• Total Posts : 304
2007/03/18 22:32:35 (permalink)

Amplitube vs Guitar Rig

post edited by barlowjam - 2007/08/01 23:00:21

65 Replies Related Threads

Ognis
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5129
    RE: Amplitube vs Guitar Rig 2007/03/18 22:41:09 (permalink)
    I'm not a guitar player, but all my friends are, and I do have a guitar here. I bought Guitar Rig a while back, and my friends chiped in to buy Amplitube recently, so they can lay stuff downb over here. After using both, I'd say that Amplitube sounds more realistic out of the box. Yet, Guitar Rig is far more customizable, and has the way out there stuff, plus the regular stuff. So, if you have the extra time to set up your own rigs in GR, go for it. If you want to just pick a style and start playing, I'd go Amplitube. But, again, I'm not a guitar player, just a drummer. I'm just letting you know my opinion because I have both.
    Kangotwang
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 170
    RE: Amplitube vs Guitar Rig 2007/03/19 01:34:01 (permalink)
    I have both of them plus Chrome Tone and Line 6 and even a fender twin amp. Just like the real thing and any other synth one is better at some things and the other is better at others. Amplitube is heavily targeted at rock and sounds pretty good at it but for jazz I use guitar rig.

It's not what you do, It's why you do it.
    Rockitglider
    • Total Posts : 172
    RE: Amplitube vs Guitar Rig 2007/03/19 05:59:10 (permalink)
    Hello,

I tried both Demo's, and I think Guitar Rig is too complicated, so I bought Amplitube 2 the price was right too, and I thought it sounded better too. Only problem I have is it crashes Sonar PE6 all the time, I've reinstalled everything and still have problems. I guess my next attempt is to go to WDM drivers instead of ASIO. Don't mean to hijack the thread, but if anyone has any suggestions to get it to work, I'd love to hear them. Thanks.

Rockitglider

"You Teach Best What You Most Need To Learn" Richard Bach, "Illusions"
    movado242
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 64
    RE: Amplitube vs Guitar Rig 2007/03/19 07:54:50 (permalink)
    Ive tried them both and they are good for somethings...but i always find myself migrating back to my Vox Valvetronix....
    RandySeed
    • Total Posts : 62
    RE: Amplitube vs Guitar Rig 2007/03/19 09:16:09 (permalink)
    I have Amplitube2. I really like its sound. I play a Telecaster and I get a nice warm earthy wood sound and clean country twang. I've never used Guitar Rig.

But I have frequent crashes in Sonar PE. The error that pops up names Amplitube as the culprit. The crashes are intermittent and very hard to pin down but I think it occurs more when I have looping turned on. I've got a support ticket open with IK Multimedia but they haven't a clue and claim they can't reproduce the error.

For now, I'm living with it by hitting the save button often.
    barlowjam
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    RE: Amplitube vs Guitar Rig 2007/03/20 13:03:26 (permalink)
    post edited by barlowjam - 2007/08/01 23:00:40
    Gavin
    • Total Posts : 183
    RE: Amplitube vs Guitar Rig 2007/03/20 13:14:35 (permalink)
    REVALVER!!!!!

mmarsh
    • Total Posts : 155
    RE: Amplitube vs Guitar Rig 2007/03/20 13:57:55 (permalink)
    I've used a bunch of guitar stuff for recording. I own Waves GTR 2.0 which sounds amazing but it is *very* difficult to use because of the dongle and copy pretection. I never got it to work in Sonar as a VST but when they released their VST-DXi registration doo-hickey it worked. Then I went to Vista and it doesn't work at all. If you want to sit down, plug in and play, this ain't the stuff: total buzz-kill to have to dick around with the dongle and the weird VST stuff.

I downloaded the Guitar Rig 2 demo and used it a lot and loved it. I'm thinking of selling GTR and buying Guitar Rig (GR). GR is a little edgier sounding to my ears, and just as flexible as GTR.

I upgraded to full Revalver from SE and I think it is only so-so. Too mid-rangy and very few effects. Control is ackward, too. But for $59.00, not too bad as long as you bury things in a mix. I wouldn't use it for an up-front guitar sound.

I also have JamLab and the DT Player stuff. Cute, but not great sounding. All those pedals are cool on soft synths though!

Never used the Line stuff...
    mmarsh
    • Total Posts : 155
    RE: Amplitube vs Guitar Rig 2007/03/20 13:59:24 (permalink)
    Sorry about the spelling in that last post...

Mike
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    RE: Amplitube vs Guitar Rig 2007/03/20 14:40:49 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: mmarsh

I upgraded to full Revalver from SE and I think it is only so-so. Too mid-rangy and very few effects. Control is ackward, too. But for $59.00, not too bad as long as you bury things in a mix. I wouldn't use it for an up-front guitar sound.

Have you demoed the new ReValver Mk II?
    coldsteal2
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 741
    RE: Amplitube vs Guitar Rig 2007/03/20 16:05:35 (permalink)
    PODXT!!!!!!!!!!! hands down
    Ognis
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5129
    RE: Amplitube vs Guitar Rig 2007/03/20 17:20:37 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Rockitglider

Hello,

I tried both Demo's, and I think Guitar Rig is too complicated, so I bought Amplitube 2 the price was right too, and I thought it sounded better too. Only problem I have is it crashes Sonar PE6 all the time, I've reinstalled everything and still have problems. I guess my next attempt is to go to WDM drivers instead of ASIO. Don't mean to hijack the thread, but if anyone has any suggestions to get it to work, I'd love to hear them. Thanks.

Rockitglider

Amplitube 2.1 works fine here, both under WDM and ASIO drivers - Using Sonar 6.2, and M-Audio Delta 1010lt. To be honest, I've never had crash one with it (or GR)
    axe
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 733
    RE: Amplitube vs Guitar Rig 2007/03/20 17:49:27 (permalink)
    Guitar Rig vs Amplitube is sort of an apples and oranges comparison as they sort of do different things.

If you are looking for Plug-ins then Amplitube 2, Guitar Rig 2 and Revalver MKII are all pretty amazing in their own ways.

If you need a hardware box to take gigging then Line 6 is about the only ticket but their Plug-in is not even remotely competitive with the others right now. I would think they are due for some new technology here. Others are going much deeper by modeling various parts of the amplifier and with better algorithms and it shows in the tone you can get.

If your interest is primarily the pure amp tone then Amplitube 2 has the best classic tone to me. It really does a great job of capturing that tube sound.

Revalver MKII is pretty complex but its high gain tone stood out to me running through the presets, it was very heavy and very articulate.

Guitar Rig 2 is simply insane, I am not real hot on the amp models but you can construct some very different stuff and we would all like to be different right They also have a promo going right now that is tempting me - must resist G.A.S.

Bottom line is that you can make some great music with any of these it's what motivates you that matters. All have a demo other than Line 6.

AXE

Jim Kalinowski
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 296
    RE: Amplitube vs Guitar Rig 2007/03/20 21:24:48 (permalink)
    I demoed Amplitude 2 and bought the software only version of GR 2.0. Amplitude seemed to be a little thin to my ears. Humbuckers always sounded like single coils. GR is amazingly flexible, which also means there's quite a learning curve. In the end I've found it easier to dial in the tone I was looking for using GR and have no regrets.

GR does have a great Roland JC120 model.
    barlowjam
    RE: Amplitube vs Guitar Rig 2007/03/24 13:15:27 (permalink)

post edited by barlowjam - 2007/08/01 23:00:56
    bluespoet
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 35
    RE: Amplitube vs Guitar Rig 2007/03/24 14:19:43 (permalink)
    Most of this stuff is so open to opinion, tweaking it to your ears and then how does it sit in the mix?
    You probably aware years ago that many studio guitarists used a cheap yamaha classical guitar for nylon string work.
    When you hear it live it sounds like Kaka, but the fact that thin cheap sound worked great in the context of a mix.
    I am a guitar player, but when I bring someone in to play guitar, he works, he has made this huge sound, that rings to the moon
    and then I thin it out so it will sit in the mix, soloed it sounds terrible, but you have to allow the other instruments contribute to the sound
    or if everything sounds huge, you will have a dull mushy sound.
    So my friends if you solo any of these instruments you may feel that they are deficient in sound, but when recorded may be the Cat's meow
    Gavin
    • Total Posts : 183
    RE: Amplitube vs Guitar Rig 2007/03/24 14:37:38 (permalink)
    As a metal player, amplitube and GR sound like total baws.

I did this with Revalver and Guitar Suite (2 tracks of each)...

http://www.upload.celtiaproductions.co.uk/uploads/enemywithin.mp3
    Tapsa
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 48
    RE: Amplitube vs Guitar Rig 2007/03/27 12:42:57 (permalink)
    This Guitars and bass in this one done with tools Sonar6PE offers and direct box and solo has my old 1978 MXR distortion+ in front.
    (Revalver le, cake amp sim, VC64, Kjaerhus classic (Freeware) eq phaser etc.)

http://ccmixter.org/people/Tapsa/Tapsa_-_2012_No_Brains_n_Full_Throttle_1.mp3

I did this partly as test after reading various "the best way to record guitars" threads

Price of the rig counting out MXR, DAW and old modded strat is less than 50 euros for behringer DI

Sonar8.5.3 Producer Battery1, B4 ,Jamsticks,Fender Strat-73, Gibson Les Paul 2008 std. VOX TonelabSE, Pile of vintage stomps, Self made tube amps Matchless and tweed deluxe clones.
    W7 prof 64 , 4G RAM, 2x300G HD ,
    HP Elitebook 8740w Core i5 2,4 GHz Western500Gig 7200rpm on ESata port, 4GigRAM
    Presonus audiobox usb.
    Cromberger
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: Amplitube vs Guitar Rig 2007/03/27 20:22:28 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: barlowjam

Hey, thanks Jim. You comments helped. I had the same impression of Amplitubes' handling of my 335's tone. A good Roland JC simulation would be perfect for a lot of what I do. I need to get something that will give me a direct option (or buy a house in the woods).

Well, it's only money. Nothin' else to loose.

(Now if I could only learn to play a min7b5 chord)

Hi, barlowjam,

First, I would ditto the comments of bluespoet. Guitar tone is entirely subjective (like all other "tone") and, a tone that sounds fantastic when soloed doesn't necessarily sit well in a dense mix.

It seems unfortunate that you would have to spend the money for an entire guitar amp emulator to get just the clean sound you are looking for. This may be blasphemy, but have you experimented very much with going directly from your guitar into your sound card? I've found that when I want a good clean sound, quite often plugging my Strat Plus directly into my Aardvark Q10 provides a very useable tone. Obviously, the straight-in tone can be further tweaked with a variety of plug-ins to get it closer to what you want to hear.

As far as getting more distorted tones, I've gotten some amazing blues tones out of the Revalver LE that comes with Sonar. I'm not talking heavy distortion (I've not tried to get this sound out of Revalver), but the mild overdrive one often associates with classic blues guitar tones. I'm a blues player, myself, (well, I *try* to be a blues player) and I own some very cool blues amplifiers, including a 1952 Fender Deluxe and a Mesa Blue Angel. Both sound fantastic when recorded, of course. But I still have to eq the recorded tone to fit into a mix. And the Revalver can make some tones that come remarkably close to the "real things". In fact, as hard as it is to believe, I've gotten tones out of the Revalver that I liked better than any of the amps I own, on certain songs.

I realize that this doesn't help you decide between Amplitube and Guitar Rig, neither of which I've used, I'm just offering my perspective on the subject. I'm also jealous that you have a 335 and I don't. I've wanted one since I started playing in 1970. I *will* get one some day......

Bill
    barlowjam
    RE: Amplitube vs Guitar Rig 2007/03/28 14:25:02 (permalink)

post edited by barlowjam - 2007/08/01 23:01:13
    ...wicked
    Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7360
    RE: Amplitube vs Guitar Rig 2007/03/28 14:43:59 (permalink)
    +1 Amplitube

I use it on lots of stuff, not just guitars. Slayer and Amplitube together were my default "fake guitar" for a while.

===========
    The Fog People
    ===========

Intel i7-4790 
    16GB RAM
    ASUS Z97 
    Roland OctaCapture
    Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
    billions VSTs, some of which work    
    Cromberger
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: Amplitube vs Guitar Rig 2007/03/28 21:25:41 (permalink)

I do like the tone I get when I run direct with just some reverb - nothing else (it's a nice guitar - gloat, gloat).

(for years I used a Roland GP-8 when playing live until it finally died).

Anyway, I've got time to decide because the next thing I am going to do is update my computer, so I can update my Cakewalk, so I can update my life...(god, will it never end).

Hi, Barlowjam,

First, you have every reason to gloat about your 335. A good one is definitely one of the great guitars, period. If I had the spare cash, I'd be out buying one right now rather than sitting in front of my computer. ;>)

I'm blown away that you had a GP-8. I bought one when it first came out, along with the FC-100 footswitch and the expression pedal. You are the first person I've come across who has actually owned a GP-8, though there must be thousands of us out there. Amazingly, my GP-8 still works fine, even after hundreds of gigs and the attendant abuse. The FC-100 bit the dust in the middle of a gig several years ago, unfortunately. Compared to today's multi-fx boxes, the GP-8 is pretty pale, but at the time it was a real godsend for me. Has some pretty good sounds, too. I still pull it out and use it occasionally and I'm always amazed at how nice it really is.

To answer your question ("God, will it ever end"), I suspect not. ;>) I think most of us on this forum will probably continue to seek the latest/greatest thing until the day we die. But I *am* disciplining myself to not upgrade my computer until 64 bit apps are stable, 64 bit drivers are available for available for various devices and quad-core (or more) processors are available. It won't be long....... ;>)

Bill
    BuleriaChk
    • Total Posts : 153
    RE: Amplitube vs Guitar Rig 2007/03/28 22:29:47 (permalink)
    I have both, and pretty much agree that they are good for different things (to be really specific here).

However, I'm having trouble with Amplitube crashing Live 6 (and Live 5). I recently purchased Revaver MkII which can be used as a VST host, in addition to its role as a VST Plugin. So I started Live, intiated and instance of Revalver, and inside of THAT I initiated Amplitube 2.1. The result was no crashes for 48 hrs (which is when I turned off my computer for awhile - everything running at max resolution, minimum latency, all normal startup services running, etc....

I also have a ticket into IK Multimedia; I'm sure it is an AT2 issue, and not my computer system or Live (since it runs everything else).....
    IK has been pretty good about communicating with me; so there will probably be a bug fix sooner or later. In any case, if you have Revalver MkII you can try this solution to use Amplitube 2.1.......:-)

ORIGINAL: RandySeed

I have Amplitube2. I really like its sound. I play a Telecaster and I get a nice warm earthy wood sound and clean country twang. I've never used Guitar Rig.

But I have frequent crashes in Sonar PE. The error that pops up names Amplitube as the culprit. The crashes are intermittent and very hard to pin down but I think it occurs more when I have looping turned on. I've got a support ticket open with IK Multimedia but they haven't a clue and claim they can't reproduce the error.

For now, I'm living with it by hitting the save button often.

"Flamenco Chuck" Keyser
    http://www.FlamencoChuck.com
     "Compas Analysis", "A Flamenco Journey", "Music Theory for Flamenco", Other Resources
    JohnrC
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 393
    RE: Amplitube vs Guitar Rig 2007/03/29 01:00:48 (permalink)

I ask from a more jazz/fusion perspective. I love the edgy type sounds but really value a full clean sound as a starting point (ala Fender twin).

Hey barlowjam, If that's what you're looking for try the GR2 demo if you haven't already: Guitar Rig 2 Native Instruments. I ended up with both. I like GR2 for clean, open sounds. Amplitube for hi-gain.

You might like the GR2 Twin (called Twang). Especially its spring reverb which I find hilariously realistic. What surprised me was that their Mesa sims on clean settings are impressive. Clean but tough. I guess. As others mentioned you might like the Roland for your style too. In fact, just to give this no end in sight, all their amps can be nice on clean settings. Vox, tweed, etc.

It's not just insane overdrive that's good about Amplitube. Subtler ones are too. But aside from the sounds, Amplitube seems really responsive to pick angle, attack, stuff like that where others get mushy and buzzy. You can see that on one hi-gain preset called Chrystal something. It's an extreme to make the point.

So far my absolute fave is layering the two.

Resigned to the fact that this madness will never end.

Edit: PS: yeah guitars and pickups make a big difference. Amazing how different two Strats were. You'll get all kinds of reactions from humbuckers, Gretsch Filtertrons, single coil...
    post edited by JohnrC - 2007/03/29 01:05:52
    artsoul
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1985
    RE: Amplitube vs Guitar Rig 2007/03/29 03:36:54 (permalink)
    wow GP8 users I had one for years and loved it (I went to a gt5 then a gt8) the reason it sounded so good is that apart from the delay and chorus it was analouge)----It was noisy though.

(I sold mine for big bucks to a guy who wanted to sound like me, even though I told him its not the gear its the fingers he offered me double the price if I didn't wipe my personal presets)
    stratcat
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 601
    RE: Amplitube vs Guitar Rig 2007/03/29 08:30:07 (permalink)
    I bought the NI Guitar Combos package which includes three combos from the Guitar Rig package ( http://www.zzounds.com/item--NINGTRCOMBOS ). I only got to play around with it a little before I started tearing my music room apart and it's now a mess (I am finishing a room in my basement to be my little studio/rehearsal room...). Initially, I was blown away by their samples, but I will admit that trying it out myself wasn't as quite impressed. But I really haven't had time to play around with it much. I will report back once I get to really work with it. I imagine there is some very good usable tones in there.

And on the 335, I love them!! But if you can get past the whole mystique of it being a Gibson, you should try the high-end Yamaha version - the SA2000, 2100 or 2200. I had an SA2000 years ago and always regretted selling it. Recently I picked up an SA2100 and it is the sweetest "gibson" type guitar I've ever played. Yamaha's high end guitars are as good as anything out there IMHO..

Stratcat
    Sonar PE 6.2.1
    P4 2.8c
    JohnrC
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 393
    RE: Amplitube vs Guitar Rig 2007/03/29 08:41:18 (permalink)
    The Fender Twang Combo came free with another NI product and I found it different from the Twang in GR2. Partly due to the different reverb, but they just seem to give different sounds when dialing around.

I prefer the GR2. You could find exactly the opposite. Point being that you might find them different (in case you're looking at both for the difference in price).
    Love Buzz
    • Total Posts : 75
    RE: Amplitube vs Guitar Rig 2007/03/29 10:28:50 (permalink)
    I have both Amplitube (1.0) and Guitar Rig 2 and Guitar Rig is far more superior. Although Amplitube has some good hard rock presets, the functionality of Guitar Rig is amazing and really not that complicated. I use the Digitech/GNX4 as well sometimes, and that is more complicated to create custom patches than Guitar Rig.

In addition, the support and tools that come with Guitar Rig are far better than Amplitube. I had some issues with Amplitube and although I sent several e-mails to Support, they were ignored. IK does have a new product called Riff Works that looks interesting, but I will never purchase from them again due to the poor customer service and on-line support.

Good luck.
    bermuda
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2271
    RE: Amplitube vs Guitar Rig 2007/03/29 10:54:41 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Love Buzz

I have both Amplitube (1.0) and Guitar Rig 2 and Guitar Rig is far more superior. Although Amplitube has some good hard rock presets, the functionality of Guitar Rig is amazing and really not that complicated. I use the Digitech/GNX4 as well sometimes, and that is more complicated to create custom patches than Guitar Rig.

In addition, the support and tools that come with Guitar Rig are far better than Amplitube. I had some issues with Amplitube and although I sent several e-mails to Support, they were ignored. IK does have a new product called Riff Works that looks interesting, but I will never purchase from them again due to the poor customer service and on-line support.

Good luck.

Amplitube 2 is a completely different beast to amplitube 1

IK Multimedia were pretty good with me when i had an issue with one of their products.

Riff Works is by Sonoma wire works ...IK are distributing it bundled with amplitube 2 live

Amplitube 2 originally require Ilok, but they have done away with that now as users (inc me) complained and would not purchase.

Yes.
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1