Alesis MultiMix 16 FireWire

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 11
Author
randy
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 261
RE: How to get ALL 4 Drivers to install...possibly 2006/04/18 08:49:10 (permalink)
My desktop has a VIA chipset, but it is on the motherboard.

Have you checked for any IRQ conflicts?
Can you disable the USB port on the PCI card?
Have you disabled the on board sound card?

randy
Wayne Washington
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9
RE: How to get ALL 4 Drivers to install...possibly 2006/04/18 13:55:40 (permalink)

alesis keeps giving me half-ass answers..
most of that **** they tell me, i've tried already, plus they write like one sentence as an answer to a one page letter...

their newest idea is for me to go buy a firewire-adapter, since "those 4-pin ports are mostly unreliable"
(their exact words..)

i guess instead of putting more money in this piece of sh*t i'd rather invest it in a mackie onyx.

can't believe this...

Wayne Washington
RE: How to get ALL 4 Drivers to install...possibly 2006/04/18 14:09:11 (permalink)
something else regarding my "newer" problem.. (can't make no connection through firewire..)

there's that windows hotfix for sp2 which i don't need.
but i still wanted to go check my sidSpeed with registry editor. (as described here)

the described path is:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\PCI\1394_hc_hw_id\1394_instance_id\Device Parameters

i wasn't able to check because there's no 1394_hc_hw_id in my PCI folder.
could this be the reason why my pc doesn't recognize a firewire device??

thanks in advance..

wayne

post edited by Wayne Washington - 2006/04/18 15:33:35
randy
RE: How to get ALL 4 Drivers to install...possibly 2006/04/19 09:17:37 (permalink)
Wayne, I don't have the hotfix installed on my computer. I will look and see what is in the registry on it and get back with you a little later.

randy
Wayne Washington
RE: How to get ALL 4 Drivers to install...possibly 2006/04/19 09:44:25 (permalink)
thanks randy

note: i think that registry thing does not necessarily have something to do with the hotfix.
i don't have it installed either, but my guess was that if i can't follow the described path
there must be something wrong.

i remember, that i did manually uninstall the "dice.audio" drivers several times when i was trying to get the
multimix to work. i did this cause i wanted to start from scratch and make sure, there's nothing left on the computer...
maybe i accidentally deleted some other necessary files. (don't think so, but it's possible..)

randy
RE: How to get ALL 4 Drivers to install...possibly 2006/04/19 10:38:34 (permalink)
Wayne this is what I found.

My registry does not contain the HKEY
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\PCI\1394_hc_hw_id\1394_instance_id\Device Parameters

It does contain
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\1394\Alesis&MultiMix_Firewire

Hope this helps, or maybe gives you a place to start - post back

randy

Another thing that I saw while looking at the Device Manager, I am running XPSP2. For some reason I thought that I was running XPSP1.

The only thing that I can offer about that is I loaded it and have not updated it at all with any of the Windows updates. Still the mixer is working gerat.

randy
post edited by randy - 2006/04/20 11:33:19
theshinenz
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: How to get ALL 4 Drivers to install...possibly 2006/04/22 22:45:08 (permalink)
Hi Randy, I'm stilling having problems, I now have all four drivers installed, BUT when I go to the multimix control panel is says it can't find the driver, yet the drivers show up but in the windows control panel it won't let me access the volume or anything, strange. I disabled all other audio, pulled my old yamaha xg card out and still no go.
Any ideas, anyone, pleaeeease ASAP!!!
Thanks!!
Scott
randy
RE: How to get ALL 4 Drivers to install...possibly 2006/04/23 10:04:21 (permalink)
Scott, there are only two drivers that I have installed (or there are just two that I know about).
One is for the MultiMix and one is for the Control Panel for the MultiMix.

What are the other two drivers that you are using?
If you can disable the onboard sound in the setup for your motherboard, by the way what
motherboard are you using.

What shows up in Sonar when you stsrt the program, did it tell you that you have to profile
the MultiMix?
Does it show any ins and outs for the MultiMix?

randy
MaccyM
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: How to get ALL 4 Drivers to install...possibly 2006/05/02 06:17:03 (permalink)
Hi, newbie here but I may have a solution to the installation problems with the multimix.
I have just bought myself the multimix16 and .. to cut the story short ... had MAJOR problems with the installation. After around 15 or so installations, wipes and re-installations I finally lost my patience and tried this ...

I simply copied the four drivers form the installation disk into the windows/system, windows/system32 and windows/system32/drivers folders.

I then simply re-booted, switched on the multimix and waited for the 'New Hardware Detected' stuff to kick in. (I DID NOT PUT THE ALESIS INSTALLATION DISK INTO THE DRIVE)

I only did this as I was sooo p!ssed off by this time I was just being petty BUT ... it worked and my Multimix now works fine.

I get that this probably isn't the most 'professional' way of doing things but it's just wjhat worked for me and after 15hours+ of trying to get the frikking things to recognise each other I'm not complaining ! :)

Anyway, hope this helps.

Cheers,
Rob.
post edited by MaccyM - 2006/05/02 06:25:26
mhukill
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: How to get ALL 4 Drivers to install...possibly 2006/05/05 13:33:25 (permalink)
I’m in the same boat. I download the drivers from the website, install them, turn the thing on, then the wizard never updates the four drivers as they’ve described and the multimix is not recognized by my computer. It says the hardware is ready to use, but it’s not listed on under audio recording/playback devices.

I’ve called the support desk at Alesis to no avail. I had already tried everything they told me to do (from reading this helpful post and their not-so-helpful FAQs). Uninstalled and reinstalled tons of times in different ways. Tried both ports. Tried another firewire cable (not cheap). Shipped the thing back to Musician’s Friend and was sent another one. Repeat.

The guy at Alesis acts annoyed with me and gives me his spiel about not having your DAW hooked up to the internet, with unnecessary programs, etc. First of all, how am I supposed to get the drivers off the website if I’m not connected to the internet? Second, not everybody has enough money for two f*cking computers! Meanwhile, this dude probably goes home to his Mackie ONYX 1640 and I’m stuck with nothing doing!!! Also, I love how I have just a 30-minute window to call these people before I have to leave for work in the morning.

Anyway, dude is telling me that it’s my system [listed below] and I can’t call back until Monday. So, any suggestions would be appreciated. Tonight I’m completely pulling out my soundcard (disabling it didn’t work) and trying again…But I have little to no faith in the possibility of this thing ever working for me.

Thanks for listening to an angry newbie,
Monty
post edited by mhukill - 2006/05/05 16:46:52

JetWay A210GDMS-939 Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Processor
512 MB Ram
2 GB Hard disc
DYNEX 3 port firewire pci card
Alesis Multimix 8 firewire mixer
Windows XP Home (PS2)
Sonar 4 Producer
randy
RE: How to get ALL 4 Drivers to install...possibly 2006/05/06 09:29:48 (permalink)
There is a PDF that is in the March driver download, go to section
F. IN CASE OF DIFFICULTY
In case of difficulty, part 1

In it is a detailed discription on the unstall and install for the multimix.
If you need to print it out and follow it step by step, there is also an update for windows that you have to have for the drivers to work. Here is a link to download them if you need to.

1. Verify your Windows version
These updates require Windows XP or later. Both Windows Installer and Windows .NET 1.1 (or
later) must already be installed on your machine.
If you have not updated Windows in a while, we recommend that you go to
www.WindowsUpdate.com and install the available updates.

2. Verify that your version of Windows contains components required by the update
From the “Start” menu, choose “Control Panel” and then “Add or Remove Programs.”
Look for the following items in the list:
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 (or later)
Windows Installer 3.1 (or later)
If one or both of these items does not appear, you must go to www.WindowsUpdate.com and
download them before you can continue.

I know the driver install is a nightmare, but you have to do it step by step in that exact order or they will not work.

randy
mhukill
RE: How to get ALL 4 Drivers to install...possibly 2006/05/07 15:35:11 (permalink)
Thanks, Randy. The installation process wasn't the problem though. I pulled out the audiophile I had in there, got rid of any programs I wasn't using as the Alesis guy suggested...but, apparently, the pci card I was using was the problem. I had a SYBA Firewire IEEE 1394B Card (TI TSB82AA2) in there. I just installed a DYNEX 3 Port Firewire IEEE 1394 Card and the mixer's being recognized. EUREKA. Now I get to play with this thing! I'm not sure what the chipset on this new card is, but it's working.
randy
RE: How to get ALL 4 Drivers to install...possibly 2006/05/07 18:11:43 (permalink)
Great to hear, by the way where did you get the Firewire card on the web or from a store near you? I am looking into getting one and I want to purchase one that will work with the mixer.

randy
mhukill
RE: How to get ALL 4 Drivers to install...possibly 2006/05/07 21:11:13 (permalink)
I got the card at Best Buy for $35...Thanks again for your help.
post edited by mhukill - 2006/05/07 21:19:15
slavesoul78
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Alesis MultiMix 16 FireWire 2006/05/15 22:00:27 (permalink)
man i cnat get my firewire 16 to work i did everything the new .pdf update file said to do....i updated the firewire firmware ...i have an athlon xp 64 does that mean my firewire may not be compatible because it doesn't support 64bit or is that another thing altogether?? any ideas...damn...by the way i'm using Adobe Audition 1.5 could my DAW be the problem?? the multimix can record the main mix channels, but i can't record each track individually and simultaneously...(note: when i plug in a mic in channel 1 it goes left channel only, and a mic in channel 2 goes right channel, the rest of the channels don't respond.....PLEASE HELP!!
randy
RE: Alesis MultiMix 16 FireWire 2006/05/16 12:36:33 (permalink)
Read through this post, I think you might find the answer towards the end of it.

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=756568

Post back if this doesn't help out.

randy
slavesoul78
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Alesis MultiMix 16 FireWire 2006/05/17 08:40:35 (permalink)
thanks randy and thanks to this forum...cuz it solved one problem for me..which was the damn labeling of the tracks.. ASIO LEFT and ASIO RIGHT...ANYWAYS...one more problem i need to fix is the pops i get.....the mixer works fine now on my desktop....i'm trying to make it work well with m y laptop...i have a Lenovo 3000 c100 with 768 RAM ...from the past posts i think the pops has to do with buffer size?...if so how do i go about it? any body have a link i can go to??
THANK GOD FOR THIS FORUM HAHA!!
randy
RE: Alesis MultiMix 16 FireWire 2006/05/18 08:11:04 (permalink)
If you are using ASIO drivers then you can change the buffer size in the Alsis control panel.

There should be an icon on your desktop for it, open it and you can change the buffer size there. Do it before you open Sonar though and there should be no problem.

randy
azumbi_inc
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Alesis MultiMix 16 FireWire 2006/05/27 14:35:23 (permalink)
did anyone know how long the ac adapter can be used?
it cause my ac blow-up since i buy.only 3 times usage..i dunno whats the problem.maybe someone know this problem.

jim

jim
randy
RE: Alesis MultiMix 16 FireWire 2006/05/28 23:37:43 (permalink)
There have been a few reports of bad AC adapters, contact Alesis support. They will send another one.

randy
AAvery111
  • Total Posts : 21
RE: How to get ALL 4 Drivers to install...possibly 2006/05/29 19:48:22 (permalink)
Glad you got the Multimix Firewire going. I bought one and returned it. I finally found out what one of you above said about SP2 and then the other update that Windows does not announce. There is an update for Windows after /sp2. I finally got it to work, but it was still unstable.

I got a good deal around the new year on a Mackie Firewire 1202 Onyx and it is great. It's more money.. but it's so nice not to have any problems with it.

Do load the update from Windows after SP2. I found out from a sales person at Sam Ash, not Alesis. When I called Alesis for support, I shared the fix with them and they basically ignored me. I ripped that nice mixer right back to them if that's all the support I get from them.

I'm really pleased with Mackie Onyx. IT does sooo much more, but it is a larger board, but great!

Thanks all, A

Wayne Washington
RE: How to get ALL 4 Drivers to install...possibly 2006/06/05 14:18:55 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: AAvery111

Glad you got the Multimix Firewire going. I bought one and returned it. I finally found out what one of you above said about SP2 and then the other update that Windows does not announce. There is an update for Windows after /sp2. I finally got it to work, but it was still unstable.

I got a good deal around the new year on a Mackie Firewire 1202 Onyx and it is great. It's more money.. but it's so nice not to have any problems with it.

Do load the update from Windows after SP2. I found out from a sales person at Sam Ash, not Alesis. When I called Alesis for support, I shared the fix with them and they basically ignored me. I ripped that nice mixer right back to them if that's all the support I get from them.

I'm really pleased with Mackie Onyx. IT does sooo much more, but it is a larger board, but great!

Thanks all, A

that's word, man.

first of all, thank you randy for your support.

i gave the multimix back and have just received my mackie onyx 1220.
yeah, it costs twice as much as the alesis, but i'm so glad that finally all my problems are gone. really think
it's worth every single penny..

i ain't trying to tell everybody they should give back their multimix, cause some may be able to fix their problems.
but if you're busting your ass like i did and those ignorant crackheads at the alesis support keep giving you **** tips like
they did to me, i guess its time to make a change.

@randy: i truly think you should be working for alesis, cause you were much more helpful than any of these clowns..

congrats to everyone that got his multimix to work fine.

everyone else, do the right thing.

peace

Wayne Washington
post edited by Wayne Washington - 2006/06/06 12:04:41
randy
RE: How to get ALL 4 Drivers to install...possibly 2006/06/06 12:33:47 (permalink)
Thank you for your kind words Wayne. There is a person that I know, he gave me some advice once.
If you are going to go into the music field you have to have friends, that is what this fourm is all about. There have been many times that others here have helped me out with problems. Just trying to return the favor.
I am glad you now have hardware that is working like it should, now have some fun and make some music.

randy
TheEngineer
  • Total Posts : 3
Corporate america as usual 2006/06/22 14:22:45 (permalink)
Anyone here ever own a Ford?
Those annoying and frequent problems the sales person at the Ford dealership never told you about.
How they persuade the buyer with shinny cars in the parking lot and all those american flags everywhere.

Well, I drive a Toyota now and I am happy.

This is the feeling I got when I bought the Alesis Multimix Firewire.
Inexpensive like a Ford, nice shinny box, and a sales person who would sell his own grandma for money.

I was hesitant about buying this low price audio gear, but the sales person at the Paramus, NJ Victor's House of Music assured me if I had any problems he would accept the return. Another sales person was witness to the whole transaction.

I had problems and brought back the item in two days only to get a very cold shoulder from the sales person and the manager. The other sales person who had witnessed hearing that I can return the item, set at his chair looking down at the floor, afraid to make eye contact with me.

They disclaimed of making any such guarantee and said I was stuck with the mixer. This is how they treat customer who had bought thousands of dollars of gear just to make a few dollars in sales.

I called Justin at Alesis tech support and he literally claimed that I was the "VERY FIRST PERSON" to call in for driver problems with the MULTIMIX FireWire. Justin claimed there has never been a issue with the Multimix drivers. "NEVER" And he sent me on a fools errand to correct problems with my own computer.

So as with my Ford which ended up sitting in the parking lot after only 3 agonizing years of problems, so my Alesis from Victor's House of Music sits on a shelf.

I am sticking with my Toyota and most things from Japan, going with a Yamaha Mixer probably and staying away from Victor's House of Music.

Folks you get what you pay for most of the time.

The Alesis Multimix Firewire is as NOISY as my old Mackie analog mixer (remember the bull **** hype on those pieces of crap?).
The driver is as problematic as in the Windows 95 days.
And Victor's House of Music is conducting business as corporate america as usual (2nd and last time I got robbed there).

Conclusion:
Do not buy Alesis mixers.
Do not buy at Victo's House of Music.
Do not be cheap when buying audio gear.
Do not bother calling Alesis for tech support.

ohhey
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11676
RE: Corporate america as usual 2006/06/22 15:00:33 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: TheEngineer

Anyone here ever own a Ford?
Those annoying and frequent problems the sales person at the Ford dealership never told you about.
How they persuade the buyer with shinny cars in the parking lot and all those american flags everywhere.

Well, I drive a Toyota now and I am happy.

This is the feeling I got when I bought the Alesis Multimix Firewire.
Inexpensive like a Ford, nice shinny box, and a sales person who would sell his own grandma for money.

I was hesitant about buying this low price audio gear, but the sales person at the Paramus, NJ Victor's House of Music assured me if I had any problems he would accept the return. Another sales person was witness to the whole transaction.

I had problems and brought back the item in two days only to get a very cold shoulder from the sales person and the manager. The other sales person who had witnessed hearing that I can return the item, set at his chair looking down at the floor, afraid to make eye contact with me.

They disclaimed of making any such guarantee and said I was stuck with the mixer. This is how they treat customer who had bought thousands of dollars of gear just to make a few dollars in sales.

I called Justin at Alesis tech support and he literally claimed that I was the "VERY FIRST PERSON" to call in for driver problems with the MULTIMIX FireWire. Justin claimed there has never been a issue with the Multimix drivers. "NEVER" And he sent me on a fools errand to correct problems with my own computer.

So as with my Ford which ended up sitting in the parking lot after only 3 agonizing years of problems, so my Alesis from Victor's House of Music sits on a shelf.

I am sticking with my Toyota and most things from Japan, going with a Yamaha Mixer probably and staying away from Victor's House of Music.

Folks you get what you pay for most of the time.

The Alesis Multimix Firewire is as NOISY as my old Mackie analog mixer (remember the bull **** hype on those pieces of crap?).
The driver is as problematic as in the Windows 95 days.
And Victor's House of Music is conducting business as corporate america as usual (2nd and last time I got robbed there).

Conclusion:
Do not buy Alesis mixers.
Do not buy at Victo's House of Music.
Do not be cheap when buying audio gear.
Do not bother calling Alesis for tech support.

Agreed, I went through this with the ADAT Edit (PCR card) system and didn't buy anything from them since. I got the same thing from PreSonus over the firepod "you are the only one complaining..., don't be so picky.. etc".

Well, that's what e-bay is for.
lazarous
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1461
RE: Corporate america as usual 2006/06/22 16:13:35 (permalink)

Just used one on a movie shoot - 22 hours of no problems, connected to a laptop.

How much do you want for yours, and which one do you have? I might be interested in purchasing it.

Corey

Ath 64 3500+
MSI K8N N2 Plat ATX 939 Mobo
2Gb DDR2 400
RME Hammerfall HDSP 9652
UAD1 4.2
WinXP Pro SP2
Sonar 8.3PE
New Henry and Buster episodes available!
TheEngineer
RE: Corporate america as usual 2006/06/22 21:19:27 (permalink)
Hey Corey,

I got the MultiMix8 Firewire.
I just got it to work tonight.
Don't ask me how... I was installing my Edirol to replace the Alesis.
Just for the hack of it I tested the Multimix once more and it worked.

For those of you with mass produced cheap PCs, such as Dells, Gateways and HPs I recommend the Adaptec PCI firewire card and a external Firewire Hub with a external power supply (PC firefire/USB power is noisy). Don't buy those cheap CompUSA brand stuff or anything from Belkin, they are extremely poor quality.

I got the Multimix for $315.
Make a offer.
I just bought another mixer.

Asus Motherboard
AMD Athlon XP 1800
512 megs RAM
Windows XP Pro
Edirol UA25 USB audio interface
MOTU MIDI TimePiece A/V
And my favorite synth the Kurzweil K2600 with KDFX
bunch of other synths/effects
TheEngineer
RE: Corporate america as usual 2006/06/22 21:28:56 (permalink)
Hey Frank,

I understand your past pain trying to make the MultiMix work.
Ebay is convenient. Sold music gear there before.
I don't blame the poor saps that have to work in Corp America. You see I used to be a manager at one.
We train the telephone people to be dumab and naive concerning any problems the company may have.
(It was for a major telecom company).

I have good advice for anyone reading this.
If a American telecom company ever asks for a desposit send them a check and keep a copy of it, because they are trained to not give the deposits back to the customers.
Also when you cancel your subscription have the conversation recorded and dated verbally.
The telecom people are trained to ignore the first several requests to cancel membership.
And furthermore, check your bills for penny charges, it is probably a false charge programmed into the billing computers to randomly charge their customers.

Class action law suites have been filed and won against ATT, Verizon (several times), AOL and many others.

Its off the topic from Cakewalk but I wanted to share this insider info.
ohhey
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11676
RE: Corporate america as usual 2006/06/22 22:49:20 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: TheEngineer

Hey Frank,

I understand your past pain trying to make the MultiMix work.
Ebay is convenient. Sold music gear there before.
I don't blame the poor saps that have to work in Corp America. You see I used to be a manager at one.
We train the telephone people to be dumab and naive concerning any problems the company may have.
(It was for a major telecom company).

I have good advice for anyone reading this.
If a American telecom company ever asks for a desposit send them a check and keep a copy of it, because they are trained to not give the deposits back to the customers.
Also when you cancel your subscription have the conversation recorded and dated verbally.
The telecom people are trained to ignore the first several requests to cancel membership.
And furthermore, check your bills for penny charges, it is probably a false charge programmed into the billing computers to randomly charge their customers.

Class action law suites have been filed and won against ATT, Verizon (several times), AOL and many others.

Its off the topic from Cakewalk but I wanted to share this insider info.

I'm not shocked and amazed [yawn..] After the Enron thing I just assume corporations do that kind of stuff and worse by default. It's like an entire generation of executives were trained in college to cheat and that cheating is good.
Emachine
  • Total Posts : 6
Could not open device bus(1F) 2006/07/05 04:11:07 (permalink)
I saw a posting earlier about the error "could not open bus device (1f)" but did not see a reply. I have been able to install and use the multimix, however it is some what unreliable. I am using a multimix 16 fw with an hp dv8000t laptop that has 4 pin fw. I am also using cubase SX. If i try to record more than 6 channels at a time it will work but after a minute or so the multimix drops off then i get the bus device error and the computer automatically reverts to the internal sound card? Is this a Latencey problem? If so, what should it be set at? Or is this something that the sp2 update should Fix? I have read through most of the postings in this forum and am a little unsure of what I should try first. Can anyone give me any suggestions?
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 11
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1