Helpful ReplyAdd Real-Time Midi Input Recording to the Step Sequencer

Author
JAB3
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 189
2016/01/16 15:11:05 (permalink)
4.33 (3)

Add Real-Time Midi Input Recording to the Step Sequencer

I've stopped using Sonar religiously over the last few years due to the fact that most of my production has been heavily drum/pattern based. So I've been using tools like Guru, Geist, and NI Maschine.

For years, I've wanted the capability to be able to input drum tracks into the Sonar step sequence in real-time. The step sequencer/loop recording approach has helped me make more synchronized and tighter (timing wise) rhythm tracks. However, I've always had problems making crisps rhythm tracks via Sonar's standard piano roll, standard track interface. Even quantizing after the fact still doesn't give me that feel that drum machine recorders do.

If Cakewalk would kindly add real-time midi input into the Sonar Step Sequencer, this would bring me back home. In many cases, where a simply drum/rhythm track is all I need, I don't want to have to always load up a drum sequencer VST plugin. It would be great if Sonar upped this functionality in the step sequencer. I thought Project 5 functionality being absorbed into Sonar would have inherently included this feature.

Cakewalk, please add real-time loop recording capability to the step sequencer.. Thanks

Sincerely,
JAB3
JAB3
Re: Add Real-Time Midi Input Recording to the Step Sequencer 2016/01/23 10:10:41 (permalink)
Bump.

Sincerely,
JAB3
JAB3
Re: Add Real-Time Midi Input Recording to the Step Sequencer 2016/01/28 18:26:07 (permalink)
+1 (1)
Does anyone agree with me, or am I all alone on this?

Sincerely,
JAB3
dwardzala
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1470
Re: Add Real-Time Midi Input Recording to the Step Sequencer 2016/01/28 18:56:03 (permalink)
I am not sure how you envision implementing this with the step sequencer.  There are a couple of other ways you could accomplish what you are trying to do:
1)  Step recording - you set record steps (like the divisions in the step sequencer), and input midi data with your midi device.
2)  Slow your tempo way, way down and input live.  Slower tempo should give you crisper rhythm patterns.  Since its midi, you can speed it up after you're done.

Dave
Main Studio- Core i5 @2.67GHz, 16Gb Ram, (2) 500Gb HDs, (1) 360 Gb HD
MotU Ultralite AVB, Axiom 49 Midi Controller, Akai MPD18 Midi Controller
Win10 x64 Home
Sonar 2017.06 Platinum (and X3e, X2c, X1d)

Mobile Studio - Sager NP8677 (i7-6700HQ @2.67MHz, 16G Ram, 250G SSD, 1T HD)
M-Box Mini v. 2
Win 10 x64 Home
Sonar 2016.10 Platinum

Check out my original music:
https://soundcloud.com/d-wardzala/sets/d-wardzala-original-music

djserg
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 34
Re: Add Real-Time Midi Input Recording to the Step Sequencer 2016/02/15 16:00:00 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby robert_e_bone 2016/02/18 12:25:32
+1 (1)
Hey Jab3,
I'm assuming you want to program drums like I do. Starting with a basic groove/beat that I record in real-time. Then add/edit/adjust using the tab on/off style found in Sonar's drum sequencer. Then looping as needed to map out your track/song in Sonar, and then making variants of your loop for Intros/verses/hooks/bridges/etc..
If so then this might help:
I use Sonar to do this almost everyday. I find Sonar and the drum sequencer it to be really good for this style of recording and editing.
So I start by recording my basic drum pattern in real time into any midi track in Sonar. (I do this easy, by arming a midi track to record and set it's input to "omni" - which is any midi channel) I usually apply a little quantization at this point, but once I'm fairly happy with it- I'll slip edit the clip (also I'll bounce to one clip if i need to). So now I have a complete loop section (say 2 or 4 bars). I then I change the clip into the step sequencer view (by clicking the icon on the top right corner of any midi clip, looks like little bars) NOTE: In Sonar, you can change ANY midi clip into a step sequencer clip (even previously recorded clips in Piano Roll) and vise-versa. I believe that's why they call it "view", because you can alter how you view/edit the midi data at any time.

Now to make the variants of your loop/sequence for bridges/verses/hooks/etc...
1. Make a copy of your clip. (usually I'll hold down the control key while dragging a clip to a blank area in the midi track)
2. Right click on the copied clip and select "unlink step sequencer clips" (now you have new clip that you can change/alter/edit and it won't affect any of the other clips).
3. I usually take this time to change the color of this clip to something I can recognize quickly. I like all my hooks to be blue, all my bridges are usually yellow. Then when I make copies, those copies retain the same color AND they are all linked together. (So if i make a change to the loop in one hook, all the hooks get updated). This allows me to work quick and keep the project organised. 

It's important to note that by default, anytime you make a copy of a sequencer clip it's linked to the original clip. This means that if you make a change in one of the clips, all the "copied/linked" clips get updated with that change. This can be very useful when working with verses/hooks/bridges as they tend to usually share the same loop/clip.

There's some pretty useful Sonar Step Sequencer tutorials on YT. Worth the time to really get familiar with it's features and discover how powerful it is.

I really do enjoy working this way and it has helped me get projects done faster and have more fun doing it. I hope this helps.

Sergio

post edited by djserg - 2016/02/15 17:10:21
BASSJOKER
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 247
Re: Add Real-Time Midi Input Recording to the Step Sequencer 2016/02/26 08:03:25 (permalink)
Thanks for that tutorial info Sergio ....I have stumbled around in the sequencer/drum realm awhile ago on occasion not really doing it all correctly....gonna go back and try as you suggest and see if I can progress a bit easier....I believe I will  ;o)

-Steve

MC7, Lexicon Alpha, Win10,Toshiba,Sat L955,Intel I5 1.7G, 6G Ram, 64 Bit,  Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Marshall, Vox, Ashdown

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1