Acoustics Primer

Author
nprime
Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2423
2005/03/30 00:43:04 (permalink)

Acoustics Primer

I just posted this over in the Gear section as a response to a specific question, but it lies buried deep in thread, and it took a bit of work to write, so I am also posting it here.

This is a specific example of a typical "bedroom studio"...the dimensions of your room may differ but the general concepts hold true for any smaller room with an eight foot ceiling.

Assuming that your ceiling is 8 ‘ high then the first four axial room resonance modes occur at the following frequencies (in Hertz):

1st 2nd 3rd 4th

8’ 71 141 212 283

12’ 43 87 130 174

13’ 47 94 141 188

They do not stop there, just keep multiplying the first number by whole number integers to find all the harmonics of these dimensions. These numbers represent the “standing waves” that will build up and completely screw up the low frequency response of the room. They cannot be overcome with equalization.

These lower frequencies are a real problem to deal with. You must choose a method for absorption of these powerful waves. They are most often treated with dense foam corner traps. This works and is relatively inexpensive. It is also easy to install.

Another solution is the membrane absorber. This involves placing a flexible membrane of known density (plywood, or compressed fiberglass) across a cavity of specific depth so as to create a type of “drum” that will resonate at the axial room mode frequencies. This will effectively absorb the low frequency energy and prevent the resonance from building up in the room. You can build or buy these.

You can build a simple broadband membrane absorber by screwing and gluing pieces of 1”x2” to the wall at less then 4” apart. Then take a 4’ wide piece of ¼” or 1/8” plywood and jam it in between the 1” x 2” ‘s, so that the plywood is forced to curve outward from the wall. Glue the joints or caulk them. You can lightly fill the cavity behind the plywood with fiberglass insulation; or if you prefer, cotton batting, wool is actually the best, but it tends to settle, as do all the natural fibers. The deeper the curve the lower the frequencies you will affect. The beauty of this construction is that the gently curving surface also makes a great midrange diffuser. Some people will also cover the surface with fabric to help absorb higher frequencies. Do not use heavy fabrics, as this will dampen the absorber’s membrane, lessening its effectiveness. You must cut little plywood caps for the ends and glue them on to seal the enclosure. These structures can be placed either vertically of horizontally. They look cool and they work. Build a bunch; don’t forget they can go on the ceiling too!

As a side note, bookcases full of books make rather effective low frequency absorbers, (and the random spines make pretty good diffusers). Overstuffed cushy sofas or chairs don’t hurt either.

The midrange and higher frequencies require a different approach, once we get over 500 Hz we require the judicious use of both diffusion and absorption, somewhere in the 50/50 range. Hard parallel surfaces are not a good thing. Reflections between them must be prevented.

Absorption can be of the foam variety. Once again easy to buy and easy to install. Heavy curtains qualify as high frequency absorbers, although they are probably not very effective below 1000 Hz. Carpet works.

Diffusion is the most neglected of the acoustic tools, yet when done properly it can make a big difference. Diffusion breaks up the sound waves, thereby preventing them from continuously bouncing back and forth and building up into “flutter” echoes, “standing wave’s” higher frequency equivalent.

There are products that are scientifically designed to diffuse a wide variety of frequencies. Stick ‘em on the wall and away you go. Yes, egg cartons will diffuse sound, if they are free give some a try.

In essence what you want is to change a smooth reflective surface into a rougher bumpier type of surface. Protuberances. You want lots of stuff that sticks out. This could be art, the above-mentioned bookcase full of books, or whatever breaks up the surface and adds dimension to the wall. You could randomly cut up a hundred pieces of 2”x2” to lengths between 1” and 6” long, and then glue them in an attractive geometric pattern to a sheet of plywood and hang it on the wall (or ceiling), a la Prince’s Paisley Park control room.

The real trick is balance. You don’t want to overdo the absorption. Dead rooms are not useful and are uncomfortable to be in. Better to err on the side of diffusion than absorption.

Chaz mentioned first reflections. Ideally the path between you and your audio monitors should be free of hard reflective obstacles. Obstacles between you and the tweeter will cause acoustic reflections, and create a series of ever changing comb filters which shift around the mid to high frequency spectrum as you move your head forward or side to side.

As to the distribution of these various methods about the room:

Bass trapping, as much as you can afford or take the time to build.

Absorption should definitely be on the wall behind the speakers at ear level, say the middle four feet of the wall. Above this should be diffusion. Below the strip of absorption should be bass trapping. The corners behind and above the speakers should be treated with bass trapping. The wall opposite the speakers should have bass trapping in the corners and lots of diffusion. The wall on either side should be a 50/50 mix of diffusion and absorption, and could include additional bass trapping along the upper corners.. If the floor is carpeted then put lots of diffusion on the ceiling, most especially above the mixing position.

R

Listen

Sonar 5PE
Intel DP35DP, E6750, 3 GB, 80GB/320 GB
Scope (6 DSP) w/A16 interface
PadKontrol, Legacy Series MS20, EZDrummer.

18 Replies Related Threads

johndale
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3228
    RE: Acoustics Primer 2005/03/30 05:42:23 (permalink)
    Double posting are we" No your essay there contains a lot of good info. It probably should have been posted here to start with. By the way, thanks for taking the time to write it........................JDW
    DonnyAir
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1201
    RE: Acoustics Primer 2005/03/30 08:25:58 (permalink)
    I just posted this over in the Gear section as a response to a specific question, but it lies buried deep in thread, and it took a bit of work to write, so I am also posting it here.

An absolute "must read", for anyone, regardless of experience level.
    Great Job Nprime.

-Donny
    chaz
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2775
    RE: Acoustics Primer 2005/03/30 21:18:16 (permalink)
    Great post, Rod! Saves me from having to write and post a dissertation this weekend.

Thanks.
    kidsoncoffee
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 524
    RE: Acoustics Primer 2005/04/01 17:26:22 (permalink)
    Thanks Rod!

I will have to read it a couple times to get some of the stuff, but It saved me from posting a redundent thread.
    I've got it bookmarked

Thanks again
    joe
    Joe Bravo
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1870
    RE: Acoustics Primer 2005/04/11 12:49:27 (permalink)
    Oh to be rich enough to afford a little log cabin out back shaped like the inside of a violin. I would never come out.

But this would be nice too!
    dcastle
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2623
    RE: Acoustics Primer 2005/04/22 11:38:41 (permalink)
    Greetings Rod,

Thanks for the information, but I think the title is misleading, it should be something like "Primer on Small Studio Standing Waves"

If you edit the post to include a picture, it would be perfect!

Regards,
    David

ASUS M3A78 AMD 9950 Quad 2.6G 8GB
    Shure • Rhode • Audio-Technica • Allen&Heath GL2200-24
    MOTU 24i • Presonus Firepod • E-MU 1212m • Zoom H2
    SONAR 2XL-8PE • Sound Forge 1-9 • Audacity 0.1-1.3
    nprime
    RE: Acoustics Primer 2005/04/22 11:52:51 (permalink)
    In the end acoustics comes down to three principles: Absorbption, diffussion, and reflection. Combined they determine the RT60 value for a particular space (the time it takes an impulse to decay by 60 dB).

It is true that larger spaces (auditoriums, theaters, etc.) have an immedediate advantage over typical residential rooms, in that there standing waves are sub-sonic (below twenty Hertz). These spaces still relay on absorbption and diffusion to sound pleasing (ever notice how bad a gymnasium sounds with all those hard paralell reflective surfaces?).

Well your point is well taken about the title, I think it is a given that the majority of the people here are not working with large spaces...so the distinction you are making, well correct, is unneccessary, IMHO. In fact, except for the issue of standing waves and bass-trapping, the rest of the principles address issues common to all spaces.

Thanks for reading.

R

Listen

Sonar 5PE
    kidsoncoffee
    RE: Acoustics Primer 2005/09/10 16:46:17 (permalink)
    Rod,

Is a heavely texured wall going to make any kind of differance as far as diffusion?

Thanks
    joe
    zgraf
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 350
    RE: Acoustics Primer 2005/09/10 22:57:48 (permalink)

You can build a simple broadband membrane absorber by screwing and gluing pieces of 1”x2” to the wall at less then 4” apart. Then take a 4’ wide piece of ¼” or 1/8” plywood and jam it in between the 1” x 2” ‘s, so that the plywood is forced to curve outward from the wall.

Can't quite picture how the 4' piece of plywood is to be "jammed in". Can you post an illustration?
    kidsoncoffee
    RE: Acoustics Primer 2005/09/10 23:32:29 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: zgraf

You can build a simple broadband membrane absorber by screwing and gluing pieces of 1”x2” to the wall at less then 4” apart. Then take a 4’ wide piece of ¼” or 1/8” plywood and jam it in between the 1” x 2” ‘s, so that the plywood is forced to curve outward from the wall.

Can't quite picture how the 4' piece of plywood is to be "jammed in". Can you post an illustration?

I'll second that
    wogg
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1819
    RE: Acoustics Primer 2005/09/11 11:36:41 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: zgraf

1/4" ply is pretty flexible. You should be able to bend it a good bit to get it in.

And thanks Rod... good stuff!

Homepage:
    The World of Wogg

nprime
    RE: Acoustics Primer 2005/09/11 15:51:24 (permalink)
    You jam the plywood in so that it bows towards you into a semi-circular shape. In other words you are creating a rounded suface that will deflect the waves in a direction other than towards the other wall. This helps to break up standing waves.

1/8" ply will do and it's even easier to bend.

R

Listen

Sonar 5PE
    zgraf
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 350
    RE: Acoustics Primer 2005/09/11 16:38:29 (permalink)
    [Top view shown] Presuming you mean a single large arc [bottom], and not a series of small, individual arcs [top]

nprime
    RE: Acoustics Primer 2005/09/11 17:28:49 (permalink)
    Can be either way. It's best if you make them all slightly different actually...alternate small, medium and large spacings. You may have to cut the plywood for the smaller spacings. These can be both horizontal and vertical BTW. It's a great corner treatment as well, anywhere two surfaces meet (wall/wall or ceiling/wall). In this case you will make a quarter of a circle arc.

Thanks for the illustrations.

R

Listen

Sonar 5PE
    kidsoncoffee
    RE: Acoustics Primer 2005/09/11 19:02:25 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: kidsoncoffee

Rod,

Is a heavely texured wall going to make any kind of differance as far as diffusion?

Thanks
    joe

I guess not.
    codashome
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: Acoustics Primer 2005/09/12 08:14:31 (permalink)
    Joe,
    Unless I misunderstood the question, my acoustics 102 prof, or The Master Handbook of Acoustics, your textured wall will probably only diffuse very high frequecies. How deep the texture is will correspond to the wavelength of the frequencies that will be affected. The frequency of 1", for example, is roughly 44,304 Hz. What the texture will probably do is slightly add to the mass of the wall, which will alter the absorption and STC characteristics. In terms of diffusion, you are better off adding the bookcase with random size books. Personally, I wish I had the space (and an understanding wife) to put up the absorbers nprime describes.

kidsoncoffee
    RE: Acoustics Primer 2005/09/12 11:57:49 (permalink)
    codashome,

Thank you very much for the response and explanation.

Ya I think I'm in the same boat as far as wife's are concerned.

Thanks again
    joe
    nprime
    RE: Acoustics Primer 2005/09/12 12:43:13 (permalink)
    I'm expecting you to bend them so that they stick out 6" or more, even 12" for a full sheet of plywood. I assure you that it will diffuse down into the midrange frequencies that way.

You know, if you use a nice veneer these things can look very attractive with a coat of polyurethane on them.

R

Listen

Sonar 5PE
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1