Abigail - New Rock Acoustic

Author
ruralrocker2010
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 616
2012/03/21 11:20:10 (permalink)

Abigail - New Rock Acoustic

Guys,

Here's another idea. The backstory on this song - is that I was reading a furniture magazine and strumming my guitar. Capoed, but liked the key, so I kept it. I was singing the words in the magazine and came up with this melody and loved it. The name abigail isn't a woman, it's a dresser. But dont' tell anyone, less'n I get famous!

Here's the song; I'd really like to know how people 30 and above respond to this song. I think this is part of where I'm heading as an artist. Like previous posts, this is just a scratch pad. Just meant to make sure I don't forget what I came up with. I appreciate any and all crits...

http://soundcloud.com/joshua-barnes/abigail

Joshua Barnes
Sonar Platinum / RME UCX / i5 3.2 8 GB Memory (Dell Inspiron) / Komplete 10 / Win 7 Home 64 Bit

12 Replies Related Threads

Rimshot
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4625
    Re:Abigail - New Rock Acoustic 2012/03/21 11:26:14 (permalink)
    Hi Joshua,

I am over 30 and I am not really excited over this song.  I like that you put yourself out there though!  Vocal is pitchy and maybe a 1/2 step too high.  However, writing a song about Abigail takes a lot of nerve.  That's a hard name to sing out.

Rimshot
    :)

Rimshot 

Sonar Platinum 64 (Lifer), Studio One V3.5, Notion 6, Steinberg UR44, Zoom R24, Purrrfect Audio Pro Studio DAW (Case: Silent Mid Tower, Power Supply: 600w quiet, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz (8 threads), RAM: 16GB DDR3/1600 
    , OS drive: 1TB HD, Audio drive: 1TB HD), Windows 10 x64 Anniversary, Equator D5 monitors, Faderport, FP8, Akai MPK261
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Abigail - New Rock Acoustic 2012/03/21 11:28:40 (permalink)
    I like the recording in this better then the end of days tune...

It's more intimate with the mic.   Songs with girls' names...... ummmmm... reminded me of Angie in a few places. 

Are you gonna fix it and expand it? 

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    ruralrocker2010
    Re:Abigail - New Rock Acoustic 2012/03/21 11:31:22 (permalink)
    Rimshot - thanks bro. Appreciate the feedback. I do hear the pitchy parts, but overall I don't think they pull that much attention away from it idea of the song. But I could be wrong about that.

Does it sound like I'm struggling? I'm not. It's just a pulled chest sound. Wanted to make it throatier, so it's a style thing I'm experimenting with. Perhaps thinner and more brassy is better for me.

Joshua Barnes
    Sonar Platinum / RME UCX / i5 3.2 8 GB Memory (Dell Inspiron) / Komplete 10 / Win 7 Home 64 Bit
    ruralrocker2010
    Re:Abigail - New Rock Acoustic 2012/03/21 11:34:33 (permalink)
    GH,

I think that's what I'm trying to figure out - i've got about 16 of these kinds of songs and I'm trying to figure out which ones should go full production. I like this song because of certain aspects of it and in an intimate setting I think it could be really cool. Ultimately I'm trying to vet what I think, publicly. I think the risk of being an artist is being too afraid to do something you don't like, or something you don't think is your best work; but frankly, I do because sometimes I get surprised and actually learn something about myself through other peoples feedback.

Joshua Barnes
    Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:Abigail - New Rock Acoustic 2012/03/21 11:44:11 (permalink)
    Hi Joshua, your vocal in this sounds very earnest if not quite perfect.  Once I noted in another song that it sounded like your key was too high, but you said that you were singing in the middle of your range.  If that's so then you are correct in saying that maybe you should try another technique.  You have a fine voice, but it sounds raw sometimes.  The guitar sounds nice and full, and the performance is good.  I'm impressed by your prolific songwriting.  Keep em coming.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    ruralrocker2010
    Re:Abigail - New Rock Acoustic 2012/03/21 12:10:00 (permalink)
    your vocal in this sounds very earnest if not quite perfect

Lynn

Hi Joshua, your vocal in this sounds very earnest if not quite perfect.  Once I noted in another song that it sounded like your key was too high, but you said that you were singing in the middle of your range.  If that's so then you are correct in saying that maybe you should try another technique.  You have a fine voice, but it sounds raw sometimes.  The guitar sounds nice and full, and the performance is good.  I'm impressed by your prolific songwriting.  Keep em coming.

I'm not sure what that means. Can you try to lay on me in the ungentle way? I also realize that some people may completely love it...so it's all relative. I'm just working through it to learn what I can.

Joshua Barnes
    Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:Abigail - New Rock Acoustic 2012/03/21 13:05:15 (permalink)
    OK, I think that you sing with soul, but your vocal technique is amateurish.  My only suggestion would be to rehearse until you are comfortable with the performance.  Obviously, since I don't know your methods, I could be completely wrong, but I'm must be hearing what Rimshot hears.  Regardless, you have a good texture to your voice, but I think you haven't found your true voice, yet.  At least, consider V-Vocal or some other pitch correction software to tighten up some of your notes.  I hope this clarifies things.
    ruralrocker2010

your vocal in this sounds very earnest if not quite perfect

Lynn

I'm not sure what that means. Can you try to lay on me in the ungentle way? I also realize that some people may completely love it...so it's all relative. I'm just working through it to learn what I can.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    Rimshot
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4625
    Re:Abigail - New Rock Acoustic 2012/03/21 14:22:21 (permalink)
    I agree with your comments Lynn.  Trying the same song in a couple of different keys and with lighter stronger delivery, and chest vs. throat can help you Joshua hear ALL the possibilities your voice has.  When I was in bands, we would check the key of the song all the time to see what worked the best for the vocals.  Once we had the range, it really helps the song presentation because you then concentrate on the whole emotion of the song rather than a technical issue.

Your song writing shows much promise because it is original and you are not trying to knock the world out.  When you write for yourself first, you will have a good chance of bringing others in.  Your song writing will improve and you just need to work on delivery.  It's all there to work with.

Rimshot 

Rimshot 

Sonar Platinum 64 (Lifer), Studio One V3.5, Notion 6, Steinberg UR44, Zoom R24, Purrrfect Audio Pro Studio DAW (Case: Silent Mid Tower, Power Supply: 600w quiet, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz (8 threads), RAM: 16GB DDR3/1600 
    , OS drive: 1TB HD, Audio drive: 1TB HD), Windows 10 x64 Anniversary, Equator D5 monitors, Faderport, FP8, Akai MPK261
    ruralrocker2010
    Re:Abigail - New Rock Acoustic 2012/03/21 14:58:50 (permalink)
    Thank you both! 

By the way, I sang it a full step down and, frankly, it was more believable to me.

I was thinking the issue was range, but it's about that "sweet" spot I guess and finding where your low range sounds the most resonant, mid, and high, what key do they sound most resonant in....

Good to know. Never really thought about it like that before.

I'm going to drop it a whole step and re-record it.

Joshua Barnes
    jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    Re:Abigail - New Rock Acoustic 2012/03/21 16:24:37 (permalink)
    Aside from the obvious pitch problems, which is cool since it is a scratch track, I like your voice in this key. The nature of this song requires some drama, and getting close to the top of your range does the trick for me. Maybe start the first half in the lower key, but definitely get up to this one when you record it.

drumstixkev
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2709
    Re:Abigail - New Rock Acoustic 2012/03/21 20:46:25 (permalink)
    I'm over thirty and like the live vibe. Yes, your vocals are pitchy in places but didn't sound like you struggled much for the high notes.   GREAT START!

Kev
    post edited by drumstixkev - 2012/03/21 20:55:56

VoxBoxStudio music made with SONAR & SONiCA AUDIO LAB computers.   Website http://drumstixkev.wix.com/voxboxstudio 

digi2ns
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2694
    Re:Abigail - New Rock Acoustic 2012/04/06 14:14:14 (permalink)
    Loved the Song Joshua!!!

MIKE

--Dell Studio XPS I7/870 2.93 Ghz, 8GB Mem, 2-2TB Barracuda HDs, 500 GB Ext.HDD, Win7/64
    --X1 64 Pro Expanded, Dual 21" Monitors 
    --PCR500  
    --MAUDIO FastTrack Ultra
    --Mackie 1604 VLZ PRO
    --Line6 X3 Live
    --Gibson, Fender, Takamine, Schecter, Washburn
    http://pogopoppa.wix.com/5thgear#
     http://soundcloud.com/digi2ns  

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1