Alternating Current

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Crg
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7719
Re:Alternating Current 2011/12/19 07:55:30 (permalink)
miguelito

My electric toothbrush does it.

Yes and mine does too, along with a fantastic job cleaning my teeth.
;)

However, the demo I was referring to had the cell phone in a different set of rooms than the 'charging station'. It really was rather thought provoking.

Regards

There have even been examples of charging cell phones by satelite. Unfortunately they haven't been usable or effecient enough to implement.

Craig DuBuc
craigb
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re:Alternating Current 2011/12/19 09:51:12 (permalink)
Crg

There have even been examples of charging cell phones by satelite. Unfortunately they haven't been usable or effecient enough to implement.

The extension cord got too long, roight?

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
The Maillard Reaction
  • Total Posts : 31918
Re:Alternating Current 2011/12/19 10:02:30 (permalink)
I read a little bit about the Tesla Coils and how they differ from a Van De Graf. Both produce extremely high voltage but the Tesla Coil can also transfer high current.

It seems a shame that we don't have a clear understanding of how some of Tesla's thoughts matured. In other words, I imagine that he personally concluded many avenues of research while we, as observers, may only understand the premise of the research. It would be a relief of sorts to know if and what ideas he may have decided were unrealistic. Some how it seems like that would allow for more time to appreciate the stuff he was still trying to understand.

He lived to an old age and in some ways it seems like he ran out of people who could keep up with him.

Having just finished reading a book about Paul Dirac it seems eerie to recognize similar trends. Mr Dirac's work was regarded as state of the art, then set aside by a succeeding generation only to be rediscovered in a later cycle.

It seems like some cutting edge scientists hit a wall where their ideas become so rarefied that they have few opportunities to discuss the ideas with people who can contribute to the progress of understanding and so the research gets bogged down in some side issue and the body of work looses momentum.

It seems like Tesla was operating at a level where he didn't have any body to pick up the project and move forward.

It sure would be great to have his insights about what didn't need to be re invented again.

best regards,
mike

57Gregy
  • Total Posts : 14404
Re:Alternating Current 2011/12/19 12:13:48 (permalink)
Without AC, there would be no AC/DC.
Thank you Mr. Tesla.

Greg 
I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
Ham N Egz
  • Total Posts : 15161
Re:Alternating Current 2011/12/19 12:32:17 (permalink)
And then, where would the metal genre have been?

Green Acres is the place to be
 I dont twitter, facebook, snapchat, instagram,linkedin,tumble,pinterest,flick, blah blah,lets have an old fashioned conversation!

Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
Re:Alternating Current 2011/12/19 13:07:50 (permalink)
Crg

His ideas of free electricity coming somehow from the cosmos have always fascinated me....

Solar power. Just a basic application of the same principle. Some of Teslas experiments were just that, experiments. Some of which were too dangerous for widespread use and mass implementation. A large portion of his work was locked up for that reason. You have to remember that in his later years he was becoming quite insane. His genius is undeniable but often genius goes awry and becomes dangerous. The fight for ownership of his inventions most certainly drove him over the edge and killed him. The goverment should have set him up and given him a blank check.

Tesla supposedly had a device that he hooked up to a car that was described as being about the size of a shoe box. He was able to power an electric car all day with it and never worried about running out of power. The box supposedly disappeared and was never found. He was looking at wireless ways to power very large things like cars and planes.

Not too many years ago one of my neighbors was passing out flyers to attend a meeting organized to invest in the concept of powering houses through wireless power.....I was and still am skeptical,especially since my neighbor still uses the power grid.

I believe we held knowledge that was lost, not just from Tesla but from many others. I remember a story about a bush pilot in the 30's who had devised a communication system where he could drive a steak into the ground with a radio set on it and another person located anywhere else within a certain range could do the same thing and they could communicate through the ground somehow,no wires and no wireless air communications, seemed to be like what submariners use only on land....after he died noone could figure out how he had done it.For all I know someone else may have figured it out by now.

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

The Maillard Reaction
  • Total Posts : 31918
Re:Alternating Current 2011/12/19 13:16:01 (permalink)
One sort of has to know about carrier waves and biasing and stuff to even catch a glimpse of what guys like that were up to.

best,
mike

edited bad grammar
post edited by mike_mccue - 2011/12/19 13:17:22

Crg
  • Total Posts : 7719
Re:Alternating Current 2011/12/19 18:40:36 (permalink)

Tesla supposedly had a device that he hooked up to a car that was described as being about the size of a shoe box. He was able to power an electric car all day with it and never worried about running out of power. The box supposedly disappeared and was never found. He was looking at wireless ways to power very large things like cars and planes. Not too many years ago one of my neighbors was passing out flyers to attend a meeting organized to invest in the concept of powering houses through wireless power.....I was and still am skeptical,especially since my neighbor still uses the power grid. I believe we held knowledge that was lost, not just from Tesla but from many others. I remember a story about a bush pilot in the 30's who had devised a communication system where he could drive a steak into the ground with a radio set on it and another person located anywhere else within a certain range could do the same thing and they could communicate through the ground somehow,no wires and no wireless air communications, seemed to be like what submariners use only on land....after he died noone could figure out how he had done it.For all I know someone else may have figured it out by now.

It's hard to tell at this point what has become urban legend. I wouldn't be suprised at anything Tesla did. He was definitely on a level of understanding far beyond anyone else. I've heard the one about the ground wave radio. It's true. The one that fasinates me the most is the one about the Indian guide who puts his ear to the ground and says, " two men and a woman on horses, two, maybe three days ahead."

Craig DuBuc
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1