All You Great Brits ...

Author
Moshkiae
Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6111
2010/07/23 20:05:11 (permalink)

All You Great Brits ...

Hi,

Please record this for me and make me a copy on mp4 or so ... please please ...

Tonight on BBC Four, there begins a night of Prog. There's Muse highlights from Glastonbury of this year. Then the real prog comes out. Prog Rock Britannia, the greatest documentary I have ever watched, my opinion anyway. It includes contributions from Mont Campbell [Egg]; Phil, Tony and Mike of Genesis; Robert Wyatt [Soft Machine] Steve Howe and Rick Wakeman of Yes; Carl Palmer [the 'P' of ELP], Mike Oldfield, Pete Sinfield, Ian Anderson [Jethro Tull], Gary Brooker [Procol Harum], Richard Coughlan [Caravan] Arthur Brown and 'Whispering' Bob Harris . Then there's Prog at the BBC, performances of various prog bands such as Genesis, ELP, Yes, Wishbone Ash, King Crimson, The Nice and various others. If you are not in the U.K I'm not sure if the BBC iPlayer will work for you, but it's available for a week following the broadcast. I believe both of these programmes are available on Youtube. Still worth watching either way. CATCH IT! A MUST FOR PROG FANS!

As a wise Guy once stated from his holy chapala ... none of the hits, none of the time ... prevents you from becoming just another turkey in the middle of all the other turkeys! 

5 Replies Related Threads

ericyeoman
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 976
    Re:All You Great Brits ... 2010/07/24 06:27:22 (permalink)

CuBase, Ableton, Steinberg UR-22 MKII, i7-4790K 4.00 Ghz, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RAM, Windows 10. 
    The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:All You Great Brits ... 2010/07/24 07:12:39 (permalink)
    Did they forget the Captain and Tennille?

Does Gary Booker know he was in a *prog* band?

Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    Re:All You Great Brits ... 2010/07/24 09:12:39 (permalink)
    Nice one Eric, and to Pedro for the heads up.

I just watched 9 of 'em back to back.

It goes to show why these things are relevant to the time and rightly lose focus after performing their function in the context of that time setting. 

It's nice as well to be able to listen to some prog now and then, these days without embarrassment and look at the good things in there, but I'm glad in a way that, for example Yes became pretty much redundant to me after 'Close to the Edge' as did 'Genesis' after Gabriel's departure (Gabriel himself too largely, also). 

These kind of things affirm to me that I was actually hearing some of those real qualities in the artists themselves and was buying albums such as 'Close to the Edge' on merit and not just being a partisan Yes fan, as I concur with Bill Bruford himself that it was their pinnacle of creative worth and I never bought them after that.

There was some glaring omissions in there but at least they played out with the Moody Blues - 'Thinking is the best way to travel'.

I loved the comment about British artists being embarrassed and reserved about 'vulgar' displays of capability where Americans gladly celebrate that, as it seems so true.

Nothing wrong with either view but 'vive la difference' I say!  Somewhere between the guarded self-concious and the overt lies a good balance and it is what makes trans-atlantic collabs seem so worthwhile and fruitful from what I can tell.

post edited by Jonbouy - 2010/07/24 09:17:31

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:All You Great Brits ... 2010/07/24 10:10:15 (permalink)
    i agree with everything you said Jon, but i wish the Beeb would stop looking back wistfully at the 70s (and incidentally making very cheap TV, all those band performances in the vault), and make a programme about the very healthy state of contemporary prog. (same with metal too!)

the fact we have a mag like 'classic rock presents prog' which appears to be doing pretty well (mind you it should at £7 a pop!), a prog stage at the high voltage fest, and lotsa cool websites such as the prog archives demonstrates this is very much a living phenomenon.

i think a lot of this has been driven by prog metal, bands like dream theater and opeth have opened a lot of doors for other bands, as well as the minds of metallers,whilst the likes of Neal Morse and Porcupine Tree (and their innumerable side projects) add more of a rock element. the UK scene in particular is bursting at the mo, bands like Frost*, It Bites,Pendragon, Touchstone, the Reasoning, Haken...and although i don't know the more classic prog scene as well, judging by the reviews in CRPP that seems on the up too.

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    Glyn Barnes
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7564
    Re:All You Great Brits ... 2010/07/24 11:03:16 (permalink)
    mgh

the UK scene in particular is bursting at the mo, bands like Frost*, It Bites,Pendragon, Touchstone, the Reasoning, Haken...and although i don't know the more classic prog scene as well, judging by the reviews in CRPP that seems on the up too.
    Yeah, theres a lot going on, as I am discovering. "Classic Rock presents Prog" is pretty good at pointing one in the right direction. US Proggers Syzygy are one of my current favorites.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
    Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
    Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1