Advice I got from GuitarCenter.com on which sound card

Author
garybeck
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 19
2006/11/21 22:49:43 (permalink)

Advice I got from GuitarCenter.com on which sound card

Hey,

I gotten so much good help from the good folks here as I have been trying to figure out what sound card to get. I wanted to share with everyone the inquiry and response I got from Guitar Center, to see if folks agree with the advice I got. Also this should be helpful to anyone else shopping sound cards.

----
My email to GuitarCenter support (their response is below):
----

Dear Guitar Center,

I want to purchase a card for my computer, for ameteur music recording. I am using Cakewalk software. I am considering a few different cards/interfaces and I have a few questions.

My basic requirements are:

1) Compatible with Cakewalk
2) Has headphone jack (compatible with unpowered headphones)
3) Can take an unpowered microphone input
--XLR preferred
4) can take 1/4" instrument input
5) $200 or less

I am open to PCI or Firewire (already have firewire port).

Here are the ones I'm looking at. If you have any other suggestions, or opinions on which is best please let me know:

M-Audio Delta 44 Digital Recording System
Can it take an unpowered mic?
My mics are XLR - so do you have an adapter I could use?
would i need powered headphones with this?

E-MU 1212M Master-Level Recording System
no headphone jack?

M-Audio FireWire Solo Mobile Audio Interface
where do I plug in my (powered) computer speakers for output? it has "balanced 1 and 2" outputs, 1/4. I have a common 1/8" stereo plug on my computers speakers.

PreSonus INSPIRE 1394 FireWire Audio Interface

M-Audio FireWire Audiophile Computer Recording Interface
will this take my unpowered mic?

This is actually an exchange. I bought the emu 0404 and before I even took it out of the package I realized that I need powered mics and powered headhpones, and I have decided to send it back. So I need help figuring out what to get instead. Which of the above (or other) is best?

Thanks for your help.

----
their response:
----

Response (Scott) - 11/21/2006 11:28 AM
Thank you for your recent inquiry.

My personal recommendation would be the PreSonus INSPIRE 1394 FireWire Audio Interface (http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_presonus_inspire_1394_firewire_audio_interface?full_sku=103943718). It has been my experience that compared to the competition PreSonus offers a better interface for the price. They have been known to have more reliable easy to use drivers, and a cleaner sound. I personally use PreSonus products in my studio for this reason. This item fits all your needs as well. It is compatible with Cakewalk, has a headphone jack, has pre amps to take a passive microphone input, has switchable phantom power for condenser mics, supports 1/4" instrument inputs, and is under $200.00.

----------

So, barring someone here in this forum saying this is bad advice, i'll probably go ahead and get the PreSonus. Anyone here have one they use with Cakewalk? Anyone care to agree or disagree with the advice I got from Guitar Center?

Thanks,
Gary in Vermont

2 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: Advice I got from GuitarCenter.com on which sound card 2006/11/22 09:32:36 (permalink)
    Gary - I have not personally used the presonus equipment, but I have heard good things about them. for your criteria, I would say that the inspire is a very capable unit and will probably suit your needs. I cannot guarentee that it will work with your computer and software...but I have no reason to believe that it won't (just a disclaimer!).

good luck!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Robomusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: Advice I got from GuitarCenter.com on which sound card 2006/11/23 19:28:25 (permalink)
    The Pres in the Presonus are superior to that of the M-Audio stuff and equal to the EMU stuff and the 1212M does not come with any typwe of interface just the plugs on the card, I would go form inpire, or save a few bucks more and get the firebox

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1