Aligning Starts Only Of Classical Audio Tracks

Author
Michael.b
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 50
2017/09/10 16:24:48 (permalink)

Aligning Starts Only Of Classical Audio Tracks

Hello,

I'm using Sonar Platinum with the latest (August) update.

Is there a tool in Sonar or a third party tool that will align the starts only of a few classical vocal tracks? I don't want to mess with aligning the complete tracks I just want so they start precisely together.

I have four classical vocal tracks I'm mixing in with a chamber orchestra and the vocal tracks were each recorded seperately and at different times in different studios. Presently I'm aligning visually and by listening and am wondering if there is a more precise tool for this.

I'm aware of Vocalsync and Vocalign but I'm not sure if these would do what I'm looking for without stretching or compressing the rest of the tracks.

Or is it a case I'm already doing it the best way ie visually and listening?

I'd appreciate any advice with this.

Thanks.

3 Replies Related Threads

stickman393
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1528
    Re: Aligning Starts Only Of Classical Audio Tracks 2017/09/10 16:45:35 (permalink)
    >>I have four classical vocal tracks I'm mixing in with a chamber orchestra and the vocal tracks were each recorded seperately and at different times in different studios. Presently I'm aligning visually and by listening and am wondering if there is a more precise tool for this.<<

Are the tempo maps the same? Or are you basically taking four (or five) different performances, with different tempos, and trying to combine them into a single "performance"? 

Assuming the worst case, you're going to need a combination of techniques, and the results may or may not be satisfactory depending on your source material.

My first cut process would be:
    Select a single vocal track as "baseline". This should be whichever most closely matches the Orchestra track.
    Manually split and roughly align each additional vocal track to the baseline.
    Try using vocalsync or whatever to fine-tune each additional segment to match the baseline
    Now group the vocal tracks and repeat the manual process to match the combine vocal tracks to the Orchestra. If you can bounce to a separate stereo vocal mix this might be easiest.

I would avoid repeated use of Vocalsync if you can.

Good luck!
    Michael.b
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50
    Re: Aligning Starts Only Of Classical Audio Tracks 2017/09/10 17:47:05 (permalink)
    stickman393 ..... Are the tempo maps the same? Or are you basically taking four (or five) different performances, with different tempos, and trying to combine them into a single "performance"? 

Hello Stickman and thanks for replying.

My apologies, I should have mentioned that the tempo maps are exactly the same for the four recordings and my singers each recorded to exactly the same piano accompaniment backing (obviously the piano accompaniemnt is not included on the takes .. just the pure voice).

The four recordings are pretty much together so it's just for me to align the starts. I thought there might be a tool for this but if not I'll just go on the wave-form visual and listening starts.
    stickman393
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1528
    Re: Aligning Starts Only Of Classical Audio Tracks 2017/09/11 00:42:58 (permalink)
    Um, yeah, don't touch the audio with any algorithm-type trickery. Just use your ears :-)
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1