Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Jon Bryson
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 377
2004/06/03 11:44:31 (permalink)

Adobe Audition 1.5 and Sonar

Hi,

Was just wondering if there is anyone here using Adobe Audition with Sonar as a wave editor? I'm looking for a dedicated wave editor and have checked out Soundforge and WaveLab, but noticed the new ver. of Audition (1.5) has some nice features like frequency space editing and pitch correction. I currently use Sonar 2.2 and am thinking of using my 3.0 upgrade money for Audition instead (I can get it for $140) since it may give me features that are currently more important.

I would particularly be interested in hearing from users who can compare it to Soundforge or Wavelab, and also am particularly interested in how well the pitch correction works in comparison to the dedicated programs like Antares or the VoiceTweaker.

I've downloaded the demo, but it is version 1 which does not include some of the features that have attracted me to 1.5.

Thanks,
Jon Bryson

36 Replies Related Threads

thorne
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 468
    RE: Adobe Audition 1.5 and Sonar 2004/06/03 12:47:41 (permalink)
    I would like to do the same as I prefer the effects and editing options in Audition and I cannot figure out how to integrate Audition into Sonar 3PE.

I have used the Audition pitch correction on a few vocal parts that were otherwise great performances except for a few wavering, held notes. It works very well but sounds unnatural. Fortunately for me the vocal parts I doctored were 1 or 2 of a 5-part harmony section so the "unnaturalness" is hidden. Thorne
    Jon Bryson
    RE: Adobe Audition 1.5 and Sonar 2004/06/03 13:15:24 (permalink)
    Out of curiosity, did you use the auto or manual mode when you did the pitch correction? I obtained unnatural results when using the auto mode for RBC VoiceTweaker and found the manual mode to work better.

As you can probably tell, I really hope Audition will work for me as it would save me a bundle having to get and editor and pitch corrector separately!

Jon
    ba_midi
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14061
    RE: Adobe Audition 1.5 and Sonar 2004/06/03 13:57:15 (permalink)
    I use Audition as my wav editor all the time ... my usual approach is to do all my work in Sonar, and then mixdown (bounce to track) a stereo mix in Sonar. I then highlight that track so it is the 'selected' track (or just SOLO it) and then use the TOOLS menu to shove it into Audition (you need to tell Sonar to "share audio drivers" in the options).

The mixdown then gets loaded into Audition and I do whatever I want there.

Works great. I'ma bout to get 1.5 upgrade as well.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
    Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
    Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
    thorne
    RE: Adobe Audition 1.5 and Sonar 2004/06/03 14:01:29 (permalink)
    Jon - I used the manual mode and selected the pitch I wanted Sonar to "correct" to. I believe Sonar presents a dialog with a G clef and you just add the note you want. One problem I had was that, if I didn't specify the note duration correctly, Sonar truncated or elongated the actual audio. I had to play with note durations to get it just right. Thorne
    thorne
    RE: Adobe Audition 1.5 and Sonar 2004/06/03 14:03:24 (permalink)
    Billy - What I want to do is edit a single audio track, not the entire mix. What I've never been able to do is to get Audition added to the Tools menu in Sonar. Can you tell me how to do that so I don't have to load manually the track into Audition (and then reload the edited track back into Sonar)? Thanks! Thorne
    < Message edited by thorne -- 6/3/2004 1:06:07 PM >
    dwdeakle
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11
    RE: Adobe Audition 1.5 and Sonar 2004/06/03 14:25:10 (permalink)
    Me Too--I have the same problem

I have used Cool Edit Pro with Cakewalk Pro Audio and then Sonar 1 with no problems for years. But since I upgraded to Sonar3producer, I have not been able to get Sonar3 to list Cool Edit or Audition 1.0 in the Tool menu. I have highlighted the clip/track, and then gone to TOOLS, but it still is not there.

Is this feature of using CoolEditPro or Audtion not supported as a tool in Sonar 3 anymore? Or is there a simple click of some button that
    I need to perform?

I use Cooledit primarily for Noise Reduction of individual clips or wav files--removing hiss from a microphoned recording.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Athlon 64
    CPU 3200+
    Gigabyte Ga-k8npro
    80 meg Western SATA and Western 60 meg ATA
    1 gig PC3200 DDR
    Quattro
    Sonar Producer
    laughing_boy
    • Total Posts : 21
    RE: Adobe Audition 1.5 and Sonar 2004/06/03 14:58:27 (permalink)
    Downlaod Sonar Utilities from http://bruce-ennis.com:8085/Download.htm install and open, hit the tools tab click in the blank tools menu area and a pop will ask for the exe. path of AA point to this then click add/update then AA should now show up in your tools menu.
    ba_midi
    RE: Adobe Audition 1.5 and Sonar 2004/06/03 15:21:40 (permalink)
    Thorne,

I used SONAR UTILS (the latest version) to add Audition to the tools menu. Sonar Utils is available from Bruce Ennis at :

http://bruce-ennis.com or directly download at:
    http://bruce-ennis.com:8085/Downloads/SetupSonarUtils204.exe

TO do what you want, just select the single track (so it's highlighted, then entire track), then use the Tools menu (after Audition is installed in it) and click on Audition. Make sure you have the "Share Audio drivers" checked in Sonar's OPTIONS.

That will export the wav file of the track you selected into Audition; your system will then switch over to Audition where you can do what you want to the wav. When done, save the file; then exit AUdition.

Sonar will ask you if you want to update the track/file you just edited. Say Yes. And it should load the edited version back in.

Try that, see if it works for you.

ORIGINAL: thorne

Billy - What I want to do is edit a single audio track, not the entire mix. What I've never been able to do is to get Audition added to the Tools menu in Sonar. Can you tell me how to do that so I don't have to load manually the track into Audition (and then reload the edited track back into Sonar)? Thanks! Thorne
    < Message edited by ba_midi -- 6/3/2004 3:23:10 PM >

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

thorne
    RE: Adobe Audition 1.5 and Sonar 2004/06/03 15:39:25 (permalink)
    BEE-U-TEE-FULL !! Thanks, Billy. (haven't tried it yet but appreciate the help)
    bubblefish
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 914
    RE: Adobe Audition 1.5 and Sonar 2004/06/03 16:39:57 (permalink)
    I,ve been having the same problem linking sonar and audition 1.1 however even following the pointers above i had no joy.

I have audition pop up as an option within sonar tools, but i can't get it to import the highlighted track.

I,ve reinstalled sonar and audition a number of times over the past few months but this didN,t effect the outcome. ran sonar utilities as well.

maybe someone can help with this though , when you say to "share drivers" are you talking about the option within

options-audio-advanced-share drivers with other programs?

I have clicked this but its not helping at the moment, perhaps its somewhere else..

I had audition before i had sonar and really like it, I didN,t realise at first it was possible to use the two together. And had almost given up on using these features, it works so well as a stand alone program it didN,t matter that much.

still it would be good.

If you live the sacred and despise the ordinary,
    you are still bobbing in the ocean of delusion

Some sounds with spaces
    danp2000
    • Total Posts : 494
    RE: Adobe Audition 1.5 and Sonar 2004/06/03 16:46:54 (permalink)
    BTW, Autition v1.5 is as awsome as it looks.

Dan Proctor
    me@PwPCentral.net
    ba_midi
    RE: Adobe Audition 1.5 and Sonar 2004/06/03 17:01:00 (permalink)
    My pleasure -- enjoy!

ORIGINAL: thorne

BEE-U-TEE-FULL !! Thanks, Billy. (haven't tried it yet but appreciate the help)

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

Jon Bryson
    RE: Adobe Audition 1.5 and Sonar 2004/06/03 17:02:13 (permalink)
    Dan,

Care to elaborate?

Have you tried out the pitch correction? I'm still curious how that function compares to the big dogs... (thanks for the feedback, thorne!)

Thanks to all who have replied!

Jon
    ba_midi
    RE: Adobe Audition 1.5 and Sonar 2004/06/03 17:03:58 (permalink)
    maybe someone can help with this though , when you say to "share drivers" are you talking about the option within

options-audio-advanced-share drivers with other programs?

Yes, you must have this option CHECKED in order for Sonar to transfer the data and for Audition to be able to play it.

Make sure you have checked the option; then exit and relaunch sonar (don't have audition loaded).

Then select the track with the AUDIO data you will be using (making sure bit depths and all that are the same in both apps); make sure the entire track is "highlighted" ... then click on TOOLS menu, then on the AUDITION item.

You should see Sonar prepare the audio (mixdown) and it will automatically load AUdition for you, then Audition will load the wav data into itself.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

bubblefish
    RE: Adobe Audition 1.5 and Sonar 2004/06/03 17:46:25 (permalink)
    thanks billy

still no joy.

It does everything it should :load up audition etc from within sonar just it doesn't load the wav file.

the only thing i can,t seem to do is set the biT depths the same ,audition is always in 32bit but sonar in 24 prehaps this is the root of the probelm.

any poniters on how to set the default bit depths to 24 within audition?

but thanks for the help.

edit: I'm going to try a cold reboot and see if that helps.
    < Message edited by bubblefish -- 6/3/2004 5:49:45 PM >

Some sounds with spaces
    bubblefish
    RE: Adobe Audition 1.5 and Sonar 2004/06/03 18:12:34 (permalink)
    i was just reading the info for audition 1.5 and it said it now has rewire.

has anyone tried this with sonar, is it effective?

Some sounds with spaces
    Susan G
    • Total Posts : 12016
    RE: Adobe Audition 1.5 and Sonar 2004/06/03 19:35:22 (permalink)
    I came late to this thread, but there are a few ways to do it. If you don't want to hack the registry, try one of these:
    http://mandala-in-mind.de/
    http://www.cakewalk.com/support/new%20faq/tools_menu.html
    http://bruce-ennis.com:8085/Download.htm

-Susan
    bubblefish
    RE: Adobe Audition 1.5 and Sonar 2004/06/03 20:23:21 (permalink)
    bingo!!!!

reinstalled audition within sonar tools using the mandala in mind software, susan posted (thank you) and i noticed that audition was set as generic as opposed to wave editor.

made the adjustments and it all runs great for the first time.

marvelous..

many thanks people.
    < Message edited by bubblefish -- 6/3/2004 8:24:15 PM >

Some sounds with spaces
    danp2000
    RE: Adobe Audition 1.5 and Sonar 2004/06/03 22:07:13 (permalink)
    Haven't played with the pitch tools yet so I can't comment on them.

The frequency editing is freaky (you can remove a click and leave everything else in place (all the other frequencies).

The auto click removal tools are also cool (it just fills in the space from both sides, really neat and very invisible).

Also, the "center audio" editing is interesting. Let's say you have a track where the "center channel vocals" aren't loud enough you can fix that easily with Audition v1.5 (or you can just remove them entirely).

I don't understand the comment above about how "CoolEdit derivatives" not sounding natural. I started with CoolEdit2000 and have continued to upgrade from there. My customers have always been amazed with what I can do to help their sound after the stereo track is mixed.
    < Message edited by danp2000 -- 6/3/2004 10:08:34 PM >

Dan Proctor
    me@PwPCentral.net
    bubblefish
    RE: Adobe Audition 1.5 and Sonar 2004/06/03 22:27:20 (permalink)
    thanks dan

i think i might be putting the $69 ( i think) upgrade to the test.

I really like audition v1.1 great interface which i personally found easier to work with than sound forge. And like I have been really impressed with some of the nightmare audio situtions it has gotton me out of in the past.

now everyone has helped me to get sonar linked to audition as a wave editor i only expect more good things to come.

I know that adobe audition doesn,t always get the coverage that sound forge does but I,d recommend it anyday.

Some sounds with spaces
    Jon Bryson
    RE: Adobe Audition 1.5 and Sonar 2004/06/04 14:24:03 (permalink)
    One more question that I just thought of -- does Audition have bussing capabilities similar to Sonar 3? Since I am thinking of getting Audition instead of upgrading my Sonar 2.2 to 3 (at least for now), I'm wondering how you feel about doing a multitrack mix within Audition as compared to Sonar. I initially was thinking of just using Audition as a wave editor within Sonar, but am now wondering how well it would work for mixing after laying tracks in Sonar?

I probably will get a feel for this aspect of it as I play with the ver 1 demo I have, but occured to me I could delay my upgrade to Sonar 3 if Audition would help me get around 2.2's lack of bussing abilities.

Thanks,
    Jon
    thorne
    RE: Adobe Audition 1.5 and Sonar 2004/06/04 15:31:58 (permalink)
    Jon - I know it doesn't help that I'm not being specific, but I tried using Audition as a multi-track recorder and found it to be less flexible and far less functional than Sonar 3. Sonar 3 was designed to be a multi-track recorder whereas it seems to have been an afterthought for Audition. I love Audition for wave editing (I think it's MORE functional and flexible than Sonar 3 in that respect), but Sonar is far more mature in the multi-track recorder arena. Thorne
    Jon Bryson
    RE: Adobe Audition 1.5 and Sonar 2004/06/04 15:58:29 (permalink)
    Thanks Thorne.

You know, I found a couple of reviews that seem to mirror exactly what you have said regarding the multitracking, so guess it is probably wishful thinking on my part. I think I've gotten more than enough info to see that Audition will add plenty of functionality to my setup.

Thanks again!

Jon
    King Conga
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 519
    RE: Adobe Audition 1.5 and Sonar 2004/06/04 16:04:41 (permalink)
    I'm curious how anyone has gotten a copy of ver. 1.5. Those @#$%^& told me 2 wks ago it was backordered, and I actually ordered it 3 wks ago! That time they didn't tell me it was backordered! I'm still wondering why I couldn't just download the @#$% thing the way we could with Syntrillium. I haven't been at all satisfied with Adobe's support ever since they bought it out.

Having gotten that off my chest...I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this product. I had SoundForge 4b when I was still in the 16Bit realm. It was nice, but CoolEdit was so much user-friendlier, and intuitive. For instance, the FX presets were much more aptly descriptive. It's indespensible with Sonar! One of my fav features is the fact that you can adjust the amplitude by customized amts. instead of just +/- 3dB, and also normalize by customized amts or references (dB's, %ages, samples) instead of just Sonar's arbitrary amt. THESE are almost worth the price of the product themselves. The Noise Reduct. feature is also extremely handy. I don't think SForge had that feature, can't remember though. I also have made a habit of saving my wav files in Audition's Temp folder with it's own descriptive name, THEN close the app. Sonar comes up again, and I delete the old file, and import the Audition wav file. Yeah, it takes a little longer, but there's more security there I think.

BTW, has anyone had this problem? Even after I've assigned the 2 Temp folders to 2 separate partitions (NOT the C:\Docs&Set\~\Temp drive) it still saves stuff there by default unless I specifically tell it not to. AARRGGH!!

Another peculiar "tick" about Audition is when I use the Timeworks EQ or Comp from Audition I lose the presets that show up in Sonar. Any help there?

BaDumpBump,
    King Conga
    < Message edited by King Conga -- 6/4/2004 4:12:52 PM >
    ba_midi
    RE: Adobe Audition 1.5 and Sonar 2004/06/04 21:27:51 (permalink)
    Each app (Sonar and Audition) keep their own presets (ie., they are separate). I don't think there's a way around that currently, at least not to my knowledge.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

danp2000
    RE: Adobe Audition 1.5 and Sonar 2004/06/04 23:02:42 (permalink)
    I only use Audition v1.5 as a WAV editor and Sonar v3.1.1 for multi tracking.

The limititations of Audition for multi tracking are numerous (no ASIO support, limited bussing, etc.). I suggest upgrading to Sonar and purchasing Audition v1.5 for the best of both worlds (my opinion, not trying to start a war here).

Dan Proctor
    me@PwPCentral.net
    Cecelius
    • Total Posts : 33
    RE: Adobe Audition 1.5 and Sonar 2004/06/04 23:42:19 (permalink)
    I came late to this thread, but there are a few ways to do it. If you don't want to hack the registry, try one of these:
    http://mandala-in-mind.de/
    http://www.cakewalk.com/support/new%20faq/tools_menu.html
    http://bruce-ennis.com:8085/Download.htm

-Susan

Thanks Susan G for a great and simple program. This solved the Audition/CooleditPro problem for me. Now they are back where they belong as tools for Sonar3.

Great program.
    LaptopPop
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 853
    RE: Adobe Audition 1.5 and Sonar 2004/06/05 01:38:56 (permalink)
    King,

I ordered it from Adobe's website, and they shipped 1.5 out the next day, 24 hour delivery. Its installed on my machine now, and I'm just getting started playing with it.

No, it doesn't do bussing. It *does* have an easy track freeze (Sonar..hint, hint!), as well as premixing the multitrack audio to save CPU in playback.

I use Audition/CEP for wave file editing and final trimming on the way to the CD. I use the multitrack screen typically to load all the files for a CD into, then go back and forth between them so that I am happy with the relative volume between tracks on the cd.

Frequency space editing is a trip -- seems like it can almost do magic sometimes. I'm still figuring out all the cool things it can do.

The "center channel" tool is misnamed -- it can deal with signals anywhere in the stereo field, not just the center. For example, say you put your lead guitar at about midway on the right side -- you can reach in to the completed file and boost or cut just the content in that space.

The pitch correction seems like an older version of Autotune. I have V3 of Autotune, and it seems like it sounds much more natural than the Audition version, but I haven't done any head to head tests yet. Autotune has come out with V4 -- I'll probably upgrade sometime, but I'm in no hurry.

-lee-
    danp2000
    RE: Adobe Audition 1.5 and Sonar 2004/06/05 08:12:51 (permalink)
    I'm waiting for the lower cost version of Melodyne for pitch correction.

Dan Proctor
    me@PwPCentral.net
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1