Helpful ReplyAll Sonars (2017.6 inclusive) : MIDILeaks (Remote Control killer)

Author
azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
2017/07/01 09:57:14 (permalink)

All Sonars (2017.6 inclusive) : MIDILeaks (Remote Control killer)

I mention that one more time explicitly, because of recent bugfix:
Assigning a MIDI Remote Control will now save with project

I mean there is an intention to make Remote Control working, but described here effect is bizarre for anyone who tries to use  Remote control is a project with almost any Synth.

Requirements: any MIDI controller with keys (on channel 1) and a knob or fader assigned to CC16 (channel 1), any Sonar. Particular CC is just to reproduce the example exactly, it can be any CC/Note/other MIDI on knob, fader, button, etc.

1. Create an empty project, insert TTS-1
  2. Check you can play piano with keys
  3. "Remote control" track 1 volume with the knob (so assign CC16 as remote control for TTS-1 output volume).
  4. play keys while turning the knob, you should hear the effect: the volume is changed as expected, but pitch is also shifting...

To give you an idea why I have called that bizarre: think about 2 synth, one is currently focused (let say piano) and you have assigned a knob as Remote Control for another track volume (let say drums). You have started to play piano along recorded drums, and then have decided to lower drum track volume.... the sound of the piano is changed...

I remember the feeling the first time that has happened to me. Note that depending from CC and synth, the effect can be virtually everything, including some subtle parameter which barely affect the sound. You modify something with intention but the sound is changing rather weird way. Depending from the synth, the change can be saved into the project.

MIDI leaks exist for all Remote Control assignments, including MIDI learn in Matrix.
The second case of MIDI Leaks is when there are 2 Control Surface plug-ins for one controller (f.e. Generic Surface + ACT MIDI, quite popular combination). All assignments from the first plug-in are leaking into tracks/synth.

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: All Sonars (2017.6 inclusive) : MIDILeaks (Remote Control killer) 2017/07/01 10:03:40 (permalink)
sounds like the same stuff SilkTone spent a lot of time reporting, although he referred to it as "cross-talk"?

just a sec

azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: All Sonars (2017.6 inclusive) : MIDILeaks (Remote Control killer) 2017/07/01 10:19:34 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby pwalpwal 2017/07/01 10:37:12
pwalpwal
sounds like the same stuff SilkTone spent a lot of time reporting, although he referred to it as "cross-talk"?

For me "cross-talk" is different.

"MIDI leaks" is quite strait-forward Sonar behavior: it does not block assigned MIDI messages. So that is not a bug, that is "not implemented feature". But without that feature, "Remote control" is too dangerous to use apart from audio only projects.

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1