Author
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2819
2016/09/24 03:23:12 (permalink)
5 (1)

Ability to show IN / OUT names without name of audio card

Something simple that should not require a lot of programming brains:

I'd like to have the ability to show IN / OUT names without name of audio card i.e. instead of "MOTU AVB PRO Mic 1 Left" it'd be much better to (optionally) display it shorter like "Mic 1 Left" because then you would be able to read it off the console view instead of having to decipher funny abbreviations or hover the mouse over it to understand what is routed here.

This is particularly helpful with latest audio interfaces which allow you to change the channel names i.e. I could actually label the "KICK IN" mic as "KICK IN" mic in the autio interface routing matrix, but when it then shows in Sonar with something like "MOTU AVB PRO KICK IN Left" which is then abbreviated to "MAPKILe" it's undecipherable again ...

PS: my request for "Friendly names for Mono ASIO channels" is still also out there ...
post edited by Rob[at]Sound-Rehab - 2016/09/24 03:46:45

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
  +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 

3 Replies Related Threads

BRainbow
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 399
    Re: Ability to show IN / OUT names without name of audio card 2016/09/29 13:06:43 (permalink)
    I don't understand.  Doesn't "friendly names" already do this?  I've checked "Use friendly names" and renamed my inputs/outputs in Preferences to say "1-2" instead of " "ASIO Mackie ONYX 1-2."  The name of the sound card doesn't show up if I don't want it to. 

My only complaint is that SONAR insists on inserting the word "Stereo" before my name in the track view.  I don't want or need that, especially when screen real estate gets squished and the abbreviations kick in.  If I want "stereo" or "mono" in my name, I can add it myself.
    post edited by BRainbow - 2016/09/29 13:28:49

Cakewalk (forever), Two WIN10 64-bit DAWs: home-brew ASRock x299 Taichi / i7 7820x w/ 64GB RAM and ASUS X99A-II / i7-5820K w/ 32GB RAM, ZOOM UAC 8, Mackie ONYX 1640i FW Mixer/Interface, Mackie ONYX 1200F, Avalon U5 PreAmp, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate, EastWest Composer CloudX, Yamaha MOTIF XS8, Ensoniq SD-1 and ESQ-1, Korg M1rEX, Yamaha TX-81Z, Roland D110, Line6 HELIX Rack and Native, POD HD-Pro, POD Farm 2.5, Yamaha NS-10 and Presonus Eris E8 monitors, Yamaha Disklavier Upright Piano, mics, guitars, basses, and the cutest little tambourine.
    Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2819
    Re: Ability to show IN / OUT names without name of audio card 2016/09/30 07:55:18 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    BRainbow
    I don't understand.  Doesn't "friendly names" already do this?  I've checked "Use friendly names" and renamed my inputs/outputs in Preferences to say "1-2" instead of " "ASIO Mackie ONYX 1-2."  The name of the sound card doesn't show up if I don't want it to. 

Hi. I'm aware of that and I used  to apply this ... however, these friendly names are just being superseded by new features becoming available with latest audio interfaces. The MOTU AVB series provides incredibly complex routing options between multiple networked device, which you can manage best by naming each connection e.g. by whatever is connected to it. Smart as this new thing is, it forwards your renamed channels to the name of the ASIO channel inside Sonar (e.g. if you labelled it "LA610 pre-amp" in the MOTU routing grid, it will show up as "MOTU PRO AVB blablabla: LA610 pre-amp" inside Sonar, which is then in console view abbreviated to something like MPABLPA which is not decipherable) ... so I'd be much happier, if I could simply pick up the channel name from the device without extra pre-fix of the interface name (well, I know which one it is because using ASIO there can only be one anyway), meaning it should just say "LA 610 pre-amp" because that's what is feeding it ...

BRainbow
    My only complaint is that SONAR insists on inserting the word "Stereo" before my name in the track view.  I don't want or need that, especially when screen real estate gets squished and the abbreviations kick in.  If I want "stereo" or "mono" in my name, I can add it myself.

Yes, that also annoys and I have put in a separate feature request which should allow you to assign custom names to L, R and Stereo because in dual mono use you end up have 2 different devices attached to the same "stereo" input. as regards this FR, Sonar should simply pick up the names of both mono channels defined in the routing grid of the audio interface that is forwarded to the ASIO driver (e.g. "LA610 pre" and "TLA pre") and use each for the respective channel and in case it has to show something for stereo it could simply show "LA610 pre / TLA pre")
    post edited by Rob[at]Sound-Rehab - 2016/09/30 08:17:59

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
      +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
    Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
    VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
    BRainbow
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 399
    Re: Ability to show IN / OUT names without name of audio card 2016/09/30 14:53:22 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    Ah, that makes sense.  These powerful new features can be a little aggravating sometimes. Thanks for the explanation. 

Cakewalk (forever), Two WIN10 64-bit DAWs: home-brew ASRock x299 Taichi / i7 7820x w/ 64GB RAM and ASUS X99A-II / i7-5820K w/ 32GB RAM, ZOOM UAC 8, Mackie ONYX 1640i FW Mixer/Interface, Mackie ONYX 1200F, Avalon U5 PreAmp, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate, EastWest Composer CloudX, Yamaha MOTIF XS8, Ensoniq SD-1 and ESQ-1, Korg M1rEX, Yamaha TX-81Z, Roland D110, Line6 HELIX Rack and Native, POD HD-Pro, POD Farm 2.5, Yamaha NS-10 and Presonus Eris E8 monitors, Yamaha Disklavier Upright Piano, mics, guitars, basses, and the cutest little tambourine.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1