Helpful ReplyAdvice on where to install VSTs on new computer.

Author
raisindot
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 96
2017/10/19 16:30:36 (permalink)

Advice on where to install VSTs on new computer.

Hi, folks!

I'm getting a new Windows 10 PC--Intel Core I7 with a 256 GB SSD and 1 TB hard drive--that I will use as my Sonar Platinum computer. I'm using a second-gen Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 USB audio interface, and use an Universal Satellite Quad Firewire external audio effects box with a whole buncha plug ins. Hopefully, the new PC will be compatible with the Firewire PCi card I have in my old machine. If not, the whole PC goes back to the store. I also have several Waves plug ins. 

And while I mainly record audio from external sources, I want to start using more softsynths, like Dimension Pro (which I rarely use) and Arturia Keyboard Collection 5 (which I just purchased). 

My main question is about where to install software. I plan on saving all of my project files to the 1 TB hard disk, and I know that I will install all Sonar files on the SSD drive. I would preferably rather store all the softsynth and audio software files on the hard disk, but I'm unclear whether performance of Sonar and all of these add ons will be better if I install all the software on the SSD drive.

I'm not as concerned about "loading speed" as I am about making sure that as much of the system resources as possible will be devoted to running Sonar and keeping the "audio recording path" as unencumbered as possible. 

The PC has 8gig RAM to start with. Eventually I'll bump it up to 16 gig, but I've never had problems using 8 gig in the past, even with large, multi-audio-track CW files. 

Thoughts? Thanks in advance. 

fireberd
Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3704
Re: Advice on where to install VSTs on new computer. 2017/10/19 16:47:14 (permalink)
I have my VST's installed in the default location(s) on my "C" drive (an SSD).  I have my Sonar projects on a 1.5TB "standard" hard drive.  

"GCSG Productions"
Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
ISRC Registered
Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Advice on where to install VSTs on new computer. 2017/10/19 17:10:59 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Starise 2017/10/25 16:35:39
Plug-ins really do not take up much space data does. Data includes the samples used by plug-ins. In most cases, installers provide a way to assign sample folders. That said, from a performance perspective sample location only matters if the plug-in stream samples from disk. The synths bundled with SONAR do not stream samples. All samples are loaded into memory.

A full SONAR Platinum installation easily fits on a 256GB SSD with plenty of room to spare for 3rd party plug-ins and other software. On the other hand, from a performance perspective, it does not matter where the plug-ins go. Keep in mind the VST3 specification calls for plug-ins to be installed in a specific path on the C: drive. SONAR will scan them if they are placed elsewhere but few manufacturers provide the option to change their install path.

If you get into sample based products like BFD3, Superior Drummer 3, Kontakt and the like, you will need more storage.

Finally, if you get in a bind on when it comes to storage, it is fairly painless to relocate data to an alternate location using directory junctions.
raisindot
Re: Advice on where to install VSTs on new computer. 2017/10/25 14:03:23 (permalink)
Thanks, guys!

Got the computer. First thing I noticed when moving the Firewire card is the new computer didn't have any of the old four--pin "yellow/black/red/white" power connectors for connecting hard disks, which is what my Firewire card needs. But the old computer had one of these four-pinners connected with an "L-shaped" other end to one of the old hard disk power cable chains. So I took a chance, took one out, hooked it up to a "free" L-shaped thingamobab on the hard disk power drive chain, and it was justtttttt long enough to attach to the power connector on the Firewire card. And prayed that the computer wouldn't explode.

But, of course, before I could turn it on I had to find out that the new computer doesn't have a VGA monitor output--only HMDI. So I had to go out and get am HDMI-DVI cable (fortunately, my monitor had both kinds of inputs). 

When I did it, mercifully the system recognized the Firewire card and I was able to successful install my UAD-plug ins (and confirmed they were working when I downloaded and installed Sonar Platinum).

Next comes the more challenging stuff--figuring out how to "deactivate" my Waves plug-ins on my old computer so I can reinstall on the new one, and then the final step--downloading drivers and software for my second gen Scarlett USB audio interface (whose burping misbehavior with my old computer is one reason why I upgraded) and hope that it works. 
TheMaartian
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2774
Re: Advice on where to install VSTs on new computer. 2017/10/25 15:10:49 (permalink)
Other parts of the "where to install" question include:

1) ease of managing plugin updates

2) default folders that some plugin installers give you no choice over

3) what to install (both VST2 and VST3, or just VST3 (if both are provided))

4) what to install (both 32- and 64-bit, or just 64-bit)

5) does the installer create an uninstaller

6) as you mention, Waves (Waves, I hate Waves; you go first )

The first one is about how many different folders do you want your VSTs install in to. The fewer the better, from a management perspective.

The second is about some installers appearing to give you a choice of installation folder, and do for the VST2 version, but default to C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON\VST3 (for 64-bit) for the VST3 version.

For the third, I install both since I have some non-DAW apps that don't support VST3. The downside is that some/most apps other than SONAR (which lets you hide duplicate VST2s from the browser) will show you both, often with no indication of which is which.

For the fourth, I've stopped installing the 32-bit versions and have been deleting most of the existing installs.

For the fifth, I got myself in a little trouble deleting something that had an uninstaller, so I like to be aware.

For WAVES, the best/easiest way is to use Waves Central to move all of your licenses on your old PC back to the Waves Cloud. Then run Waves Central on your new PC to install and authorize the ones you own.

So, what do I have for a VST folder structure?

For SONAR only, I make sure the C:\PROGRAM FILES\CAKEWALK\VSTPLUGINS folder is in the scan list.

For everything, I have C:\PROGRAM FILES\VSTPLUGINS for 64-bit VST2 plugins and I stick with the common default of C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON\VST3 for 64-bit VST3 plugins.

I also have Native Instruments Komplete 9 Ultimate. I also let NI do its thing on install, so I need to add C:\PROGRAM FILES\NATIVE INSTRUMENTS\VSTPLUGINS 64 BIT to the scan list.

I suspect that UAD have their own install paths, too.

That's it. I've been able to make that simple structure work. 3 (or 4 for SONAR) folders for VSTs.

That's the easy part. Getting a new DAW up and running smoothly? That's just a little more work. 

Good luck!

Intel i7 3.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB HD Win10 Home 64-bit Tascam US-16x08
Studio One 4 Pro NotionMelodyne 4 Studio Acoustica 7 Guitar Pro 7
PreSonus FaderPort Nektar P6 M-Audio BX8 D2 Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro
NI K9U XLN AK, AD2 AAS VS-2, GS-2, VA-2, EP-4, CP-2, OD Toontrack SD3, EZK
pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: Advice on where to install VSTs on new computer. 2017/10/25 15:19:33 (permalink)
C:\VST32
C:\VST64

just a sec

stickman393
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1528
Re: Advice on where to install VSTs on new computer. 2017/10/26 03:33:50 (permalink)
pwalpwal
C:\VST32
C:\VST64

Hey! Are you me? I came here to write that exact thing.
chuckebaby
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: Advice on where to install VSTs on new computer. 2017/10/26 16:19:30 (permalink)
I always create a new directory in C:\ProgramFiles86\Cakewalk and call it- VSTPlugins32
This is where I install all my 3rd party 32 bit plug ins.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Cakewalk\VstPlugins is the default location for Cakewalk's 32 bit plug ins: Cakewalk Sound Center, CA2A, LP EQ and LP MB.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

Shambler
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 783
Re: Advice on where to install VSTs on new computer. 2017/10/27 10:35:58 (permalink)
I use the default location for 64 Bit VST 2 and 3.

32 bit VST get installed to a folder called 'Rubbish' on the desktop and are then deleted :)

SONAR Platypus on Win10 64bit.
Studio One Pro / Cubase Pro 9.5...just in case.
8GB i7-2600 3.4GHz Gigabyte  Z68XP-UD3P
Geforce GTX970
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd Gen
Prophet 12/Rev 2/Virus Snow
Zebra2/DIVA/NI Komplete 10
raisindot
Re: Advice on where to install VSTs on new computer. 2017/10/30 13:39:51 (permalink)
Well, I was able to figure out the stupid Waves thing (what a pain), so the licenses were 'turned off" on the old computer and are now "on" the new computer. 

I did try to only install 64-bit versions of VSTs when I had the option, but sometimes the program just did what it wanted to directories it wanted. So I'm just going the path of least resistance and adding directories to the "Find VSTs" folder list. 

Of course, since it's been years since I've set up a new computer I started to panic when none of my old Cakewalk projects would play through the Focusrite. Fortunately, a couple of brain cells did fire enough to make me realize I needed to look at the Focusrite sound driver settings to switch to Windows to ASIO.

So far, now that this is done, seems okay. Projects that were "hiccuping" and popping on my old computer seem to be playing flawlessly (so far)  on the new PC. The next step will to be actually record some audio onto this and see what happens when I start overloading everything with audio plugins....
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1