, the ASIO4all wont work well
    Cj
    Ok cool. I'm not really informed about sound cards. So when I buy a recommended sound card I won't have to fuss with ASIO and all that stuff? And so would I select the card's own driver from Sonar?  Also which are the high quality sound cards, brand and model, that you know of and recommend.  Price is not a limitation.  Do sound cards have strict motherboard compatibility like graphics cards do?
    Thanks

edentowers
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1164
    Re:ASIO4ALL v2 not connected 2010/04/22 07:01:04 (permalink)
    Take a look at the web sites of the manufacturers that CJ listed. Edirol now badge their products as Cakewalk.

You'll need to make a decision about how many things you want to record at once and whether they need mike or line inputs.

For example the Cakewalk UA-101 that I have has 8 line-ins but the first two have XLR mike inputs with phantom power for condensor mikes. It also has a 'Hi-Z' input on the front so that you can plug an electric guitar or bass straight in, and then us a guitar plug-in in Sonar to get the amp and cab sound you want.

I find that I get more than adequate performance from the USB2 connection on my card, but many people here are advocates of firewire, whose reliability seems to be based on ensuring your PC has a suitable FW interface.

You can spend an awful lot on an audio interface, but, like all things to do with audio there is a law of diminishing returns. And any interfaces you'll find in CJ's list will provide you with very good quality record and playback.

Phil

S8PE, Dell XPS 720 (Q6600), XP Pro SP2, Edirol UA-101
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re:ASIO4ALL v2 not connected 2010/04/22 08:45:21 (permalink)
    24bauer

So I don't really understand ASIO drivers too much. I read that not all sound cards support it.
    I'm trying to use ASIO drivers and have ASIO4ALL installed.  I can select my input driver with ASIO, but my ouput drivers section says  "ASIO4ALL v2 not connected".  Now I don't know if it's because my sound card can support it or not.

Thanks in advance
    That part of your question is confusing. As if you hadn't noticed that ASIO and ASIO4ALL are two different things. ASIO is the one that integrated soundcards don't support, and ASIO4ALL is a "fake" that they do often support. So you can not have input using ASIO and output with ASIO4ALL.

Even if you buy a proper soundcard you do need to "fuss with ASIO and all that stuff", because any soundcard needs the right settings and driver to work properly.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    CJaysMusic
    Re:ASIO4ALL v2 not connected 2010/04/22 11:44:50 (permalink)
    Yea, you need to set up any sound card/interface you get and you need to try ASIO and WDM driver modes with all kinds of settings until you get the one that works best for YOU. note I never said ASIO4all. Forget about ASIO4all. Its a generic WDM wrapper. And never mention MME again...LOL

You get your drivers form the manufactured of the sound card. If you get a Motu card, you go to motu.com and install the drivers from there.

Sound cards that are Firewire and USB have no motherboard rstrictions. yuo just need a FEW or USB hub. If you get a firewire card, you may want to get a TI PCI FW chipset in your pc. Some generic firewire chipsets that come with off the shelf pc's are cheap and crap.
    Cj

Audio Blog
    24bauer
    Re:ASIO4ALL v2 not connected 2010/04/24 00:41:02 (permalink)
    CJaysMusic

Yea, you need to set up any sound card/interface you get and you need to try ASIO and WDM driver modes with all kinds of settings until you get the one that works best for YOU. note I never said ASIO4all. Forget about ASIO4all. Its a generic WDM wrapper. And never mention MME again...LOL

You get your drivers form the manufactured of the sound card. If you get a Motu card, you go to motu.com and install the drivers from there.

Sound cards that are Firewire and USB have no motherboard rstrictions. yuo just need a FEW or USB hub. If you get a firewire card, you may want to get a TI PCI FW chipset in your pc. Some generic firewire chipsets that come with off the shelf pc's are cheap and crap.
    Cj

Edirol

Ok, just so I'm clear, the sound cards I should buy are not really sound cards like the PCI ones right?
    Eg, is this the kind of sound card I'm looking for?
    http://www.rolandus.com/p...d=703&ParentId=104

Thanks

michaelpath
    • Total Posts : 18
    Re:ASIO4ALL v2 not connected 2010/04/24 02:19:14 (permalink)
    Start by looking at cards explicitly mentioned in Cakewalk's Open Audio Hardware Guide:

http://www.cakewalk.com/Tips/AHG/Default.aspx

This should give you a step in the right direction as to what you'd want to use for professional audio.

The UA-101 you pointed out is one of those mentioned in the list.  There's nothing inherently wrong with PCI cards, but you'll probably find more of what you need in a USB or Firewire interface device.

-Michael
    CJaysMusic
    Re:ASIO4ALL v2 not connected 2010/04/24 02:29:15 (permalink)
    Ok, just so I'm clear, the sound cards I should buy are not really sound cards like the PCI ones right?

Soud cards come in PCI, USB and Firewire. Pick one that fits your needs
    Cj

Audio Blog
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1