Amplitude with pre-recorded guitar track

Author
docgorpon
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 39
2008/05/20 17:49:58 (permalink)

Amplitude with pre-recorded guitar track

I haven't really gotten into the DI guitar thing yet. As I understand it, a program like Amplitude works best with an un-effected signal as a starting point? I have a live show recorded. The guitar is on a separate track, isolated. However, it's out of an amp. When I lay Amplitude models over it, it sounds a little funky (I assume because i'm putting it over an already balls-out, distorted track). Is this the best I can hope for without re-recording the guitars?

4 Replies Related Threads

SteveStrummerUK
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31112
    RE: Amplitude with pre-recorded guitar track 2008/05/20 19:11:22 (permalink)

Amplitube and other similar Amp simulators are generally used to distort a clean signal but the reason so many people record clean guitar in the first place is because of the options they then have later when mixing the song.

In other words, if you record a distorted guitar signal that doesn't sound quite how you wanted it for some reason, you're stuck with it.

Why do you want to distort the original signal further Sam - if it sounds OK like it is, why not use it in your mix?

Steve

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

docgorpon
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 39
    RE: Amplitude with pre-recorded guitar track 2008/05/20 22:37:32 (permalink)
    Well it doesn't sound that great to begin with. I have two tracks of the same performance... one is miked in front of the speaker and that sounds fine. The other was miked behind the speaker and is muffled. Doesn't sound terrible when blended, I suppose. But if I could make it really killer sounding it would be all the better.

PS Great avatar. I was told that Strummer was actually a fan of my band down by law. I can die happy.
    post edited by docgorpon - 2008/05/20 22:58:34
    SteveStrummerUK
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31112
    RE: Amplitude with pre-recorded guitar track 2008/05/21 03:26:32 (permalink)

Maybe you should keep the close miked guitar Sam and polish it up until you get the sound you're after - have a look at soom of the VST's in the thread I just started on Mastering and Mixing plugs

Glad you like my image of Joe there Sam, my SteveStrummer tag is also my tribute to the great man - I'm going to have to check out your band too - any free stuff to listen to on the web?

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Doc_Hollingsworth
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2289
    RE: Amplitude with pre-recorded guitar track 2008/05/21 10:59:33 (permalink)
    Docgorpon,

I have to ask. when you recorded the mike behind the cab did you phase invert the signal? If not it will definitely muddy up the signal. You can always try reamping the recorded track. This would entail feeding a line level signal out to a guitar amp and cab and then re-micing with an SM57 or the like. This will give you an opportunity to find the sweet spot in the cabinet and get a proper sound. Trying to fix it in the mix is kind of hard to do if what you have in the recording is less than stellar.

You could try using an Amp modeler but I think you'll only get back mud. But then again I could be wrong.

Doc
    MacBook Pro 15.4 Retina (mid 2015)
    Focusrite Clarett 8PreX & OctoPre
    Logic Pro X 10.2.4/Reason 9.2/Pro Tools 12.7
    Long haired dachshund - requisite studio dog (no short hairs need apply - read the sign)

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1