Acoustic guitar impulse responses

Author
Chandler
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 477
2015/04/14 11:37:05 (permalink)

Acoustic guitar impulse responses

Now with new content released every month I thought I'd suggest something that might be useful. Please make acoustic guitar IRs. Now that cakewalk is partnered with Gibson I imagine you have access to quite a few fine guitars. 2 months ago you added some fine studio reverb IRs that I really enjoyed, so I know you can make high quality IRs. One of the main reasons I'm asking is that there are so few acoustic IRs available on the internet and this could be useful to other cakewalk users/guitarists. Here is a video showing how they can be of use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaWM8Ou8zw8

My soundcloud page Chandlerhimself
My Youtube page

2 Replies Related Threads

lfm
    Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2216
    Re: Acoustic guitar impulse responses 2015/04/15 04:22:42 (permalink)
    -1 (1)
    Comment on DPA on a Taylor - DPA 4099G is the best acoustic guitar mike I found.
    There are plenty youtube videos for that.

The 4099 are there with different holders for violin etc, for other acoustic instruments.
    The "G" is typical guitar use that fits easy on body.

An IR has only the ability to transform input through math and make an output.
    So what output would sound like depends on input to such a degree, I wonder if of any use at all, sorry.

Fishman Aura and similar techniques try to do this, to make guitar sound even better than it is.
    But then you have acoustic guitar signal input to start with.

There are piezo bridges as replacements directly for ABS and Nashville type of Gibson bridges.
    But installed and ready it costs($50 plus labour to modify your guitar body) as a better sounding acoustic guitar - so unless live situation and needing to switch in an instant, not so useful. I know Musicman guitars have models with piezos as standard, like Petrucci use etc.

About your idea - I don't know if you can first make a recording for an acoustic and then from an electric - and make an IR that would transform these two. So in that way can make it useful.

I know AXE FX II processor do this kind of thing. You can take a guitar sound from a recording and make your own guitar sound like it. Works best for solo tones only, really. There are yourtube videos on that too.

TBH, you video - I hear nothing like an acoustic guitar in there.

bluzdog
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1928
    Re: Acoustic guitar impulse responses 2015/04/15 08:30:42 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    The video is well done and in Sonar to boot. Nice technique in a pinch. It's making me g.a.s. for Vahalla vintage reverb though. Thanks for the post.

Rocky
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1