AUTOHARP - a new virtual instrument for Dim Pro and ARIA

Author
rbowser
Max Output Level: -10 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6518
2012/05/23 21:47:10 (permalink)

AUTOHARP - a new virtual instrument for Dim Pro and ARIA

MEG Autoharp by Oscar Schmidt circa early 1970's

Above is the Autoharp I've had since the early 1970's. It's in excellent condition. I've sampled it thoroughly, and programmed an Autoharp virtual instrument for the Garritan ARIA Player. It's the most complex SFZ instrument I've so far put together.

FEATURES:

--528 24 bit samples.

--All 127 MIDI notes - 10 1/2 octaves of sound.

--SEVEN ARTICULATION LAYERS for each chord.

--Release samples on all chords.

--Pick noise controlled by Mod Wheel.

--Automatic damping noise controlled by Sustain Pedal.

--Three octaves of single notes plus alternates.

--Six octaves of chords.

--Open string strums for atmospheric pads.

--Other effects - key noises, plucks, etc.

Here's an MP3 montage with five segments, demonstrating the Autoharp as a rhythm instrument, as a melodic instrument, and in ensemble with other instruments:

AUTOHARP DEMO

Click below for more demos, more information and the download link to MIDI files, MP3s, a manual featuring a detailed keyboard map of the samples, and the folder with the SFZ file and samples:

AUTOHARP INFO AND DOWNLOAD 

Please notice the Pay Pal button on the download page.  As of June 16th, the full instrument download is only available after $10 has been sent through Pay Pal.  You'll be sent the download link within 24 hours after that.  Thanks.

This is a very detailed virtual instrument, making for a substantially sized folder of data. The Zip file is 217 MB, unzipped size is 233 MBs. The manual includes the simple installation instructions.

Though the Autoharp is used most often in folk and country music, I feel it would also add an interesting texture to other musical genres.

Randy B.
post edited by rbowser - 2012/06/21 00:49:54

Sonar X3e Studio
Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
Alesis i|O2 interface
Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
with dual monitors

15 Replies Related Threads

dubdisciple
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5849
    Re:AUTOHARP - a new virtual instrument for Dim Pro and ARIA 2012/05/24 16:47:54 (permalink)
    i think this is pretty cool.  Not sure how i would use it but I applaud the result of your efforts
    rbowser
    Re:AUTOHARP - a new virtual instrument for Dim Pro and ARIA 2012/05/24 17:08:32 (permalink)
    dubdisciple

i think this is pretty cool.  Not sure how i would use it but I applaud the result of your efforts

Thanks, Dubdisciple!  It was a rather large project - very interesting to work on my largest SFZ project to date.

I understand how this instrument may not exactly pop up in your mind as a "must have" instrument --hehe--But, ya never know when you might need a bit of that funky Ziiing! that an Auto-Zither like this can provide!

Appreciate your post.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    dubdisciple
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5849
    Re:AUTOHARP - a new virtual instrument for Dim Pro and ARIA 2012/05/24 17:20:20 (permalink)
    I will at least demo it.  i work in advertising so i never know what may be needed.  I find the SFZ format fascinating but just have too many other things on my plate to jump into it with any gusto.
    rbowser
    Re:AUTOHARP - a new virtual instrument for Dim Pro and ARIA 2012/05/27 13:28:03 (permalink)
    dubdisciple

I will at least demo it.  i work in advertising so i never know what may be needed.  I find the SFZ format fascinating but just have too many other things on my plate to jump into it with any gusto.

Great, "Dub" - I hope you do try it out.  So far I've been in conversation with people using it in the Garritan ARIA Player, but don't have feedback yet from any Dim Pro users.  It would help me out to know how it goes.  Autoharp plays perfectly in Dim here on my machine, but need to know if all goes well with other Sonar users.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    Beepster
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 18001
    Re:AUTOHARP - a new virtual instrument for Dim Pro and ARIA 2012/05/27 14:53:01 (permalink)
    Could someone run it to a padKontrol and play it like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YocCrCGIU6A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QGAZuSWq7Y

Thought you guys might find that amusing. I wanna figure out how to make my pK work like that. :-)
    arachnaut
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1168
    Re:AUTOHARP - a new virtual instrument for Dim Pro and ARIA 2012/05/29 00:45:35 (permalink)
    Got it, bought it, like it, now I need to use it.

It is a very fine piece of work, well thought-out and implemented.

The use of the Pitch wheel to select samples is quite useful, plus the pedals and other stuff.

You spend a lot of time on this, well worth the $10.

- Jim Hurley -
    SONAR Platinum - x64  - Windows 10 Pro 
    ASUS P8P67 PRO Rev 3.0;  Core i7-2600K@4.4GHz; 16 GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X;
    GeForce GT 740; Saffire Pro14 MixControl 3.7; Axiom 61
    64-Bit audio, SR: 48kHz, ASIO 256 samples latency, Rec/Play I/O Buffers 512k, Total Round Trip Latency 13 ms, Pow-r 3 dither 
    arachnaut
    Re:AUTOHARP - a new virtual instrument for Dim Pro and ARIA 2012/05/29 00:49:20 (permalink)
    By the way, in my musical generation process, I rarely use any sampled instrument in a native output mode - I always process it heavily with other add-on effects (especially Kore and Reaktor-based effects). So this is useful for me in generating strummed sequences (and so on) which modulate into interesting soundscapes.

- Jim Hurley -
    64-Bit audio, SR: 48kHz, ASIO 256 samples latency, Rec/Play I/O Buffers 512k, Total Round Trip Latency 13 ms, Pow-r 3 dither 
    rbowser
    Re:AUTOHARP - a new virtual instrument for Dim Pro and ARIA 2012/05/29 10:06:18 (permalink)
    arachnaut

Got it, bought it, like it, now I need to use it.

It is a very fine piece of work, well thought-out and implemented.

The use of the Pitch wheel to select samples is quite useful, plus the pedals and other stuff.

You spend a lot of time on this, well worth the $10.
    Nice!  This is a great review, and I really appreciate it, arachnaut.

And what you said in your other post, #7, is super - that you want to warp out those strums for your heavily processed soundscapes.  I really like hearing about using the Autoharp in a way beyond straight-ahead, emulative way.  Intriguing!  That could inspire other people to experiment with the sample set.  Thanks!

Randy

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    arachnaut
    Re:AUTOHARP - a new virtual instrument for Dim Pro and ARIA 2012/05/29 20:01:36 (permalink)
    arachnaut

By the way, in my musical generation process, I rarely use any sampled instrument in a native output mode - I always process it heavily with other add-on effects (especially Kore and Reaktor-based effects). So this is useful for me in generating strummed sequences (and so on) which modulate into interesting soundscapes.

Here is a very simple example of what usually I do, using Autoharp as an example:

I took the Autoharp MIDI clip of the Twilight Zone intro and repeated it a few times with a different set of effects tools on each. The first is the raw Dimension Pro output, the others run it through various Reaktor effects, a different one for each clip.

I did not automate any settings for simplicity, but I usually will start with something like these and add more effects in series until I run out of CPU or it gets too weird. Then I would automate various parameters to add some life.

http://www.arachnaut.net/audio/Autoharp/TwilightZoned.wav 

- Jim Hurley -
    rbowser
    Re:AUTOHARP - a new virtual instrument for Dim Pro and ARIA 2012/05/29 21:42:52 (permalink)
    Great stuff, Arachnaut! The Autoharp is even more versatile than I imagined when I put it together. Thanks for posting the clip! RB

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    rbowser
    Re:AUTOHARP - a new virtual instrument for Dim Pro and ARIA 2012/06/11 14:38:29 (permalink)
    This is just too cool - If you're interested in the Autoharp, you should listen to this.  A member of the Garritan Forum did a version of John Sebastian's "You Didn't Have to Be So Nice"--- and uses the Autoharp in it.  Perfect, since Sebastian was famous for using the Autoharp.  Here's that demo:

"You Didn't Have to Be So Nice."

And if you go to the Autoharp site, please notice the Pay Pal button.  It's intended for you to use that first before downloading.  Thanks.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    Bub
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7196
    Re:AUTOHARP - a new virtual instrument for Dim Pro and ARIA 2012/06/20 12:24:22 (permalink)
    Hi Randy,

I see the download for this has been removed from Box.net.

Is it still available?

If it is, how well does it work with Dim Pro x64?

Also, how does it do for playing melody's or is it strictly for doing chord work?

I have a couple of acoustic type songs I'd like to use this in.

Thanks,

Bub.

"I pulled the head off Elvis, filled Fred up to his pelvis, yaba daba do, the King is gone, and so are you."
    rbowser
    Re:AUTOHARP - a new virtual instrument for Dim Pro and ARIA 2012/06/20 12:43:42 (permalink)
    Bub

Hi Randy,

I see the download for this has been removed from Box.net.

Is it still available?

If it is, how well does it work with Dim Pro x64?

Also, how does it do for playing melody's or is it strictly for doing chord work?

I have a couple of acoustic type songs I'd like to use this in.

Thanks,

Bub.

Hi, Bub - Thanks for your interest in the Autoharp!

Yeah, the folder with the actual instrument, the samples and SFZ file, have been moved to a separate folder at Box.  It's definitely still available, I just had to change the distribution system.  

Only about 1.5% of the people downloading the instrument were paying for it, and that's not quite what I had in mind. So now it's a straight forward purchase.

$10 sent through PayPal gets an email response from me within 24 hours with the download link.

This has been tested in Dim Pro and works perfectly, 32 and 64 bit.  Just make your Dim is aware of it so it can show up, and use that Dim Program file that I have at Box because it has the pitch bend set correctly for the Autoharp (no bend).

Yes, it can be used for melody lines.  It has 3 octaves of single notes (all the strings on the instrument) plus two octaves of alternate samples.  People have especially commented on how nice the tone is on those strings.

If you get this, be sure to get the manual.  It's just 4 pages, but the main thing is the chart that shows where all the samples are located (all 127 MIDI notes are used) and how to use them.

Thanks again.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    Bub
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7196
    Re:AUTOHARP - a new virtual instrument for Dim Pro and ARIA 2012/06/20 22:09:09 (permalink)
    Hi Randy,

I have a couple songs this would be perfect for, and I have no problem with $10. It's quite obvious a lot of work went in to this and I think that's more than a fair price to ask.

I see no difference between downloading this without paying for it than I do for downloading Komplete 8 Ultimate without paying for it. It's not right.

I have a painfully slow connection that keeps dropping out. I hope I can use a download utility with Box.net.

I'll hook up with Paypal tomorrow.

Thanks,

Bub.

"I pulled the head off Elvis, filled Fred up to his pelvis, yaba daba do, the King is gone, and so are you."
    rbowser
    Re:AUTOHARP - a new virtual instrument for Dim Pro and ARIA 2012/06/21 00:47:35 (permalink)
    Bub

Hi Randy,

I have a couple songs this would be perfect for, and I have no problem with $10. It's quite obvious a lot of work went in to this and I think that's more than a fair price to ask.

I see no difference between downloading this without paying for it than I do for downloading Komplete 8 Ultimate without paying for it. It's not right.

I have a painfully slow connection that keeps dropping out. I hope I can use a download utility with Box.net.

I'll hook up with Paypal tomorrow.

Thanks,

Bub.

Well, thank you very much, Bub.

I'm not comfortable with you paying before you're sure that you'll be able to download the instrument from Box.  You should be able to use your download helper - But I'm going to send you a PM with the download link so you can try it first. If the download works OK and you're set up, then you can do the PayPal thing.  I'll feel better about that.  

Hope it works for you though, since it sounds like you could get good use out of the Autoharp.
    Look for a PM.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1