Allocating MIDI input to tracks and saving it to project.

Author
paulpud
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 45
2014/07/03 07:18:15 (permalink)

Allocating MIDI input to tracks and saving it to project.

The issue I have is probably as much down to my limited knowledge of MIDI as anything else but I would really appreciate some help.

I've been using MC5 for some years now, creating drums and synth music tracks using both Cakewalk and 3rd party VST synths for export as wav. files to be mixed with other tracks from fellow musicians for recording songs. However, there may now be an occasion where I need use the software in a live situation and this is where I may have an issue.

When not entering notes on the piano roll manually I use either a mini Akai MIDI-USB keyboard or an old full size piano keyboard via a cheap USB to MIDI interface. Whilst both work ok and do what I need them to do, I struggle to allocate which of my tracks and/or synths should be controlled by the MIDI keyboard. Usually, when I start up MC5, I find that the keyboard is controlling most, if not all, of the tracks so pressing a key results in a jumble of sounds. At the moment I go down the tracks and adjust the track/VST inputs which takes a while as sometimes the tracks revert to original input settings and I have to do them again. Once I have the tracks inputs set as I want them to be, despite saving the project, on re-opening it I am always back to square one and have to do it all again to work on it, which gets a little frustrating.

If I am to use the software in a live situation, I need to be able to choose which tracks respond to the MIDI keyboard(s) and which should be isolated from any MIDI input and save this for each project so that I can open a project, play it and play along with it through the VST synths with minimal adjustments.

Can I do this and, if so, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks

4 Replies Related Threads

RobertB
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re: Allocating MIDI input to tracks and saving it to project. 2014/07/03 08:04:28 (permalink)
    Do you have MC5 set to always run as admin? If not, try that.
    It may be UAC preventing your settings from being saved.
    Also, be sure any USB input devices are connected before you open MC5.
    Otherwise, MC5 may default to "None", which means "none selected", and all input channels are open.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    paulpud
    Re: Allocating MIDI input to tracks and saving it to project. 2014/07/03 08:54:36 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply Bob.

Amazingly, after countless attempts at rectifying this before asking for help, I think I may have made progress.

In the Options>Global>General tab there is an 'Always Echo Current MIDI Track' option which I have now un-ticked and, since doing so, it seems that it no longer automatically selects inputs for tracks, although I only have access to a virtual MIDI controller until this evening when I shall try it with my proper MIDI keyboards.
    Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re: Allocating MIDI input to tracks and saving it to project. 2014/07/03 13:54:35 (permalink)
    make sure that when you save the project, the keyboard(s) are still on and connected to MC.  also, make sure when you are ready to open the project again, make sure the keyboards are connected in the same ports and are on before ou open MC.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    paulpud
    Re: Allocating MIDI input to tracks and saving it to project. 2014/07/03 18:41:30 (permalink)
    Well it seems that my issue is resolved.

I've tried my Akai keyboard this evening and it has behaved just as the virtual keyboard did earlier. The software no longer assigns any of the tracks to the keyboard by default so I can now do it manually and when I save and reopen the project the tracks/VSTs that I had previously selected for midi input are still selected. 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1