Amp modeling/ guitar fx recommendations?

Author
Michael Five
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 366
2008/12/22 05:05:24 (permalink)

Amp modeling/ guitar fx recommendations?

OK, I'm taking the plunge into the world of simulated amps and such. I have nigel, but which one really rules, and is it good for bass, too? In particular, I'd really like to get the sound of that tweedy looking blonde thing keith richards mikes up on stage.

All opinions, advice, pointers, and pithy maxims are welcome. Sorry I cannot donate any money.

20 Replies Related Threads

35mm
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1105
    RE: Amp modeling/ guitar fx recommendations? 2008/12/22 05:21:40 (permalink)
    Native Instruments Guitar Rig. Although I have my own "real" amps and stomp boxes etc, I was very impressed with Guitar Rig. It's also great for bass, and makes a great FX rack for other stuff too. A light version is included with Sonar 8 Producer, but the full version has a lot more. It has Tweeds, and most other famous amps, cabs, mics, stomp boxes etc. One of the great things about it is that you can design your own guitar rig, and say, have a huge stack of Marshals that would otherwise fill a truck, or mix a load of amps in a stereo setup.
    guitartrek
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    RE: Amp modeling/ guitar fx recommendations? 2008/12/22 08:40:42 (permalink)
    Amplitude and Revalver are also excellent. There are going to be a lot of different opinions about each of these, but a lot of people love them and I think they both sound top notch. Many of the really good ones just sound great and it is hard to tell which one is really better. I sure can't. So I look at the features and user interface - how easy is it to work with.

I'm sticking with the Line6 Pod Farm / Gear Box for now. They have been at it for quite some time and have tons of models. And not just of guitar and bass amps, but famous mic pre's and compressors for vocal processing. And of course a myriad of stomp boxes also. I use a Pod X3 so I can monitor my guitar outside the CPU and then transfer programs between the X3 and Pod Farm. Line6's software / hardware integration is very well written and user friendly. I use their stuff for all my vocal processing too. It is a great package and very easy to work with. The only downfall of the Line6 stuff is the hardware dongle. I don't have an issue with it, but some might. If you buy Pod Farm, you can get the ilok compatible version which requires a small USB "key" for $40. Or if you have any line6 hardware (toneport, pod, etc) you already have the dongle.

Yes - you can get that tweed sound you are looking for from the Pod Farm. I would think you can get it with Revalver and Amplitude as well.
    Jim Roseberry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9871
    RE: Amp modeling/ guitar fx recommendations? 2008/12/22 08:54:10 (permalink)
    OK, I'm taking the plunge into the world of simulated amps and such. I have nigel, but which one really rules, and is it good for bass, too? In particular, I'd really like to get the sound of that tweedy looking blonde thing keith richards mikes up on stage.

How picky are you with guitar tone?
    If you're hyper choosy about having THE perfect guitar tone, then you might not be fully satisfied with any AmpSim.
    Having said that, any of the popular choices (Amplitube 2, Waves GTR, Pod Farm, Guitar Rig 3, etc) can sound "pretty good" to "very good".

Of particular importance is your DI signal chain.
    Using a standard line input for the guitar will result in the dull/lifeless sound.
    A proper (Hi-Z) DI goes a long way toward making sure the final AmpSim results sound good.
    If you'll be doing a lot of DI guitar/bass tracks, consider getting something like the Reddi box (Tube DI) from A-designs.

Regarding Bass AmpSims; Ampeg SVX is currently the best option available.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    RE: Amp modeling/ guitar fx recommendations? 2008/12/22 09:34:29 (permalink)
    "If you'll be doing a lot of DI guitar/bass tracks, consider getting something like the Reddi box (Tube DI) from A-designs."

+1

I've been using a Great River MP-2NV or a Chandler TG-2 for my experiments with Guitar Rig... I think a good front end really helps. A lot of times after fooling with the "rig" I bypass it and realize that the dry clean track sounds pretty darn good.

That's not so easy to do have happen with just any old direct box.

best regards,
    mike

CJaysMusic
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Amp modeling/ guitar fx recommendations? 2008/12/22 10:05:31 (permalink)
    I would not trade any of my outboard amp simulators for any of the VSTi amp sims. I love my Boss-GS-10 and my PODPro. Theres no dealing with latency and theres absolutely no CPU hit. Its a win win situation.
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    space_cowboy
    • Total Posts : 9813
    RE: Amp modeling/ guitar fx recommendations? 2008/12/22 11:04:37 (permalink)
    I own a bunch of this stuff
    11 real amps
    and many of the amp sims out there, including
    Amplitube 2
    Guitar Rig 3
    Revalver MK Iv (or whatever the latest is called)
    Pod Farm (Pod X3)
    Nigel
    And whatever comes stock with the TC Power Core

Here are my assessments

You cannot get a better sound than a decent mike on a good low wattage amp.
    Amplitube - Unstable in Sonar if you loop through a part over and over, but workable if you play from start to finish without a stop. X Gear alleviates some of these problems, but still A2 is the most prone to crashes of the ones I own.
    Guitar Rig 3 - the easiest to configure, the greatest arsenal of effects, but a relatively thin sound - particularly on clean stuff.
    Revalver - the best of the amp sounds (to me at least). Chunky tweeds, sizzling high gains... weak in the effect department, though there is a VST host that allows you to add any effect you own.
    Pod Farm - the greatest range of models. The greatest range of effects. But it misses something in high end sparkle to me. Wonderful for metal or texas blues stuff though.
    Nigel - One of the early arrivers. Second weakest of the bunch
    TC PoCo - I don't care for it. Whatever the one that comes with the TC - it is very weak, though you can tweak tube biases and stuff. I have tried the Vintage Amp Room (3 models for a lot of money) and didn't care for it either.

I like to mix Revalver and Pod Farm for things that have 2 guitar parts. I like GR3 for the trippier wierd effects. I really like the sound of A2, but cannot use it in its current incarnation in the way that I record. I wish that UA would update Nigel with something more reasonable. After all, with 2 UAD1s and a Quad UAD2, I gots the horsepower to never have to freeze the things.

My opinion.

Oh, the plug ins sound better to me than my Vox Valvetronix does.

Best of all, a 8-10 watt amp, close mic-ed and your own stomp boxes.

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    spacey
    • Total Posts : 8769
    RE: Amp modeling/ guitar fx recommendations? 2008/12/22 13:11:07 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Michael Five

All opinions, advice, pointers, and pithy maxims are welcome. Sorry I cannot donate any money.

Michael- not to undermine anything others have said here as I respect their opinions..just my two..

Really a tuff question to me and reason being...I think most sound evaluation is obtained from people that know what is used during evaluating the sound. For example (should any choose) listen to one of mine and tell me what I used. Now that would impress me. And I don't mean guessing but a true recognized sonic character.
    I think maybe a better question is which software/hardware will work best for you and your setup...that is what makes it a tuff question to me. Free trial downloads is probably the best road for software.
    I have tried many and purchased many of the ones mentioned.

But good luck to you.
    Michael
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Amp modeling/ guitar fx recommendations? 2008/12/22 13:59:38 (permalink)
    POD2... the hardware version.

I have a really nice sounding Vox AD-30 and a vintage Mesa Boogie Studio 22 that just sings...... but I choose to record my guitar with the POD2. I bought it used on Ebay for about $140. With it, I don't have to mess with mics, room noise, or mic placement.

I think it gives me some pretty decent sounds and a wide variety of sounds & tone to choose from.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2008/12/22 14:02:31

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Michael Five
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 366
    RE: Amp modeling/ guitar fx recommendations? 2008/12/22 16:53:28 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Jim Roseberry

How picky are you with guitar tone?
    If you're hyper choosy about having THE perfect guitar tone, then you might not be fully satisfied with any AmpSim.
    Having said that, any of the popular choices (Amplitube 2, Waves GTR, Pod Farm, Guitar Rig 3, etc) can sound "pretty good" to "very good".

Of particular importance is your DI signal chain.
    Using a standard line input for the guitar will result in the dull/lifeless sound.
    A proper (Hi-Z) DI goes a long way toward making sure the final AmpSim results sound good.
    If you'll be doing a lot of DI guitar/bass tracks, consider getting something like the Reddi box (Tube DI) from A-designs.

Regarding Bass AmpSims; Ampeg SVX is currently the best option available.

Thanks everyone.

I probably don't have the ear to really distinguish between a well-done sim and the real one, but I have heard from others that the input signal is critical as Jim says here - if you don't get tht right, it won't sound even close to right. Would you think the instrument in on a ff400 would do the trick, or would you recommend investing in a dedicated DI for this?
    batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    RE: Amp modeling/ guitar fx recommendations? 2008/12/30 12:39:22 (permalink)
    i'm really digging my Palmer PDI-09, as a recording direct box/cab sim, right off my 60 tube head.
    the captured sound, is so close to my best close-miced attempts (minus the room affect, which is often the best part of micing).....
    that i've gone to just using it, for my guitar tracks, for right now....

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

SvenArne
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2719
    RE: Amp modeling/ guitar fx recommendations? 2008/12/30 15:42:25 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: space_cowboy
    Pod Farm - it misses something in high end sparkle to me.

Totally agree. I thought I was alone! Love the fx and the low CPU demand, but the guitar amp models don't quite cut it for me anymore. The reason? I tried the Revalver MKIII demo the other day and was blown away! It will be my next software purchase.

Sven
    post edited by SvenArne - 2008/12/30 15:46:51

jhughs
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1179
    RE: Amp modeling/ guitar fx recommendations? 2008/12/30 15:46:46 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: batbrew
    "i'm really digging my Palmer PDI-09, as a recording direct box/cab sim, right off my 60 tube head."

As I recall, batsbrew "60 tube head" is a Mesa Boogie. Based on what I've heard in his songs it sounds excellent (and has had me jonesing for my own Mesa Boogie ever since... maybe after the kids are through college).
    post edited by jhughs - 2008/12/30 15:50:33
    wst3
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1979
    RE: Amp modeling/ guitar fx recommendations? 2008/12/30 23:40:58 (permalink)
    this may surprise a few folks...

mostly I do prefer to stick a microphone in front of a speaker cabinet... BUT, when I need a amplifier simulator I find I turn to the Adrenalinn about 90% of the time, and on the rare occasions when that doesn't quite cut it I'm real pleased with Aura from DBAudioware (yeah, I know, they revised and renamed it, but I haven't gotten around to upgrading yet!)

-- Bill
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Amp modeling/ guitar fx recommendations? 2008/12/31 09:04:27 (permalink)
    I probably don't have the ear to really distinguish between a well-done sim and the real one

If most admitted it.... they can't either.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    wst3
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1979
    RE: Amp modeling/ guitar fx recommendations? 2008/12/31 09:18:33 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Guitarhacker
    I probably don't have the ear to really distinguish between a well-done sim and the real one

If most admitted it.... they can't either.

Not to try to tell people what they can or can not do, but I'd be surprised if the majority of guitar players really can't tell the difference. The models are good, don't get me wrong, but they have a certain "sameness" for lack of a better word, or maybe it is better to say that recording a real rig provides some additional animation or variation that distinguishes it from a model.

I love where we are in terms of technology... for a few hundred bucks I have a nearly infinite (for my present purposes anyway) rack of Urei and Neve equalizers and compressors, and a plate - all living on a PCI card in my PC. Of the bunch the plate is probably the most idealized model, and still, it sounds great. If I could afford a rack of the real deals would I use it? I don't know. If I had the space for a real plate I probably would cave and get it, but that's a slightly different animal.

And just telling the difference is not the entire question!!

I have a couple recordings where the model worked better than the real thing... it's always a matter of application.

-- Bill
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF
    Slugbaby
    Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4172
    RE: Amp modeling/ guitar fx recommendations? 2008/12/31 11:36:24 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Michael Five
    In particular, I'd really like to get the sound of that tweedy looking blonde thing keith richards mikes up on stage.

I tend to use my Boss GT-8 for outboard, but NI Guitar Rig is quite good for software...
    FYI, Keith Richard's tweedy looking thing is a Vox AC30. What you're not seeing is that it's combined with a Marshall JCM800 to give it a bit of grit. He mixes the two together for his main sound.

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    ew
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1837
    RE: Amp modeling/ guitar fx recommendations? 2008/12/31 12:19:49 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Slugbaby

FYI, Keith Richard's tweedy looking thing is a Vox AC30. What you're not seeing is that it's combined with a Marshall JCM800 to give it a bit of grit. He mixes the two together for his main sound.

Ah- no. Keith's tweedy looking thing is a very old Fender Twin.

ew
    zungle
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2745
    RE: Amp modeling/ guitar fx recommendations? 2008/12/31 20:06:40 (permalink)
    For me all modelers are fun and cool to play with................

But I Love the V-Amp Pro...... .....
    Geokauf
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 912
    RE: Amp modeling/ guitar fx recommendations? 2009/01/01 17:37:08 (permalink)
    I probably don't have the ear to really distinguish between a well-done sim and the real one, but I have heard from others that the input signal is critical as Jim says here - if you don't get tht right, it won't sound even close to right.

Hello,

I use Amplitube exclusively now as my amplifier for recording. I'm not big on tests and experiments but I did do one test that is relevant. On one side is my studio monitors (which are approximately 5 feet apart and I sit 5 feet away). To my right, approximately 5 feet away, is my beloved reissue black face ‘62 Twin Reverb guitar amp (and I do mean beloved, purchased at Carmine Street Guitars, NYC and formerly owned by the late Robert Quine of "Richard Hell and the Voidoids" fame).

I took my 1970 Arbiter Fuzz Face (also beloved, the one with the bakelite hand-wired board and huge metal can transistors) and plugged it into the Twin and into the Fuzz Face I plugged (of course) a Strat. I dialed up a nice "Jimmy"-like tone (and played a little "Manic Depression" just to make sure. That is as authentic as I can get with what I own.

Then I plugged the same Strat into my 30 year-old Sescom passive direct box and into a mic pre on my Mackie mixer. The signal was routed to a Sonar track, upon which I had inserted Amplitube. I set up Amplitube with a 100W American vintage tube amp and a 2 x 12" American speaker cab. The virtual mic I selected was the 421 (which I liked better than the 57). I then inserted the Amplitube "Fuzz Ace" (their software version of the Fuzz Face) into the first pedal slot and tried to match the sound of the real amp and fuzz.

I was able to substantially duplicate the sound of the live amp and fuzz box. It was close enough to make me smile. But you can't duplicate the actual "feel" of a guitar plugged into analog gear and a real guitar amp. To get the feeling of being plugged into Amplitube (or a POD, for that matter) get a 10 foot cable and stand at the end of it and play. That slightly "spongy" feeling can't be completely eliminated from amp sims. Even at 128 samples an outboard or software amp sim is not as "immediate" as being plugged directly into a guitar amp. While the player can feel the ever-so-light "disconnect" in amp sims it is not apparent in playback or to a listening to the amp sim being played live.

For me, at 128 samples Amplitube has no lag but it still doesn't have the "connected" feel of a guitar amp. There are times where I will boot up Sonar and load Amplitube and then wank away for 2 or 3 ours trying every different s preset and tweaks. But I still require "quality" time with one of my guitars plugged directly into the Twin.

GK
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    RE: Amp modeling/ guitar fx recommendations? 2009/01/01 19:41:41 (permalink)

I just ordered a new amp modeler:

If you look at the screen real careful like you can just barely see the silver dome factory installed JBL speaker... which, I'm hoping, will help me better model that Princeton Reverb into a JBL sound... the sound heard round the world! :-)

best regards,
    mike

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1