Alan Parsons liked my tune!! Read on...

Author
The_Retrofits
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 242
2005/05/26 21:27:37 (permalink)

Alan Parsons liked my tune!! Read on...

Hi all. I knew the name dropping might get some attention, but I swear to you it's the honest truth.

Alan Parsons was staying with some friends of ours (the Canadian Fan Club heads of Alan Parsons in Canada - see http://www.theavenueonline.info/site1/tao1.htm) and they were kind (on my behalf) to have him sit down and listen to my song. It was a crappy demo at the time, but he said it had the highest hit potential of the 3 he listened to. That being said, I've sat on it for ages, and now that I have learned how to build a website, would like to share it with anyone who cares to listen. Your comments and critiques are welcome. But, I tell you, having someone like A.P. say your song is great is enough for me!

Song is called, "You'll Know Love When it Finds You".

http://www.retrofits.ca/Mp3's/Not%20Our%20Day%20Job%20-%20Complete%20Mp3's/Martin%20Barret%20-%20You'll%20Know%20Love.mp3

www.retrofits.ca is our home page, and more demos can be found (in part) via the CD link.

Hope you enjoy,

Martin of the Retrofits

6 Replies Related Threads

michael japan
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5252
    RE: Alan Parsons liked my tune!! Read on... 2005/05/27 05:37:37 (permalink)
    Your comments and critiques are welcome. But, I tell you, having someone like A.P. say your song is great is enough for me!

Hi Martin. I very much liked your song-very clean, great guitar work, great vocals. Surely this isn't the "crappy demo" you are referring to. I won't give you any critiques for now-anyway you mentioned it's enough for you that Alan Parsons said your song is great so I guess that's all for now. Maybe in the future if you do want people's honest opinions you might want to preface your message a little different. There are a lot of good players, engineers, and composers on the forum pro and amateur and we all learn a lot from each other.

Good job and best to your band

Welcome to the forum

Windows 10/64 bit/i7-6560U/SSD/16GB RAM/Cakelab/Sonar Platinum/Pro Tools/Studio 1/Studio 192/DP88/MOTU AVB/Grace M101/AKG Various/Blue Woodpecker/SM81x2/Yamaha C1L Grand Piano/CLP545/MOX88/MOTIF XS Rack Rack/MX61/Korg CX3/Karma/Scarbee EP88s/ Ivory/Ravenscroft Piano/JBL4410/NS10m/Auratones/Omnisphere/Play Composers Selection/Waves/Komplete Kontrol
    The_Retrofits
    RE: Alan Parsons liked my tune!! Read on... 2005/05/27 09:49:55 (permalink)
    Hi Michael. Thanks for listening! Sorry that I tooted my own horn there,...but it was my first song posting and I thought it might help get it noticed, but you're right, if I want commentary, I should have gone about it differently. Anyway, I am a thrilled SONAR user and couldn't have done it without it.

Mastering was done on Soundforge 7 using Waves 10band EQ and L3 MultiMaximizer and the S1 Stereo enhancer. I have OZONE, but could never get a handle on it. I'm a big 'presets' guy. Couldn't get it as 'loud' as commercial CD's, but I heard that it's not how loud you make it, but how you make it loud that counts. I decided to allow for dynamics and not crush the living crap out of the songs. I hope I made the better choice.

For all the tunes, should you wish to hear them, go to

www.retrofits.ca/Not_Our_Day_Job_Complete_Tracks.html (Nobody's reviewed these other than bars, family & friends).

Take care,

Martin
    michael japan
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5252
    RE: Alan Parsons liked my tune!! Read on... 2005/05/27 10:31:18 (permalink)
    very nice answer Martin. Will check out the rest of your songs tomorrow. Here's one of mine:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/fb.asp?m=364129&key=leave

-this is a demo as well. Re-doing with real violin, drums, etc.

Again, welcome. Will be nice to see you around.

Michae

Windows 10/64 bit/i7-6560U/SSD/16GB RAM/Cakelab/Sonar Platinum/Pro Tools/Studio 1/Studio 192/DP88/MOTU AVB/Grace M101/AKG Various/Blue Woodpecker/SM81x2/Yamaha C1L Grand Piano/CLP545/MOX88/MOTIF XS Rack Rack/MX61/Korg CX3/Karma/Scarbee EP88s/ Ivory/Ravenscroft Piano/JBL4410/NS10m/Auratones/Omnisphere/Play Composers Selection/Waves/Komplete Kontrol
    tazman
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2435
    RE: Alan Parsons liked my tune!! Read on... 2005/05/27 20:23:42 (permalink)
    Great songs. What did you use for the drums and guitars?
    Dazed
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 665
    RE: Alan Parsons liked my tune!! Read on... 2005/05/27 23:08:08 (permalink)
    Martin nice job on the song. Nice job on the vocals and I agree the mix is very solid.
    The_Retrofits
    RE: Alan Parsons liked my tune!! Read on... 2005/05/28 18:05:12 (permalink)
    Michael: Great tune. My music roots are Christian, and you can check out what I did before I surrendered my life to stupidity - follow the links to my Christian Music on my web page and have a laugh. www.retrofits.ca/Martin_Barret.html . Your stuff is great. Nice piece - very melifluous lyrical/musical flow that stays with you after you walk away from the computer. (By the way, referencing the statement in the second sentence, I'm on track now. Took a few years for me to wake up and realize what a dolt I was trying to live without Him. Enough prosyletizing. Not the forum for it (forgive me the rest o' you).

Dazed. Thanks for the compliment. Do you think I should get this to Don Henley? Boy, he'd do a better job than my voice on the song, I imagine.

Tazman - for drums, a free soundfont, I believe (bluejay drums) and also NSkit, if I'm not mistaken. I used my American Strat for the solos and fills, and also my faithful Takamine for the acoustic - dropped D (1st string, not the fat one) for the main acoustic.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1