Addictive Drums 2 and single audio drum track

Author
harpman58
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 84
2017/04/24 14:43:32 (permalink)

Addictive Drums 2 and single audio drum track

We recently did a performance and the sound engineer combined the drum tracks (Kick, Snare, Toms, Overhead) into a single audio track.  I'd like to be able to use AD2 to attempt to separate the kit into their appropriate audio track using a combination of EQ and AD2. Is that even possible?  Unfortunately I can only work with what I have.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  

Gio Stefani
Sound / Video Engineer
Stefani Entertainment

DAW
Intel i7 4700MQ (Haswell) 2.4 GHz 8 Cores
16 GB DDR3 Memory
1 TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD (OS/Programs) 
1 TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD (Data/Recordings)
Behringer X18 Digital Mixer
Windows 10 Enterprise x64
SONAR Platinum Lifetime Upgrades

14 Replies Related Threads

Starise
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7563
    Re: Addictive Drums 2 and single audio drum track 2017/04/24 14:51:25 (permalink)
    You could probably use drum replacement for at least the kick. If it's a clean uncomplicated track it might be possible to make it a midi track through conversion and sort the notes to the parts of the kit. I've never attempted anything like that though.

It might be easier to play a midi part along with the real part, basically copying it and go from there, since it doesn't sound like you will be saving the original anyhow.

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
    3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
    Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
     CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: Addictive Drums 2 and single audio drum track 2017/04/24 14:56:49 (permalink)
    You can try drum replacer but you'll never separate all the kit, you might have no problem extracting the kick and snare but the rest I doubt it. You need separate tracks. Toms might also work. 

If you have time on your hands you can duplicate the track manually note by note.

An example would be extract what you can with drum replacer, convert to midi so you can use AD for playback. Now using a keyboard controller or beter yet,  Digital drum pads, play the hi hat and whatnot to new midi tracks. 

Edit- ha ha I see Starise and me were typing at the same time and gave you the same answer--must be a good one :) 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re: Addictive Drums 2 and single audio drum track 2017/04/25 12:09:26 (permalink)
    Does your version of SONAR include Melodyne?
    Its audio-to-midi could offer some help? You could get an idea of it by dropping a snippet of the drum track on a MIDI track (?). I don't have the ARA Melodyne, but isn't that how it works?

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    loopyd
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 117
    Re: Addictive Drums 2 and single audio drum track 2017/04/25 12:37:51 (permalink)
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Does your version of SONAR include Melodyne?
    Its audio-to-midi could offer some help? You could get an idea of it by dropping a snippet of the drum track on a MIDI track (?). I don't have the ARA Melodyne, but isn't that how it works?

I have a melodyne license it came with the platinum bundle.  And no.  Melodyne works really well on vocals or anything with a  real, recognizable pitch.  Precussion is a lot harder for it to decipher, because the waveform from a kit is just straight up noise.

Tell your sound engineer put some MIDI mics under those drums, or go back to college!  You can set 'em up for vibration or sound.  You'd at least have MIDI data to work with in that case.  They look like little flat sensors just slap em on with some strong adhesive and run their conduit appropriately to the hub. 

I don't like the latency if wireless but if your sound guy can tolerate it go for it.  They are also more pricy to go wireless.  But more convenient.  You're spending less money on duct tape and black spray paint and less of a chance your guitarist and/or vocalist will take a tumble.

The thing about live performance boils down to the acustics of the stage and all the ambient around the kit.  Makes anything working off audio triggers go crazy.  Vibration recommended.  It turns mastering into quite the challenge.  MIDI mics, and some samples right off your kit into XLN Addictive Drums 2 for the "Studio LP".

In therapy for SSH-shell second-hand-managed VPS-induced PTSD.
    Courtesy BlueHost

dlion16
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 391
    Re: Addictive Drums 2 and single audio drum track 2017/04/25 13:41:57 (permalink)
    I'd make two copies of the track. Eq one low for the kick, the other high for the snare and hat. Put verb on the original and turn it down. 

SONAR Platinum Lifetime 64-bit; Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 2nd Gen.; KRK Rokit 5; ASUS P9X79; INTEL I7-3820 3.6 GHZ;
    850 WATT POWER SUPPLY; EVGA NVIDIA GTX560 TI 1GB;
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit; 32GB RAM;
    2 Internal SSD Drives, 3 External USB drives.
    harpman58
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 84
    Re: Addictive Drums 2 and single audio drum track 2017/04/25 18:07:45 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the input, I knew it wasn't going to be a quick endeavor.  I'll give it a go with duplicating tracks, EQing and using drum replacer.  I don't expect quality results.  It is what it is :(.

Gio Stefani
    Sound / Video Engineer
    Stefani Entertainment

DAW
    Intel i7 4700MQ (Haswell) 2.4 GHz 8 Cores
    16 GB DDR3 Memory
    1 TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD (OS/Programs) 
    1 TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD (Data/Recordings)
    Behringer X18 Digital Mixer
    Windows 10 Enterprise x64
    SONAR Platinum Lifetime Upgrades
    57Gregy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re: Addictive Drums 2 and single audio drum track 2017/04/25 20:45:50 (permalink)
    Slice and dice, drag and drop.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    bluzdog
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1928
    Re: Addictive Drums 2 and single audio drum track 2017/04/25 23:09:09 (permalink)
    Addictive Trigger works well for separating Kick, snare and toms. I don't know of an effective way to break out the hats and cymbals. There is a fantastic video at Groove 3 on drum replacement that covers Addictive Trigger and Slate Digital Trigger.

Rocky
    bluzdog
    Re: Addictive Drums 2 and single audio drum track 2017/04/25 23:58:48 (permalink)
    I just had another thought: If you pulled the kick, snare and toms out with Addictive Trigger. Flipped the phase of the individual hits (original), sent them to the same buss as the full kit mix they should cancel out and leave only the hats and cymbals.

Rocky
    bluzdog
    Re: Addictive Drums 2 and single audio drum track 2017/04/26 20:14:02 (permalink)
    You could also use Melodyne:

Copy the drum mix to a new track, Create region fx with melodyne and make sure the algorithm is set to percussion, select the snare drum hits in the first measure, choose select special in the edit dropdown menu, choose select same beats in all bars, choose select special again and choose invert note selection. That will select everything but the except the snare hits. If some hits are miss you can use the select tool and control+click to add them. Use the amplitude tool to lower the gain of everything selected. This will leave the snare track isolated, you could even delete everything but the snare on that track and/or export as midi to use in Addictive Drums. Select region effects and apply region effects.
    Copy the drum mix and do the same for the kick track.

For toms you can split the drum mix at the tom hits and paste them into their own track(s). If you want the midi for them apply region effects ->Melodyne ->export as midi and adjust the midi in the piano roll view as needed.

You can create simulated overheads by using the above method and selecting kick, snare and tomsin the first step and lower the gain on them as needed.

Rocky
    loopyd
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 117
    Re: Addictive Drums 2 and single audio drum track 2017/04/26 20:42:45 (permalink)
    57Gregy
    Slice and dice, drag and drop.

Buy it use it, quick re-write it.
    I got hung up on zipping and unzipping it though.
    That part of the song was painful.

In therapy for SSH-shell second-hand-managed VPS-induced PTSD.
    Courtesy BlueHost

mettelus
    Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5321
    Re: Addictive Drums 2 and single audio drum track 2017/04/26 20:57:20 (permalink)
    You also may be able to dissect the parts drum replacer cannot get by inserting an EQ with high gain and Q (audio microscope) and finding a defined frequency that makes that piece stand out. Then run that signal through a gate till only the kit piece you are trying to recognize pokes through.

You may be able to drag/drop that onto a MIDI track or even use drum replacer to turn the blips into MIDI triggers.

Never tried that myself, but if problematic, manual MIDI insertion is a good fallback as mentioned above.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    mettelus
    Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5321
    Re: Addictive Drums 2 and single audio drum track 2017/04/26 20:57:54 (permalink)
    Dupe

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    bluzdog
    Re: Addictive Drums 2 and single audio drum track 2017/04/27 00:37:49 (permalink)
    This video shows how to get midi from a stereo drum mix using Melodyne. He uses the stand alone version but it should work the same with the plugin version. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enYsjfCggvY

Rocky
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1