Amplitube vs Guitar Rig

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
RE: Amplitube vs Guitar Rig 2007/04/18 13:28:18 (permalink)
Fro both GR2 and AT2, note that they have high-resolution/oversampling options. Enabling thest makes a HUGE improvement in terms of tone with distortion-based models, although the CPU hit is a lot bigger.
barlowjam
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 304
RE: Amplitube vs Guitar Rig 2007/04/18 14:24:26 (permalink)
post edited by barlowjam - 2007/08/01 23:02:17
ivanh3
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 33
RE: Amplitube vs Guitar Rig 2007/04/18 21:50:10 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: barlowjam

I just saw the John Scofield Trio live in Boulder and he was using a bunch of stomp boxes (if he keeps practicing he's gonna be good)

My wife is from Boulder and I am from Denver, we live in Atlanta now. Used to help run an afterhours place called Hogbutler.

Don't get the guitarport if you are looking to use it for any kind of live purpose. It needs a computer to set parameters. It only has a volume knob and that is it. The XT is ok, I think they all use the exact same models. You could probably find something cheap on E-BAY. You will find that running through a tube amp with a bit of volume and a mic will sound pretty good. Direct to tape it will sound ok but very cold and thin no matter how much you eq it, especially the clean stuff. It will also kill the tone of your guitar. That has to be one of the biggest drawbacks of direct recording. It turns any expensive guitar into the bobo version.

Ivan

Sonar Platinum, Pro Tools, Reaper
Behringer X32 
Windows 10, I7-3770k, 32 GB ram

"You can't fight in here...This is the war room!"
DigiDis
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 170
RE: Amplitube vs Guitar Rig 2007/04/19 01:26:21 (permalink)
Direct to tape it will sound ok but very cold and thin no matter how much you eq it, especially the clean stuff. It will also kill the tone of your guitar. That has to be one of the biggest drawbacks of direct recording. It turns any expensive guitar into the bobo version.

Ivan

That's just not true. You would be surprised at how much of today's music is recorded DI with a POD. Secondly, I have heard many mic'ed attempts from inexperienced people that sounded much worse than what a POD can deliver. The take home message is this: unless one truly is a master of mic'ing amp cabinets for quality recordings, one may have better results with a DI box like the POD or Tonelab.

As for turning expensive guitars into the bobo versions, that has more to do with the guitarist than anything else.
ivanh3
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 33
RE: Amplitube vs Guitar Rig 2007/04/19 10:03:58 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: DigiDis

Direct to tape it will sound ok but very cold and thin no matter how much you eq it, especially the clean stuff. It will also kill the tone of your guitar. That has to be one of the biggest drawbacks of direct recording. It turns any expensive guitar into the bobo version.

Ivan

That's just not true. You would be surprised at how much of today's music is recorded DI with a POD. Secondly, I have heard many mic'ed attempts from inexperienced people that sounded much worse than what a POD can deliver. The take home message is this: unless one truly is a master of mic'ing amp cabinets for quality recordings, one may have better results with a DI box like the POD or Tonelab.

As for turning expensive guitars into the bobo versions, that has more to do with the guitarist than anything else.

No, I would not be surprised at how much of todays music is recorded in this manner because look at how much of todays music sounds colder and thinner. If it you are referring to professionally mixed music where the intent is to sound like a real mic'd amp you can make a safe bet that it was recorded with Line 6 Amp farm (Only available in Pro Tools TDM format I think. It is a 600 dollar program) on a full on Pro Tools HD system by a pro producer/engineer. Please don't miss my point. I am talking about one versus the other yes, but they both sound good. Look at Judith by A Perfect Circle. I am pretty sure that guitar was recorded with Line 6 Amp Farm It sounds great, no doubt. If that is the tone you want no problem. Some music calls for a direct colder and harsher sound. Look at early industrial music. It was FILLED with that sound and it rocked! Everyone's idea of tone is subjective, that is what makes it so great. But to my ears, it sounds colder and thinner, and I will stand by that.

Some people get great sounds by mixing the direct signal with a mic'd source. I have heard amazing sounds using that technique. Once again, not against direct, modeled sounds. I use them everyday.

And you do not have to be "master of micing" to get great sounds when it comes to micing an amp. It is just a matter of getting a decent mike (SM 57 works great, 99 dollars, Sennheiser MD421 $350 works better if you have that kind of dough) It does take a little practice and experimenting with EQ which is one of the joys of recording! You might need to be a "master" to get to the Rick Rubin level of making Chad Smiths drums sound tremendous with just 4 mics and a room in a mansion, but for the rest of us we can make solid recordings with some practice and patience.

And as far the expensive guitar part goes, you are right, it is the guitarist as they decide what to play through. But anytime you add processing to the signal chain you take away from the guitar tone. That is not even direct vs mic, when you add stomp boxes and multi effect units thats the price. I think that one reason why so many effects these days are offering true bypass: less noise and signal degradation. I am not preaching against effects, I love em, use em alot.
post edited by ivanh3 - 2007/04/19 10:09:29

Sonar Platinum, Pro Tools, Reaper
Behringer X32 
Windows 10, I7-3770k, 32 GB ram

"You can't fight in here...This is the war room!"
Gabriel_S
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 64
RE: Amplitube vs Guitar Rig 2007/04/19 10:43:49 (permalink)
Hmmmm, I've read this question in so many different threads already. Bottom line is this. I have GR2, Amp2, and Line 6 UX2.

GR2 = effects, effects and more effects. If you're an effects junkie, this is for you! If you have the Rig Kontrol Pedal and a laptop you can take your recorded sounds to the stage. Very nice and stable!

Amp2 = very realistic sounding models. Much more precise sounding than Line 6. Nice presets right out of the box, crashes much too often either as a standalone or with a Host. As a standalone it's too scary to use live with all the crashes. As nice as it sounds I've stopped using it for the time being.

Line 6 = has fallen far behind the competition. Cheap mans simulator IMO. Losing Market Share to it's competitors.
post edited by Gabriel_S - 2007/04/19 10:48:11
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1