Helpful ReplyAfter how long... has Sonar been KaaaPuutZzz? Anyone going with ProTools?

Author
Unknowen
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1276
2018/01/08 22:16:04 (permalink)

After how long... has Sonar been KaaaPuutZzz? Anyone going with ProTools?

Well after how ever long it's been, just a blur to me and this whole thing stinks!
I'm staying with Sonar as my main DAW and I hope someone picks it up!

But I'm also falling into Pro Tools as my backup DAW. I have tried most all of the others and it makes no sense for me to learn another DAW unless it's for a real reason like mixing and mastering others and maybe make it easier to find others to work with. 
I have spent only a few hours with PT so far but I like that I can work with OMF file between Sonar and PT. and all of the plugins that I own work just fine. I still haven't recorded yet....

Is anyone else going to ProTools. 

Hay look,
Somethings are not locked in stone... lol 3/18/2019
Cactus Music
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: After how long... has Sonar been KaaaPuutZzz? Anyone going with ProTools? 2018/01/09 06:38:37 (permalink)
It's funny, because the answer would almost appear to be no. PT is expensive compaired to most of the others. It makes no real sense unless you really have to have it to get customers. But that's a sad reason to choose a DAW. 
I have a few friends who went with Pro tools for the same reason people buy Gibson and Fender guitars without looking at alternitives. They both have way more money than I do. The one guy has well over $10,000 in his rig. It's nice but so far I havn't heard anything good come out the other end. He might as well have a Fostex 4 track. 
There's also someone around here who used to use Pro Tools for years now but just swicthed to Cubase. He said Pro Tools is just too expensive to maintain and he's not doin enough recording to justify that. He really likes Cubase and said it does more than he thought it would.
Pro tool users all think the other DAWs are inferior I guess.  
A few of the Mac people around here like Logic the best. 

Anyway's Pro Tools is probably what you call a good investment if your a busy studio. And I'm sure it works as good as any other DAW. It's not a DAW for Hobbiest unless your are a retired Dentist. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Frank Harvey
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 214
Re: After how long... has Sonar been KaaaPuutZzz? Anyone going with ProTools? 2018/01/09 08:11:29 (permalink)
Cactus Music
It's funny, because the answer .............Anyway's Pro Tools is probably what you call a good investment if your a busy studio. And I'm sure it works as good as any other DAW. It's not a DAW for Hobbiest unless your are a retired Dentist. 

Cracked me up ..... Full Marks
35mm
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1105
Re: After how long... has Sonar been KaaaPuutZzz? Anyone going with ProTools? 2018/01/09 11:35:38 (permalink)
My experience of Pro Fools is that you only use it if/when you really, really have to. The general public are under the illusion that Pro Fools is the best because it's the industry standard - which means just that - it's standard, mediocre, nothing special. Just like Yamaha NS10 Ms used to be the industry standard nearfield monitor found in every studio because they were a good reference for the average cr*p speakers home audiences were listening to at the time - the same principle as checking a mix on iPhone earbuds nowadays.

Outside the industry and the standard, the best DAW is the one that you can be most productive with and produce the best results with. That means a DAW that has the capabilities you need, a workflow that suits you and doesn't get in your way or block your creativity or prevent you from doing what you want. The only way to find that is to try out lots of demos then when you find the best fit, commit to it, learn it and use it.

Splat, Win 10 64bit and all sorts of musical odds and sods collected over the years, but still missing a lot of my old analogue stuff I sold off years ago.
burgerproduction
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 209
Re: After how long... has Sonar been KaaaPuutZzz? Anyone going with ProTools? 2018/01/09 11:53:05 (permalink)
I downloaded the demo of PT, fired it up, messed about a bit and then uninstalled it. Didn't like it one bit. And I hate the iLok thing. I can't get it off my computer anymore.
I used to work in a studio that used Pro Tools for V/O work, so I'm quite familiar with its workings. I agree that the only reason to use it would be if you have clients who need you to use it. Hobbiests have so many other cheaper options.

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Sonar Platinum Lifetimer, Windows 10, HP Laptop, CPU i5, RAM 8GB. Audio interface: Edirol FA-101 Firewire interface with moded drivers. Microphones: Audio-Technica, M-Audio, Behringer, AKG. Pianos: Casio digital, Yamaha B1 upright.  Guitars: Dobro, Tanglewood, Danelectro, Fender. Hats: Fez
Check out my music :
https://53mph.bandcamp.com/album/like-water-to-the-sand

Unknowen
Re: After how long... has Sonar been KaaaPuutZzz? Anyone going with ProTools? 2018/01/09 12:08:17 (permalink)
Thanks folks.. I'm lost again! lol
I ran into a few ProFools problems last night... it a pile of DooDoo!!

Hay look,
Unknowen
Re: After how long... has Sonar been KaaaPuutZzz? Anyone going with ProTools? 2018/01/09 12:42:14 (permalink)
burgerproduction
I downloaded the demo of PT, fired it up, messed about a bit and then uninstalled it. Didn't like it one bit. And I hate the iLok thing. I can't get it off my computer anymore.
I used to work in a studio that used Pro Tools for V/O work, so I'm quite familiar with its workings. I agree that the only reason to use it would be if you have clients who need you to use it. Hobbiests have so many other cheaper options.

the iLoc was a selling point for me as I have to drag around a usb hub with my iLoc and Waves usbdrive license anyway... what a mess... all I wanted to do was record some demos... I'm way beyond that now. 
and really... proFools for $600. OR a nice preamp??? hum?

peace!

Hay look,
GIM Productions
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 860
Re: After how long... has Sonar been KaaaPuutZzz? Anyone going with ProTools? 2018/01/09 12:53:53 (permalink)
Sorry maybe i'm rude.....Sonar is the best daw on the market,for me,i hate Protools, like Apple...musicians love liberty

Intel i7 3600,Asus Z170P,16 GIG Corsair ram,Focusrite Saffire Pro 26 i\o,Nektar Impact LX 49,Focusrite Liquid Mix,Monitors ADAM-K&H,Sonar Platinum
Windows 10 SP1
Producer....more stuff in SStudio, Rome ,Italy.
Unknowen
Re: After how long... has Sonar been KaaaPuutZzz? Anyone going with ProTools? 2018/01/09 13:29:13 (permalink)
GIM Productions
Sorry maybe i'm rude.....Sonar is the best daw on the market,for me,i hate Protools, like Apple...musicians love liberty

But Sonar is NOT on the market... :(

Hay look,
sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: After how long... has Sonar been KaaaPuutZzz? Anyone going with ProTools? 2018/01/09 16:10:43 (permalink)
I honestly had no problem with the workflow of ProTools and quite liked it. It's interface felt snappy and it's meat and potatoes functionality felt very solid, in fact more solid than Sonar for sure (didn't come across half the weirdness/quirks I experience in Sonar). Stuff like clip editing, arranging, mixing - all very reliable. The main reason I ditched it was because it was 32 bit at the time and so it had trouble with all the synths and sample libraries I was using. I ended up having to host the synths in Reaper and ReWire them into ProTools. And that led me to thinking I should choose another DAW, hence Sonar. I think its bad rap is unjustified - yes it's overrated, but it's still a very solid DAW.

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
anydmusic
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 251
Re: After how long... has Sonar been KaaaPuutZzz? Anyone going with ProTools? 2018/01/09 16:21:49 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby 11Dreams 2018/01/09 20:48:18
sharke
...  I think its bad rap is unjustified - yes it's overrated, but it's still a very solid DAW.

Seems to me that this statement is true about every DAW that has been discussed, they all have their fans, they all have there detractors but they are all capable of doing what most of us need.

Graham
Windows 10 64 bit - Intel i7-4790, 16GB, 2 x 256GB SSD
Cubase 9.5
Sonar Platinum (Rapture Pro, Z3TA 2, CA2A, plus some other bits)
Delta 24/96, UAD 1, UA25 EX, 2 x MidiSport,
IKMultiMedia - (SampleTank 3, Miroslav 2, Syntronik, TRacks 5, Modo Bass), Band In A Box, Sound Quest, VS Pro, Kinetic, Acid, Sound Forge, Jammer
Waves MaxxVolume, IR 1, Aphex Enhancer, Abbey Plates
Korg Legacy, VStation, Bass Station
AT
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re: After how long... has Sonar been KaaaPuutZzz? Anyone going with ProTools? 2018/01/09 16:41:31 (permalink)
Most commercial recordings go through ProTools at some point - as remarked above - it is the standard.  If you are working with pro facilities you'll need to use PT or know how to work your DAW of choice with PT.  So PT must be doing something right - or at least not wrong.  Back in the dark ages of the 20th century computers could not run audio.  Midi - fine.  Audio - Ha!  Until a little company in the 90s came up with an accelerator card, DSP, that would plug into a mac and allow you to capture, edit and output the audio recording.  Later the card was upgraded to 8 ADDAs and more power (plus w/ the growing native power) to actually edit across multiple tracks.  As computer power grew in the new millennium, the now ProTools was the only DAW w/ the extra DSP to do calculations on audio in real time - with no latency when recording.  And then combined with the deep pockets and expertise of AVID (DSP video editing software/hardware combination) Protools captured most of the professional market, just as AVID did with the pro video market.

There are plenty of programs outside of AVID and Protools for doing music and video, whether SONAR or Vegas or garage band etc. So if you want a job in a commercial studio you should learn protools.  If you want to use what you want but take material in to a commercial facility you need to do the work of compatibility.  Just don't think Protools is the best (tho it is right up there for audio editing) and hence flawless.  And for PT to work at its best, you need the PT hardware.  And that is expensive and makes whining about software updates cheap.  An owner at a local studio last year or so was complaining about having to update his apple OS - but if he did he'd have to lay out $10K to PT for new hardware to have the same capabilities as on his old OS.

abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: After how long... has Sonar been KaaaPuutZzz? Anyone going with ProTools? 2018/01/09 20:13:41 (permalink)
Cactus Music

It's not a DAW for Hobbiest unless your are a retired Dentist. 

I had to ROTFL on that line!!!  Thanks for the laugh! 

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
Unknowen
Re: After how long... has Sonar been KaaaPuutZzz? Anyone going with ProTools? 2018/01/09 20:47:08 (permalink)
sharke
I honestly had no problem with the workflow of ProTools and quite liked it. It's interface felt snappy and it's meat and potatoes functionality felt very solid, in fact more solid than Sonar for sure (didn't come across half the weirdness/quirks I experience in Sonar). Stuff like clip editing, arranging, mixing - all very reliable. The main reason I ditched it was because it was 32 bit at the time and so it had trouble with all the synths and sample libraries I was using. I ended up having to host the synths in Reaper and ReWire them into ProTools. And that led me to thinking I should choose another DAW, hence Sonar. I think its bad rap is unjustified - yes it's overrated, but it's still a very solid DAW.

Thanks for the input. I recorded some test tracks on my creation Station today, seemed smooth.
But mixing on my laptop, AD2 and 3 Wave's plugins and the CPU is clipping... PT has NO core balance!!!
only one out 4 is really doing everything. At the ProTools forum when I am using my Cakewalk (Niceguy) approach. Core balancing is a ProTools issue. That hurts! what's the point of have all the cores on earth and they are not working... I have nowhere near the ram requirements, that's a ways off... but no rush of leaving MY DAW Sonar Splat! 

Hay look,
GMGM
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 494
Re: After how long... has Sonar been KaaaPuutZzz? Anyone going with ProTools? 2018/01/10 15:23:55 (permalink)
After some trial and error with a handful of DAWs, I ended up buying Pro Tools 12 (non-HD version) a couple weeks ago (was 20% off of $300 at Sweetwater/Avid around Christmas).

I dislike the arbitrary track limits (128 max tracks). I also dislike the iLok.

But I really like the edit/selection tools. I primarily work with audio files, so this is ultimately more important for me.The included plugins are great, although I tend to use 3rd party plugs a lot.

Track counts aren't really an issue for me, except that I always liked to save my various un-used takes in separate tracks (archived within a session file for quick and easy access if I needed something).

I like PT so far. The pricing for the non-HD software isn't all that bad. It's normally $300 for your first year, with $100 annual subscription after that. If I renew next year, I imagine there will be similar discounts and promotions. It's doubtful that I'll ever buy into PT-HD, but I don't think I'll ever need it. 

I intend to use Sonar for as long as it will have me. But I don't want to sit around waiting for it to fail. Maybe it will, maybe it won't - I hope it doesn't.

DAW: SONAR Platinum
PC: i7-2600 @ 3.40GHz, ASUS Motherboard, 16G RAM
OS: Windows 10 Home 64-bit I/O: MOTU 8M / MOTU 8PRE / PreSonus DigimaxLT / M-Audio Oxygen 49
mikedocy
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1157
Re: After how long... has Sonar been KaaaPuutZzz? Anyone going with ProTools? 2018/01/10 17:32:21 (permalink)
GMGM 
Track counts aren't really an issue for me, except that I always liked to save my various un-used takes in separate tracks (archived within a session file for quick and easy access if I needed something).

In ProTools you don't need to save your unused takes in separate tracks...
That's what "Playlists" are for. Each track can have a Playlist of as many tracks as you want and you can freely interchange them with your active track or comp with them.

GMGM
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 494
Re: After how long... has Sonar been KaaaPuutZzz? Anyone going with ProTools? 2018/01/10 18:16:39 (permalink)
mikedocy
GMGM 

In ProTools you don't need to save your unused takes in separate tracks...
That's what "Playlists" are for. Each track can have a Playlist of as many tracks as you want and you can freely interchange them with your active track or comp with them.

I know. I'm just stubborn. I just don't trust myself to keep track of those "hidden" files if they aren't right there in the session with me (visible as their own tracks). 

In Sonar, it is very easy to 'archive' a track and drag it up into a "folder" with all of my other unused tracks - and I just prefer to do that. I never really delete anything in a session until it's "done". I also know it is horribly inefficient, and that I'm just hoarding tracks.

I've never adapted to the current crop of comping tools, or take lanes. I just don't like it. For me, one take = one track. If I need a second pass at something, I'll record to a new track.

The only time I use the comping / take lanes tools is when I'm stacking vocal harmonies. I'll set up my loop recording for one line or verse or chorus at a time. Then I'll hit record and run out to the booth, stacking harmonies as needed. But then I'll explode those takes into separate tracks - and weed through them that way. (Don't laugh, I realize how dumb that sounds considering how easy the comp tools are with Sonar/Logic/PT).

DAW: SONAR Platinum
PC: i7-2600 @ 3.40GHz, ASUS Motherboard, 16G RAM
OS: Windows 10 Home 64-bit I/O: MOTU 8M / MOTU 8PRE / PreSonus DigimaxLT / M-Audio Oxygen 49
keimurr11
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7
Re: After how long... has Sonar been KaaaPuutZzz? Anyone going with ProTools? 2018/01/10 18:26:21 (permalink)
Great music nice sound.

keimurr11
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7
Re: After how long... has Sonar been KaaaPuutZzz? Anyone going with ProTools? 2018/01/10 18:28:47 (permalink)
what DAW is the clossest to sonar??

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1