Helpful ReplyAkai MPK49 Midi Controller setup issues!!!!

Author
UnknownReality81
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5
2015/02/17 11:29:00 (permalink)

Akai MPK49 Midi Controller setup issues!!!!

Good Morning everybody,
My name is Unknown Reality and i'm a new Sonar Artist DAW user, I purchased the program yesterday curious to see how good this program was. It didn't take long to download and install which i liked very much. I ran into a problem when i tried to install my MPK49 midi controller. Idk why i can't find any info online regarding how to properly set it up. The controller already has a Sonar preset installed but none of the transport buttons, knobs and faders seem to work at all which is a shame because I really looked forward to working with the program. I hope I don't have to buy another midi controller just to work with Sonar because my MPK49 works just fine with the other DAW's I use such as Logic Pro X, Pro Tools 11 and FL Studio. If anybody can help me solve this issue I would gladly appreciate it, thanks in advance have a nice day.
hockeyjx
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 839
Re: Akai MPK49 Midi Controller setup issues!!!! 2015/02/17 11:33:11 (permalink)

Intel i7 950 Proc, Asus Sabertooth x58 MB, 2 Crucial 128GB SSDs and Seagate 1TBGB drive, 12GB Corsair 1600mhz 8-8-8-24 Memory, Nvidia GeForece 8400 Dual Monitor vid card
Cooler Master Silent Pro 700w Power Supply, Cooler Master Sileo 500

Win 7 64 bit, SPlat 64-bit, Komplete 10 Ultimate, AmpliTube3 and AD2

Tascam FW-1884 and AKAI MPK-49
UnknownReality81
Re: Akai MPK49 Midi Controller setup issues!!!! 2015/02/17 12:30:34 (permalink)
Thanks for the link, I follow the steps correctly until I get to step #5 when I try to click each green assignable area to MIDI learn the MPK49 controllers, nothing happens. Maybe its just me but for me nothing happens
djjhart@aol.com
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2189
Re: Akai MPK49 Midi Controller setup issues!!!! 2015/02/17 14:05:49 (permalink)
I find That my MPK 49 is very flaky , ACT works but dont forget to have your MPK plugged in before starting Sonar, otherwise you'll be remapping again and again and again.  One feature I wish Sonar had , remember hardware settings a global save .
 How many times I clicked the sonar Icon when my hardware wasn't started . How many times I just gave up on working cause devices needed to be remapped and I lost the mojo.

Computer - Intel Q9550, Intel BX48bt2 MB, W8 64 bit. 8 gb Ram, SSD  
Hardware - Tascam Fw1884 Control surface only, Ni S49 Komplete Kontroll,Roland Quad Capture, Ni Machine,Kore, Focusrite A/D converter, Blue Mic, Roland Gaia, Akai Mpk49, Yamaha HS80 Monitors.
Software - Sonar Platinum , Vengeance VPS bundle,Sugar Bytes Effectrix, Turnado, NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Dune, Rob Papen  Blade , Delay, Punch Evolved.
 http://soundcloud.com/johnhartson/tracks  
 http://www.youtube.com/user/jhart1313 

swamptooth
Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2229
Re: Akai MPK49 Midi Controller setup issues!!!! 2015/02/17 14:27:42 (permalink)
Try the instructions for sonar here https://www.google.com/ur...4TUWR9sRnOZfbAopfcNKMQ

Arvid H. Peterson
Sonar X3E Prod / X2A  / X1PE | Cubase 9.5.1 | Reason 9.5 | Sibelius7 | Pure Data
Native-Instruments Komplete 10 Ultimate and a smattering of other plugins
Home-brewed VSTs 
Toshiba Satellite S855-S5378 (16GB RAM, modified with 2x 750GB HDDs, Windows 8.1 x64)  
Samson Graphite 49, M-Audio Oxygen 49, Korg nanoPAD2, Webcam motion tracking programs 
M-Audio Fast Track Ultra
Member, ASCAP   

UnknownReality81
Re: Akai MPK49 Midi Controller setup issues!!!! 2015/02/17 20:00:51 (permalink)
swamptooth
Try the instructions for sonar here

I'll definitely try those instructions out and get back with you to let you know they work.
UnknownReality81
Re: Akai MPK49 Midi Controller setup issues!!!! 2015/02/17 21:28:08 (permalink)
I tried to follow those instructions but they must be for an older version of Sonar because the version I have doesn't have some of those same buttons and menu choices etc., its getting a lil frustrating.

Unknown Reality

swamptooth
Re: Akai MPK49 Midi Controller setup issues!!!! 2015/02/17 23:09:46 (permalink)
Hmmm... sorry about that.  I'm back at my daw now.  
Try this:
in sonar go to preferences/midi/control surfaces
click add new control surface
select cakewalk generic surface from the list
click ok
go to utilities and select cakewalk generic surface
click the presets tab and select akai mpk49
for each of the transport controls in the right bottom of the screen
click i.e. play, then press the corresponding button on the mpk, then press the learn button
do this for all your transport controls

trust me, a little patience goes a long way here...
i have 4 controllers set up and it took roughly 2 years to figure out an effective and natural way to map them to all the vsts that i use.  things as little as "do i always want this knob to control the filter frequency on every synth i use?" come into play -- not to mention situations like what if there is no filter to control?

you'll get it down!  the setup can take a while, but it's worth it in the end.

Arvid H. Peterson
Sonar X3E Prod / X2A  / X1PE | Cubase 9.5.1 | Reason 9.5 | Sibelius7 | Pure Data
Home-brewed VSTs 
Toshiba Satellite S855-S5378 (16GB RAM, modified with 2x 750GB HDDs, Windows 8.1 x64)  
Samson Graphite 49, M-Audio Oxygen 49, Korg nanoPAD2, Webcam motion tracking programs 
M-Audio Fast Track Ultra
Member, ASCAP   

azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: Akai MPK49 Midi Controller setup issues!!!! 2015/02/18 03:44:47 (permalink)
swamptooth
i have 4 controllers set up and it took roughly 2 years to figure out an effective and natural way to map them to all the vsts that i use.  things as little as "do i always want this knob to control the filter frequency on every synth i use?" come into play -- not to mention situations like what if there is no filter to control?

I wish someone like you could be convinced to be an alpha tester of my project
It is still alpha, but it opens more possibilities then ACT MIDI and Generic Surface together. I am advertizing my toy for long time already: arbitrary logic, feedback (able to provide indication for pads/buttons/endless encoders), device chaining, direct (not ACT, so can work in parallel) control of VST parameters, easy ACT mapping and FREE. But near no one has interest. For me the concussion is: CW and hardware producers was right, users do not really want seriously use control surfaces with SOMAR, so there is no reason to invest there.

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
swamptooth
Re: Akai MPK49 Midi Controller setup issues!!!! 2015/02/18 11:50:57 (permalink)
Hey alexy - it wasn't hard from a technical standpoint, but an workflow standpoint. When youre running 4 daws with their own peculiarities and >100 vst plugs it takes time to find the most natural setting for how to control it all. Not to mention how some synths have the same parameter mapped to different midi ccs depending on the preset.

Arvid H. Peterson
Home-brewed VSTs 
M-Audio Fast Track Ultra
Member, ASCAP   

Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Akai MPK49 Midi Controller setup issues!!!! 2015/02/18 12:25:07 (permalink)
You might find this article helpful. It describes a simplified way to use ACT.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
swamptooth
Re: Akai MPK49 Midi Controller setup issues!!!! 2015/02/18 17:07:13 (permalink)
ACT is ineffective for be because of the focus requirement.  What I'd like to see is something like this http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3176862

Arvid H. Peterson
Home-brewed VSTs 
M-Audio Fast Track Ultra
Member, ASCAP   

dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: Akai MPK49 Midi Controller setup issues!!!! 2015/02/18 17:15:13 (permalink)
azslow3
swamptooth

I wish someone like you could be convinced to be an alpha tester of my project
It is still alpha, but it opens more possibilities then ACT MIDI and Generic Surface together. I am advertizing my toy for long time already: arbitrary logic, feedback (able to provide indication for pads/buttons/endless encoders), device chaining, direct (not ACT, so can work in parallel) control of VST parameters, easy ACT mapping and FREE. But near no one has interest. For me the concussion is: CW and hardware producers was right, users do not really want seriously use control surfaces with SOMAR, so there is no reason to invest there.

Sad to see you feel that way.  the fact that these threads keep coming up is some evidence that users do want wha tyou are offering.  Everyone is just not cutout to be an alpha tester. Alpha testing in an area tha talready has you pulling your hair in frustration is even more intimidating for some. Also consider that X3 users who have a stable install are hesitant to screw with that with an alpha product and those upgrading to Platinum are probably even more gunshy about adding an alpha product as another variable to throw in the growing pains.  i have downloaded your alpha, but I can admnit i have been hesitant to use because I always find myself "waiting to finish one more work in progress" before doing something that could potentially muck up things.  i have a great interest in this product because ACT is suc ha PITA for me and Akai has one of the worst support teams ever.  It feels non-existant.  the Sonar setting on my MPD is useless and I pretty much stick to the basics.
azslow3
Re: Akai MPK49 Midi Controller setup issues!!!! 2015/02/19 04:09:04 (permalink)
swamptooth
ACT is ineffective for be because of the focus requirement.  What I'd like to see is something like this http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3176862

You want to see it from CW? I can not help then since I am not working for them. My plug-in can do this. It is a bit difficult to setup (parameter names are not shown, so the position should be calculated) but since you are patient...

dubdisciple
Sad to see you feel that way.  the fact that these threads keep coming up is some evidence that users do want wha tyou are offering.  Everyone is just not cutout to be an alpha tester. Alpha testing in an area tha talready has you pulling your hair in frustration is even more intimidating for some.

I am just direct person. I am calling it Alpha because it is Alpha:
* Alpha - not all planned features are inside, stability is UNKNOWN
* Beta - all planned features are inside, stability is UNKNOWN
* Release - all planned features are inside are they are working as expected, stability is confirmed to be good.

When I have started to use X1, I have found out it is Beta at most since I was able to crash it within one hour several times and the result from some operations was far away from expected. I have learned what I should avoid to use, what "workarounds" exists, etc. (thanks to this forum).

I had several crashes with my plug-in, but these crashes was in SONAR. So that is like I trigger some bugs in SONAR. As many VST producers reply and sometimes CW claim, I could just say "my program is fine". But I do not, since I think it is not true. My "Released" projects work for years without single failure, this plug-in is not yet at that level. And without at least one "tester", that is not going to happened. That does not mean the plug-in is crashing every minute, it is not. It is just not on the level of my own imagination for "Stable Release" (SONAR X1/2, Windows Vista, Ubuntu 14 was also NOT at that level!).

RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
1andyf88
  • Total Posts : 46
Re: Akai MPK49 Midi Controller setup issues!!!! 2015/02/19 13:44:52 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby dubdisciple 2015/02/19 16:35:28
http://www.unrelatednotes.com/update-how-to-setup-the-akai-mpk88-with-sonar-x2/

This should work with the mpk49. I Believe this is the set up I'm using. It allows for transport control, fader and pan as well as mute, record arm, etc. follow the instructions and good luck

Intel i7, 12g tri channel ram, 1.5 T disk, too many softsynths and plug-ins
dubdisciple
Re: Akai MPK49 Midi Controller setup issues!!!! 2015/02/19 14:59:36 (permalink)
azslow3
swamptooth

You want to see it from CW? I can not help then since I am not working for them. My plug-in can do this. It is a bit difficult to setup (parameter names are not shown, so the position should be calculated) but since you are patient...

dubdisciple
Sad to see you feel that way.  the fact that these threads keep coming up is some evidence that users do want wha tyou are offering.  Everyone is just not cutout to be an alpha tester. Alpha testing in an area tha talready has you pulling your hair in frustration is even more intimidating for some.

I am just direct person. I am calling it Alpha because it is Alpha:
* Alpha - not all planned features are inside, stability is UNKNOWN
* Beta - all planned features are inside, stability is UNKNOWN
* Release - all planned features are inside are they are working as expected, stability is confirmed to be good.

When I have started to use X1, I have found out it is Beta at most since I was able to crash it within one hour several times and the result from some operations was far away from expected. I have learned what I should avoid to use, what "workarounds" exists, etc. (thanks to this forum).

I had several crashes with my plug-in, but these crashes was in SONAR. So that is like I trigger some bugs in SONAR. As many VST producers reply and sometimes CW claim, I could just say "my program is fine". But I do not, since I think it is not true. My "Released" projects work for years without single failure, this plug-in is not yet at that level. And without at least one "tester", that is not going to happened. That does not mean the plug-in is crashing every minute, it is not. It is just not on the level of my own imagination for "Stable Release" (SONAR X1/2, Windows Vista, Ubuntu 14 was also NOT at that level!).

Btw, this thread prompted me to finally attempt to use the alpha version of your software. I wish i understood it more intuitively. So far so good. No crashes and I was able to get sliders and rotary controls working.  I'm  going to spend some time trying to figure it out.
azslow3
Re: Akai MPK49 Midi Controller setup issues!!!! 2015/02/19 15:58:36 (permalink)
dubdisciple
Btw, this thread prompted me to finally attempt to use the alpha version of your software. I wish i understood it more intuitively. So far so good. No crashes and I was able to get sliders and rotary controls working.  I'm  going to spend some time trying to figure it out.

Thanks!
Please do not give up in case you hit some problem. It is like switching from old cheap hardware "all in one" recorder to DAW, the learning curve can be comparably long. Do not be confused by the size, the price and the interface. It is 25k+ lines of C code written by programmer with 25 years experience

dubdisciple
Re: Akai MPK49 Midi Controller setup issues!!!! 2015/02/19 16:33:32 (permalink)
I will try to be patient. If I can get everything set up ideally it will be well worth it. I'm going to have a thorough read of manual today. If i can get quadcurve eq, transport and compressor all working seamlessly with cinsistency i will be a happy camper
azslow3
Re: Akai MPK49 Midi Controller setup issues!!!! 2015/02/20 04:58:17 (permalink)
dubdisciple
 If i can get quadcurve eq, transport and compressor all working seamlessly with cinsistency i will be a happy camper

Transport is not a problem (in any mode inclusive MMC). You can also control LEDs on transport buttons (or some other, I highlight PADS on MPK mini) which will stay in sync with SONAR (using Monitors).
ProChannel EQ is more tricky. With ACT it is like with everything else, but in "direct mode" there was some bugs in API, I have not checked either that is fixed in Platinum.
Compressors are even worse, since there are different types (and so different parameters). Direct mapping will work only in case they are recognized, there is yet another bug in the API which makes recognition hard.

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1