Above 0DB What does it really mean?

Author
DonM
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4129
2005/08/12 17:55:43 (permalink)

Above 0DB What does it really mean?

All:
So that I get this right.... When Sonar is reporting more than 0 DB (which is DBFS full scale right?) what is it exactly reporting?

I thought I understood this and then went blank on it in a test.

My understanding is that there is nothing above 0 db it is full scale - right? So is Sonar saying..... If there was a range above zero here's where your signal would be, but don't think it's really there....

Any insight appreciated.

-D

16 Replies Related Threads

j boy
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2729
    RE: Above 0DB What does it really mean? 2005/08/12 18:04:42 (permalink)
    the 0.0 dB value on the Sonar meters can't really be 0.0 dBFS, as you say, since 0.0 dBFS is the maximum digital signal strength possible. It's certainly possible to venture into positive (red) values in the Sonar mixer, and the world doesn't come to an end, as it were. The question is... what exactly is the headroom between "Sonar 0.0" and 0.0 dBFS? I think it must be in the manual, but I don't have it handy at the moment...
    NYSR
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1550
    RE: Above 0DB What does it really mean? 2005/08/12 18:10:11 (permalink)
    0 DB represents where 0 DB would be IF all internal processes were no deeper than the bit depth of the final project. Fortunately, internally things are run in floating point 32 bit so headroom in the middle can simply be shifted in.

Cakewalk customer since Apprentice version 1, PreSonus 16.4.2 ai, 3.5 gHz i7

DonM
    RE: Above 0DB What does it really mean? 2005/08/13 06:44:25 (permalink)
    NYSR:

Ok, I'll bite on this one..... 8bit / 16 bit / 24 bit / 32 bit / 64 bit all have a full scale right? Isn't 0db the full scale regardless of wordlength/bit depth? It seems your saying that 0db in Sonar is maintained in a 32 bit space but measurements are reported in 24 bit? I can wrap my brain around that thought - though not sure the advantage would be.

So then what is full scale in Sonar +6db red hot?

I think I'm more confused - I appreciate your assistance.

-D

fac
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2427
    RE: Above 0DB What does it really mean? 2005/08/13 09:22:05 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: DonM

NYSR:

Ok, I'll bite on this one..... 8bit / 16 bit / 24 bit / 32 bit / 64 bit all have a full scale right? Isn't 0db the full scale regardless of wordlength/bit depth? It seems your saying that 0db in Sonar is maintained in a 32 bit space but measurements are reported in 24 bit? I can wrap my brain around that thought - though not sure the advantage would be.

So then what is full scale in Sonar +6db red hot?

I think I'm more confused - I appreciate your assistance.

-D

I'll try to explain this, although this might not be exactly how the Sonar engine works.

Audio is usually recorded and stored as integer numbers (16 bit, 24 bit, whatever). For simplicity's sake let's assume we're only dealing with 16-bit integers. These numbers have a range from -32768 to 32767.

However, Sonar internally works in 32-bit floating point format. When Sonar loads an audio file or captures a recording, it has to convert from 16-bit integers to 32-bit floats. Sonar does this by "normalizing" the data, which in this case means dividing by 32768. Once as floats, the maximum absolute level will be 1.0. This corresponds to 0db.

However, floating point can handle values above 1.0 (or below -1.0), effectively allowing for a much greater headroom during the mix stage (levels above 0db). But of course, when outputting audio through the soundcard, float values have to be converted back to integers, which is done by multiplying by 32768 and rounding. Floats with an absolute value greater than 1.0 will be clipped, causing digital distortion; that's easily avoided by turning down the mix level ;-)

http://facproductions.net

Lots of gear. Not enough time.
    BlindDog
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 985
    RE: Above 0DB What does it really mean? 2005/08/13 11:25:57 (permalink)
    Jonas? Oh Jonas? Where is that boy when we need 'im?

-Kevin
    Accidents "happen". Success, however, is planned and executed.
    NYSR
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1550
    RE: Above 0DB What does it really mean? 2005/08/13 13:24:54 (permalink)
    Yeah FAC, yo da man!

The benefit of doing it this way is that your mix can temporarily go over the edge without introducing ACTUAL distortion. A send that is so hot it tips above 0 db can still drive a floating point process with as much as it can give it. So long as the tail end of the floating point process pulls the value back down, you are doing fine and will not create distortion.

Some audio engineers prefer to keep all chains, busses and sends as hot as possible, lowering levels only at the last possible moment. A floating point engine saves you the trouble of finding that last little over the edge link in a chain. One can keep it reasonably close to maxing out near 0 db and still do well as long as the final result is within proper bounds.

Cakewalk customer since Apprentice version 1, PreSonus 16.4.2 ai, 3.5 gHz i7

SonarForum
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 137
    RE: Above 0DB What does it really mean? 2005/08/13 13:34:25 (permalink)
    fac nailed it!

Thanks!

a.
    pharohoknaughty
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1226
    RE: Above 0DB What does it really mean? 2005/08/13 13:58:35 (permalink)
    The benefit of doing it this way is that your mix can temporarily go over the edge

So it can go to 11?
    Antifreeze
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 187
    RE: Above 0DB What does it really mean? 2005/08/13 17:00:17 (permalink)

I like this thread! I'd never thought about the meter's scale before. Let me see if I have some of it right...

Any A-D/D-A converter has a maximum input voltage it can process. Staying with 16bit, the converter assigns a value of 32767 (or -32767) to this maximum voltage. This voltage is the converter's 0dBFS reference. Different makes of converters process different ranges of voltages, so 0dBFS is just a statement about the maximum voltage a particular converter can process.

If an A-D converter is provided with a higher input voltage than the maximum, it can still only assign a value of 32767, which alters (clips) the signal until it drops down to a workable voltage again.

During tracking Sonar recognises the 32767 value as maximum for 16bit and places it at 0dB on its meter scale. In the case of a clipped signal (still a 32767 value), Sonar can't possibly know by how much it clipped, which is why the input meter does not read above zero.

During mixing however, Sonar can manipulate the numeric values without the constraint that the converters have (they have to work with real voltages, but Sonar is just juggling numbers), so the Sonar meters are constructed to read up to +6.

But +6 what? Here is a supposition:

The scale is logarithmic and zero represents the maximum voltage that any converter can process (ie. For a zero reading Sonar will provide the converter with the number 32767, and the converter will change that into the maximum voltage that it can produce). So doesn't that mean the meter is measuring decibel-volts (dBu), but rather referencing 0dBu to the usual 0.775V(rms) like the VU meters do, the 0dBu in Sonar is actually a reference to the convertor's dBFS voltage (whatever that may be... it will be different for each converter)?

If that is the case, above 0dB is like saying 'this signal is +X dBu above the maximum voltage any D-A converter can process'.

What d'ya think?
    post edited by Antifreeze - 2005/08/13 17:14:57
    fac
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2427
    RE: Above 0DB What does it really mean? 2005/08/13 17:24:47 (permalink)
    The scale is logarithmic and zero represents the maximum voltage that any converter can process (ie. For a zero reading Sonar will provide the converter with the number 32767, and the converter will change that into the maximum voltage that it can produce). So doesn't that mean the meter is measuring decibel-volts (dBu), but rather referencing 0dBu to the usual 0.775V(rms) like the VU meters do, the 0dBu in Sonar is actually a reference to the convertor's dBFS voltage (whatever that may be... it will be different for each converter)?

If that is the case, above 0dB is like saying 'this signal is +X dBu above the maximum voltage any D-A converter can process'.

Ummm... not exactly. Theoretically, yes, a level of +X db measured at an output bus in Sonar would mean that the signal is X db above what the DAC can handle, but in practice, the DAC only has 16 or 24 bit inputs, so it's impossible to feed the DAC with a digital signal above 0db. My guess is that Sonar will clip those samples to 0db *before* sending them to the DAC. Otherwise, insead of clipping we would obtain wrapping which is worse.

http://facproductions.net

Lots of gear. Not enough time.
    Antifreeze
    • Total Posts : 187
    RE: Above 0DB What does it really mean? 2005/08/13 18:07:21 (permalink)

> My guess is that Sonar will clip those samples to 0db *before* sending them to the DAC.

Of course that's true. I took it for granted that the maximum value Sonar will pass to a 16bit converter would be 32767, just as the maximum value Sonar receives from a 16bit converter is 32767.

But the original question is what does a +dB reading relate to?
    It isn't dBu in the normal sense of VU meters, nor dB-SPL, nor dBV, or any other dB measurement I've come across. So I always assumed it was a completely arbitrary measurement, and they'd just labelled it dB because it was logarithmic. But if the zero reading is based on a maximum voltage of the DAC, then surely that means that the meters are measuring dBu, but using a different zero reference voltage than the standard. Infact everyone's meters will measure voltage uniquely, because the reference depends on the DACs they are using!

So if you knew the 0dBFS reference voltage of your DAC, would you be able to work out what +3dB in the Sonar meters actually was in terms of voltage? And instead of just saying 'the signal is 3dB too loud' and not really knowing what that meant, could you more accurately say 'the signal is 3 decibel-volts more than the DAC I am using can process'? I know it doesn't matter that much in practical sense, but I would like to know what it is I'm looking at in the meters! Thanks for helping me understand it.
    post edited by Antifreeze - 2005/08/14 13:24:26
    DonM
    RE: Above 0DB What does it really mean? 2005/08/14 09:12:28 (permalink)
    All:

Now everybody knows that I too love math threads so here goes another take on this...

1k sine wave @ -6db 24bit / 44.1k (5 seconds long) open Sound Forge 8.0b and mix paste at unity that file on top of itself once and -6 plus -6 goes to 0db redline in Sound Forge do another paste and Sound Forge's peak meters sit at 0db full scale / Now don't tell me Sound Forge doesn't operate in 32bit float. My current meter setting in Sound Forge are -18 (EBU Broadcast 0 VU (+4dBu).

Now....

1k sine wave @ -6db 24bit / 44.1k (5 seconds long) open Sonar 4.0.3 / copy that wave to four tracks lined up at 00:00:00:00 Send all tracks to a bus called master. Solo track one -6 on track meter and -6 on Master bus / Solo track on AND track two Master bus hits 0 db / Solo Track one, Track two and Track three, Master bus hits +3.5 and so on and so on

Now..
    Here's the point - as in most things everybody has a point or an opinion right - but this is math / I try not to have an opinion about how much 2 plus 2 is!!!!

I can live with this I think but I'd like to hear more smart people bounce this around.

micv
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 285
    RE: Above 0DB What does it really mean? 2005/10/06 15:35:50 (permalink)
    Hmm. I'm still not clear. I thought that in the mix meter, +6db is 0dbfs and 0db means 6dbu below 0dbfs. Now I'm totally confuse, how can you have +db if 0 is 0dbfs.
    yep
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4057
    RE: Above 0DB What does it really mean? 2005/10/06 15:44:45 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: micv

Hmm. I'm still not clear. I thought that in the mix meter, +6db is 0dbfs and 0db means 6dbu below 0dbfs. Now I'm totally confuse, how can you have +db if 0 is 0dbfs.

No. 0 in sonar's meter=0dbfs.

WITHIN Sonar's virtual world, you can safely run tracks quite far "in the red" and it is almost impossible to cause clipping WITHIN Sonar (32bit floating point audio has something like 300dB of dynamic range). But the minute you try and send your audio projects out into the real world, they have to be below 0dbfs or they will clip when they get converted to analog.

So your individual tracks and busses can go over, but your main out must not, unless you want clipping.

Cheers.
    wandersen
    • Total Posts : 194
    RE: Above 0DB What does it really mean? 2005/10/06 16:03:46 (permalink)
    Thanks for that Yep. I, for one, was getting huge headache trying to understand the practical "bottom line" lesson-to-be-learned from this discussion.

ORIGINAL: yep

ORIGINAL: micv

No. 0 in sonar's meter=0dbfs.

WITHIN Sonar's virtual world, you can safely run tracks quite far "in the red" and it is almost impossible to cause clipping WITHIN Sonar (32bit floating point audio has something like 300dB of dynamic range). But the minute you try and send your audio projects out into the real world, they have to be below 0dbfs or they will clip when they get converted to analog.

So your individual tracks and busses can go over, but your main out must not, unless you want clipping.

Cheers.

Bill Andersen (wandersen)
    http://www.LizCoxMusic.com

WinXP Pro SP2 | E6400 Core 2 Duo: 2.4ghz (oc'd to 2.82ghz) | ASROCK 775Dual-VSTA | 2GB | MOTU 2408 Mk3| 4 - UAD-1 cards in a Avid-Magma 7 slot chassis | UAD v4.7.1 | TranzPort | | SONAR 5.2
    micv
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 285
    RE: Above 0DB What does it really mean? 2005/10/06 16:37:00 (permalink)
    Thank yep,
    The +6db in the master out meter threw me off. I guess that its purpose is for you to see how much over 0dbfs so you know how much reduction you need to apply.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1