Amp out into line in?

Author
rambeaux
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 143
2010/10/12 19:34:41 (permalink)

Amp out into line in?

Sorry for the complete n00b question, but I couldn't find a good explanation, so I thought I'd risk embarassment and ask you folks...

What can and can't you plug into a line-level input?  Obviously, you can plug various line levels in, but what happens if you plug a powered signal in?  ...like if someone plugged a speaker cable from an amplifier in to a line in?

I'm asking because I was looking to get a line out from a guitar amp to record and I don't want to fry anything.  Someone had told me they plugged in a cable from an output from a guitar amp into the mixer, but it sounded like it was for an external cabinet (i.e. powered connection) and not the 'line out'.  That should have blown something up, shouldn't it?

Can someone explain this to me concisely?  I'm feeling really stupid...

14 Replies Related Threads

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Amp out into line in? 2010/10/12 19:48:46 (permalink)
    A powered output, like you put into a speaker, will fry a line in.  My wife did it to a bass amp once.  Fortunately it was a little practise speaker.

Read the manual.  If you don't have it and can't find it online try a speaker.  If you get a signal, then you have power and don't plug it into anything else but a speaker.

Even better, just mic the damn thing ;-)

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    timidi
    Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5449
    Re:Amp out into line in? 2010/10/12 20:08:16 (permalink)
    I use a speaker out, into a line in all the time (just to get the tubes). Just keep the volume way down on the amp (like 2).
    To do it "right", you should have a Direct box in between.

All that said, be careful.

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

rambeaux
    Re:Amp out into line in? 2010/10/12 20:15:56 (permalink)
    I almost put in a disclaimer, saying it was probably moot, since everything I've read says to mic the damn thing...  ;-)

Is the DI just a sacrificial canary in a coal mine?  ...or does it regulate it somehow?  Interesting strategy,  turning down the volume...  sounds risky.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Amp out into line in? 2010/10/12 20:34:55 (permalink)
    A DI signal is usually very sterile sounding..and stiff. The best option is to mic it. That allows the amp and speaker to really do what they do and you capture that with the mic.

A second good option is to use a simulator...software or hardware based.... I use a POD 2 hardware modeler.

I would not use a speaker output to a line in on an interface.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2010/10/12 20:36:10

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Amp out into line in? 2010/10/12 20:41:04 (permalink)
    Hopefully the input impedance of the "line in" will be so high compared to the intended speaker load that the amplifier will be somewhat held in check.

However, if you persist at any level over that which is comfortable to listen to you may actually short or melt the input circuitry.

I have never heard of anyone using a line to mic direct box on an amplifier output... they are made for a completely different purpose... but I suppose that, like the circumstance mentioned above, if you keep the levels low enough to be listenable then you can probably run one without mishap. FWIW, I can't think of any benefit to using a direct box in this circumstance... unless you are dead set on getting a "balanced" signal. There's little benefit to worrying about line noise on an amp output... so balancing offers little improvement.

That Palmer box that Batsbrew uses is actually made for what we are speaking of... I guess that's a different kind of direct box.

best regards,
    mike

Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re:Amp out into line in? 2010/10/12 21:04:33 (permalink)
    I'm asking because I was looking to get a line out from a guitar amp to record and I don't want to fry anything. Someone had told me they plugged in a cable from an output from a guitar amp into the mixer, but it sounded like it was for an external cabinet (i.e. powered connection) and not the 'line out'. That should have blown something up, shouldn't it?

To 'properly' record from the amp's speaker output, you'd want a DI box with a speaker input (like the Avalon U5). Be careful to have a load/speaker on tube amps... but this scenario works just fine.
    Then... all you're simulating ITB is the mic'd speaker cab.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    rambeaux
    Re:Amp out into line in? 2010/10/12 21:13:41 (permalink)
    Thanks, all.  I was looking for more of a circuits lesson than recording advice.  I usually use a Pod 2 for guitar, but this guy will probably turn his nose up at it, and will want to use his amp. 

I will probably just mic it, but the question came up in a monitoring situation, where we wanted to feed some of his signal into a monitor without adding another open mic to the stage.

I'm also recording in my garage, and don't want to turn the amp up to 11 (as some insist is necessary to get the right tone) if I don't have to.  A direct line would also give me isolation.
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:Amp out into line in? 2010/10/12 21:38:23 (permalink)
    OK, circuits lesson:

Amp output impedance +/- 1 ohm is nicely "matched" or bridged into a 8 ohm speaker.

If the amp puts out 25 watts into 8 ohms then you need something close to a 25 watt speaker to make it all trustworthy at full volume.

If you plug the amp with the +/- 1ohm output into a 1500ohm preamp input the amp will put out less current... I don't know how much less... If you turn the amp down to put out very few watts you may not melt the input circuitry of a preamp... but if you turn it up you probably will. I don't know how many watts your preamp can take before stuff starts melting. Usually the electronics in a solid state circuit are good to 52 volts AC or DC but their current capacity can range from really really small through small current capability.

The feature on the Avalon Jim mentions is a special purpose circuit not unlike the Palmer. I am not familiar with the specifics of it, but I imagine it has been designed with all the stuff mentioned above in mind.

best regards,
    mike

batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re:Amp out into line in? 2010/10/13 10:34:42 (permalink)
    GET THIS:

YOU'LL BE GLAD YOU DID.

i am.

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

The Maillard Reaction
    Re:Amp out into line in? 2010/10/13 14:23:53 (permalink)

GET THIS:

AND YOU"LL PROBABLY WET YOUR PANTS FROM THE THRILL OF LISTENING TO IT.

i did.

all in good fun :-)

ohhey
    • Total Posts : 11676
    Re:Amp out into line in? 2010/10/13 16:44:01 (permalink)
    rambeaux

Sorry for the complete n00b question, but I couldn't find a good explanation, so I thought I'd risk embarassment and ask you folks...

What can and can't you plug into a line-level input?  Obviously, you can plug various line levels in, but what happens if you plug a powered signal in?  ...like if someone plugged a speaker cable from an amplifier in to a line in?

I'm asking because I was looking to get a line out from a guitar amp to record and I don't want to fry anything.  Someone had told me they plugged in a cable from an output from a guitar amp into the mixer, but it sounded like it was for an external cabinet (i.e. powered connection) and not the 'line out'.  That should have blown something up, shouldn't it?

Can someone explain this to me concisely?  I'm feeling really stupid...

We all had to ask at one time or another.. nothing wrong with that. I wish I had been able to hop on the internet and ask back when I was a teen, I killed an amp head by attaching too many speakers in parallel till the ohm load got down to near a dead short.  It lasted one set and something just poped.

Anyway you can't plug a speaker level output from an amp into a line input. Here is a cheap little box that will let you do it and will also emulate the speaker cab... kinda cool.

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/253882.html
    johnnyV
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2677
    Re:Amp out into line in? 2010/10/13 21:09:48 (permalink)
    Who just said they plug a speaker output into a line in??? I guess if you want distortion that's one sure fired way to get it!
    And I'm also blown away by the suggestion of a DI box on a speaker output.

It is called a DI box because it takes the hi impedance, low voltage direct signal from the guitar/bass/keyboard and splits it off to the amp directly and to the PA as a converted signal ( via a transformer)  to become a  balanced signal. A speaker load would probably fry that box shown in the picture.
    There are special boxes made for taking a hi voltage speaker loads but they are not called DI boxes they are called Speaker output  to balance line converters. A DI box  gives you the sound without the amp. A speaker converter box gives you the sound of the amp. A good one will set you back more than a good mike so they are not very common. Radial makes the best DI's etc.
    I've never seen the back of an amp that was not clearly marked  Speaker out.  
    or Line out or Send or etc.
    For recording if your amp has a line out then try it, it might be excellent, I have one on my custom Fender Princeton and it sounds almost as good as a mike, but the tech who put it there knows his stuff. I would need a power soak if I disabled the speaker. My reason for using it is I can blast the studio monitors while tracking without leakage. Another solution is put a speaker cabinet in another room with a long speaker extension cable. Disable the amps speaker.

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
     Scarlett 6i6
    Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
    Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
    Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
    Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
    i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
    Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

timidi
    Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5449
    Re:Amp out into line in? 2010/10/13 22:27:45 (permalink)
    Who just said they plug a speaker output into a line in???

I did.
    works great.

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

The Maillard Reaction
    Re:Amp out into line in? 2010/10/14 07:43:29 (permalink)
    FWIW, I explained the parameters that must be observed to allow you do so without mishap in a post above.

But I have to admit, if you did it in my room... I'd probably just scratch my head and wonder why.

all the best,
    mike

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1