Alesis DM-5 Help

Author
mymastore
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
2010/11/15 16:54:21 (permalink)

Alesis DM-5 Help

I just purchased the UM-1G in hopes I could connect it to my Alesis DM-5 Midi Out and Use Sonar Producer 8.5 to record and take advantage of maybe using the drum kits in Sonar. However, I need help understanding how to get the thing to play the sounds built into Sonar. No matter what I do, I only get the sounds coming from my DM-5 module. Anyone have experience with this?

2 Replies Related Threads

RobertB
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re:Alesis DM-5 Help 2010/11/15 21:06:21 (permalink)
    MIDI and Audio follow two completely different paths into Sonar.
    It looks like you have the audio side figured out.
    Are you going from the DM-5 line out to a mixer or to your interface? Whichever you are using, use the appropriate volume control and turn the volume all the way down.
    In Sonar, Make sure the UM-1G is recognized and selected as a MIDI input device(Options>MIDI Devices).
    Sonar cannot see the DM-5 directly, only the MIDI port to which it is attached.
    Do you have your VSTi (most likely Session Drummer3) inserted in your project?
    It shloud be inserted with a MIDI Source Track, First Synth Audio Out (or All, for better editing flexibility), and the Synth Properties Page.
    In the MIDI track, select the UM-1G as Input.
    Omni is OK, but selecting Channel 10 for input is better, especially if you have other MIDI controllers connected.
    Make sure Input echo is on.
    Strike some of the drums. You should hear sound coming from Session drummer at this point.
    Hopefully you have a decent sound card/interface, as using the VST instruments in real time demands low latency.
    I have the DM-6 kit (USB only). The specific inputs are different, but the principle is the same.
    I use it with Session Drummer 2 and EZ Drummer.
    hth

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    MemphisJo
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 594
    Re:Alesis DM-5 Help 2010/11/16 00:47:01 (permalink)
    You want to use the DM5 to trigger drum kits in Sonar?
    Is it just the module or do you have a kit with it?

The drum kits in Sonar do not need an external drum module to trigger them, they just need a midi controller to do that! (e.g. a keyboard or electronic drum pads/kit)

If you have the kit and the module then it should be fairly simple. The midi out on the module will go to a midi interface in and select that input on your midi track with whatever sonar kit you want selected and play the kit. The only way you could get Alesis DM5 sounds recorded is if you are using audio.    

post edited by MemphisJo - 2010/11/16 00:52:03

www.soundclick.com/peter-nigel-productions 
    Shuttle PC, Mbox2 pro, some guitars and keyboards (with amps and straps etc), Sonar 8 PE plus some other stuff.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1