Advice on a new keyboard, laptop, and soundcards for music studio

Author
Narimsin
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
2012/06/27 12:17:23 (permalink)

Advice on a new keyboard, laptop, and soundcards for music studio

Hi.  I have just purchased sonar and realize that i will need many things for my projects. I am trying to compose liturgical music which would rely heavily on orchestral tracks.

I was looking for advice on the following

what kind of soundcard i would need. My old one is a delta omni 66

I have sonar producer and finale (the paid version)

I will be purchasing a new laptop and am concentrating on ram and hard drive speed. Are there any other details i should be aware of.

I will be using mostly MIDI but i will from time to time use live voices and maybe a live drummer once in a blue moon.

Also i used to own a pair of akg274 headphones (ex-gf took em.....)  are there better ones available on the market now

Lastly the same ex-gf problem left me without my keyboard.  I need to get a new one.  I am a pianist that was both classically and jazz trained so i need the keyboard to be both great for playing out as well as for composing and mixing

I would like to keep everything under 3k if possible but if not i could swing more.

Please let me know what hardware is the most important and if i left anything out. 

Your responses are greatly appreciated and have a wonderful day

6 Replies Related Threads

Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    Re:Advice on a new keyboard, laptop, and soundcards for music studio 2012/06/27 19:30:51 (permalink)
    3k in what money ?

Narimsin
    Re:Advice on a new keyboard, laptop, and soundcards for music studio 2012/06/27 23:59:06 (permalink)
    yes but i have no problem spending more as long as it is for hardware/software that i will need. My goal is to to publish a few books of music.  Thus i need samples of how the pieces will sound. And i do not want to skimp on sample quality.
    post edited by Narimsin - 2012/06/28 00:03:20
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Advice on a new keyboard, laptop, and soundcards for music studio 2012/06/28 13:53:11 (permalink)
    I think Fog was asking about currentcy.  The first time I went to Italy I cashed in dollars and became a millionaire.  Of course, icecream costed 5000 lira so my million wasn't all that much.  3k in dollars won't go as far in euros, and a lot less in Pounds.

Keyboards, esp. for pianists, is a personal choice.  I like fatar keyboards, but I'm a synth player.

As far as an interface, almost any one will do.  Most sound good and have good drivers.  Whether they will work w/ your computer is the big question.  Get the computer first and then be able to return any interface.  Nothing more frustrating than not being able to use your new toys and becoming tech support.  Simply take the interface back, get one from column B and start from scratch. 

Headphones - if you liked the akg get another pair.  The AT m 50s are good and a little cheaper.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Narimsin
    Re:Advice on a new keyboard, laptop, and soundcards for music studio 2012/06/28 21:18:10 (permalink)
    ahh ty.. and it is in US dollars.
    Mystic38
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1622
    Re:Advice on a new keyboard, laptop, and soundcards for music studio 2012/07/06 16:49:42 (permalink)
    given you are classically trained I would suggest to look for a used stage piano..these can comfortably be your midi keyboard controller in addition to providing standalone operation when playing live.. those from Roland and Yamaha both have good keybeds and very acceptable sound.

HPE-580T with i7-950, 8G, 1.5T, ATI6850, Win7/64, Motu 828 III Hybrid, Motu Midi Express, Sonar Platinum, Komplete 9, Ableton Live 9 & Push 2, Melodyne Editor and other stuff, KRK VXT8 Monitors
    Virus Ti2 Polar, Fantom G6, Yamaha S70XS, Novation Nova, Novation Nova II, Korg MS2000, Waldorf Micro Q, NI Maschine Studio, TC-VoiceLive Rack, 2012 Gibson Les Paul Standard, 2001 Gibson Les Paul DC, 1999 Fender Am Hardtail Strat, Fender Blues Jr, Orange TH30/PPC212, Tak EF360GF, one mic, no talent.
    Narimsin
    Re:Advice on a new keyboard, laptop, and soundcards for music studio 2012/07/22 21:39:20 (permalink)
    ty for the reply--i need something that is portable as well.  i was looking at the clavinova 509 but that is far too bulky to carry around. also i plan on using finale as well for writing out the actual music parts.  I just purchased my laptop. the specs are

8gb ram (soon to be 16)
    7200 hd speed
    1tb hd space

what type of soundcard would you recommend. i will be producing mostly midi---but also voice---mostly for choir
    however when i do folk, country. rock, or jazz i will have live instruments.  I just find midi more efficient for classical and cheaper than hiring an orchestra :D

And ty once again for any advice.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1