Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
8ftsq
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 230
2004/11/02 19:23:22 (permalink)

Amd anthalon?

Hi all,
I'm looking to upgrade my PC situation.I was wondering how many of you are using AMD processors and what your experiences with them have been?I'm also looking at P4 PC's,but I'm trying to keep costs down to afford some other items.I'll be running Reason through rewire also.I do mostly guitar based rock so it wont be too synth heavy or anything.Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.Thanks.

Frank

47 Replies Related Threads

Rev. Jem
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1723
    RE: Amd anthalon? 2004/11/03 19:54:49 (permalink)
    I run Athlon XP 2600+, Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe, 2 x 7200rpm hard drives, an utterly crap but serviceable AGP graphics card & 1Gb Geil RAM in an Antec Sonata case (pretty quiet), all of which which is smooth & capable.

I know you said you want to keep the cost down but you didn't mention how much you can afford.

Search this forum for threads on Athlon 64 solutions: more expensive, greater longevity.
    8ftsq
    RE: Amd anthalon? 2004/11/03 22:41:27 (permalink)
    I did a search like you suggested(it'd help if I could spell ATHLON correctly).Judging by what I found I think I'm in way over my head.It seems most of you guys built your own PCs.Those rack mount ones are pretty cool looking.I'm probably going to get a Dell or HP for now I think.I was looking to spend between $600-$800,but that might be a fantasy I guess.
    Oh well,thanks for your reply.Any other advise is welcome.

Frank
    Stich
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 873
    RE: Amd anthalon? 2004/11/04 10:15:32 (permalink)
    You'll get a lot more bang for the buck by learning to build your own.

Stich
    neilius
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 492
    RE: Amd anthalon? 2004/11/04 11:14:58 (permalink)
    I have always used AMD over intel (cheaper and faster IMO) and my current DAW is an Athlon XP 2600+ Barton with the MSI K7N2 nForce2 chipset based Motherboard. It runs flawlessly and is rock solid in terms of stability.

Regards,

Neil.
    ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Amd anthalon? 2004/11/04 11:18:10 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: 8ftsq

I did a search like you suggested(it'd help if I could spell ATHLON correctly).Judging by what I found I think I'm in way over my head.It seems most of you guys built your own PCs.Those rack mount ones are pretty cool looking.I'm probably going to get a Dell or HP for now I think.I was looking to spend between $600-$800,but that might be a fantasy I guess.
    Oh well,thanks for your reply.Any other advise is welcome.

Frank

You can buy pre-buit Athalon boxes you don't have to build it if you don't want to. Many of the places that sell parts will do it for you and test the system for a small charge. Some will even build it for free if you buy the parts from them. I wouldn't even worry about a warrantee for that matter. Modern comporters are VERY reliable at a hardware level and by the time it breaks it's time to upgrade anyway. If you buy a generic one it's cheap and easy to repair them. For example if you buy a Dell and the power supply goes out (the most common failure), you have to get their special power supply. If you buy a generic computer you can get a new power supply at ANY computer store and install it yourself with only a screwdriver.
    8ftsq
    RE: Amd anthalon? 2004/11/04 18:27:05 (permalink)
    I know that specific models of motherboards,hard drives,etc.,are probably going to be a matter of personal opinion, but could you guys give me a rough idea of what I should be looking for?I don't think I need the most awesome system there is,at least for my humble little basement song writing studio.I agree that I should look for value now,though. I just have no reference for what is overkill for me.
    If anyone could direct me to any sites where I could buy the components,and maybe that would assemble it,Id appreciate it.I've been to Toms Hardware web site.(It's really mind boggling,kinda like trying to read a different language or something to me.)I'm pretty handy,I mean i could physically put it together,but getting it all to work and be happy,well,that would be worth paying for I think.
    Thank you all for your input.

Frank
    ohhey
    RE: Amd anthalon? 2004/11/04 21:38:05 (permalink)

I know that specific models of motherboards,hard drives,etc.,are probably going to be a matter of personal opinion, but could you guys give me a rough idea of what I should be looking for?I don't think I need the most awesome system there is,at least for my humble little basement song writing studio.I agree that I should look for value now,though. I just have no reference for what is overkill for me.
    If anyone could direct me to any sites where I could buy the components,and maybe that would assemble it,Id appreciate it.I've been to Toms Hardware web site.(It's really mind boggling,kinda like trying to read a different language or something to me.)I'm pretty handy,I mean i could physically put it together,but getting it all to work and be happy,well,that would be worth paying for I think.
    Thank you all for your input.

Frank

There was a time when you had to do a lot of research to get just the right parts but I have not had to do that for a long time. Modern motherboards just work. All the way from the $59 ones up to the $300 ones. The last two system I built I just got the cheapest thing they had on sale at Frys and it all worked great. Might be good to stick with a major brand with a good download site for driver updates. Asus, ABIT, EPOX, and ECS are all good.

I would suggest a Matrox dual head card if you don't play games. They are low CPU usage, cheap, and work great with audio programs. Even if you don't have two monitors right now you can use it with just one. Also, you want to get at least a 7200 rpm drives. One for your OS and one just for media files (project folders).
    Rev. Jem
    RE: Amd athlon? 2004/11/04 22:27:34 (permalink)
    OK, let's start - this may be a bit of a tough one but... how much can you afford to spend ?

If you're looking a for a completely new system & not re-using older parts from your existing system, this will involve a decision on a case, PSU (AMD recommended), mainboard, CPU, graphics card, RAM, 2 hard drives).

My system that I mentioned earlier is by no means a brain-sucking monster but it cost me under 1000 Oz bucks to build & works very nicely with an M-Audio Audiophile 2496.

If you're trepidatious about building one yourself, just copy someone else's spec, give it to your computer shop & get them to put ti together for you. It would've cost me just 50 bucks more for the shop to put mine together for me.
    8ftsq
    RE: Amd anthalon? 2004/11/04 22:33:31 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info ohhey.This PC will be just for music.No games or internet.As far as the dual head card ,I'm using Home studio 2 xl now,and I thought I read somewhere that it didn't have dual monitor support,but I'm not sure.I think Reason does however,so I will definately consider that option.
    I just found a site called monarch computers that builds pc's for you.The prices aren't as high as I thought.I'm going to read as much as I can around here as to what everyone is using,and start pricing it all out.
    Rev. Jem
    RE: Amd anthalon? 2004/11/04 22:35:33 (permalink)
    I'm probably going to get a Dell or HP for now I think

If you go the brand route, I think you might be better off without Dell. There are some here who run them successfully but I just can't help thinking that it's mainly through sheer good luck.

I see that IBM's new desktop system are dirt cheap for what they (theoretically) deliver but I still reckon you'll be better off following the Roll-Your(Someone-Else's)-Own route as I described above.
    8ftsq
    RE: Amd anthalon? 2004/11/04 22:45:34 (permalink)
    Just saw your post Rev.Jem.I was thinking I could spend between $600-$800 US,but I may be able to bend that a little.I have the same sound card(2496).I really like it. I was using your stuff as an example when I did a search a little while ago.I'm using a p3 500 now,so I'm sure your system would be like warp drive to me!
    Rev. Jem
    RE: Amd anthalon? 2004/11/04 22:53:26 (permalink)
    ... I have the same sound card(2496) ... I'm using a p3 500 now

Quite a coincidence - my upgrade last month was from a PIII 500 !

Yes, my new system is quieter, faster & capable of a lot more if I tweak the BIOS settings. I'm leaving it at its default settings for a while so I can just do some music.
    8ftsq
    RE: Amd anthalon? 2004/11/04 22:57:51 (permalink)
    It's seeming like there is not that much difference in price between the name brand and the custom stuff,at least for what I seem to need.I'll research this stuff and bring back a list /system plan.If you guys don't mind you can critique it for me before I drop the chabos on it.I appreciate all the help with my noobie questions guys.

Frank
    8ftsq
    RE: Amd anthalon? 2004/11/04 23:03:39 (permalink)
    Yeah, I hear that.I keep dreaming of this awesome system that I can just sit down at and record.(I wonder if they make a chip that can make me write hit songs[sm=lol.gif].
    Rev. Jem
    RE: Amd anthalon? 2004/11/04 23:10:57 (permalink)
    The one with the big red button labeled "Talent" ?
    rolo95
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1607
    RE: Amd anthalon? 2004/11/05 11:12:56 (permalink)
    i have an athlon xp 2400+ on an old VIA KM266 Chipset based Gigabyte board
    and have no problems wathosever... i hear that stay away form via chipsets but dont have any problems with mine...maybe its a old via chipset...SDRAM based not DDR...but works rock solid...

and i recomend definetly AMD CHIPS..... they rocks.... only one problem AMD tends to run HOTTER than INTEL P4 so... buy a good cooler....the ones of 80mm types..... also makes less noise.... dont cut corners on a good CPU cooler...and use ARTIC SILVER thermal compund it rocks.... to bring down some 8- 10 degrees to the CPU.....

and for hard drives RAPTOR hard drives rocks.....10,000 RPMs......
    Greets
    < Message edited by rolo95 -- 11/5/2004 10:21:00 AM >

-----------------------------------------------------
    THERE IS NO POWER Without KNOWLEDGE !!!
    -----------------------------------------------------
    ohhey
    RE: Amd anthalon? 2004/11/05 11:59:57 (permalink)

Thanks for the info ohhey.This PC will be just for music.No games or internet.As far as the dual head card ,I'm using Home studio 2 xl now,and I thought I read somewhere that it didn't have dual monitor support,but I'm not sure.I think Reason does however,so I will definately consider that option.
    I just found a site called monarch computers that builds pc's for you.The prices aren't as high as I thought.I'm going to read as much as I can around here as to what everyone is using,and start pricing it all out.

You can use Sonar 2XL with two monitors just fine. I'm running 2.2 with mine. I just streach the main Sonar window to fill both monitors and then position the track view on one side and the console view on the other. You can undock windows from the main window but the only problem with that is that they don't come back when you open a saved project. If you use the streach the window method things look just like you left them. You can also run Sonar on one screen and your sound card control panel and plugin interfaces on the other. This is handy if your sound card has a mixer application for monitoring.

Monarch is a good vendor that is where I got my Matrox P650 dual card. They also have a great selection of products.
    HammerHead
    Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1403
    RE: Amd anthalon? 2004/11/05 15:06:35 (permalink)

Hi all,
    I'm looking to upgrade my PC situation.I was wondering how many of you are using AMD processors and what your experiences with them have been?I'm also looking at P4 PC's,but I'm trying to keep costs down to afford some other items.I'll be running Reason through rewire also.I do mostly guitar based rock so it wont be too synth heavy or anything.Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.Thanks.

Frank

running smooth & stable here ...

Athlon XP 2800+
    Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
    2 x 7200rpm IDE hard drives
    2 x 7200rpm SATA hard drives
    1GB 3200 Ram
    SP3.1
    Win2k (tweaked)
    m-audio 1010lt
    Thomas Campitelli
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 598
    RE: Amd anthalon? 2004/11/07 17:15:55 (permalink)
    I know that specific models of motherboards,hard drives,etc.,are probably going to be a matter of personal opinion, but could you guys give me a rough idea of what I should be looking for?
    If anyone could direct me to any sites where I could buy the components,and maybe that would assemble it,Id appreciate it.

If you are going AMD and want to save money, I recommend getting an Athlon XP. Look for the "Barton" processor core in the description and model numbers of 2500+ or higher. I recommend buying a retail instead of OEM processor. Retail processors come with a fan, heatsink, and instructions. Right now, the Athlon XPs are some of the best values in processor land. Motherboards for them are also pretty cheap anymore.

I recommend ASUS boards and nForce2 chipsets. This is not because they are perfect. In fact, they are far from it. However, ASUS boards come with excellent documentation. This is invaluable for a first time builder. ASUS is one of the largest manufacturers and lots of people use their stuff. It is realtively easy to get support. from folks on the web because of that. nVidia chipsets have proven themselves to be stable and good for audio work. Try something like an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe. Or an Abit NF7-S2.

With both these boards, stay far away from Serial ATA hard drives, however. They will introduce nasty pops and clicks into the audio. Stick to normal IDE drives only. I've had mixed results with the ASUS Deluxe boards. It may be worthwhile to step down a notch and get the A7N8X-X. Fewer bells and whistles to clog up the PCI bus. Check out www.newegg.com for a place to order. Check out www.arstechinca.com for advice on system componenents.

Thomas Campitelli
    http://www.crysknifeband.com
    Rev. Jem
    RE: Amd anthalon? 2004/11/07 20:19:04 (permalink)
    It may be worthwhile to step down a notch and get the A7N8X-X. Fewer bells and whistles to clog up the PCI bus.

Very true - just note that the -X has no DDR RAM Dual Channel facility,
    8ftsq
    RE: Amd anthalon? 2004/11/07 20:55:40 (permalink)
    Well, I've been investigating all this stuff all day today,and here is what I've come up with so far.I configured the following systems online at Monarch,HP,and circuit city:(Man does my head hurt from this )

Monarch- $751 US
    ATX case with 350w psu
    ASUS a7nx8-deluxe board
    Athlon xp 3000+ barton
    512 ddr2700 corsair ram
    40gb & 160gb hard drives
    ASUS cd-rw drive

Hp site- $584 w/rebates
    250 w psu
    Asus a7n8x-la board (via km400a chipset)
    Athlon xp 3200
    512 pc2700 ram
    160gb u-dma drive
    cd-rw drive
    integrated video and sound

Circiut city- $599 w/ rebates
    Basically the same HP unit but with a A7v8z-la board (Same chip)

My questions are:
    Is there a big difference in these motherboards I should be concerned with?The monarch is the highest price(it does have 2 drives, but still more $ ).How critical is the difference in the psu wattages?

As far as the integrated sound I will disable that.I have an m-audio 2496.I also plan on updating the video card as soon as I can afford a dual head card and a second monitor.

Thanks for any and all input guys.

Frank
    _Roll_N_Rock
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 43
    RE: Amd anthalon? 2004/11/07 21:07:06 (permalink)
    I am running
    Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
    3200+
    2x 7200RPM IDE HDs
    512 Mb Ram (1gig soon)
    GeForce 5200 128mb video
    Plus DVD burner etc.

Runs great for a all around PC+used for basic recording with a m-audio 2496

My opinion

I would recommend buying either parts or a barebone in your price range.
    You would get more for your money then buying a HP or dell of the counter.

Building or adding parts to a PC now is as simple as turning a screw or two and plugging it all in. It is not rocket science, trust me if I can do it anyone can. If you need help search the web or come back here with questions.

I also recommend you go mid line (not top of the line) to get more for your money.
    Stay with good name parts and you should be fine with support, compatability and drivers.

Just an example (or opinion) I talked to my brother before he went shopping for a new pc and told him what I recommended. He got half the pc off the shelf at staples that I put together in a few hours and he paid atleast double for it.

Also check around for local computer shows. If you buy there often the vendor will put it all together for you while you wait for little or no charge.

Here is a (first thought) nice place to look that has nice barebones systems and they are good to deal with.

http://www.ecollegepc.com

Hope this helps some..

Good luck
    < Message edited by _Roll_N_Rock -- 11/7/2004 9:16:26 PM >

These things that are pleasin’ you...
    Can hurt you somehow!
    Thomas Campitelli
    RE: Amd anthalon? 2004/11/07 21:32:45 (permalink)
    Hp site- $584 w/rebates
    250 w psu
    Asus a7n8x-la board (via km400a chipset)

That power supply wattage is a bit low by today's standards. You probably would not run into trouble, but I would recommend 300 watts or more. Also, there is no way you would find a Via chipset in an A7N8X series board. The "N" in the model name represents nVidia. The HP probably has an A7V8X board. Confusing, eh? Model names are a real pain in the arse. Also, beware the integrated video. Integrated sound is fine and comes with almost everything. If you have integrated video make sure that they also provide an AGP slot in case you want a better video card in the future.

Thomas Campitelli
    Thomas Campitelli
    RE: Amd anthalon? 2004/11/07 21:37:17 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Rev. Jem
    Very true - just note that the -X has no DDR RAM Dual Channel facility,

Good point. While Dual Channel doesn't do as much if you don't have an integrated video card, it still provides a speed boost. Another thing to watch out for in the OEM computers is shared memory. That is, your video card uses the system's RAM instead of its own. Once again, it's not critical, but it is something that can slow things down.

Thomas Campitelli
    _Roll_N_Rock
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 43
    RE: Amd anthalon? 2004/11/07 21:42:14 (permalink)
    That power supply wattage is a bit low by today's standards. You probably would not run into trouble, but I would recommend 300 watts or more. Also, there is no way you would find a Via chipset in an A7N8X series board. The "N" in the model name represents nVidia.

I agree you want 300-350 watts or more.

The "N" is what I would look for.(if it was me)
    I think the nvidia chip sets rock but thats just me.

These things that are pleasin’ you...
    Can hurt you somehow!
    daverich
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3418
    RE: Amd anthalon? 2004/11/08 07:08:36 (permalink)
    i would recommend the MSI K8n neo plat motherboard and the 3200 athlon64. Killer setup and a very good price - best bang per buck around in my opinion.

VERY easy to setup too. - just be careful when putting in the processor to not damage the pins - they are very delicate.

Kind regards

Dave Rich.

For Sale - 10.5x7ft Whisperroom recording booth.

http://www.daverichband.com
    http://www.soundclick.com/daverich
    8ftsq
    RE: Amd anthalon? 2004/11/09 18:32:32 (permalink)
    Hey guys,here's what I'm thinking about getting NOW!(gear lust has taken over,and my original plans at basically upgrading a little have morphed into the quest for more and more PC horsepower...mmmwwwaaahhhaaahhhaaa!!!

Athlon xp 3200 barton 400mhz $700 us
    Asus a7n8x-e deluxe
    1 gig ram
    80 gb hd
    160 gb hd
    cd/rw

-OR-

The same set up with an athlon64 3200 and a Kn8 motherboard. $850 us

Is there a difference I would notice for the 64 bit processor set up,versus the cost? (I'm cutting into my acoustic guitar budget at this point)Is this dependant on what software I'm using?This is probably overkill isn't it .Somebody PLEASE stop me!

Thanks again to everybody for there input.I've learned an amazing amount about computers in the last copule of days thanks to you guys.Thanks also to _roll_n_rock for the link to ecollagepc.com. There prices seem to be the best.
    daverich
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3418
    RE: Amd anthalon? 2004/11/10 04:37:27 (permalink)

Is there a difference I would notice for the 64 bit processor set up,versus the cost?

yes. you'll see better performance at lower latencies. - also you'll be able to run windows 64bit when it arrives for a further boost in performance.

also the MSI motherboard isn't prone to the SATA problems of the asus (the sata bus isn't on the pci bus on the msi)

Kind regards

Dave Rich.

For Sale - 10.5x7ft Whisperroom recording booth.

http://www.daverichband.com
    http://www.soundclick.com/daverich
    8ftsq
    RE: Amd anthalon? 2004/11/10 20:11:44 (permalink)
    Thanks Dave.I'm going to think all this over and hopefully in the next 2 weeks I'll make my purchase.

I stumbled across a thread in the sonar forum with a test song (sonartest? I think) that was pretty informative also.It seems the athlons 64's were doing very well.I might bite the bullet and go for that set up,but I'm not sure if I yet.

Frank
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1