Adding reverb to a snare drum .wav

Author
ACE STOKES 2.0
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 141
2012/12/02 03:22:06 (permalink)

Adding reverb to a snare drum .wav

I wanted to add reverb to just the snare to get a W.A.S.P. type sound. I think it was Smart Loops (could be wrong) that had a tutorial on how to do this. Are there easier ways? I know there are other effects such as EQ Compression and Gates used. Is there a "proper" signal chain order?? I've tried different things like taking a snare .wav and "printing" reverb with it- then pasting that in to a loop. BUT-You can't go back and change effect. I tried effects in an Aux Bus with just a snare .wav on the track. With a slower PC I didn't want to have a lot of VST's running. But to get the snare sound I want I'm open for suggestions!!

2 Replies Related Threads

SteveStrummerUK
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31112
    Re:Adding reverb to a snare drum .wav 2012/12/02 05:42:48 (permalink)
    Ace, I understand how awkward it can be working with audio loops. Now I only use MIDI for drums, but I do have a possible solution to your problem, based on what I used to do.

The key to the technique is creating your own loops - this is reasonably easy if you have the 'single hit' drum sounds used in your loops.

Even if you don't, you should be able to isolate each instrument from the kit by careful splitting. Here's a one measure drum loop with just kick drum and snare; the pattern is K---S---K-K-S--- (think intro of Judas Priest's Living After Midnight):

To 'extract' the kick and snare hits from this loop, first make sure Snap-to-grid is turned on and set to a small enough fraction of a bar to be able to slice the loop accurately enough - in my example I've selected 1/16th of a measure.

Now simply split the clip either side of a 'hit' to isolate a single kick hit and a single snare hit:

You can work through your loops to find single sounds for each component of a complete drum kit.

For ease of use in future, I recommend dragging each isolated single hit to a new track and then trimming it with the Split tool so the hit starts at the beginning of the clip. Now create a new "Single Hits" folder and export each hit individually to this folder, remembering to name them appropriately:

Here are the kick and snare from my example, dragged to new tracks and trimmed so the initial attack of the drum is at the beginning of the clip:

At this stage, you could also add (Process) reverb to each hit and save them all alongside your 'dry' samples. Most importantly though, if you do add reverb, remember to allow for the extra audio created as the reverb tail dies away after the initial drum strike:

Here's an example of using just the snare+reverb and kick single hit clips I've saved to create a brand new drum loop. To create your own, just import the components you want to use from your new "Single Hits" folder and (remembering to have your snap-to-grid turned on and set to a high enough resolution) and then copy/drag them into position. Here I've arranged my new loop to be in the pattern K-K-S-----K-S-

You can of course create and save any number of new loops this way and simply import them into your project instead of creating a new loop each time. In my example here, I've selected all the parts of the loop and then (right click) Bounce to Clip to create a new one measure long loop:

This gives me:

By the way Ace, if you need some single hits, just PM me your email address and I'll send you a few over.

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

ACE STOKES 2.0
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 141
    Re:Adding reverb to a snare drum .wav 2012/12/02 11:47:42 (permalink)
      Thanks Strummy!! I think you nailed it once again. I was doing a VERY lazy version of that-where I would take a loop and cut the snare out and paste a wet snare in it's place and bounce to clip it-then save/export. I never used the snap to grid (but I think I'm gonna start!) To build my own I would import the dry .wav then the track under it I would import my single hits and line them up by "sight". Snap to grid would have been WAY easier-live and learn I guess. It will also free up effects bin or Aux Bus Living After Midnight??? If I had a dollar for every time we had to play that LOL!!! Great example!! I could never get Midi past the "bleep-bloop" stage. But that's another post for another time. Thanks for taking the time and doing the screen caps!! Tell Cakewalk to put you on the payroll! PMin' shortly
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1