ASUS MOBO Users: ASUS Motherboard & Windows 7 Problem. Serious High-Pitched Noise Issues

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Martin Barret
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 117
2010/10/09 18:16:48 (permalink)

ASUS MOBO Users: ASUS Motherboard & Windows 7 Problem. Serious High-Pitched Noise Issues

Hey y'all.

So for MONTHS now, I have had this weird noise emanating from the bowels (a computer has bowels?) of the MOBO that sounds like sci-fi computer noises but like, 2 octaves higher.  R2D2 calculating-in-his-brain noises, but into the bat-ears spectrum.  Of course, it would pick up on any close-to-system micing I might do.  I had to fix it.  That, and I suffer from chronic migraines.  I can only compare this sound to nails on a blackboard when I'm in the throes of pain (and seriously, it really kinda sounds like little mouse nails on a blackboard...LOTS OF THEM!). 

So I call around, and nobody gets it.  They all say, "It's the hard-drive" or "it's the computer's warning-beep speaker"....no answers.  I went on the ASUS support site and found that MANY MANY people have had both their notebook computers (Running Windows 7) and their Desktops making this brand o' noise. 

If you think you're losing your mind every time you go to edit video or (now, after the latest round of Windows Updates) run Sonar, you're not nuts. 

(I am running an ASUS Rampage Gene II - I7 (930).)

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&id=20100207170443781&board_id=3&model=K52JR&page=19&count=250

Turns out "ED" (see down the page) found the solution.  The fix has a drawback in that it will run your temps a bit hotter on the CPU and the fan may blow at full-tilt (thereby creating some other noise, but is by far more palatable!).  I found the work around to this too:  Just go in the BIOS and turn down the CPU fan speed to 'Quiet' running.  If you're just doing straight Audio Recording, you can survive just fine with the MOBO and the above-referred to fix. 

Hope this helps anyone else out there who endures this problem!

Martin Barret
post edited by Martin Barret - 2010/10/10 15:01:47

34 Replies Related Threads

jimmyrage
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 238
    Re:WARNING: ASUS Motherboard & Windows 7 Problem! Serious High-Pitched Noise Issues 2010/10/09 19:07:22 (permalink)
    I've never noticed the noise on my system. Was it there from day one, or did it start later on?
    post edited by jimmyrage - 2010/10/09 19:08:28
    Gilly78
    • Total Posts : 107
    Re:WARNING: ASUS Motherboard & Windows 7 Problem! Serious High-Pitched Noise Issues 2010/10/09 19:17:50 (permalink)
    Sounds like Coil Whine.

Google it and you'll see it isn't just related to Asus motherboards but has been known to affect other electronic components that contain these 'coils'.

Have heard it before on some PC's.  Some you could only hear with the case open in a silent room.  Heard one that was audible over the fans in a closed case.

Some of the old CRT TV's and monitors where terrible for this!

Depends if it's in your hearing range too.  Younger and or / lucky types have more range than the average adult.
    post edited by Gilly78 - 2010/10/09 19:22:03

My music and some guitar lessons here:

www.youtube.com/mikegarveyblues

SSE8.5, Core i5 760 Quad Core, 4GB Corsair XMS3 1600, Win 7 64BIT, Asus P7P55D PRO Mobo, Cakewalk UA25-EX, M-Audio Monitors, Laney L5T, Various pedals, Fender Standard Strat w/Seymour Duncan SSL-1 - SSL-5 Pups, Hamer, Yamaha & Washburn Guitars, M-Audio Oxygen 49 3rd Gen,

Martin Barret
    Re:WARNING: ASUS Motherboard & Windows 7 Problem! Serious High-Pitched Noise Issues 2010/10/09 21:26:17 (permalink)
    Yup - from day 1.  Purchased in July - noticed it right away and asked the builder to go find me a quiet case.  Case made the 'over-all' computer & fans quieter, but this squealing thing was always there.  HOWEVER, it recently got REALLY loud when I had done a Windows update and when I engaged SONAR it was unbearable! 

Thanks Gilly for your thoughts.  As long as air can pass through a case, you'll hear this problem.  And what case has no air?  I will get a quieter case eventually, but the problem is (for now - no thanks to ASUS) solved.

Martin
    perfectprint
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 862
    Re:WARNING: ASUS Motherboard & Windows 7 Problem! Serious High-Pitched Noise Issues 2010/10/09 21:52:07 (permalink)
    Ed mentions something about it being an Intel thing. I have never had a problem with my ASUS boards in all (2) AMD systems I have built.

Another whiney pitch prone build part I have found has been Corsair power supplies, specifically the 450w.

Sonar Platinum                      

Martin Barret
    Re:WARNING: ASUS Motherboard & Windows 7 Problem! Serious High-Pitched Noise Issues 2010/10/09 22:12:03 (permalink)
    Okay - I'll give you that, it may be an Intel thing, 'cuz my last few boards were ASUS and I had no probs.  That being said, ASUS should come up with a fix no?  Intel?  Hey - if you see one, let us know!

Martin
    stratman70
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3044
    Re:WARNING: ASUS Motherboard & Windows 7 Problem! Serious High-Pitched Noise Issues 2010/10/09 23:55:29 (permalink)
    Asus MB and Win7? That is so ridiculous. I have had Asus motherboards since , well, forever. I am on Win 7 x64-ourrs right along beautifully.
    Quick, lets blame something-right? Give me a break - Do your homework before you start a misinformed thread. Title really does NOT have to be that big-especially when you are Wrong.
    post edited by stratman70 - 2010/10/10 00:01:27

montezuma
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2520
    Re:WARNING: ASUS Motherboard & Windows 7 Problem! Serious High-Pitched Noise Issues 2010/10/10 00:04:43 (permalink)
    I've read about this over the past day or so...but my W7/ Asus mobo is very quiet...no problem. My mobo is a Revision 2.0...I heard the Rev 1.0's had some issues. My mobo is x58A-UD3R. Runs no problem. The only trouble is a noisy hard drive. There's a zillion threads on the net about that issue...none with concrete soultions
    HoHo
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re:WARNING: ASUS Motherboard & Windows 7 Problem! Serious High-Pitched Noise Issues 2010/10/10 00:24:39 (permalink)
    Sounds like it is your CPU fan that is causing the noise!!!  Get a better quality CPU fan and dump the OEM fan that came with your Intel CPU.  I have ASUS motherboards  for my i5 and i 7 and don't have any noise problem, in fact, they are super quiet.  I have "Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus" 120mm fans, they are super quiet and move lots of air at super low speed.  Only around $25 at Tigerdirect.com. 
    wormser
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 984
    Re:WARNING: ASUS Motherboard & Windows 7 Problem! Serious High-Pitched Noise Issues 2010/10/10 03:06:00 (permalink)
    Have run Asus for the last 10 years at least.
    Never had a problem other than a fruitcake BIOS once in a while where the settings don't like to take.

I think you either have a bad board or something else is causing a conflict.

That being said, my soon to be new system is going to be a Gigabyte UD x58 variety.

P.S I think there is a thread on Gearslutz or DUC with this same or similar problem.

JV
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 476
    Re:WARNING: ASUS Motherboard & Windows 7 Problem! Serious High-Pitched Noise Issues 2010/10/10 03:13:01 (permalink)
    Whoops whoops....Hoooold on der bubba louie....I'm sure turning down the fan speed will certainly cut back the high end irritation. BUT I bet anything that you have a mini grounding issue. Is your complete system on a seperate verified EARTH ground. ie...a frickin pole burried some 6+ ft into the ground with a braided strap secured to it and added to the main power strip/source? I'll bet you live in an appartment / multi dwelling or something like that. I could be easily wrong but my point is that I have found when it comes to audio, (20+ years doing live high end mixes) you can have a really nice 3 prong power through out the building and still have tell tale signs of noise on the level of almost out of hearing range. The building itself can have mini grounding devils floating around. Yeah, like in a B movie...."What the hell is that"? So, what I have, is a seperate EARTH ground and/or a LINE CONDITIONER. preferably both. I would look into that issue toot sweet, for you do not have a varialble speed fan just for the heck of it. When running multi trac aud/vid, that fan has to be on high. SO for now, use it lower but I really suggest you look at that grounding issue. I bet some plug ins ...like say a pushed compressor will bring that issue right back into your face/ears. ...or not. JV
                                           When you have time, give it a try. Get back to me if you can. I'd like to know and help. I HATE noises...hate 'em

JV
    "You can't soar with Eagles when you're flyin with Buzzards"
    Twigman
    Max Output Level: -38.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3667
    Re:WARNING: ASUS Motherboard & Windows 7 Problem! Serious High-Pitched Noise Issues 2010/10/10 06:59:17 (permalink)
    what a load of rubbish

I've always had Asus mobos and would never choose anything else......never had an issue like this

Become a Fan on Facebook
    Buy our stuff on iTunes
    Q9550-P5QL-E-8GB1066RAM-GT9800 1GB-RME HDSP9632-W7Prox64-X2x64
    JV
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 476
    Re:WARNING: ASUS Motherboard & Windows 7 Problem! Serious High-Pitched Noise Issues 2010/10/10 07:03:30 (permalink)
    Ditto thereTwigman. ASUS all the way.

JV
    "You can't soar with Eagles when you're flyin with Buzzards"
    montezuma
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2520
    Re:WARNING: ASUS Motherboard & Windows 7 Problem! Serious High-Pitched Noise Issues 2010/10/10 08:00:19 (permalink)
    It's not a load of rubbish...it is a legitimate issue for some mobo's...thousands and thousands of people all over the net have reported the problem. Not all mobos are doing it though. Thankfully, mine's not!
    jeffb9363
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 642
    Re:WARNING: ASUS Motherboard & Windows 7 Problem! Serious High-Pitched Noise Issues 2010/10/10 10:47:47 (permalink)
    No such problem here.

Studio:
    X1P on Q9550 @ 3.4Ghz P45 8Gb DDR3. W7 x64. MOTU 1296, 2408 Mk3. TC-Helicon Voiceworks. BCF2000. 
    Stage:
    Cantabile Performer 2 on E8600 @ 4Ghz P45 8Gb DDR2. W7 x64. 2408 Mk3, TC-Helicon Harmony-M.
    Eotm
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 64
    Re:WARNING: ASUS Motherboard & Windows 7 Problem! Serious High-Pitched Noise Issues 2010/10/10 11:30:02 (permalink)
    This is a genuine problem with recent motherboards. I have a Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 motherboard and if I enable the various C states and speedstep that lets the cpu throttle down when idle, the motherboard whines.  My solution of course is to disable all that which also happens to be good for a daw.   To the naysayers: just do a bit of googling around and you'll find that it is an actual problem where the mobo itself is making the noise.
    progtronic
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 75
    Re:WARNING: ASUS Motherboard & Windows 7 Problem! Serious High-Pitched Noise Issues 2010/10/10 12:17:39 (permalink)
    I've had this problem since my latest build. basically.. any powered, non-shielded speaker, close enough to the motherboard.. emits a digital chatter. my asus motherboard is like a tiny radio station transmitting mysterious noises to any device that can pick it up.

I bought some ferrite core beads and put them on a few of the cables (that didn't already have them) coming out of the computer.. it helped a little.

http://www.progtronic.com/

Cakewalk SONAR Producer
    Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    ASUS P6X58D Premium, Intel Core i7-960, Crucial 12GB SDRAM DDR3 1333
    2 x Crucial 64GB RealSSD C300, 2 x WD Caviar Black 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB
    ASUS GeForce GT 240
    Cooler Master; HAF 932, GeminII S. Corsair HX 750W
    Cakewalk; A-500S, UA-25EX. 2 x KRK Rokit 8, Sennheiser HD 280 Pro
    Gilly78
    Re:WARNING: ASUS Motherboard & Windows 7 Problem! Serious High-Pitched Noise Issues 2010/10/10 13:00:26 (permalink)
    Martin, did you Google 'Coil Whine'?

You'll see thousands of results... Anything from Mobos (All manufacturers, not just Asus) to PSU's, Graphics cards, TV's, Monitors (Including LCD and LED monitors) even Mice!!!

If it's coil whine then you'll get what you described - a high pitched noise that's hard to filter out (psychologically and otherwise).  Electronics components can pick up or produce noise too.  if I put my ear next to the case of my Girlfriends PC then I can hear a noise fom inside whenever I move the scroll wheel on the mouse.

I'm about to put a new Asus mobo in my new build.  An P7P55D Pro.  I'd be surprised if it made a noise as this problem almost certainly affects a very small percentage of components that contain these coils.  Having worked for Fujitsu a few years back I can tell you it's no fun when you hear that high pitched noise constantly.  It wasn't from any computers - and thopusands passed through my hands - but quite a few of the old CRT monitors did it.  Half the time the older guys couldn't hear it!

It's a genuine problem but you should edit your post.  To say not to get an Asus board and Win 7 is wrong and I won't be losing sleep over the fact i've just done that.  Is it within Warranty?  Send it back or get a new one as you shouldn't have to put up with it.  Asus won't do much because the issue isn't solely with them and despite the numerous reports on the new I expect the issue only affects a small percentage.

+1 on the Coolermaster Hyper 212+  It fits in my case with about 2mm to spare.  Scary moment.  Those stock Intel units are next to useless.
    post edited by Gilly78 - 2010/10/10 13:03:00

SSE8.5, Core i5 760 Quad Core, 4GB Corsair XMS3 1600, Win 7 64BIT, Asus P7P55D PRO Mobo, Cakewalk UA25-EX, M-Audio Monitors, Laney L5T, Various pedals, Fender Standard Strat w/Seymour Duncan SSL-1 - SSL-5 Pups, Hamer, Yamaha & Washburn Guitars, M-Audio Oxygen 49 3rd Gen,

feedback50
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 564
    Re:WARNING: ASUS Motherboard & Windows 7 Problem! Serious High-Pitched Noise Issues 2010/10/10 13:02:51 (permalink)
    I suppose any motor or inductor based component can emit high frequency noise. I most often have had issues with switching power supplies going into oscillation. This could be the supply itself, or the supply reacting to an overload condition caused by the motherboard or other components. (I've actually seen this pop up intermittently from hard drive issues). I'm not sure how Win7 specifically would force this issue unless there is something odd going on with power-management.

Although in the past I've had good luck with Asus boards, I quit using them a year or so ago, but not due to noise. I had one of their boards fail to boot after working correctly for less than 6 months.  (Tried swapping power supply, memory, cpu, hard disk, etc). I managed to get an RMA under warrantee after weeks of following their tech-support suggestions. After 8 weeks they sent me a replacement board that was so warped I could hardly get it into the case. Needless to say, it didn't work at all. I then replaced the board with a new Gigabyte equivalent mother board. Same CPU, hard drive, same memory, all peripherals. All came up on the first try (and it's still running 18 months later). Sad, because I used to believe they were one of the highest quality board makers.
    gustabo
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2591
    Re:WARNING: ASUS Motherboard & Windows 7 Problem! Serious High-Pitched Noise Issues 2010/10/10 13:11:44 (permalink)
    No problem here.
    P7P55D PRO

Cakewalk by Bandlab - Win10 Pro x64 - StudioCat Platinum Studio DAW - 32 GB Ram - MOTU UltraLite-mk3
    M-Audio Keystation 88ES - Akai MPD26 (hot-rodded) - Alesis DM10 - a few guitars, a few amps
    Novation Launch Control - Korg nanoKONTROL2 - PreSonus FaderPort - DAW Remote HD on iPad
    Adam A7X - Behritone C50A
    PreSonus Monitor Station v2 (controlling the mons)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/sonarusergroup/

Martin Barret
    Re:WARNING: ASUS Motherboard & Windows 7 Problem! Serious High-Pitched Noise Issues 2010/10/10 15:05:52 (permalink)
    Modified my post, as requested. 

I have got the idea that I need a better power-supply for this system.  Can anyone make a good recommendation then - it is apparently a coil-noise issue and there's some guy on Youtube with the very same sound.  Listen/see here:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeahtqeTrGo

Any thoughts now that you hear this for yourselves?  Power-supply issue which in turn affects the power-management?

Please & Thanks!

Martin B.

Gilly78
    Re:WARNING: ASUS Motherboard & Windows 7 Problem! Serious High-Pitched Noise Issues 2010/10/10 15:25:50 (permalink)
    That noise on the vid is bad, particularly as it seems to change tone.  When I heard it in CRT's it either got louder or quieter but was always the same tone... Mind you it was 11 years ago so...

Sure I read somewhere that it could be induced in the mobo by the PSU.

What PSU do you have now and what's it's power rating (Peak)?

Seasonic and Corsair do good PSU's.  Worth spending as much as you can on them regardless of the noise issue.  Can you get hold of one from somewhere to test, see if it makes a difference?

perfectprint
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 862
    Re:WARNING: ASUS Motherboard & Windows 7 Problem! Serious High-Pitched Noise Issues 2010/10/10 21:54:02 (permalink)

So where exactly is the noise coming from then? The power supply?

Replace the power supply.  As I mentioned above, I went through 2 Corsair 450w before finding a silent solution with their 650.

Sonar Platinum                      

wormser
    Re:WARNING: ASUS Motherboard & Windows 7 Problem! Serious High-Pitched Noise Issues 2010/10/10 23:09:53 (permalink)
    With CRT's and older TV sets BTW, the high pitched whine was usually the flyback transformer windings/laminations coming loose. That's why if you smacked the side of the TV/monitor, the sound would change pitch or go away all together.  Sometimes the circuitry was marginal and the 15khz tone could be heard coming from that as well.

post edited by wormser - 2010/10/10 23:12:50
    dontletmedrown
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1722
    Re:WARNING: ASUS Motherboard & Windows 7 Problem! Serious High-Pitched Noise Issues 2010/10/11 00:54:08 (permalink)
    I'm using an Asus board - P6T LGA.  No noise problems here.  The problem I do have (after months of troubleshooting) is that I get digital "hiccups" about once every 3 hours.  I've tried many things (Win settings, Sonar settings, defrag, upgraded power supply, removed UAD cards, all to no avail. My next step is to replace the mobo but I have jobs thru November so I'm not exactly stoked to gut my main DAW.
    wormser
    Re:WARNING: ASUS Motherboard & Windows 7 Problem! Serious High-Pitched Noise Issues 2010/10/11 02:54:49 (permalink)
    dontletmedrown

I'm using an Asus board - P6T LGA.  No noise problems here.  The problem I do have (after months of troubleshooting) is that I get digital "hiccups" about once every 3 hours.  I've tried many things (Win settings, Sonar settings, defrag, upgraded power supply, removed UAD cards, all to no avail. My next step is to replace the mobo but I have jobs thru November so I'm not exactly stoked to gut my main DAW.

If you can set your watch by the hiccup, then it's probably not the board.

I would boot the machine, set a timer on your watch, come back 2.5 hours later and then start a DPC latency checker and sit and wait.

Something, a service, program, virus, who knows is being kicked off at a specific interval, ie:3 hours, and giving you grief.

feedback50
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 564
    Re:WARNING: ASUS Motherboard & Windows 7 Problem! Serious High-Pitched Noise Issues 2010/10/11 12:27:49 (permalink)
    I would go for the beefiest (hi wattage) supply you can find of reasonable quality. (Don't cheap-out here). I also would look at the fan size (generally big fan = low speed = quieter). Some supplies are designed for low noise. In some situations a constant-inverter type UPS (where there is no switch-over time) can help supplies last longer if you are suffering from transient issues on the AC side. Also confirm the grounds are good to your PC power (via AC mains). I ended up putting a hard ground (from a cold water pipe) to my PC and rackmount gear (also helped a hum problem). Beware of potential ground loop issues if multiple grounds are used.
    Martin Barret
    Re:WARNING: ASUS Motherboard & Windows 7 Problem! Serious High-Pitched Noise Issues 2010/10/14 22:31:34 (permalink)
    Weird.  Just downloaded about 18 updates for Windows.  Then I (for no reason than I think God had seen me struggle enough!) had a problem with my video & monitor, so I updated my Nvidia drivers and rebooted.  Reset the CPU idle thingy back to the way it was and no more weird noise.  I haven't rebooted for a full test, but I'm hopeful that the combination of two sets of updated fixed this issue once-and-for-all.

CPU fan now runs cool when it's not so encumbered, and heavier if more of a load on the CPU.  Like it's supposed to.

Martin
    post edited by Martin Barret - 2010/10/15 01:40:48
    jeffb9363
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 642
    Re:WARNING: ASUS Motherboard & Windows 7 Problem! Serious High-Pitched Noise Issues 2010/10/15 07:43:49 (permalink)
    Excellent news.

Studio:
    X1P on Q9550 @ 3.4Ghz P45 8Gb DDR3. W7 x64. MOTU 1296, 2408 Mk3. TC-Helicon Voiceworks. BCF2000. 
    Stage:
    Cantabile Performer 2 on E8600 @ 4Ghz P45 8Gb DDR2. W7 x64. 2408 Mk3, TC-Helicon Harmony-M.
    wormser
    Re:WARNING: ASUS Motherboard & Windows 7 Problem! Serious High-Pitched Noise Issues 2010/10/15 09:32:16 (permalink)
    Possibly something in the video driver was amiss causing the video card  hardware to emanate spurious noise or something.

These days I've seen so many weird bugs fixed with firmware, driver upgrades, nothing would surprise me.

It's a real long shot though so I hope it stays fixed!

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1