Accidentally erasing file name using Browser

Author
rbowser
Max Output Level: -10 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6518
2014/04/13 12:04:18 (permalink)

Accidentally erasing file name using Browser

Surely I'm not the only one who's done this.  Using the Browser, I thought I was grabbing an audio clip to drag into a project.  I was going for a .wav file from a different Sonar project - But what I did by accident was highlight the name, and when I clicked again, naturally the name disappeared, and I was left with a file just called ".wav"- The clip played fine in the project, but obviously I had to fix what happened, since the audio clip was originally associated with a different project.

Not being positive what the original name was, I opened that project, and when the missing audio dialogue came up, I copied the name of the "missing" file - then went to that project's audio folder and pasted in the proper name for that file again.

Yikes!- I was just moving too fast when I grabbed and accidentally erased the file name, but maybe this mistake is too easily made?  Why even have the ability to re-name things in the browser? - But that's probably just standard Windows behavior that could be impossible to over-ride.

I think the only advice on this is - be careful grabbing your clips!

Randy

Sonar X3e Studio
Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
Alesis i|O2 interface
Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
with dual monitors

9 Replies Related Threads

forkol
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 182
    Re: Accidentally erasing file name using Browser 2014/04/14 20:51:21 (permalink)
    Hee Hee, I recently complained about this as well in a post.  I do this all the time on the Sonar Installed Content -- which when it happens, it's really bad, because I usually have no idea what the original file name was!  The only way to fix it is to do an install of the content again.  Rather than do that, I end up either making up a name or even just leaving it.  I have considered going in and making that directory read-only to try to stop this behavior.

Also, it does not appear to be normal Windows browser behavior, because when I double click on the name in the regular Windows file browser, it does not do a rename.  You have to actually pull up the menu to do the rename.  And let's say you do that, and still accidentally rename the file?  You can pull up the menu and un-do the file re-name!  I wish that if Sonar is going to use the browser, then it should pretty much use the same convention as the Windows file browser.  Or at least, having an option to only be able to do re-name via right-click menu.

js516
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 347
    Re: Accidentally erasing file name using Browser 2014/04/14 21:59:17 (permalink)
    You can rename files in an explorer window by left click selecting the file to highlight it, pause for a second, then Left clicking on the file a second time to put it into rename mode. The Sonar browser behaves the same way. If you pause long enough between the clicks of a double click, both windows and sonar think you want to rename the file.

In the explorer window you can hit escape to cancel the rename, or ctrl-z to undo the rename. I don't know if that holds true in the Sonar browser.

You can adjust the time between clicks for a double click in the windows mouse options.
    post edited by js516 - 2014/04/14 22:05:34

Joe Sera

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3, AMD FX-8320, Corsair 32GB 1600 Ram, MOTU AVB on USB3, AMD Radeon R7-200
    gswitz
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5694
    Re: Accidentally erasing file name using Browser 2014/04/14 22:28:35 (permalink)
    Haha. Same here. Been there done that.

I wonder if we could get free Gobbler Storage so we could back it all up. :-)

Come to think of it, using Windows to make all the files read-only would probably do the trick. That simple step could be part of the default install as well. Users who want to rename the Sonar Content could always go into windows and uncheck the read only indicator.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
    I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
    Anderton
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: Accidentally erasing file name using Browser 2014/04/14 22:55:50 (permalink)
    gswitz

Come to think of it, using Windows to make all the files read-only would probably do the trick. That simple step could be part of the default install as well. Users who want to rename the Sonar Content could always go into windows and uncheck the read only indicator.

That's a really good idea.

FYI - ctrl-z doesn't seem to work in this situation...

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Accidentally erasing file name using Browser 2014/04/14 23:12:35 (permalink)
    I have not tried the permissions thing myself but was thinking about replying to the post with the suggestion. Off hand some of the issues may be:
    how SONAR fails after the rename fails
    does running as administrator make a difference
    how are new files handled
    what about directories and files outside of "Cakewalk Content"

So I figured not to make the suggestion without more exploration. For now, I would suggest exercising caution and make backups.
    gswitz
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5694
    Re: Accidentally erasing file name using Browser 2014/04/14 23:18:23 (permalink)
    Scook, I was about to go do some tests to answer a bunch of your queries, but ... I'm on Linux. ;-)

I don't think running as Admin would change the rename failure of a read only file.

Directories outside of cakewalk content wouldn't be protected unless the user set the content to read only. Cake would pretty easily put a switch in the browser to make it easy to flip read-only on and off easily.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
    I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
    forkol
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 182
    Re: Accidentally erasing file name using Browser 2014/04/15 05:26:23 (permalink)
    scook
    I have not tried the permissions thing myself but was thinking about replying to the post with the suggestion. Off hand some of the issues may be:
    how SONAR fails after the rename fails
    does running as administrator make a difference
    how are new files handled
    what about directories and files outside of "Cakewalk Content"

Well, there's a very simple test that can be done.  If you are like me, you have a few Sample CD's laying around.  If you browse one of these, there's no way to be able to rename the file.  I've used the Sonar browser to look around these discs, and I don't have the rename issue with those, and least I haven't run into it.  I'll check it out later to actually see what it does.

anderton
    That's a really good idea.

FYI - ctrl-z doesn't seem to work in this situation...

Yah, I had already mentioned to make the content directory a read-only directory.  But, the biggest issue for me is that the feel of the Sonar browser is not the same as Windows, and does not even work the same way. I never have an issue with accidentally renaming files in the Windows Explorer, only in Sonar's browser.  Also, I was aware of that you can change the mouse click timing, but that would then change it for the rest of windows, which I don't have any issues with.
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    Re: Accidentally erasing file name using Browser 2014/04/15 06:20:45 (permalink)
    Perhaps rename should be a right click menu item only.

Best
    John
    FCCfirstclass
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 969
    Re: Accidentally erasing file name using Browser 2014/04/15 06:38:08 (permalink)
    John
    Perhaps rename should be a right click menu item only.

I totally agree with John.  Rename is, or should be, a right click only

Win 10 Pro x64, 32Gb DDR3 ram, Sonar Platinum, Cubase 9.5, Mackie MCU Pro, Cakewalk VS 100, Roland Octa-Capture,  A 800 Pro, Carver M-1.5t amp & C4000 pre amp, various mics, drums and brass instruments.

And away we go!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1