Helpful ReplyATH-M50x headphones have me questioning my bass mix

Author
cparmerlee
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1153
2017/11/04 03:31:47 (permalink)

ATH-M50x headphones have me questioning my bass mix

I just got the ATH-M50x headphones.  These were at Sam Ash, where they had a nice display where you could listen to a dozen different headphones.  I did some blind testing with a friend.  As an aside, some of the best sounding headphones, IMHO, were Samsons in the $60-$90 range.  But this ATH-M50x had an extra bit of clarity, even beyond the best Sennheiser phones they had on display, according to my ears anyway.

When I got home, I immediately listened to some music I had recently mixed.  I was shocked by how strong the bass was -- to the point of booming and somewhat crowding out even mid-range material.  I went back to my near-field monitors, which are Yamaha MSP5 and the bass was quite subtle.  Granted the Yamahas have only 5" drivers and I don't use a sub, but I really didn't expect THAT much difference.

I also tried a set of decent ear buds, which sound a lot like the Yamaha mix to me.  I had already tested the mix through some mid-range Altec computer speakers and again, the balance was a lot like the MSP5.

So it really is the AT headphones that are different.

I wonder how common this is to find the bass much stronger in high-end headphones.  And considering that few people will be listening to the music through such headphones, do you adjust the mix based on what you hear in the headphones?  I think I could adjust the compression on the bass to keep the punch but limit the boom after the transients and that might be a little better for all listening modes.  I'll have to check the mix again, but the bass may have been running into the verb buses a little, and I could probably dial that back.

A few weeks back, the client for that recording project was playing the music through his car stereo and the bass was really dominant.  He liked it that way, even though I didn't think that was a very natural sound.  I had assumed he had an EQ on the car stereo with the bass really cranked.  He did have the bass cranked a bit, but I am thinking his car stereo might have had a similar response curve to these AT headphones because I had the same reaction to both cases.

I wonder if it is time to upgrade those MSP5s.  I suspect they roll off below 150 Hz more than I thought.

DAW: SONAR Platinum Audio I/F: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen2
OS: Windows 10 64-bit CPU: Haswell 4790 4.0 GHz, 4 core, 8 thread  Memory: 16 GB      Video: GTX-760Ti
Storage: Sandisk SSD 500GB for active projects. ReadyNAS 20 TB for long-term storage

sonocrafters.com
JonD
Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3617
Re: ATH-M50x headphones have me questioning my bass mix 2017/11/04 16:52:57 (permalink)
cparmerlee
I just got the ATH-M50x headphones. ...  I was shocked by how strong the bass was -- to the point of booming and somewhat crowding out even mid-range material.  I went back to my near-field monitors, which are Yamaha MSP5 and the bass was quite subtle.  Granted the Yamahas have only 5" drivers and I don't use a sub, but I really didn't expect THAT much difference.

I wonder how common this is to find the bass much stronger in high-end headphones.  And considering that few people will be listening to the music through such headphones, do you adjust the mix based on what you hear in the headphones?

The ATH-M50x phones are giving you a truer representation of your low end.  Think about it -- you've been using speakers with 5" woofers -- no way you're going to come close to an accurate bass on those.  

Considering that most 8" speakers claim to go down to 20hz -- while yours, realistically, probably go down to 55hz -- that is a huge range of frequencies you are missing out on

Yes, it may seem like cheap earbuds and computer speakers are the norm for many people, but the reality is, you don't know who will listen to your mixes and what they're listening with...  You should be mixing so that your mixes play well on all systems.  That's done by monitoring with full-frequency-response speakers, then tweaking as you also listen on smaller speakers.  You might consider getting a subwoofer to augment your speaker system, while also using the ATH-M50s as a supplement.

For example, I use Yamaha HS80Ms (8" woofer) as my main ref monitors, Event ALP (5" woofer) as my "B" set, Focusrite VRM box with Beyerdynamic DT770 phones, my car speakers, and an old '90s boom box to test my mixes.

SonarPlat/CWbBL, Win 10 Pro, i7 2600K, Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, 16GB DDR3, Radeon HD5450, TC Electronic Impact Twin, Kawai MP11 Piano, Event ALP Monitors, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Too Many Plugins, My lucky hat.
cparmerlee
Re: ATH-M50x headphones have me questioning my bass mix 2017/11/04 17:33:16 (permalink)
JonD
The ATH-M50x phones are giving you a truer representation of your low end.  Think about it -- you've been using speakers with 5" woofers -- no way you're going to come close to an accurate bass on those.  

Thanks for the ideas.  I guess that is what I suspected, but it helps to hear it from somebody who has been there.  I don't think I will go with a sub because I work almost exclusively with jazz and classical stuff.   I don't do much music where a thundering bottom is expected.  And when you use a sub, there is a question of how true the LP stuff is.  I think I will look for a pair of studio monitors that are true  down to 35Hz or lower.

And then I'll go back and re-mix those recent projects.  I had been thinking about redoing the mastering step now that I have the new Ozone, but I really need to fix most of this in the mix, I think.

OS: Windows 10 64-bit CPU: Haswell 4790 4.0 GHz, 4 core, 8 thread  Memory: 16 GB      Video: GTX-760Ti
Storage: Sandisk SSD 500GB for active projects. ReadyNAS 20 TB for long-term storage

sonocrafters.com
cparmerlee
Re: ATH-M50x headphones have me questioning my bass mix 2017/11/04 22:03:16 (permalink)
Option 1: Does anybody have an opinion about the PreSonus Eris E8 speakers?  They are selling for $375 for a pair and everything I have seen is quite positive.  The specs have them covering down to 35 Hz, which is about as low as I have seen for anything without a sub, and for under $1000/speaker.

Option 2: I am also looking at the PreSonus Temblor T10 sub at $400.  That one is attractive because it does have the option to use the sub's crossover to send the HPF material to the main speakers, and has a foot switch  to alternate between modes.  If I went that direction, I would keep my Yamaha 5" monitors and leave them set flat.  But I would run the signal into the sub and then to the mains with the HPF crossover enabled (crossing over at 80Hz or 100Hz.  That should give me a fairly flat response.  The foot pedal would allow me to get back to what I am hearing today, which is pretty similar to ear buds and computer speakers.

If you had $400 to spend, which way would you go?  (Of course, if I went with Option 1, I could probably sell the Yamaha speakers for $200 so my net cost would be about $200.)  I am leaning toward Option 2 because it gives me an easy way to hear two typical setups.

sonocrafters.com
S.L.I.P.
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 949
Re: ATH-M50x headphones have me questioning my bass mix 2017/11/04 22:45:50 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby cclarry 2017/11/11 02:26:00
cparmerlee
Re: ATH-M50x headphones have me questioning my bass mix 2017/11/04 23:11:22 (permalink)
S.L.I.P.
https://www.sonarworks.com/reference

That looks like a very interesting system.  I think my main problem is that my speakers simply can't produce the low frequencies, even with an artificial boost.

sonocrafters.com
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: ATH-M50x headphones have me questioning my bass mix 2017/11/05 02:02:12 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby cparmerlee 2017/11/05 02:53:24
Those headphones do have a substantial (~6 dB) low-frequency emphasis.

It's generally agreed that headphones need a slight low-end boost to sound more like speakers, due to the way we perceive low frequencies when the drivers are that close to our ears. With real speakers, you get a natural bass boost as low frequencies are reinforced by the room. That doesn't happen with headphones, hence the need for a little more bottom in them.

However, 6 dB is bordering on too much bass emphasis, which should probably be more like 3 dB. Still, the ATH-M50s are actually highly regarded because they don't overly boost bass like so many headphones do. Compared to, say, Beatz by Dre (shudder) they're ruler-flat. But compared to more expensive cans such as a Sennheiser HD-600, they're bass-hyped.

So where does that leave you, besides confused? Well, knowing that the headphones are going to present a little more bass than a high-end speaker would, you can compensate for that. You never want to mix/master specifically for your headphones anyway, since few others will ever hear those mixes on the same headphones. You want to mix and master for the statistical mean, which you can now do because you know that your headphones are delivering just a bit more bass than you'd hear on high-end speakers in an acoustically-treated room.

In practical terms, it means that if the mix sounds overly bassy in the cans, you can take that to the bank - it really is too bassy. It means that if the mix sounds bass-weak, then you can likewise accept that as fact - it really is bass-weak. It's only in that relatively small range between obviously-too-much and obviously-too-little where the uncertainty lies.

Fortunately, there's an easy way around that. Tonight, strap on those headphones and fall asleep listening to your favorite commercial music, specifically records that you'd like to emulate. Do that every night for a week. I guarantee that after that, you will know exactly how much bass needs to be in those headphones to sound like a professional mix.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
Cactus Music
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: ATH-M50x headphones have me questioning my bass mix 2017/11/05 05:25:49 (permalink)
I have Yamaha NSM 10's.. They are well know to lack any bottom. I have gotten used to that and I know how much bass I'm going to get. I also put the LP multi band on my master buss which works like a spectral analyzer and will show me which frequencies are hot. 

I bought a Yamaha Sub from Goodwill for $25. They have home system subs all the time. I actually now have 3 of them, 2 are Yamaha's one is a Altec. All were under $30 and all thump out a lot of bass. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

brconflict
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1891
Re: ATH-M50x headphones have me questioning my bass mix 2017/11/09 18:42:31 (permalink)
Also, keep in mind that Closed-back headphones can sometimes exhibit a perceptively tighter, fuller bass than open-back cans. The headphones bitflipper referenced, the HD-600's, won't exhibit a build-up of bass, even naturally. What sets those more expensive ones apart is that, ideally, they aren't exactly designed to be 'pleasant' to listen to for hours. They should expose issues in a mix (if touted as 'reference') headphones. Accuracy over enjoyment.

I shot out three sets of reference style cans here and I could tell difference, even with these headsets. None of them exhibit a real noticeable bass boost. I kept the AKG k712 Pro, not really because I found them to sound the best of the three sets, but because I felt they would make my judgements of a mix much more translatable to other systems. They do pretty well, although I think vocals/elec.-guitars tend to be slightly lower in the mix in these headphones. Minor things.

I've used AT-M40fs cans for years, and have multiple pairs for tracking bands. They are notably stronger/fuller in the bass than the reference sets I tried. But they still sound quite good, considering. I never had any complaints--beautiful, deep low-end. I can only surmise that the M50x's are even better, and certainly for the price!!

Brian

Sonar Platinum, Steinberg Wavelab Pro 9, MOTU 24CoreIO w/ low-slew OP-AMP mods and BLA external clock, True P8, Audient ASP008, API 512c, Chandler Germ500, Summit 2ba-221, GAP Pre-73, Peluso 22251, Peluso 2247LE, Mackie HR824, Polk Audio SRS-SDA 2.3tl w/upgraded Soniccraft crossovers and Goertz cables, powered by Pass-X350. All wiring Star-Quad XLR or Monster Cable. Power by Monster Power Signature AVS2000 voltage stabilizer and Signature Pro Power 5100 PowerCenter on a 20A isolation shielded circuit.
cparmerlee
Re: ATH-M50x headphones have me questioning my bass mix 2017/11/09 19:11:42 (permalink)
I received the Presonus Temblor T10 yesterday.  I feed from the audio IF to the two inputs on the sub, and then output to the satellite speakers.  I had intended to set the back panel at unity gain, 80 hz crossover (as that is supposedly where the internal LPF crosses over and HPF switch set to the on position.  I thought this would give me the original satellite sound when the sub is disabled, but would take out 50-80 Hz (roughly) from the satellites when the sub is engaged.  Here is the back panel:
https://www-media-presonus.netdna-ssl.com/uploads/products/media/images/Temblor%20T10-04.png

The unity gain was too high for those 5" satellites.  I had to go to about 30% on the gain.  It sounds pretty good, but I really cannot hear any difference in the satellites whether I have the HPF switch on or off. 

I turned the gain on the sub to zero so I could hear the satellites.  They sound the same to me whether the sub is engaged or not and whether the HPF switch is on or off.  I have a Waves plug in that does sine waves at specific frequencies.  I plan to do some testing with that to see if I can satisfy myself the crossover is actually working as described.

All of that aside, my monitors now sound fairly similar to the headphones.  That is, either setup now highlights the problems I had in the mic below 50 Hz, so that is progress.  I had no idea a mistake in this range could mess up the mix so badly.

sonocrafters.com
Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
Re: ATH-M50x headphones have me questioning my bass mix 2017/11/10 16:30:36 (permalink)
Double helpful on what Dave said. I have used those headphones for years. First the ATH M50 and now the ATH M50x. I never rely on them when I mix bass, or any headphones. I get better mixes on monitors when mixing bass.
They are good for mixing the mids and highs. Even the upper ranges of bass. Not so good for mixing bass though.

Long mix sessions on monitors at lower volume seems to help my ears hear the balances better. Long mixes on headphones cause ear fatigue which changes how I hear a mix. We tend to want the music louder on headphones. Probably trying to hear the mids over the bass. This causes ear fatigue, and in turn, causes us to make bad mix decisions.

Try mixing on phones for three or four hours. Get the mix sounding good. Now the next day listen to it again on monitors. I have never save a mix I made like this.

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

dcumpian
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4124
Re: ATH-M50x headphones have me questioning my bass mix 2017/11/13 13:16:36 (permalink)
Starise
Double helpful on what Dave said. I have used those headphones for years. First the ATH M50 and now the ATH M50x. I never rely on them when I mix bass, or any headphones. I get better mixes on monitors when mixing bass.
They are good for mixing the mids and highs. Even the upper ranges of bass. Not so good for mixing bass though.

Long mix sessions on monitors at lower volume seems to help my ears hear the balances better. Long mixes on headphones cause ear fatigue which changes how I hear a mix. We tend to want the music louder on headphones. Probably trying to hear the mids over the bass. This causes ear fatigue, and in turn, causes us to make bad mix decisions.

Try mixing on phones for three or four hours. Get the mix sounding good. Now the next day listen to it again on monitors. I have never save a mix I made like this.

I have a different attitude. On my rig, I use the M50's and I do rely on them for the bass. This is mostly because I can actually hear the bass with these cans. That does not mean that critical listening/mixing through monitors isn't necessary, because it still is. Only that I can get a well defined bass with these cans and then confirm it through monitors, including a sub. That gives me two reference points before I have to take the mix out of my mixing environment.

Regards,
Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
batsbrew
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re: ATH-M50x headphones have me questioning my bass mix 2017/11/13 15:10:12 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby dcumpian 2017/11/13 16:21:33
i have found that full range ear buds, decent quality,
will tell you more about your deep bass than the monitors or the regular headphones.

that said, i only use them for checking the lowest bass...

the way that the bass translates thru the monitors, is most important.

if you are hearing lots of bass in the ear buds, but not much thru the monitors,
then your eq for the bass is out of whack.

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

cparmerlee
Re: ATH-M50x headphones have me questioning my bass mix 2017/11/13 15:34:10 (permalink)
This experience has pushed me to do more testing of a mix on different speaker combinations.  And that includes mono.  I mostly ignored mono until now.  Often it is OK, but I have been surprised ad haw much the mix can change between stereo and mono.  I have a few songs where the vocal really slipped into the background on mono, even though the vox was dead center.  I think I tended to overuse panning and stereo width.

Having said that, it seems all "wideners" are not equal in this regard.  The Waves and Izotope wideners seem to be more mono-friendly than some others.  Could that be true or am I imagining it?

sonocrafters.com
dcumpian
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4124
Re: ATH-M50x headphones have me questioning my bass mix 2017/11/13 16:22:28 (permalink)
cparmerlee

Having said that, it seems all "wideners" are not equal in this regard.  The Waves and Izotope wideners seem to be more mono-friendly than some others.  Could that be true or am I imagining it?

It is very true. It really depends on what the wideners are doing.

Regards,
Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
cparmerlee
Re: ATH-M50x headphones have me questioning my bass mix 2017/11/13 17:32:39 (permalink)
dcumpian
It really depends on what the wideners are doing.

For several years, I had used the Nomad Factory BT Stereo Imager that Cakewalk made available to its X3 users.  That has a very seductive quality that can really make you feel close to the performance.  But when you use that aggressively, it seems to do poorly with mono.

I have used the Izotope Ozone imager for awhile.  Its effects are much less dramatic than the Nomad plug, but I don't hear nay  problems going to mono.

I recently got the Waves imager.  This seems to be the best of both worlds, giving the ability to go aggressive like the Nomad one, but to my ears, it does better with mono than the Nomad.

sonocrafters.com
Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
Re: ATH-M50x headphones have me questioning my bass mix 2017/11/15 20:12:23 (permalink)
When I mix only on headphones my bass seems to suffer on stereo speaker systems. If I get it right on the monitors, then it usually sounds good on earbuds, this statement seems like it should be opposite, but that's how it usually works. I make bad bass decisions on headphones, usually pulling out too much bass and then the music on monitors is bass wimpy. 
When going back to headphones on the same mix, the bass is ok. The outcome might be different for someone who uses monitors in an untreated space. I use ARC when I monitor without headphones. ARC tends to notch out a lot of the bass. In reality it really isn't eliminating the bass, what it's doing is eliminating the influence of that small room and evening out the frequencies Anyone who is in a smallish like 12' square or less room will have standing bass waves. The ATH-M50X has a slight bump in the mid bass ranges. As long as you know about it you can compensate for it.
I use the ATH-M50's mostly for mixing anything above the mid bass. I might even run my bass down when I mix on them which isn't a bad idea to make sure you have everything above that right. Then the bass is a back and forth kind of thing I do between the phones and the monitors. NEVER have I had the bottom end right only using the headphones.

I've spent 2 hours on a mix late in the evening on headphones, came back the next day and almost cried the mix was so bad.

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

prashant123
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: ATH-M50x headphones have me questioning my bass mix 2018/01/05 04:14:57 (permalink)
 you can take that to the bank - it really is too bassy. It means that if the mix sounds bass-weak, then you can likewise accept that as fact - it really is bass-weak. It's only in that relatively small range between obviously-too-much and obviously-too-little where the uncertainty lies.

vinaychandel121
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: ATH-M50x headphones have me questioning my bass mix 2018/01/08 06:55:29 (permalink)
the audio models are the best headphones in existence in my opinion. Best sound by far.
prashant123
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: ATH-M50x headphones have me questioning my bass mix 2018/01/08 06:58:40 (permalink)
I have auditioned the and I have also used Beats for DJing. For me and my personal tastes and listening habits
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1