Addictive Drums Processing

Author
JohnEgan
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 543
2015/07/12 11:39:06 (permalink)

Addictive Drums Processing

In using Addictive Drums (or similar midi drum instrument software), I'm wondering if someone could provide some guidance and advice.
- Is their any real reason to do additional mixing and other FX processing in Sonar of individual drum kit pieces/track (s), since its basically all done within the AD software kit pieces, mixer and effect editors features. (unless its some special effect not found in AD)? 
- Is there any advantage in Sonar to using separate AD midi tracks for individual kit pieces, and/or bouncing them into individual audio tracks for additional mixing/processing as individual audio tracks, having got the sound and mix levels desired from within AD software itself?
(i.e., is there a reason to clutter a project with all these individual kit piece tracks, which would be mixed to single bus anyways, rather than save mix pre-sets I've developed in AD, and make any mix adjustments from within AD if required, rather than in a Sonar track and just record as a pre-mixed single drum track?

2 Replies Related Threads

Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re: Addictive Drums Processing 2015/07/13 02:50:50 (permalink)
    JohnEgan

- Is there any advantage in Sonar to using separate AD midi tracks for individual kit pieces, and/or bouncing them into individual audio tracks for additional mixing/processing as individual audio tracks, having got the sound and mix levels desired from within AD software itself? 

I know there are some using a workflow which utilizes separate MIDI tracks, but the "usual" way is to have all the MIDI on one track and use separate audio output tracks. That way you can use, say, side chaining or other more advanced techniques on chosen kit pieces. It depends very much on the genre of your music. In EDM it's normal to FX heavily almost any kit piece, and ADs own FX collection isn't enough for that (then again, EDM guys mostly use other software for drums, I guess). 

I often have only kick and snare routed to their own audio tracks, as my stuff is quite "conservative", but I almost never bounce the drums, because I tend to edit them to the very end, still while mixing.

But in the end it all depends on what you're after.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    JohnEgan
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 543
    Re: Addictive Drums Processing 2015/07/13 08:18:24 (permalink)
    Thanks for response, and tips.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1