Agnus Dei 2.0

Author
metaprog
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 551
2005/08/11 04:35:09 (permalink)

Agnus Dei 2.0

Here my new version of this piece: Agnus Dei, Version 2

A completely new recording, although I kept most of the original tune. I had to do some tinkering to adjust to proper ecclesiastical Latin pronunciation, plus I added a short down-tempo section in English at the end. (Hey, I'm getting closer to prog - kept the 4/4, but the tempo change counts for something, doesn't it?)

As with my previous post regarding this piece (not really a song, but a movement in a larger project), I'm largely interested in hearing whether listeners think it "works." It's a bit unusual - a semi-Gregorian chant laid over rock music (with 245 bpm drums), and then changing gears (88 bpm) for a sort of eerie soft-rock ending. (I'm trying to capture the mood of how the disciples must have felt after Jesus died.)

DAW: Studiocat Core2Duo, Asus P5K mobo, 4GB 1066Mhz WinXP2 > Sonar 5.2 PE > Lynx 1 > VXP/GT Brick
Mics: GT-66 / Guitars: Carvin DC400, Brian Moore i21.13, Ibanez JS1000, Morris W616, Rodriguez A, Takamine EG523SC-12, Peavey Fury bass

4 Replies Related Threads

hornplayer
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1024
    RE: Agnus Dei 2.0 2005/08/12 03:52:40 (permalink)
    It's an interesting idea, and I think it is close to working. You are communicating the mood well enough. I like stuff that is different, and this is certainly that!

However, the rock "bed" under the chant sounds a bit too frantic for me. And, I'm wondering if you can do something a little more riff-oriented, rather than just strumming--the strumming gets a bit monotonous for me. I'd also like to hear a bass line anchor things.

As an aside, I just thought I'd mention that I visited your web site, which I found interesting. Although I don't go to a Reformed church, I've read quite a bit of those who place themselves in, or near, that camp (e.g., Rushdoony, Chilton, North, Gentry, Bahnsen, Sutton). Actually, one of the teachers at my kids' school is an editor for Rushdoony.

Well, nice hearing from you.

metaprog
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 551
    RE: Agnus Dei 2.0 2005/08/12 04:13:24 (permalink)
    Thanks for your thoughts, Charley. I pretty much agree with your assessment when it comes down to the actual instrumental arrangement. The piece cries out for a real bass, but I'm limited to my own tools at the moment (I don't want to rely on sequencing or loops if I can help it, but even if I do go that route eventually, no need to do so in the composition stage). Hopefully in the long run I can work up a decent guitar riff too. I'm certainly more of a singer/songwriter than a guitarist, but I'm trying to beef up my skills in that regard.

As for the Reformed types you've read - all the Reconstructionists. Actually, it was quite a bit through them that I became Reformed to begin with (back around 1990-2), but I'm quite a ways away from some of their peculiarities by now....

Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment.

DAW: Studiocat Core2Duo, Asus P5K mobo, 4GB 1066Mhz WinXP2 > Sonar 5.2 PE > Lynx 1 > VXP/GT Brick
    Mics: GT-66 / Guitars: Carvin DC400, Brian Moore i21.13, Ibanez JS1000, Morris W616, Rodriguez A, Takamine EG523SC-12, Peavey Fury bass
    hornplayer
    RE: Agnus Dei 2.0 2005/08/12 16:33:53 (permalink)
    Sorry. Somehow I double-posted...
    post edited by hornplayer - 2005/08/12 16:42:39

hornplayer
    RE: Agnus Dei 2.0 2005/08/12 16:37:02 (permalink)
    The piece cries out for a real bass, but I'm limited to my own tools at the moment (I don't want to rely on sequencing or loops if I can help it, but even if I do go that route eventually, no need to do so in the composition stage). Hopefully in the long run I can work up a decent guitar riff too. I'm certainly more of a singer/songwriter than a guitarist, but I'm trying to beef up my skills in that regard.

I totally understand and can appreciate where you are coming from! My advice is to make friends, barter, collaborate, pay--whatever--so you can concentrate on doing what you do best. I've said many times, "I write, arrange, play sax--that's it!" Some guys can do it all. I can't. And I'm ok with that. But it does require that I depend on others for the things that I don't do (or don't do yet at the level necessary). Of course, it never hurts to keep working on skills I want to develop--it can only make me better as long as it doesn't distract me from my purpose.

See ya!

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1