Acoustic Guitar with Octa Capture and X1 Producer: Low input

Author
recordingartist
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11
2012/08/09 01:10:25 (permalink)

Acoustic Guitar with Octa Capture and X1 Producer: Low input

Hello, 
I just upgraded to Sonar X1 and have paired it with the Octa Capture.  So far when I record vocals and my roland keyboard the sound is coming out great and I'm very pleased with my new set up.  However, I am not able to get a good acoustic guitar sound.  As a keyboardist, I know almost nothing about the best ways to record guitar.  My guitarist has an acoustic guitar with a acoustic pickup (a d'addario that is placed in the opening by the strings).   When playing through an amp live, it sounds great.  However, through the recording set up the input is very low and it requires me to turn up the level on the Octa Capture to the max.  So then I get a lot of white noise.  Even maxed out, the levels in X1 are pretty low.  

I am guessing the pickup is either cheap or not an ideal way to record acoustic.  When trying to mic guitars in the past, I haven't had much luck either as the placement seems difficult and the sound is flat.  Any suggestions on how to get a rich acoustic guitar sound without hiss/white noise?

Thanks!

2 Replies Related Threads

SteveStrummerUK
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31112
    Re:Acoustic Guitar with Octa Capture and X1 Producer: Low input 2012/08/09 14:44:14 (permalink)

Hi there Sonya

You've landed in the 'Guitar Tracks' forum, which is devoted to Cakewalk's 'Guitar Tracks' software. Even though you might get some good advice here, you'd probably be better off asking your question in the SONAR X1 forum (as that is the Cakewalk software you're using) or probably better still, in the Techniques forum on this site - click HERE to go straight there.

The guys and gals who frequent the Techniques forum really do know their stuff, and they should be able to give you all the advice you need.

Best of luck in getting it all sorted out.

Steve

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

recordingartist
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11
    Re:Acoustic Guitar with Octa Capture and X1 Producer: Low input 2012/08/09 19:37:33 (permalink)
    Thanks!  I will give it a try!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1