Aftertouch problem w/ Axiom 61 & Dim Pro

Author
superdan54
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 526
2006/10/31 10:04:49 (permalink)

Aftertouch problem w/ Axiom 61 & Dim Pro

Hi all,

I'm sure this is more of a hardware problem than Dim Pro. Anyway, I have an Axiom 61 controller that I'm having issues getting aftertouch (or any other RPN messages) to work with Dimension Pro. I guess I really don't know where to start. The Axiom comes with an Enigma software that allows you to program the keyboard and store unlimited presets on your computer. But I'm not sure how to get Dimension Pro to recognize the messages. The mod & pitch wheel both work, but it'd be nice to make use of all those neat little sliders & knobs, and especially the assignable aftertouch!

I'm testing using the sax samples, which I know have channel aftertouch assigned to them. If someone could point me in the right direction, I would be much appreciated. Thanks!

4 Replies Related Threads

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Aftertouch problem w/ Axiom 61 & Dim Pro 2006/10/31 10:30:21 (permalink)
    The Axiom/Enigma setup is confusing, because it treats mono aftertouch as if it were an RPN, which it isn't. There's a few things that could be the cause of what you're seeing. If I'm not mistaken, the Axiom can control the 'curve" of keyboard aftertouch, set the high/low limits, and (I believe) even disable it. If you have the ability to load MIDI FX in your host, try this MIDI Monitor at TenCrazy: MFX PortDiag. It'll show you in plain English whether the KB is configured correctly to transmit aftertouch, and the range of the messages (maximum 0-127).

The Axiom pressure pads will also send aftertouch, so there's an alternate route for diagnosis. Here's two more: Right-click on one of the knobs in Dimension (Pro 1.2), and select MIDI Learn. Give enough pressure on a key to lock in aftertouch. Right-click on the knob again, and you'll see channel aftertouch selected. Keyboard pressure should move the GUI knob.

Or: in any patch, configure a MIDI Matrix slot to the following:
    Channel Aftertouch -> Pitch 1 -> 1200 -> 0.0
    If full pressure on your keyboard shifts the samples up a full octave, you're transmitting correctly at maximum depth.
    madratter
    • Total Posts : 523
    RE: Aftertouch problem w/ Axiom 61 & Dim Pro 2006/10/31 10:38:56 (permalink)
    What are you using for you host? Sonar filters channel aftertouch by default. Have you gotten the aftertouch to work with other VSTis?
    superdan54
    • Total Posts : 526
    RE: Aftertouch problem w/ Axiom 61 & Dim Pro 2006/10/31 11:02:12 (permalink)
    Thanks b rock!

I use SONAR Home Studio 4 XL, so I should be able to use these apps. Very cool!

On a separate note, the transport controls on the Axiom seem to be setup to transmit MMC. Unfortunately, HS4 doesn't recognize MMC (or so I think). I was able once to set up the Axiom as a control surface, however I haven't been able to since and even when I did, it prevented any other MIDI from being transmitted (i.e. I could press play, but no keys would send data) Is there any workaround to this or do I just need to save up for SONAR 6?

Thanks again!

Sonar filters channel aftertouch by default. Have you gotten the aftertouch to work with other VSTis?

Pardon the ignorance, but does filtering the aftertouch it mean it should automatically work in a plug and play sense? Dim Pro is the only Synth I have that I know uses aftertouch, so it was my guinea, but no I haven't gotten it to work on anything.
    post edited by superdan54 - 2006/10/31 11:23:11
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Aftertouch problem w/ Axiom 61 & Dim Pro 2006/10/31 12:00:22 (permalink)
    HS4 doesn't recognize MMC
    I'm not sure either way. I use multiple host apps, and some do MMC; some don't. So I'll suggest my own solution: re-assign the transport controls at the controller itself to something else. I happened to do NRPNs, but that can get quite involved. Perhaps you can use that block of CC messages from, say, 85-90. It can be most any CC number, but there's many that will be commonly used for another purpose.

The Generic Surface setup can be a little tricky at best. I haven't touched it in a while; I'm using Mackie Control for a Yamaha surface. I do remember having sysex-type transport problems, but not the dropped notes like you've reported. Try setting up some alternate CC messages in Enigma drag'n'drop, and see if that helps any.
    filtering the aftertouch it mean it should automatically work in a plug and play sense?
    I'll step in for MR here. Filtering (in this case) means that a particular message is blocked before it gets to your track. Check for something under Options in HS. It'd be a Global MIDI setting, and an unchecked channel aftertouch setting means that it's blocked from recording/playback. (Also, not to be confused with key aftertouch; something else entirely.)
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1