Acoustic/Electric MIDI guitar??

Author
The_Kiss
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 102
2008/09/10 23:29:49 (permalink)

Acoustic/Electric MIDI guitar??

I’ve been thinking about this for quite some time and was wondering what your guys’ experience has been with MIDI guitars?

1) And while we’re at it, which one offers the most bang for the buck?

2) I’d like to get a MIDI guitar that not only let’s me use it as any electric guitar I want but as any acoustic guitar as well. Is this possible?

3) And yes of course I know I won’t be able to use it as “any” guitar per say but I’m mainly interested in a MIDI guitar instrument that is very nice quality and a VST that allows me to tweak, adjust, and fine tune any elements of the guitar I like. Is this possible as well? The only one I've heard of so far is Guitar Rig 3...

Thanks!
post edited by The_Kiss - 2008/09/10 23:34:16

28 Replies Related Threads

Griff The Riff
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 15
    RE: Acoustic/Electric MIDI guitar?? 2008/09/14 07:19:10 (permalink)
    My favourite topic! I've been playing MIDI guitars for about 20 years and have 6 that are either built as or adapted to MIDI.

First, what do you really want it for?

If you want a MIDI to drive a synth then an old Casio PG or MG series will keep you amused for hours. They have the advantage of a standard MIDI out and can be plugged into anything with a MIDI in. I love these and have two. They are great "guitars" and the MIDI bit makes them a really useful tool.

Coming up to the 21st century, Guitar to MIDI means something like a Roland GK hex pickup into a Roland / Axon unit. Here again you have options, and this is a real mine field. There are units that convert your guitar signal into a MIDI signal so you can plug into your favourite synth, and there are others units that are the synth with foot controls for guitarists to control the sounds.

MIDI has a two problems, latency and false triggers. Both are cause by the fact that the guitar doesn't produce a MIDI signal, and whatever you use, has to translate the magnetic pickup into something your synth can understand. Latency is the time it takes to translate, false triggers are because guitarists are messy creatures with sloppy techniques and the synth can’t distinguish between what you want to sound and what you don’t want to sound.

You talked about Acoustic sounds and this brings another level of complexity which hopefully I'll be able to cover for you. There are guitars with piezo's that have MIDI out and acoustic sounds but these can cost a packet. To me they are a non-starter because they give a reasonable acoustic "sound" but don't sound like an acoustic guitar.

Advice time.

Get a Roland GK pickup.
    Decide if you want to do.

If you want to drive your synth get a guitar to midi converter, if you don’t have a synth / would rather use something made for guitars buy guitar synth unit.

If you want to explore the potential of your guitar sounds buy a Roland VG unit. These are primarily guitar modelling units which will cover just about any guitar, amp and stop box you can imagine, as well as a few bass and synth sounds for good measure. The good news is that there is none of the latency and false trigger issues. You’ll get your acoustic sounds and things like alternative tunings on top

If you want a bit of both, get a Variax and fit a GK pick up. The Variax does acoustic better than any Piezo, and has lots of other guitar models build in. Then get your guitar synth. I only know Roland’s and have a GR 30. It does a good job and I’m in no rush to replace it. If I was starting again I’d get a GR 33. For my money this is the best priced set up you’ll get and I used it for years.

Today I play a Strat, a Variax or an Acoustic with a GK pickup into a Roland 4 way splitter. That sends my individual string signals into a VG 99, a VG 8ex and a GR 30. I can then use different string combinations into each of the units to build sounds. I can also send the guitar signal into my guitar rig. Typically I’ll play one or two guitar set ups through the VG 99, add a slow strings sound to the E and A strings via the GR 30 synth, allowing me to build a background sound by plucking and sustaining these whilst strumming the other 4 strings.

What are you planning to do? How much do you want to spend? What I do sound complex but it isn’t, once you get your head around it :)
    Crg
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7719
    RE: Acoustic/Electric MIDI guitar?? 2008/09/14 09:54:13 (permalink)
    Check out the Godin guitars. The ones with Synth access. They're a bit pricey but they do everything you wanted.

Craig DuBuc
    The_Kiss
    RE: Acoustic/Electric MIDI guitar?? 2008/09/14 18:07:35 (permalink)
    Griff, thank you so much for providing such a detailed explanation with what is possible considering the world of MIDI and guitars.

Crg, thanks for introducing me to the Godin line of guitars and I'll be looking into these as well.

------------------------------------------

Griff, the main reason why I would like to buy a MIDI guitar is that I'm just really getting fed up with hardware. I absolutely love MIDI and everything that it is capable of. And since I like to consider myself as primarily being an electronic musician, adding a MIDI guitar to my already growing collection seems the next best move.

Oh and what I meant by my distaste in hardware is that in the old-school way of thinking, you pretty much buy an electric or acoustic guitar and whatever sound that guitar is capable of is all you get. I'm thinking forward with all this and would much rather have a MIDI guitar that allows me to plug into a guitar sampling software and then either make my guitar play like any other guitar I want or even just create a custom guitar sound to fit my needs whenever necessary. Know what I mean?

And since you've been doing this for 20+ years I'm really glad that you took the time to respond to my original post. In regards to price range, that all depends. I'll have to get in contact with all of the companies that interest me and see which one is the most bang for my buck. Godin seems pretty cool but I still have to read up on them before making any haste decisions.

1) By the way, would you mind providing reputable links to all of the equipment and resources you mentioned in your post above? That would be great bro.

I'm thinking that I'll more than likely get what I want if I were to spend between $0-$2,000. But keep in mind I really have no idea of what a quality MIDI guitar usually sells for. We can talk about this as well since I'm very interested in this type of technology. Alrighty then bro, take it easy and I look forward to your reply.

**By the way, is there even such a thing as a guitar that I can just plug into my computer via usb and then use a sampling station like Guitar Rig 3 to trigger the sounds? All in all, I'm just wondering if there's a way to bypass all this interface business and go straight to the heart of it and use my DAW instead?
    post edited by The_Kiss - 2008/09/14 19:00:14
    fastelder
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 290
    RE: Acoustic/Electric MIDI guitar?? 2008/09/15 13:44:07 (permalink)
    The_Kiss:

First realize that a MIDI guitar is not at all a guitar. It is merely an instrument that will take your guitar skills and translate them to MIDI. I've had a Roland set-up for a couple of years now and I love it, but you really have to make peace with it. Because of the triggering and latency issues mentioned already, you need to think of the guitar as just that, a triggering device. The problem is compounded by the fact that with any MIDI pickup, you are translating an analog/audio signal to an electronic digital signal. That has it's own series of problems in and of itself, and that causes the false triggers and such mentioned above. I am very happy with the Roland system, but I do have to play it differently.

Here's how I use it:
    I bought the whole GK system with pickup and GR-20 module. I mounted it on a cheap Epi LP, so's not to mess up my better guitars. It re-routes the guitar through the module and blends the synth sound with the straight guitar sound. You can also split them out at the floor if you want the guitar to go through a more traditional amp. I use a full range keyboard amp to get the best out of it. The sounds are really nice (they are Roland - a division of Cakewalk ) When you play solo instruments such as woodwinds or reeds, you have to "think" as if you are playing those actual instruments, and stay within the range and technique of any given instrument. In other words, lightning fast runs on a Tuba or Bari-sax will be muddy. The same thing on a flute/piccolo setting will be pretty sweet.

On the other hand, some guitar moves will not work on MIDI. Bends and slides don't work at all on some setting (TRY to bend a piano note a quarter-tone!) the ones that they do work on, remember that the sound module is really translating a glide from one absolute tone to another. Still on some things it works well. I use it at church mostly to lay a pad (strings, synth, organ) under what I am playing, since our organist departed a while back.

You mentioned Guitar sounds. I have YET to find any guitar sound that is nearly as good as what you can produce via more traditional routes. I don't even bother. The Nylon or 12string settings just don't sound good IMHO. One other note. Running through the GR-20 produces a very low latency response. Plugging it into your computer seems to generate a higher lag, but you can work that out.

My advice is to try it at a local dealer, regardless of where you get one. You'll see what everyone means. It's a great device, but overall it's not a cure for all types of music. Overall though, I still think the MIDI guitar produces better keyboard/synth sounds than any synth produces guitar sounds.

A lot of words for just two cents.

Ed

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 3G ram
    Dual 19"LCD Presonus FirePod
    Dbx166XL Tascam700
    Tascam US-2400 Yamaha PSR293
    Sonar6 EZDrummer MOTU Symphonic Instruments Smart Score (Scanning)
    Sibelius (Notation)
    CD Architect
    Crg
    RE: Acoustic/Electric MIDI guitar?? 2008/09/15 17:08:03 (permalink)
    All so very true Fastelder. I've been playing with a GI-20-GK-3 Roland setup running into the computer via USB into Sonar 7 PE and using the Z3TA+synth. It took some serious noodling to get it to work what with all the setup parameters between the interface, the computer, Sonar, and the Synth. But you are so right, you can't go beyond the limits of the synths presets or configured sounds capabilities.
    As to changing your playing style, I've found that you have to stop your played notes at a point that the preset or synth configuration you are using will accept-be able to interpret according to Midi, before you can intiate another series of notes. The duration of the synth preset-sound you are using also has dominance over notes triggered after an initial triggering of notes in many cases.
    As to the bend function, I've found that matching the settings on the synth and interface will produce a realistic bend. For instance, in Z3TA+, the global button in the oscillator shows you the bend range in both up and down parameters. It's max and minimum are +12 and -12. By default it is set to +2 and -2. If you set your interface bend range to 12 and the synths bend ranges to +12 and -12 it will work for both glide and bend.
    I noticed a much better stability and response when I dumped the interface data into the Sysx veiw, copied it and paisted it into the Cakewalk ini. file and edited each F0 to F7 message into single lines as the rest of the configuration presets there are structured.
    It still ain't perfect, player-driver error being predominant, but with a little extra string muting and finessing you can get it to perform in ways a keyboard won't.
    post edited by Crg - 2008/09/15 17:18:36

Craig DuBuc
    Griff The Riff
    RE: Acoustic/Electric MIDI guitar?? 2008/09/15 17:29:33 (permalink)
    Ok now we’re getting somewhere. From the description of your use, I’m not sure you are looking at a “MIDI” set up; I think you are looking for a “modelling” set up. What’s the difference?

MIDI takes your guitar signal and tries to turn it into something a synth can understand so your guitar sound becomes something completely different, say a trombone.

Modelling takes the sound of your guitar, runs it through a very clever tone control (massive piece of understatement but I don’t pretend to understand the technology) and makes it sound like a different guitar. On top of changing the guitar sound, modelling systems can also often model amp and effects.

Behringer has the I-axe, a Strat copy with a USB. It’s a very slick and simple, not to mention cheap (£98 UK) solution which plugs directly into your PC and the interfaces with the software. From what I’ve seen, it’s Guitar Rig compatible. It may well be what you are looking for. I don’t believe it’s the greatest guitar ever made but at the price, if it does the job, who cares?

Guitar Rig is the main software solutions. I’ve never used it, so my comments here are based on reading, youtube and other user’s comments. The Guitar rig has an input unit that any guitar can be plugged into without fancy pickups. The software on your computer then does all the really clever stuff and amazing sounds come out. I’m not sure if that includes guitar modelling or if it’s just amp and effect modelling but the sounds are awesome. Many people also use it live and are happy to take a laptop on stage, I’m not keen on putting my laptop in that environment.

From your comments I think that you should investigate this route.

As for hardware modelling solutions, Roland VG 8, VG 88 and VG 99 are king. The VG 8 and 88 are now old technology but still amazing. These systems use a separate pickup for each string. The advantage of this is that each string can be processed differently and this is where the clever stuff comes in. It is possible to “retune” each string virtually. It’s also possible to restructure the sound and model acoustic guitars, electric guitars, bass guitars and just about anything with frets and strings. Then there is the effects amp modelling. Very cool. The downside for recording is you have to get it right on the way in ‘cos you can’t use the hardware to change it later.

I use the Roland’s because they are robust and flexible for live use. I also drive modellers and MIDI synth simultaneously and use different strings as different instruments. It means I can be the guitarist and the keyboard player at the same time. That is probably more than you want or need, although I’m guessing you didn’t know it could be done. I have some examples on www.myspace.com/davidgrifftheriffgriffin of what this layering can sound like. Only one track has overdubs and you will know which by the drums, the rest are one with a Strat with a GK 3 pickup and in one take. Hope it helps

Griff
    Crg
    RE: Acoustic/Electric MIDI guitar?? 2008/09/15 17:40:21 (permalink)
    Ok now weâ?Tre getting somewhere. From the description of your use, Iâ?Tm not sure you are looking at a â?oMIDIâ? set up; I think you are looking for a â?omodellingâ? set up. Whatâ?Ts the difference?

MIDI takes your guitar signal and tries to turn it into something a synth can understand so your guitar sound becomes something completely different, say a trombone.

Modelling takes the sound of your guitar, runs it through a very clever tone control (massive piece of understatement but I donâ?Tt pretend to understand the technology) and makes it sound like a different guitar. On top of changing the guitar sound, modelling systems can also often model amp and effects.

Behringer has the I-axe, a Strat copy with a USB. Itâ?Ts a very slick and simple, not to mention cheap (£98 UK) solution which plugs directly into your PC and the interfaces with the software. From what Iâ?Tve seen, itâ?Ts Guitar Rig compatible. It may well be what you are looking for. I donâ?Tt believe itâ?Ts the greatest guitar ever made but at the price, if it does the job, who cares?

Guitar Rig is the main software solutions. Iâ?Tve never used it, so my comments here are based on reading, youtube and other userâ?Ts comments. The Guitar rig has an input unit that any guitar can be plugged into without fancy pickups. The software on your computer then does all the really clever stuff and amazing sounds come out. Iâ?Tm not sure if that includes guitar modelling or if itâ?Ts just amp and effect modelling but the sounds are awesome. Many people also use it live and are happy to take a laptop on stage, Iâ?Tm not keen on putting my laptop in that environment.

From your comments I think that you should investigate this route.

As for hardware modelling solutions, Roland VG 8, VG 88 and VG 99 are king. The VG 8 and 88 are now old technology but still amazing. These systems use a separate pickup for each string. The advantage of this is that each string can be processed differently and this is where the clever stuff comes in. It is possible to â?oretuneâ? each string virtually. Itâ?Ts also possible to restructure the sound and model acoustic guitars, electric guitars, bass guitars and just about anything with frets and strings. Then there is the effects amp modelling. Very cool. The downside for recording is you have to get it right on the way in â?~cos you canâ?Tt use the hardware to change it later.

I use the Rolandâ?Ts because they are robust and flexible for live use. I also drive modellers and MIDI synth simultaneously and use different strings as different instruments. It means I can be the guitarist and the keyboard player at the same time. That is probably more than you want or need, although Iâ?Tm guessing you didnâ?Tt know it could be done. I have some examples on www.myspace.com/davidgrifftheriffgriffin of what this layering can sound like. Only one track has overdubs and you will know which by the drums, the rest are one with a Strat with a GK 3 pickup and in one take. Hope it helps

Griff

Hi Griff, above is the email I received from your post. Do you notice the different characters that have been inserted? I think your emails are corrupted. Please resend your response.

Craig DuBuc
    The_Kiss
    RE: Acoustic/Electric MIDI guitar?? 2008/09/15 19:32:49 (permalink)
    Thanks again for all the great info you guys, especially Griff. I checked out that i-axe you recommended and it seems pretty cool but after talking to the guy at Behringer he kinda turned me off to it. I guess I’d have to play it for myself instead.

Another good one I found is the iGuitar by Brian Moore. Here are some videos of people using this cool guitar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk3Vv65hLMI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOmNC8NEx6Q

I personally think that the iGuitar looks much better than the i-axe by Behringer and I’m sure it’s probably better constructed as well. I haven’t looked into the pricing of this thing yet but I soon will.

Oh and by the way, I was having a look at the Roland VG-99 and had two questions about it. Here’s a pic:

Do you see the two areas above circled in red? The first one being the D Beam and the second one being the Ribbon Controller. I’m under the impression that the D Beam can be used as a Theremin or something similar, is this accurate? And secondly, would the ribbon just be used if I wanted to capture a smooth fret-less piano or synth type of sound?
    post edited by The_Kiss - 2008/09/15 19:35:53
    CreatingNoise
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1666
    RE: Acoustic/Electric MIDI guitar?? 2008/09/15 21:45:43 (permalink)
    I looked at the Brian Moore guitars while considering a new guitar a couple of years ago. They look nice and have very impressive features. I ended up with a Godin LGX-SA which I really like. I would have seriously considered the Brian Moore guitars if there was a local dealer but I didn't find anyone that stocked them.

I can't really add anything to replies given above. I can only say my Godin is very versatile and that is only as a standard guitar with the GR-20 Roland unit. I am sure sending MIDI input to Sonar and playing with VSTs could open up even more possibilities.

Good luck.
    The_Kiss
    RE: Acoustic/Electric MIDI guitar?? 2008/09/15 21:57:11 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: CreatingNoise

I looked at the Brian Moore guitars while considering a new guitar a couple of years ago. They look nice and have very impressive features. I ended up with a Godin LGX-SA which I really like. I would have seriously considered the Brian Moore guitars if there was a local dealer but I didn't find anyone that stocked them.

I can't really add anything to replies given above. I can only say my Godin is very versatile and that is only as a standard guitar with the GR-20 Roland unit. I am sure sending MIDI input to Sonar and playing with VSTs could open up even more possibilities.

Good luck.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe your guitar actually does have synth capabilities. I spoke with one of my local music stores who is authorized to sell Godin and the guy basically told me that any Godin guitar with the letters "SA" at the end has "synth access". Check it out, I'm sure your guitar is no exception. Oh and thank you for writing about how much you've enjoyed your Godin purchase. I too haven't been able to find a Brian Moore dealer nearby and just might end up getting the Godin...
    CreatingNoise
    RE: Acoustic/Electric MIDI guitar?? 2008/09/16 06:37:14 (permalink)
    Yeah, the LGX-SA is a synth access guitar, sorry for not making that clear. I use it in conjunction with a Roland GR-20 unit. What I haven't done with it is to use the MIDI out from the GR-20 and connect that to my PC's MIDI in (sound card) for laying down MIDI tracks or controlling soft synths. Well, not entirely true. I did lay an experimental MIDI track down over a year ago but never did any more with it. The other posters are right on the money concerning trigger errors and adapting your playing for using different instrument patches. It is a challenge for sure. I have also not explored guitar modeling (not sure if I can do that with what I have). It might require the use of a USB connected guitar like the Brian Moore guitars. Line 6's Variax guitars and modeling are something that has impressed me as very versatile. Hook a Roland GK pickup to one of those and you may have all you are wanting.
    The_Kiss
    RE: Acoustic/Electric MIDI guitar?? 2008/09/16 14:00:40 (permalink)

Yeah, the LGX-SA is a synth access guitar, sorry for not making that clear. I use it in conjunction with a Roland GR-20 unit. What I haven't done with it is to use the MIDI out from the GR-20 and connect that to my PC's MIDI in (sound card) for laying down MIDI tracks or controlling soft synths. Well, not entirely true. I did lay an experimental MIDI track down over a year ago but never did any more with it. The other posters are right on the money concerning trigger errors and adapting your playing for using different instrument patches. It is a challenge for sure. I have also not explored guitar modeling (not sure if I can do that with what I have). It might require the use of a USB connected guitar like the Brian Moore guitars. Line 6's Variax guitars and modeling are something that has impressed me as very versatile. Hook a Roland GK pickup to one of those and you may have all you are wanting.

Dude, you just totally made my day!!! Thank you so much for telling me about the Variax line of guitars from Line 6. Those things are absolutely amazing! They beat everything I've heard so far and I'm going to be in contact with them later today. So many well established artists use these guitars as well. Oh man, once again thank you for telling me about these.

Take care bro.
    CreatingNoise
    RE: Acoustic/Electric MIDI guitar?? 2008/09/16 19:30:11 (permalink)
    Glad you found the Variax site and it helped. If you get one, I'd be interested to hear your take on it once you are up and running.

If you want a bit of both, get a Variax and fit a GK pick up. The Variax does acoustic better than any Piezo, and has lots of other guitar models build in. Then get your guitar synth. I only know Roland’s and have a GR 30. It does a good job and I’m in no rush to replace it. If I was starting again I’d get a GR 33. For my money this is the best priced set up you’ll get and I used it for years.

good idea by Griff from above
    dantarbill
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1820
    RE: Acoustic/Electric MIDI guitar?? 2008/09/17 11:53:23 (permalink)

What I haven't done with it is to use the MIDI out from the GR-20 and connect that to my PC's MIDI in (sound card) for laying down MIDI tracks or controlling soft synths. Well, not entirely true. I did lay an experimental MIDI track down over a year ago but never did any more with it.

Allow me to speak to this and take this thread into a slightly different vector for a moment. Most of the previous discussion appears to have centered around live performance issues. I have an old Yamaha G10 which (fortunately) lacks the latency issues that the current pitch to MIDI solutions have, but it still has a lot of double triggering and "ghost notes" that are ignorable in live performance, but are maddening once stored in a sequencer (now DAW). Has anyone had any good results doing MIDI sequencing via a MIDI guitar?
    post edited by dantarbill - 2008/09/17 11:54:38

Dan Tarbill
    Griff The Riff
    RE: Acoustic/Electric MIDI guitar?? 2008/09/17 17:30:03 (permalink)
    The_kiss,

I've tried to write a reply to the D Beam / Ribbon Controller question three or four times now and gave up each time so here goes again. First things first, IMHO, the VG 99 is the greatest single guitar processor on the planet. It is totally awsome. I'm not kidding when i say that if i gig with it and there is a guitarist in the audience I don't leave the stage during the break. I spend the break explaining how it works and what it does. I'm gigging on Friday night and i know that there will be at least 3 people coming to hear the VG and not my band But i thought you wanted a software solution lol

The D Beam, Ribbon Strip and Expression Pedal can control any 2 functions of virtual instrument, amp or effect, and in opposite directions if needed. That means you can pick a knob on your virtual synth and wiggle it with the D beam, or turn it into a virtual wammy bar. the D beam also has a freeze function, which means you can freeze a chord played on virtual instrument 1 by passing your hand or the head of the guitar through it, then solo over it with virtual instrument 2. The Ribbon Strip can then be set up as your wammy bar to slide notes. On that point, a guitar is a 2 handed instrument so i haven't quite mastered that yet

Does that help answer your question?

The VG 99 also has a guitar to midi converter built in so, although it isn't a guitar synth, you can drive a synth with it, any synth. Want one?

If you can't track one down, and they are hard to find, we could try hooking up over MSN messenger. I'm sure I could demo it over the web with a web cam.

Griff.

Griff The Riff
    RE: Acoustic/Electric MIDI guitar?? 2008/09/17 17:43:32 (permalink)
    Dantarbill,

I've had some good results recording MIDI into Cubase (can I say that here?). It means playing very, very cleanley, not thinking like a guitarist, very clever with your quantise. Best advice, keep it simple and build up the sound with lots of tracks, don't try to do it all in one go.

Griff
    dantarbill
    RE: Acoustic/Electric MIDI guitar?? 2008/09/17 19:04:40 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Griff The Riff

Dantarbill,

I've had some good results recording MIDI into Cubase (can I say that here?). It means playing very, very cleanley, not thinking like a guitarist, very clever with your quantise. Best advice, keep it simple and build up the sound with lots of tracks, don't try to do it all in one go.

Griff

The reason I'd want to use a MIDI guitar for recording, is to capture a spontaneous performance with my playing style, phrasing and nuance intact. That doesn't fit real well with things like "very very cleanly" and "keep it simple". If I've gotta keep it simple, I might as well use them there black 'n white doohickeys. Then I don't have to do boatloads of cleanup afterwards (just truckloads of quantization instead).

Dan Tarbill
    Griff The Riff
    RE: Acoustic/Electric MIDI guitar?? 2008/09/18 04:00:36 (permalink)
    About 10 years ago I taught guitar in a music school. A lot of new guitarists had trouble with their left hand right hand timing, meaning that they would fret the note, then pluck the string causing a double note or hammer on effect. Others would hold dowm a chord but mute strings because their fingers wern't in the correct place. To help them improve their technique i got them to use my Casio MG500 because every false not came out and muted strings set off false triggers. OK it drove a few mad and I'm surprised the guitar wasn't thrown out the window but they could hear what they were doing and because it was so very unforgiving they learned to control it. Their technique became really good and they didn't sound worse as a result, in fact they sounded better, especially at high speed because their technique could be so clean!

One thing that most people who try a MIDI guitar don't get is that a guitar is the only instrument that can be played like a guitar. Any other voice doesn't sound right if played as a guitar. Piano's don't get strummed, the Sax can't play a chord and about they only instrument that can bend a note like a guitar is a trombone. If you want to get a guitar sound, use modelling, otherwise, and it's been said in guitar related posts, think like the instrument you are trying to emulate.

For what its worth, I found that with Piano sounds, grow your nails and try finger picking or hybrid picking and use chord inversions that can be fretted cleanly. The same with orchestral sounds like strings and brass. If you have a sustain pedal that can help. Play the chord, sustain it and then carefully release. The chord will remain giving you time to reach the next chord and fret it accuratly.

For mono instruments fret cleanly and release note one before or as you play note two. Don't leave fingers on strings because thats where the problems start. Decaying notes tend to wonder off and look for new sounds to make.

Before I started my band i'd been using MIDI guitar for sequencing for 10 years. I still had the odd latency problem but I got some good results. The problem was I was thinking like a MIDI guitar player. I could even play ahead of the latency so the notes came out on time!! My actual guitar playing was very unimaginative, stale and dull. It took a few months to loosen up and play guitar like a guitarist again. I haven't used a guitar for sequencing for a long time and now i think i'd probably struggle
    muso_price
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 496
    RE: Acoustic/Electric MIDI guitar?? 2008/09/18 09:13:54 (permalink)
    One thing that most people who try a MIDI guitar don't get is that a guitar is the only instrument that can be played like a guitar. Any other voice doesn't sound right if played as a guitar. Piano's don't get strummed, the Sax can't play a chord and about they only instrument that can bend a note like a guitar is a trombone. If you want to get a guitar sound, use modelling, otherwise, and it's been said in guitar related posts, think like the instrument you are trying to emulate.

Spot on. I've had a couple of mates pick up mine select a sax patch and proceed to strum away and then look at me perplexed when it sounds diabolical.

dantarbill
    RE: Acoustic/Electric MIDI guitar?? 2008/09/18 11:16:34 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Griff The Riff

About 10 years ago...

Thanks! I needed that.

Dan Tarbill
    The_Kiss
    RE: Acoustic/Electric MIDI guitar?? 2008/09/18 14:45:34 (permalink)
    Mr. Griff, thank you so much for answering my question about the D Beam and Ribbon on the VG-99. I'd love to see your setup in action via webcam and I'll be sending you a pm very shortly with my email information.

By the way, I spoke with Pat over at Brian Moore iGuitar yesterday afternoon and found out some really cool stuff about the iGuitar. First things first, they are currently only shipping one model of their iGuitar line. It's called the iGuitar 9.13 and it looks like this:

Pat basically told me that although Variax and Godin are great guitars, they just don't have the potential for experimentation like the iGuitar does. For example, the iGuitar comes with a usb connection, 1/4 connection, and a 13-pin connection for synth work. Neither the Variax or Godin brands come with all three of these features. They're either missing one or two of these components.

Secondly, if I were to purchase an iGuitar for use with a VG-99, I wouldn't have to buy the GK-3 pickup because the iGuitar already has the exact same technology built into its guitar! This is an instant savings of $185 when you think about it. I can also have them do a custom paint job on any of their iGuitars if I don't like the stock color. For example, I could send in a picture with an image of a really cool blue and they would match it exactly. This costs $300 and I don't know how that compares with other custom options from other companies but the price seemed pretty reasonable.

The only downside is that some Asian company stole iGuitar's technology and now Brian Moore iGuitar is in a brand new design mode and they'll be changing their name from Brian Moore iGuitar to iGuitar inc. Now the question remains, does anyone happen to know what Asian company did this? I'm really curious to know.

You also get a factory discount when you purchase directly from the iGuitar headquarters. A guitar that is normally $2,000 gets dropped down to $1,495! But again, this is still too rich for my blood at the moment and I'll be waiting for their new line of guitars to come out before I purchase anything from them.

And feel free to contact them yourselves. I wasn't able to get ahold of anyone from Godin and this really sucks. The iGuitar staff spend a lot of personal attention and time explaining things to me and I really enjoyed my customer service experience with them. Like I said, I talk to a guy named Pat and he was very patient and informative.

I'm currently thinking about purchasing one of these guitars:

1) Paul Reed Smith SE Custom Electric Guitar

Price: $599.00

More info: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Paul-Reed-Smith-SE-Custom-Electric-Guitar-519370-i1150570.gc

2) Dean EVO Noir Electric Guitar

**This same exact guitar was used by Trent Reznor from Nine Inch Nails on the "With Teeth" tour. After every show he would break one of these guitars. Then the entire band would autograph them and in a few days they would put them up for sale on eBay to help aid the Katrina victims.

Price: $299.00

More info: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Dean-EVO-Noir-Guitar-519844-i1150757.gc

3) Ibanez ARX320 Electric Guitar

Price: $399.99

More info: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-ARX320-Electric-Guitar?sku=518062&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=148404565

I'll be using Waves Guitar 3.0 with whichever guitar I purchase and will look into guitar modelling as well. I'm also open to any other electric guitar brands so feel free to share your recommendations. Some of the guitars I listed above don't have a whammy bar or neck inlays. I'm wondering if this will set me back in any way?

Oh and by the way, check out this great video on Waves Guitar 3.0 with Paul Reed Smith himself!

http://www.waves.com/Objects/waves_videos/584/gtr_vdos/gtr3/TheMakingOfGTR3PopUp.html
    post edited by The_Kiss - 2008/09/18 14:50:52
    washburn100
    • Total Posts : 110
    RE: Acoustic/Electric MIDI guitar?? 2008/09/29 16:30:09 (permalink)
    Great Thread,
    I have been looking at both the Godin and Brian Moore specifically because I want the most versatile instrument for recording. I want great electric, love the idea of natural acoustic sounds from the same guitar, the ability to blend both and the 3rd option of Midi control of soft syths by using the guitar.

I was hoping someone could just say one is better than the other, but thats asking a lot. If anyone knows, it seems the USB connection on the Brian Moore is much more geared to mac use and garageband/logic stuff.

I use PC and of course use Sonar 6 right now. Anyone more enlightened on the subject?
    Thanks
    dantarbill
    RE: Acoustic/Electric MIDI guitar?? 2008/09/30 19:15:56 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: washburn100

Great Thread,
    I have been looking at both the Godin and Brian Moore specifically because I want the most versatile instrument for recording. I want great electric, love the idea of natural acoustic sounds from the same guitar, the ability to blend both and the 3rd option of Midi control of soft syths by using the guitar.

I was hoping someone could just say one is better than the other, but thats asking a lot. If anyone knows, it seems the USB connection on the Brian Moore is much more geared to mac use and garageband/logic stuff.

I use PC and of course use Sonar 6 right now. Anyone more enlightened on the subject?
    Thanks

I'm not sure there's an "either/or" argument going between your two choices. I'd buy them both (given sufficient funds and bugetary authorization). In the Godin case, I'd go for one of their solid body "classical" models (in order to get some of the Gibson "Chet Atkins" vibe). The Brian Moore looks like you could concievably leave all your other electrics home. Neither one of them covers the other's territory.

As for the USB connection...I would ignore it entirely. But that's just me.
    post edited by dantarbill - 2008/09/30 19:19:17

Dan Tarbill
    CreatingNoise
    RE: Acoustic/Electric MIDI guitar?? 2008/09/30 20:58:25 (permalink)
    washburn100,
    I am biased, but I would suggest the Godin. I have the LGX-SA and it covers a LOT of territory. The only drawback is that the synth access is based on 13 pin Roland and not a MIDI cable. So basically you have to hook it up to a guitar synth with a MIDI out or to a MIDI converter in order to transmit MIDI data to a synth or to a MIDI in soundcard for use with softsynths. The USB connection of the Brian Moore probably can transmit MIDI data directly into the computer although I am not 100% sure of that. But I didn't like the idea of having my guitar hook to the PC to facilitate synth use. Some people don't like the piezo/acoustic sound but I personally think it is great. I only have one problem with my Godin and it is probably unique to my instrument, the g string has a tendency to go out of tune fairly easily. I had a luthier work on it and it seems a little better but not fully solved. The tracking for synth manipulation is not glitch free although you can affect it by string choices and the condition of the strings. It is a learning curve to manipulate a synth with the guitar and I am glad I have the GR-20 unit because the hold pedal is key for me it getting a good audio track layed down in many cases. Basically I love the guitar and I am learning to use it for MIDI but that takes practice. I'd buy this guitar even without the synth access, that is how much I like it.
    washburn100
    • Total Posts : 110
    RE: Acoustic/Electric MIDI guitar?? 2008/10/01 08:30:51 (permalink)
    Thanks for the feedback,

I was able to try some Godin's at Long & Mcquade last night, and they are a very nice guitar. I had also planned to get a Roland VG-99 for synth and midi control to be able to use the 13 pin connector. I have looked at the GI-20 which is just the Roland-midi interface. A lot cheaper, but I'm afraid I'd regret not getting any guitar synths.

As for the Brian Moore, I can't "kick the tires" as there is not a dealer near me. It is a good question about the USB controlling midi direct. I'll ask there support.

It's exciting to do the research, I've put away $2K to buy the toys, but I'm getting information overload.

One of my thoughts is to use a lot more hardware effects. Right now, I exclusively use VST effects and It gets pretty CPU intensive.

If I gave you guys the money, would you go pick something out for me?
    dantarbill
    RE: Acoustic/Electric MIDI guitar?? 2008/10/01 11:16:03 (permalink)

... The only drawback is that the synth access is based on 13 pin Roland and not a MIDI cable. So basically you have to hook it up to a guitar synth with a MIDI out or to a MIDI converter in order to transmit MIDI data to a synth or to a MIDI in soundcard for use with softsynths. The USB connection of the Brian Moore probably can transmit MIDI data directly into the computer although I am not 100% sure of that. But I didn't like the idea of having my guitar hook to the PC to facilitate synth use. ...

From what I gather (according to the Brian Moore website), the USB connection just does an Analog to Digital conversion to provide digital audio to your computer (see http://www.iguitar.com/pdf/iGuitarusbQSG.pdf ). MIDI still needs to get generated by something the 13 pin cable plugs into (i.e. it's not done "onboard").

Dan Tarbill
    Bajan Blue
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2029
    RE: Acoustic/Electric MIDI guitar?? 2008/10/01 11:34:38 (permalink)
    Hi
    I have a Godin XTSA - play it through a Roland GR33. I have had this set up about 4 years.
    I record MIDI direct from the GR33 into Sonar (7 waiting for 8!)
    When tracking I'll set the GR33 up to what is the nearest type of sound I am aiming for - but because I prefer other synths I invariably change this after I have the MIDI recorded. Just my way of doing things but works for me.
    Also I haven't noticed anybody mention it, but you can adjust the GR33 quite a bit re sensitivity etc - to be fair I have not adjusted mine for some time as I am quite happy with how it works now, but I remember when I first got it, I would get an enormous amount of double / phantom notes. Once adjusted and also as I think I became more practiced at playing this type of set up, things have improved immensely.

I have recently just purchased a Variax from Sweetwater - using it for some live stuff and some recording. Been very happy so far and I am very pleased I got one (and at a very good price!).
    Regards
    Nigel

Nigel
    Check out the first single from our new Album, On Top of the World
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTLVCOeTcTc

Check out our latest videos on
    http://www.youtube.com/user/DevineLie/videos

Check out our website
    www.devinelie.com

CreatingNoise
    RE: Acoustic/Electric MIDI guitar?? 2008/10/01 19:46:11 (permalink)
    Nigel,
    Good point about the sensitivity setting. It is definitely crucial to cutting down on misfires, glitches. So far I have used my GR-20 in audio tracking only in songs and I have used the DAW process to "hide" ugly parts. I have experimented with MIDI tracks and it works but I have yet to use it on a real song. I need to do that, I'm ignoring a whole new avenue of stuff there for sure.

Dan--yeah I suspected that might be the case on the BM guitars that MIDI would still need to be generated in some manner outside of the simple guitar to USB connection. Thanks for chiming in on that.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1