Advice on USB MIDI controller?

Author
mrpippy2
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 222
2018/03/12 14:43:32 (permalink)

Advice on USB MIDI controller?

I'm looking to purchase a USB MIDI controller since the mod wheel, pitch bend, and assignable faders have all decided to stop working on my Roland XP30. I have a Yamaha digital piano that I use to trigger Addictive Keys, but I'd like something to control the Rapture and Dim Pro synths that allows me to adjust the filters and whatnot in realtime. I'd like something with a USB out so I wouldn't have to use my MIDI-USB converter anymore. 61 keys is preferable, but I think 49 would be ok. So far I've taken an interest in the Novation Impulse 61 and the M-Audio Code 49. If anyone has any feedback on these or other comparable controllers I'd certainly appreciate it!

Joel

Sweetwater Creation Station 250, QuadCore, i5 3.4 Ghz, 2x1TB HD, 16GB RAM, Windows 10 64 bit, Sonar Platinum 64 bit, Focusrite 2i2

6 Replies Related Threads

whattarush
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 713
    Re: Advice on USB MIDI controller? 2018/03/22 18:02:03 (permalink)
    I'm using the Novation Impulse 61 and I haven't run into any issues with it. It can be configured to integrate directly with SONAR (assuming that's what you're using) or any other DAW. I use it with both SONAR and Studio One 3.

"When your moving in the positive, your destination is the brightest star"!!! www.elmarqrecords.com/ www.reverbnation.com/label/elmarqrecordsllc" www.facebook.com/pages/ElMarq-Records/160103362281 "Never look down on anyone UNLESS you're picking them up!"
    abacab
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4464
    Re: Advice on USB MIDI controller? 2018/03/23 01:31:52 (permalink)
    At this point, if you just need something to control plugin parameters, I would have to say the top choices would be the Akai Advance, or the M-Audio CTRL-49.  I have an Alesis VX-49, which has many of the features of these Akai and M-Audio keyboards, but in a less expensive package. 

The main advantage to these keyboards is the dedicated hardware integration with the Akai VIP software plugin >> http://www.akaipro.com/products/new-products/vip

Here is a list of many other options available today.  I have a Roland A-Pro controller which works well, but it is a bit dated now.  I have also heard good comments about the Nektar Impact line.  So read the reviews, ask questions, try demos at the music stores...

https://www.musicradar.co...oller-keyboards-618207

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
    eikelbijter
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1002
    Re: Advice on USB MIDI controller? 2018/03/23 21:01:16 (permalink)
    DON'T buy an Alesis; they have the worst keybed money can buy, seriously. I've tried MANY, and by far the best for playability is the Korg Taktile series. They're not being made anymore, but you can still find used ones on Ebay or Reverb.

R

Xeon E3-1231V3, 16GB RAM, 480GB 840EVO SSD, MOTU 2480MK3, 424PCI w/ Sonar Platinum
    Dell XPS 18, i5, 12GB RAM, 500GB SSD+128GB SSD, Roland VS-100 w/ Sonar Platinum

Dell XPS 13, i5, 8GB RAM, 256GB 840EVO SSD, Zoom UAC-2, Sonar Platinum

http://www.RicoBelled.com/

abacab
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4464
    Re: Advice on USB MIDI controller? 2018/03/23 21:52:40 (permalink)
    eikelbijter
    DON'T buy an Alesis; they have the worst keybed money can buy, seriously. I've tried MANY, and by far the best for playability is the Korg Taktile series. They're not being made anymore, but you can still find used ones on Ebay or Reverb.

R

Alesis is part of the same inMusic group that sells Akai and M-Audio.  They have several levels of gear and they probably get their keybeds from the same places.

I have an Alesis VX-49 (VIP compatible) and that is a step up from the old M-Audio Axiom-49 I had for years.

I probably wouldn't want to gig with an Alesis, but for home studio users it should work well, and it does fit a lower budget point than the more rugged gear.

I have an old Alesis QS-6 synthesizer, and the keybed on that one is solid as a rock.  But obviously it is no longer the same Alesis company that made that one back in the 90's.  inMusic has bought up a lot of companies and is now trading on the names and trademarks of historically significant music equipment manufacturers. 

Comparison shop carefully and try them out in stores if possible, or at least purchase from a company that allows returns.

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
    Jim Roseberry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re: Advice on USB MIDI controller? 2018/03/25 14:29:58 (permalink)
    mrpippy2
    I'm looking to purchase a USB MIDI controller since the mod wheel, pitch bend, and assignable faders have all decided to stop working on my Roland XP30. I have a Yamaha digital piano that I use to trigger Addictive Keys, but I'd like something to control the Rapture and Dim Pro synths that allows me to adjust the filters and whatnot in realtime. I'd like something with a USB out so I wouldn't have to use my MIDI-USB converter anymore. 61 keys is preferable, but I think 49 would be ok. So far I've taken an interest in the Novation Impulse 61 and the M-Audio Code 49. If anyone has any feedback on these or other comparable controllers I'd certainly appreciate it!

Though not the least expensive option, Native Instrument Komplete Kontrol S-61 (2nd gen version) is one of the best 61-key MIDI controllers that I've seen/played.
    The features are excellent (knobs, buttons, screens, aftertouch, touch-strip, pitch/mod wheels, etc)
    The build quality is almost top-tier "workstation" (not cheap/flimsy).
    Significant improvement over the 1st gen S-61...

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    BassDaddy
    Max Output Level: -33 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4232
    Re: Advice on USB MIDI controller? 2018/04/11 21:53:41 (permalink)
    An Akai Advance 61 is a good one. very solid.

It's Bass, not Bass.
    i7 2700K, 16GB DDR3, 2 SSD sample drives and OS drive, HDD SATAIII for projects, 2 24" monitors
    Focusrite Saffire Pro 24, Focusrite VRM Box, LAVA Lamp, SONAR Platinum 64 bit, Mackie MCU and 1 MCU XT, Akai Advance 49, Windows 10,
    Komplete 9 Ultimate, Cakewalk, Toontrack, IK, AAS, XLN, UVI, Air Music Tech, Waves Factory, Sample Tek and Sonivox VSTi's. Overloud, T-Racks, Audio Damage, D16, Nomad Factory, Waves Gold FX 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1