A-frame keybaord stands

Author
jackn2mpu
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2765
2008/12/21 07:42:35 (permalink)

A-frame keybaord stands

Ultimate Support no longer makes them, and I think they were the only one who did, but I may be wrong.
Found nothing on eBay, not that I would ever buy from there, but I looked there anyways.
I'm talking about the old-fashioned a-frame keyboard stands of years past. I need to go with multiple tiers in my studio setup and would rather not get into carpentry or metalwork to build my own stand. I used to have an older setup with a 48" wide Ultimate Support Systems a-frame with multiple tiers and a side support half tier for my laptop computer. Sold that off many years ago. It wouldn't have accomodated my Motif 7 anyway as it's wider than 48". I would need a 60" wide stand which I know USS used to make. They no longer list anything of the sort on their website. Anybody know of a stash somewhere?
I don't like the newer stands as they're not really all that sturdy especially for a large keyboard like a Mo7. I know, I know, the groups that tour use the single column stands a lot, but then you never see them really get into playing with any emotion. And if you do, you see the 'boards really wobble. And multiple tiers? That's even more unstable. I want something I can pound on day-after-day in the studio and not have to worry about it crashing down. I want something that I don't have to worry if I brush into it walking past things will come tumbling down like Humpty-Dumpty.

Jack
Qapla!

16 Replies Related Threads

krizrox
    Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4046
    RE: A-frame keybaord stands 2008/12/21 10:43:47 (permalink)
    I have one of those large Ultimate A Frame keyboard stands here in my studio. Too bad they don't make them anymore. I remember having a hard time finding one even back in 2002 when I bought it. I had to special order it from some on-line retailer. I agree almost everything else pales in comparison. Too flimsy. Sorry - don't have a stash or know where else to go. Good luck finding one. Keep checking eBay. That might be your best bet.
    post edited by krizrox - 2008/12/21 10:44:30

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com
    www.myspace.com/lnlrecording

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
    garrigus
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8599
    RE: A-frame keybaord stands 2008/12/21 10:46:23 (permalink)
    Do you mean something like this...

* On-Stage A-Frame Multi-Tier Keyboard Stands

Scott

--
    Scott R. Garrigus - Author of the Cakewalk Sonar and Sony Sound Forge Power book series. Get Sonar 8 Power - Today! Go to: http://www.garrigus.com/ - http://www.musictechshop.com/ - http://www.cooltechshop.com/

Publisher of DigiFreq - free music technology newsletter. Win a free SoundTech Vocal Trainer Package, go to: http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/

Publisher of NewTechReview - free consumer technology newsletter. Win a free i2i Stream Wireless Music Pack, go to: http://www.newtechreview.com/newtechreview/
    jackn2mpu
    RE: A-frame keybaord stands 2008/12/24 18:57:38 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: garrigus

Scott

Close but not quite what I need. There is conflicting info on OnStage's site - the downloadable pdf for the stands says they are wide enough for a 76 key keyboard, and the keyboard stand product brochure on their site says the a-frame stands are only 48" wide which is not enough for my Motif 7 which is a 76 key piece. Also, they don't have the add-on pieces like the half tiers (single arm setups that attach to one upright and can be used for things like a computer, mixers, etc.
    Oh well, the search continues. Thanks for the info though. BTW, just ordered your Sonar 8 book - hope it's as good as the others you've written. They've saved my bacon more than once.
    Merry Christmas and Happy Hannukah to all.

Jack
    Qapla!
    Ron Vogel
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1074
    RE: A-frame keybaord stands 2008/12/24 19:17:41 (permalink)
    If you were closer, I'd just make you one...

I've been thinking of changing my focus on automotive fabrication to making custom stage gear anyway!

I'm stuck in the past, but my foot's tapping forward 
    Ron Vogel Soundclick page
    garrigus
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8599
    RE: A-frame keybaord stands 2008/12/24 19:25:40 (permalink)
    Hi Jack,

Sorry that stand wasn't what you needed. I'll keep an eye out...

In the meantime, thanks for purchasing my book! I hope you enjoy it.

Happy Holidays!
    Scott

--
    Scott R. Garrigus - Author of the Cakewalk Sonar and Sony Sound Forge Power book series. Get Sonar 8 Power - Today! Go to: http://www.garrigus.com/ - http://www.musictechshop.com/ - http://www.cooltechshop.com/

Publisher of DigiFreq - free music technology newsletter. Win a free SoundTech Vocal Trainer Package, go to: http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/

Publisher of NewTechReview - free consumer technology newsletter. Win a free i2i Stream Wireless Music Pack, go to: http://www.newtechreview.com/newtechreview/
    tfbattag
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 422
    RE: A-frame keybaord stands 2008/12/24 19:52:11 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jackn2mpu

ORIGINAL: garrigus

Scott

Close but not quite what I need. There is conflicting info on OnStage's site - the downloadable pdf for the stands says they are wide enough for a 76 key keyboard, and the keyboard stand product brochure on their site says the a-frame stands are only 48" wide which is not enough for my Motif 7 which is a 76 key piece. Also, they don't have the add-on pieces like the half tiers (single arm setups that attach to one upright and can be used for things like a computer, mixers, etc.
    Oh well, the search continues. Thanks for the info though. BTW, just ordered your Sonar 8 book - hope it's as good as the others you've written. They've saved my bacon more than once.
    Merry Christmas and Happy Hannukah to all.

Not meaning to be a smart a$$, but couldn't you put the wider keyboard on the top tier and let it extend over the ends? Or, if you got this stand, you would have the important hardware pieces, and it would certainly be easy enough to buy 60" pieces of aluminum tubing in the right diameter. You could get them from someone like Gibraltar (drum racks) or NRS (raft frames.).

Good Luck

Thomas Battaglia
    :wq!
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Intel DP35DP, Q6600, 6GB RAM, Win7Pro x64; RME HDSPe RayDAT; RME ADI8-DS x2, RME ADI-2.
    jackn2mpu
    RE: A-frame keybaord stands 2008/12/25 08:20:13 (permalink)

Not meaning to be a smart a$$, but couldn't you put the wider keyboard on the top tier and let it extend over the ends? Or, if you got this stand, you would have the important hardware pieces, and it would certainly be easy enough to buy 60" pieces of aluminum tubing in the right diameter. You could get them from someone like Gibraltar (drum racks) or NRS (raft frames.).

Good Luck

Don't think I hadn't thought about that first statement before. Problem with these type of racks is I would have to have the keyboard tilted up to an unplayable angle (almost vertical), not too mention even keeping the keyboard in place and not falling off the rack. Can't bolt a keyboard down.
    Good idea on your second thought. I would still need extra support bars and clamps for the half-tiers for the computer and music scores.

Merry Christmas and Happy Hannukah to all!

Jack
    Qapla!
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    RE: A-frame keybaord stands 2008/12/25 15:24:45 (permalink)
    I've been thinking of changing my focus on automotive fabrication to making custom stage gear anyway!

Ron, that's not a bad idea if you've got the equipment. You could build to order and wouldn't need to inventory a lot of stock.

These Apex single-column stands everybody's using now are crap, and are popular solely because they fold up into themselves for transport. That, and they look kinda cool. But if somebody were to come up with a sturdier design that could also fold up, I'd buy one!

I dragged around A-frame stands for years and use an X-style stand now. Both are a hassle to fit into a van. I've actually made vehicle purchases based on the width of the cargo door, so as to accommodate the keyboard stand.

The first stand I bought was around 1978. It was the first stand I'd ever seen, and it was meant to be a display rack for music stores. It was heavy and required tools to assemble, but I bought it immediately. The salesman was taken by surprise when I asked how much for the stand - it wasn't even intended for resale. But he sold it to me for $130 after first checking to make sure he could get another one. A lot of players came up and asked me where I got it. Something like that might be a solution for the OP.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    krizrox
    Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4046
    RE: A-frame keybaord stands 2008/12/25 21:34:58 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bitflipper

I dragged around A-frame stands for years and use an X-style stand now. Both are a hassle to fit into a van.

I wouldn't want to have to move this Ultimate A-frame stand on a regular basis. It's not designed for rapid set up and tear down. The one I have is a permanent fixture here in my studio. I suppose that's maybe why they stopped making them.

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com
    www.myspace.com/lnlrecording

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
    Ron Vogel
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1074
    RE: A-frame keybaord stands 2008/12/25 23:46:23 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bitflipper

Ron, that's not a bad idea if you've got the equipment. You could build to order and wouldn't need to inventory a lot of stock.

These Apex single-column stands everybody's using now are crap, and are popular solely because they fold up into themselves for transport. That, and they look kinda cool. But if somebody were to come up with a sturdier design that could also fold up, I'd buy one!

I dragged around A-frame stands for years and use an X-style stand now. Both are a hassle to fit into a van. I've actually made vehicle purchases based on the width of the cargo door, so as to accommodate the keyboard stand.

The first stand I bought was around 1978. It was the first stand I'd ever seen, and it was meant to be a display rack for music stores. It was heavy and required tools to assemble, but I bought it immediately. The salesman was taken by surprise when I asked how much for the stand - it wasn't even intended for resale. But he sold it to me for $130 after first checking to make sure he could get another one. A lot of players came up and asked me where I got it. Something like that might be a solution for the OP.

My day jobs have never brought in enough income; since I was already involved in club racing it morphed into custom parts...then small scale manufacturing of custom fabricated suspension parts. I can do all the design, welding, powdercoating...so yeah I have amassed some equipment!

If my stuff can survive hard launches on slicks with over 800 horsepower....well holding up to musicians should be no big deal. I remember gigging, and even having racking for the van would be a big help! Only issues I see is there is so much different types of equipment, there would have to be a lot of custom order stuff.

I like working with metal...it's very therapeudic.

I'm stuck in the past, but my foot's tapping forward 
    Ron Vogel Soundclick page
    jackn2mpu
    RE: A-frame keybaord stands 2008/12/26 07:54:54 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Ron Vogel

My day jobs have never brought in enough income; since I was already involved in club racing it morphed into custom parts...then small scale manufacturing of custom fabricated suspension parts. I can do all the design, welding, powdercoating...so yeah I have amassed some equipment!

If my stuff can survive hard launches on slicks with over 800 horsepower....well holding up to musicians should be no big deal. I remember gigging, and even having racking for the van would be a big help! Only issues I see is there is so much different types of equipment, there would have to be a lot of custom order stuff.

I like working with metal...it's very therapeudic.

There's boutique guitar amp guys that do small scale custom stuff (think Dumble) - why not do the same for keyboard players? It's a shame that most of the stuff out there is for gigging musicians and not studio rats, save for the wood console pieces. It would be great if really sturdy support systems were made. I just wish the machinery I have for my model train work worked on a larger scale (pardon the pun). HO scale is as big as I go.

Jack
    Qapla!
    rodreb
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: A-frame keybaord stands 2008/12/26 10:20:08 (permalink)
    I have a Standtastic that I used to use on stage back when I still played out. It's solid as a rock and, due to it's design, can basically be adjusted to be as wide as you need. And really, it is SOLID, no bounce at all. Mine is the extended length, double tier but you can buy another set of arms to make them triple tier if needed.

Here's a link to them at GC , check them out.......

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Standtastic-102-KSB-60-Inch-Double-Tier-Keyboard-Stand-with-Deluxe-Bag-702312-i1173858.gc

ROD

Imaginary Friend Recording 
    https://www.facebook.com/ifrecording?skip_nax_wizard=true

Dell XPS, i7 8700 (6 core), 16 gb 2666 RAM, two 2 Tb 7200 RPM HDD's, Windows 10 Home, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 & Octapre

henkejs
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 489
    RE: A-frame keybaord stands 2008/12/26 10:54:18 (permalink)
    I've got a two-tier Ultimate Support stand sitting in its original carry bag in my basement. I was going to list it on ebay, but the local UPS store told me it would cost a small fortune to ship the darn thing (too long). Considering the reasonable prices for the newer style stands these days, I didn't think anyone would pay much for one like this so I didn't bother listing it.

Would this stand be useful to you? Maybe you could find the extra little shelf attachments somewhere else or have some made. Let me know if you're interested, and I'm sure we can work out a reasonable price.

John

A few of my songs

SONAR Platinum, Cakewalk by BandLab, Windows 10, Focusrite Scarlett 6i6.
    jackn2mpu
    RE: A-frame keybaord stands 2008/12/26 12:48:47 (permalink)
    Let me take care of 2 posts in one of mine:
    Rod:
    Thanks for the info, but upon further review, as they say in the NFL, it wouldn't really work for me.
    John:
    Do you have the 48' or the 60'? Just checked at the UPS site and if it's the 60", considering packaging and all, to ship UPS ground from Washington state to NJ would be around $55 give or take a little. That's assuming a weight of 30 pounds, and a packaging size of 60x12x12 inches.

I sent an email to Ultimate Support this morning asking if they have anything hiding in the nooks and crannies of their warehouse. They might be well closed for the holidays. I've waited this long, I can hang on for a few more days.

Jack
    Qapla!
    henkejs
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 489
    RE: A-frame keybaord stands 2008/12/26 13:22:03 (permalink)
    Sorry, Jack, I should have checked on this before I got your hopes up. Mine is the 48" stand -- not wide enough for your Motif 7. Hope you find something that will work for you.

John

A few of my songs

SONAR Platinum, Cakewalk by BandLab, Windows 10, Focusrite Scarlett 6i6.
    motc
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: RE: A-frame keybaord stands 2014/09/07 16:31:44 (permalink)
    John, I found this discussion which seems to have ceased almost 6 years ago.  If you happen to still have the 48" stand and are willing to part with it please let me know.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1