Albino 3 and Predator?

Author
barlowjam
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 304
2007/05/02 14:27:35 (permalink)

Albino 3 and Predator?

I've heard the demos for both of these and they sound great! Not sure though, how they differ (they seem quite similar).

Anyone have both of these or a good idea about how they compare?

I'm looking for mostly pad/ambient type sounds to blend in with more acoustic type samples. I know about Atmosphere, but these REALLY sound good and they seem to have more flexibility (also I guess Predator has several FX that can be used independently with any source).

Any comments or impressions would be greatly appreciated.

6 Replies Related Threads

barlowjam
    RE: Albino 3 and Predator? 2007/05/02 14:30:58 (permalink)
    Oops - forgot to ask: What exactly is "Intelligent Preset Variation" (Predator)
    cryophonik
    Max Output Level: -28 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4724
    RE: Albino 3 and Predator? 2007/05/02 14:47:26 (permalink)
    They're both nice subtractive synths. Do you program your own sounds or are you looking for presets? If the former, I'd say neither one particularly has an advantage over the other for pads/ambience. If the latter, I'd give the nod to Albino3, primarily because it has been around a lot longer and there are many soundsets available on the web (free/commercial), some containing very nice pads. But, given your desires, I would definitely consider Atmosphere as you mentioned, but also look at NI Absynth and, especially Rapture. IMO these synths are much better suited to pads/ambient sounds than Albino3 or Predator. Rapture, in particular, comes with a huge library (+2 free expansion packs for download) and is capable of creating some very awesome pads and evolving ambient textures/soundscapes/etc.

cryophonik   |   soundcloud  |   Facebook

Q6600 | GA-EP45-UD3P | Windows 7 64 | 8GB
    Access Virus Keyboard TI2 | Kurzweil PC3X | NI Maschine

DFusion
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 270
    RE: Albino 3 and Predator? 2007/05/02 14:54:46 (permalink)
    Hi barlowjam

Albino and Predator have a simmilar feature set, but there is where it all ends.

Both of them have different character in the sound where Predator can sound both warm and raw, and Albino has a more mellow sound (I Prefer Predator).
    Predator also has a fx unit so you can use it as a effect or as a synth so you get 2 dll´s.
    Predator has also the most flexible vocoder i have seen in a vst and it sounds damn good, and you can use the PredatorFX.dll as a vocoder with the built in synth right on the audio track with only 1 intance of PredatorFX.

Predator is also more aimed at the dance and trance scene which you probably discovered while you demoed them, so is Albino but albino also has a lot of ambient sounds for more laidback music .
    I have also demoed Albino, but ended up with Predator and Blue instead since i prefered the raw sound you could get out of them, but i also have Albino on my wishlist so i will have all the three Rob Papen synths in my collection

But for more ambient pads and arpeggios i would choose Albino.

Maybe you should demo them some more to see which you like the best since sound is subjective and it is hard to recommend something based on my own feelings, and maybe get you into buying something that you will regret later
    post edited by DFusion - 2007/05/02 15:02:07
    DFusion
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 270
    RE: Albino 3 and Predator? 2007/05/02 14:57:43 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: barlowjam

The Intelligent Preset Variation is a form of auto preset maker where you take 2 of your favorite presets and melt them together into a new preset.
    barlowjam
    RE: Albino 3 and Predator? 2007/05/03 14:22:20 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: DFusion

Maybe you should demo them some more to see which you like the best since sound is subjective and it is hard to recommend something based on my own feelings, and maybe get you into buying something that you will regret later

Thanks for your comments. My post sounds a little like I'm asking someone else to tell me - which tastes better, apples or oranges? (before I break down and actaully taste them myself) But I really find it very helpful to hear other opinions - for several reasons. I guess its whatever features/limits/concerns that I can't hear in the demos that I'm looking for.

So thanks again.
    corrupted
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2739
    RE: Albino 3 and Predator? 2007/05/03 14:33:34 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: DFusion

ORIGINAL: barlowjam

The Intelligent Preset Variation is a form of auto preset maker where you take 2 of your favorite presets and melt them together into a new preset.

I don't really use synths a whole lot, but THAT sounds like a great tool right there...
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1