acoustigod
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 104
2011/02/04 01:29:12 (permalink)

Acoustic Tune - "Back Together"

Song mixed/mastered by me.

http://soundcloud.com/fec..cterguide/back-together

Comments appreciated.

Need a song, demo or album mixed to sound great? Why waste weeks or months learning how to mix when I'm sure you'd rather spend your time writing songs and performing gigs? I can mix your tracks so that they sound fantastic. My rates are very affordable. Send me a PM to find out more.

17 Replies Related Threads

mgh
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:Acoustic Tune - "Back Together" 2011/02/04 05:59:10 (permalink)
    love the sound of the acoustics. nicely played and the balance between the two is perfect. vocals are cool. drums could be a bit more upfront, or the quieter elements need to be brought forward. the bass is a little indistinct, in part because of the long held notes i guess. you do a great job in adding dynamics given the basic elements stay the same the whole song.
    this is a really good tune, funny i just listened to Snydertrigger's song, and this is excatly what his should be like...thanks for the post!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    acoustigod
    Re:Acoustic Tune - "Back Together" 2011/02/04 06:14:08 (permalink)
    Thanks for the feedback and kind words ;)

I'll try and get the drums to be more up front. The kit was not recorded very well - there is tons of bleeding where the toms, snare and both overhead mics all sound the same (for the most part). Yes, gating and eq helps to create some definition, but sadly, everything is at the same volume. This really limited me to what I could do with the drums - because the hi hats and cymbols are all very high volume on all of these tracks... which causes a massive build up. I had to replace the snare that sounded very similar to the one that was actually used as it is. I'll try and boost the rim shots and put some envelopes on the kick to see if that helps.

EDIT: Drums corrected a bit.

The bass guitar is just a mess on this song. I don't know what to do. It has no attack in the actual playing - it actually sounds like it's not real and is just deep beeps for the most part... and yeah, there are a lot of long notes. I spent awhile trying every trick in the book to fix the attack on it and I just gave up. The solution is to retrack it, which is not possible :(
    post edited by acoustigod - 2011/02/04 06:47:21

Need a song, demo or album mixed to sound great? Why waste weeks or months learning how to mix when I'm sure you'd rather spend your time writing songs and performing gigs? I can mix your tracks so that they sound fantastic. My rates are very affordable. Send me a PM to find out more.
    mgh
    Re:Acoustic Tune - "Back Together" 2011/02/04 06:20:59 (permalink)
    maybe try mixing in a synth bass, it's something i hear being done in almost every 'mix rescue' series in SoundonSound, though i've never done it, i think the idea is you use some sine-wave bass an octave below and mixed in to be almost inaudible but give the bass more presence...worth a try i'd say, you can find the proper technique at the SoundonSound website with a quick search, i'm sure...

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    acoustigod
    Re:Acoustic Tune - "Back Together" 2011/02/04 07:55:50 (permalink)
    I could use Trilogy or something, but that'll take a lot of effort to match the notes, etc.

I made a few changes to the bass. I don't think it did much. It's a little more defined I guess.

I boosted the kick by 1db too, which helped the song a bit.

mgh
    Re:Acoustic Tune - "Back Together" 2011/02/04 08:10:28 (permalink)
    i think the new kick works.
    maybe try parallel compression on the bass then? or even pitchshift it an octave and mix it in?

ps and you could use v-vocal pitch to midi on the bass to (ahem) save time?

c'mon kid i got faith in ya!
    post edited by mgh - 2011/02/04 08:12:46

thepogue
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2458
    Re:Acoustic Tune - "Back Together" 2011/02/04 11:49:17 (permalink)
    lil pitchy here and there (e.g. "Make me whole") also I'm not a big fan of the double vox which runs 90% of the time thru the tune....I'd like to hear it come in when as more impact is needed...as is it takes away from the tune (at times)....

I like the delivery of the vox...I also like the doubling of the guitars in the break but again I'd mix and match them (doubling them as needed and not throughout the whole section)

this tune has a great foundation and something else I really appreciate is that it sounds sincere w/o sounding whiny which plagues many too many worship tunes.

good job!
    acoustigod
    Re:Acoustic Tune - "Back Together" 2011/02/04 13:00:48 (permalink)
    It's kind of humorous that you thought the vocalist was sincere. I actually concluded the opposite. (I'm not big on the whole worship thing personally... I just mixed it). I'm glad it came across that way, because the original vocals were patched together in multiple places and I had to do different things to make it all seem seamless.

I actually like the dynamics between the two guitars playing at the same time. To cut one of them out would leave a hole in and make the mix mono sounding, which I think is bad. It needs to be full and big as it can. If there were strings and violins, I would agree... but they absent.

What do you mean by pitchy? I didn't use a pitch tuner. This is how the vocal tracks came to me.
    post edited by acoustigod - 2011/02/04 13:03:18

rockinrobby
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:Acoustic Tune - "Back Together" 2011/02/04 13:44:52 (permalink)
    Yeah the acoustic guitar does sound very nice, can you share information on the signal path?

type of guitar, mics and placement, pre-amps, and any processing?

http://www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby

Evil lurks here among us again... "Beware."
    acoustigod
    Re:Acoustic Tune - "Back Together" 2011/02/04 13:53:52 (permalink)
    I have no idea about the recording as I just mixed.

As for processing, there is some. I do light processing on acoustics because generally it's garbage in = garbage out anyway.

Basically it goes like this:
    1. Standard Gate to get rid of crap
    2. With SSL, HP Filter at 85hz
    3. With Q10, cut -4db at 210hz with Q of 15
    4. With PuigTec EPQ1A, Attenuate at 5 at 100hz
    5. Use PuigChild compressor with light threshold (a little above 1) and with a time constant of 2
    6. Use L1 and bring down Threshold to -3. Keep ceiling at 0.

thepogue
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2458
    Re:Acoustic Tune - "Back Together" 2011/02/04 14:03:00 (permalink)
    acoustigod

It's kind of humorous that you thought the vocalist was sincere. I actually concluded the opposite. (I'm not big on the whole worship thing personally... I just mixed it). I'm glad it came across that way, because the original vocals were patched together in multiple places and I had to do different things to make it all seem seamless.

I actually like the dynamics between the two guitars playing at the same time. To cut one of them out would leave a hole in and make the mix mono sounding, which I think is bad. It needs to be full and big as it can. If there were strings and violins, I would agree... but they absent.

What do you mean by pitchy? I didn't use a pitch tuner. This is how the vocal tracks came to me.

You did a good job in patching the vox together as I couldn't detect that it was peice-mealed together...so mission accoplished there. As far as the gutiars if it has the sound you were shooting for then your good to go. Pitchy as in out of tune a bit....again nothing too bad but just passing on what I'm hearing...

acoustigod
    Re:Acoustic Tune - "Back Together" 2011/02/04 15:01:12 (permalink)
    Oh, that kind of pitchy. Yeah I can see what you mean. I guess I could go in and tune it. I usually don't pitch correct much because it usually sounds a bit fake but I can take a look at it and see if it improves things.

patm300e
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 845
    Re:Acoustic Tune - "Back Together" 2011/02/04 15:14:28 (permalink)
    The acoustics sound good to me.  Vocals are nicely produced/blended
    The drums seem to be lacking in the bottom end.
    The bass sounds like it was in another room. 

You can only mix/master what they give you though...

SPLAT on a Home built i3 16 GB RAM 64-bit Windows 10 Home Premium 120GB SSD (OS) 2TB Data Drive.  Behringer XR-18 USB 2.0 Interface. FaderPort control.
    Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:Acoustic Tune - "Back Together" 2011/02/06 14:59:41 (permalink)
    I like it!  Great tune and the singers sound great. :-)  I like the mix--those guitars sound great! 
    drma173
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 752
    Re:Acoustic Tune - "Back Together" 2011/02/06 16:02:40 (permalink)
    WOW it brilliant perfects everything and again i would love too had one of your mixing techniques at my songs. Im a fan
    notnat
    Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5236
    Re:Acoustic Tune - "Back Together" 2011/02/08 11:26:47 (permalink)
    mr. acoustigod
    I don't hear anything wrong with this mix...
    and it didn't hurt my ears...
    I like the music too...
    well done sir... 
    acoustigod
    Re:Acoustic Tune - "Back Together" 2011/02/08 11:55:37 (permalink)
    Thanks. I tried uploading it again a few hours ago because I noticed soundcloud was distorting the sound of the acoustics too much - that's not in the actual mix. But then I realized that all of my soundcloud files sound worse. I think they applied a different compression algorithm on them. I am not a fan of compression of music. If anyone knows of a site that doesn't mess with the files, I'd love to hear about it.

geeare1
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1906
    Re:Acoustic Tune - "Back Together" 2011/02/10 11:23:25 (permalink)
    Hi,

Love the acoustic guitars.

Nice mix/production.

Great job!

-gr

'There's two kinds of music: good and bad. I like both.' - Duke Ellington

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=943338&content=music
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1