Altering a Dimension Strings Sound

Author
Mack
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 264
2005/12/06 09:44:07 (permalink)

Altering a Dimension Strings Sound

Hello,

I am new to Dimension and have what may be a ridiculas question. Here is my problem. I have a song that I wish to add a string section with, but the song tempo is such that the strings can not keep up. What I mean is that I have the ability to play along at the keyboard but the nature of the string sound (slow and dreamy) can't keep up. I guess what I want is for the string to sound when I hit the keyboad note and then stop when I release it without a long hold over. Does this make sense?
I would appreciate any suggestions or guidance with this.
Thanks,
Mack

3 Replies Related Threads

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Altering a Dimension Strings Sound 2005/12/06 10:26:36 (permalink)
    Change the string sound to one with a quicker attack?

Or, if your playing is good enough to anticipate, you can play the string part and then slip the midi track forward so that it swells at the proper moment.

Finally, do a John Cale - find a chord that you can hold over (or under) longer.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    xylyx
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2505
    RE: Altering a Dimension Strings Sound 2005/12/06 13:42:00 (permalink)
    Yep, just adjust the Attack and Release times of the Amplitude envelope (A) to shorter times...
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Altering a Dimension Strings Sound 2005/12/06 18:27:19 (permalink)
    I guess what I want is for the string to sound when I hit the keyboad note and then stop when I release it without a long hold over.
    Welcome to the forum, John. You've gotten some good responses. Here's a couple that require minimal programming:

Go to the Amplitude envelope of each Element (maybe just E1), and set the EG Status to Off (left-hand bottom). The designed envelope in the program will be turned off, and the "hidden" amplitude EG takes over. Might be a little unnatural-sounding (with an instant Release Time), but it'll do what you've described.

Another thing to do is look at the Program names themselves in the 07 -Strings folder. If you see something like "mw=attack" , or "cc2=attack" (especially in Dimension Pro), you'll know that you can vary the attack time of that particular patch using your Mod Wheel, or a knob/slider control programmed to send a CC#2 MIDI message. It's a little easier to fine-tune the sound while playing back and recording, and all the "work" has already been done for you in that program patch's .sfz file. HTH
    post edited by b rock - 2005/12/06 18:29:53
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1