Alesis SR18 and SI-Drum Kits

Author
jdanderson
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5
2010/04/30 00:43:35 (permalink)

Alesis SR18 and SI-Drum Kits

I'm a newbe to Sonar 7 just graduating from L6 Riffworks. I presume I can't do anything with my drum kits from Riffworks so I'd really like to use my SR18. Starting from scratch with the step sequencer is too much of a reach for me right now. Can anybody help me with a rudimentary start to recording my drums tracks from the midi out on my SR18?
Thanks,
Jeff

4 Replies Related Threads

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Alesis SR18 and SI-Drum Kits 2010/04/30 11:38:50 (permalink)
    JD,

not really sure what you want to do.  Play your SR18 from SONAR, or dump your midi or audio from the SR18 to SONAR.  Either way, you need midi between your drum machine and computer hooked up.  Audio from your SR needs to go to the computer audio interface.  You can record audio or midi coming in from the SR, and if you have midi files you want the Sr to play, they have to be routed from SONAR there.  If it is a matter of setting things up hardware and software wise, you need to go through the tutorials.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    gray36
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 372
    Re:Alesis SR18 and SI-Drum Kits 2010/04/30 14:59:14 (permalink)
    If you have Studio Instruments, when you have the drum kit up, hit F1, and it will give you all the #s, and notes, for each drum, try putting those in your Akai, just a thought, having problems with something close to you, only I'm using very "simple" Akai LPD8. Good Luck!

HP Pavilion dv6 Intel Duo Core 2 2.20GHz T6600, Windows 7 x 64, Guitar tracks Pro 4, SonarX1dEXP,SonarX2Prod. 8.5.3, Focusrite Saffire 6 USB, JBL monitors, Alesis SR-16, Guitar Rig 4 Pro, PRS SE, Epiphone Les Paul Custom, Cort SJ-10 ,Steven Slate 3.5, Akai MPK25, Glyph GT 050Q (500GB)RP1000http://soundcloud.com/mar...ayin-around-mix1 
    Big Al 80
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:Alesis SR18 and SI-Drum Kits 2010/05/22 09:18:21 (permalink)
    Connection
    You will need a MIDI to USB interface to go from the SR18 to your computer.  I currently run my MIDI cable from the out port of my SR18 to the MIDI in port of my PreSonus Firestudio Lightpipe.  I then have my Presonus hooked up to my computer.  If you don’t already have a computer interface such as the Presonus, you might want to try using some other device such as the Cakewalk UM-1G 1X1 USB MIDI interface or something similar (never tried it before but it should work).   I’ve also ran my SR18 thru my midi controller (EDIROL PCR-500) – just another option.

SR18 Configuration
    I currently have my SR18 configuration set up in the following manner (use the System Setup key on the SR18 to set up these parameters).  Please note:  It’s not imperative that you have the SR-18 configurations/parameters set up as I do, but this is what works for me.
    MIDI CH: 12
    DRUM IN:  On:V1
    DRUM OUT:  On
    NOTE C36:  C1
    CLOCK IN:  On
    CLOCK OUT: On
    MIDI THRU: Off

Recording w/Sonar
    Note:  I’m currently using Sonar 8.5.  Everything from here out may be a little different in Sonar 7.
    Once you have Sonar open, select :
    INSERT à MIDI TRACK
    From the midi track select your input,
    then select your output to
    NEW DRUM MAP à <choose a drum map to your liking>.
     I would suggest using something other than the SR16 drum maps.  Hit play on the SR18 and you should be ready to record.
    Since I wasn’t sure where your issue was (Connection, Configuration, Recording), I didn’t go into detail in either of the sections list above.  Please let me know, and I will be more than happy to expand upon any of the sections listed above.
    Good luck!!!
    gray36
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 372
    Re:Alesis SR18 and SI-Drum Kits 2010/05/23 03:52:02 (permalink)
    Not sure what system you are using, but I just bought a brand new Alesis Sr-16, and a M-Audio Midisport UNO(CLASS COMPLIANT)-meaning no drivers necessary, tricky part, was told by Alesis tech to Hook up Midi out for Uno to Midi out on SR, Midi in on Uno to Midi in on Alesis (sounds backwards), but I am now triggering EZ-Drummer from within Sonar, like above make sure, on SR, to have Midi on, on the SR, and not sure about the rest, with the clock set-up, and so on, havent got that far, just wanted to make sure I could trigger, and record from SR. It honestly took 5 minutes from start to finish, and was recording....after spending 2 weeks trying to get Akai to do anything, sorry, not as in depth, but it works! Good luck! I am running Windows 7x64, Home Premium, and no probs!

HP Pavilion dv6 Intel Duo Core 2 2.20GHz T6600, Windows 7 x 64, Guitar tracks Pro 4, SonarX1dEXP,SonarX2Prod. 8.5.3, Focusrite Saffire 6 USB, JBL monitors, Alesis SR-16, Guitar Rig 4 Pro, PRS SE, Epiphone Les Paul Custom, Cort SJ-10 ,Steven Slate 3.5, Akai MPK25, Glyph GT 050Q (500GB)RP1000http://soundcloud.com/mar...ayin-around-mix1 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1