Helpful ReplyAmps...

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Rain
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9736
2014/04/18 00:16:48 (permalink)

Amps...

If I weren't such a boringly rational bloke, I'd think that something wants me to get that amp.

A while ago when I mentioned I was looking into little tube combos, a friend of mine suggested that I keep an eye on the new Diavlo line of amps by Randall, which Mike Fortin worked on. For whatever reason, in my mind, Randall equals good solid state amps, so I kept that in mind but didn't really thought much of it. I'm a Marshall guy at heart, it's the sound I know best how to work with.

This morning, my wife reminded me that she needed a new mic stand and I thought I remembered seeing one on sale in a Guitar Center pamphlet - and sure enough it was there, right next to a Randall amp, also on sale starting tomorrow. That's when the word "tube" caught my eye. The actual model wasn't identified, but a quick search online allowed me to identify it as one of those new Diavlo my buddy had mentioned. Or so I thought. 

Around the same time, a friend of mine made a very positive post on Facebook about his new amp - a Randall Diavlo. I started being very curious and kept on reading about it and decided that I needed to go to GC tomorrow and check them out for myself. The opportunity showed up this pm, so I did get to try it.

Turns out that it's not the Diavlo but a very similar model called RVC, exclusive to GC - which is why all my searches had lead me to the other model, this one not being advertised on Randall's own web site. After a quick verification, the only difference is the non-tolex finish and the lack of an emulated XLR.

Having more than enough DI recording options at my disposal, this really doesn't bother me much. Ultimately, all I really want is a little low wattage tube amp, preferably w/ plenty of gain, in front of which I can shove a 57. I was actually surprised to ear how much gain this little monster delivered - though, obviously, for high gain, I'd prefer to hook it up to a cab w/ a couple of 12".

But for middle of the road sound, like my favorite Tommy Bolin meets Jimmy Page kind of sound, the 10" works alright. I was actually surprised because I was expecting the amp to fail miserably the minute I'd turn down the gain. But it didn't. Nice warm sound, but very articulated, not that distant for that Marshall type of sound I like.

The other thing that worried me was the lack of proper EQ - it only has one tone knob and a 3 way "contour" switch. But I was able to get the tones I wanted pretty easily. Worst case, I could probably patch an EQ through the FX loop.

At $199 on sale, I don't think anything comes close - and it's actually well within my budget. I like it better than the Blackstar I had bought a while back - seems more versatile and has tons more gain. My mind is pretty much made up and I'm hoping to go grab one tomorrow.

post edited by Rain - 2014/04/18 00:18:22

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
michaelhanson
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3529
Re: Amps... 2014/04/18 00:39:30 (permalink)
The little 1w head kind of perks my interest.

Mike

https://soundcloud.com/michaeljhanson
https://www.facebook.com/michaeljhanson.music
iTunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/scandalous-grace/id1180730765

Platinum Lifetime, Focusrite 8i6 & 2i4, Gibson LP, ES335, Fender Strat, 4003 Rickenbacker
BMI
Rain
Re: Amps... 2014/04/18 00:57:32 (permalink)
In my mind, Randall was associated with metal and uber scooped mids - Pantera and the likes. Which also contributed to my apprehensions before I started turning the gain down. 

The quantity of gain had surprised me, but I thought this would be the end of it. I was expecting a somewhat thin, plastic-y lifeless overdriven sound and a sterile clean sound. But it does sound really nice pretty much all the way around. For me, that's actually quite a bonus, because even though my main thing is the less extreme, more classic rock type of sound, I do use high gain tones for things every now and then.

If I already had a cab, I'd probably opt for the head, but for now, the combo is my best option. Eventually, I'm getting a cab for it.

ampfixer
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5508
Re: Amps... 2014/04/18 01:19:05 (permalink)
I can't believe these companies can stay afloat selling amps for $199. Sounds like a good deal. I've been messing with low power designs for a couple months and people are REAL interested. I guess everyone is getting old. I've got a living room filled with amps and the only one I can really use is a little single ended tube amp. The two transformers cost about $150, then I have to build an amp around them.

I was just doing an online review of a Swart amplifier. It's like a champ on steroids and allows you to run multiple types of tubes. It also has reverb and a Mojotone 12" British style speaker. It's nice, but it's also $1500. I'll post a link when the review goes up.

My associates that still play out claim the bar owners are becoming very strict about noise levels. The only loud clubs are all about dance and DJ's. I guess that's where the money is. I can't imagine how much it would suck to be replaced by a kid with a record player.

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
Rain
Re: Amps... 2014/04/18 02:01:15 (permalink)
ampfixer
I can't believe these companies can stay afloat selling amps for $199. Sounds like a good deal. I've been messing with low power designs for a couple months and people are REAL interested. I guess everyone is getting old. I've got a living room filled with amps and the only one I can really use is a little single ended tube amp. The two transformers cost about $150, then I have to build an amp around them.

I was just doing an online review of a Swart amplifier. It's like a champ on steroids and allows you to run multiple types of tubes. It also has reverb and a Mojotone 12" British style speaker. It's nice, but it's also $1500. I'll post a link when the review goes up.

My associates that still play out claim the bar owners are becoming very strict about noise levels. The only loud clubs are all about dance and DJ's. I guess that's where the money is. I can't imagine how much it would suck to be replaced by a kid with a record player.

It's a rather sad period of time for old rock and rollers like myself. I guess it's why bands like Mötley Crüe and all those extravagant 80s bands are in demand - they represent an era when rock was entertaining and glamorous, and fun, before every one became so boringly PC and musicians cut their hair and started dressing up like the fellow working the pomp at Esso. No fantasy, no inspiration, no bigger-than-life act.

When I grew up, every one wanted to be Ace Frehley or Eddie Van Halen. Nowadays, who in their right mind would want to be that anonymous guy from Pearl Jam? Might as well settle down for a real job in the first place.

It doesn't surprise that so tame a culture will bow down to the wishes of the club owners. Rock musicians are in no position to argue. But maybe some day, when people have been squashed long enough, they'll be in the best place to get back in touch w/ the spirit of rebellion which defined rock and roll.

As for myself, since all I do is to record music in my humble home studio, there is no point in owning a loud amp. I only need it to be loud enough so that it sounds loud without actually being loud and alarming the entire neighbourhood. Realistically, ever since I've started recording, I've always chose little lamp. There's no way I could have driven my 59 Bassman loud enough to take advantage of it in that context. My little 15 watt Marshall was more than loud enough.

michaelhanson
Re: Amps... 2014/04/18 08:23:49 (permalink)
Rain,

I have been thinking amp head lately because I am thinking I might be able to run it through my Classic 50's speakers. It looks like the power section of the Classic plugs into the speaker portion of the cabinet. It seems like I could just unplug it and plug the head into the speakers. A guy like Ampfixer would probably now more about that. It would be nice to run something at 1w or even 5w for recording purposes.

Mike

iTunes:

Platinum Lifetime, Focusrite 8i6 & 2i4, Gibson LP, ES335, Fender Strat, 4003 Rickenbacker
BMI
kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
Re: Amps... 2014/04/18 09:08:09 (permalink)
I can't say I know much about the Randall , but I can certainly identify with how things have changed when playing out on the club scene …it has been going that way for a long time .

………………. Guitar Players are Meant to Be Seen , Not Heard ………just ask any sound man or club owner 

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

batsbrew
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re: Amps... 2014/04/18 11:10:38 (permalink)
jeff beck.

he used a vintage tweed champ to record most all of the guitar parts on his last album...

as far as capturing big sounds from a small amp:
the mic, and correct placement, is key.
the proximity effect that you can get off of a small speaker, is MORE than enough to get you that thump that you like in a great room with a big 4x12 cab pushing air...

the mic does not care how many speakers you have, when close micing.

it hears TONE, not volume.

in terms of gain:
it makes sense, for recording, to use a low watt amp...

half the magic, is from pushing air and getting speaker excursion captured by the mic..
but the other half, is the way the preamp and power amp hit a 'sweet spot' and work together for saturation and clarity at the same time..

could be, you found the perfect amp for that specific setup.

for guys that are playing clubs, it's tricky, because they have to dial their sound in at MANY different volume levels, depending on the demands of the house.

believe me, i know, i did it professionally for 6 years full time....
and at some point, i drew down on everything....
my big 4x12's went away, and i had (2) 1x12's in closed backs, that i would set up in any fashion i needed, whether it was on the floor in front of me like monitors, or behind me pointing out at the club....
and having my mesa boogie made it possible to dial in killer tones at dinner theater volumes or wide open rock clubs.

but at that time, i only had a good ole sm57 to use...

now, i have a Palmer PDI-09, which is so much more consistent, wished i had that unit way back when.

point being, for live work, versus studio recording, you really need two rigs.

at one point, i had a 5 watt tube amp for recording, but pair it up with a larger head and cabinet for live work, and that was the best of both worlds.

Blackstar has some interesting low watt amps out right now, even down to 1 watt, that MIGHT be perfect for recording, and they are cheap.

the best low watt amp i've heard yet, for my tastes, that really sounds perfect for recording, is the Suhr Corso.

but it is expensive ($999)

but no more expensive than the 1 watt marshall special editions....
point is, there are a LOT Of good options out there now...

maybe look at the Mesa TA-15
it can go down to 7 watts, up to 25.
it has a top boost channel that is one of my all time favorite tones.

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

michaelhanson
Re: Amps... 2014/04/18 12:23:41 (permalink)
I've considered buy a Webber Mass before to attenuate the volume on my 50w. The price on some of these micro amps is starting to come down to where I would just rather have one for recording and a live rig, instead of pumping the money into an attenuator and still being loud.

Mike

iTunes:

BMI
kennywtelejazz
Re: Amps... 2014/04/18 14:40:04 (permalink)
since we are talking about amps ,
I've pretty much got my amp needs covered for now …that is until I get a case of GAS for another amp 
depending on the playing situation , I use any one of these from my current amp selection ...
a few of them have been w me for over 30 years 
1966 Fender Vibrolux Reverb , 1976 Marshall 2100 50 watt 2X12 combo ..1983 Fender Super Champ 1 X10 combo ,
Marshall Class 5 combo, Fender Champ 600 , Vox Pathfinder 15 , and a Yamaha THR 5 ...
I've A B ed all of these amps various times at low volumes to  hear what works best for my living situation 
the Yamaha stacked up pretty good for copping a variety of tones 
thats the only one I feel comfortable playing in my apt ….

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

Rain
Re: Amps... 2014/04/18 14:50:53 (permalink)
batsbrew
jeff beck.

he used a vintage tweed champ to record most all of the guitar parts on his last album...

as far as capturing big sounds from a small amp:
the mic, and correct placement, is key.
the proximity effect that you can get off of a small speaker, is MORE than enough to get you that thump that you like in a great room with a big 4x12 cab pushing air...

the mic does not care how many speakers you have, when close micing.

it hears TONE, not volume.

in terms of gain:
it makes sense, for recording, to use a low watt amp...

half the magic, is from pushing air and getting speaker excursion captured by the mic..
but the other half, is the way the preamp and power amp hit a 'sweet spot' and work together for saturation and clarity at the same time..

could be, you found the perfect amp for that specific setup.

for guys that are playing clubs, it's tricky, because they have to dial their sound in at MANY different volume levels, depending on the demands of the house.

believe me, i know, i did it professionally for 6 years full time....
and at some point, i drew down on everything....
my big 4x12's went away, and i had (2) 1x12's in closed backs, that i would set up in any fashion i needed, whether it was on the floor in front of me like monitors, or behind me pointing out at the club....
and having my mesa boogie made it possible to dial in killer tones at dinner theater volumes or wide open rock clubs.

but at that time, i only had a good ole sm57 to use...

now, i have a Palmer PDI-09, which is so much more consistent, wished i had that unit way back when.

point being, for live work, versus studio recording, you really need two rigs.

at one point, i had a 5 watt tube amp for recording, but pair it up with a larger head and cabinet for live work, and that was the best of both worlds.

Blackstar has some interesting low watt amps out right now, even down to 1 watt, that MIGHT be perfect for recording, and they are cheap.

the best low watt amp i've heard yet, for my tastes, that really sounds perfect for recording, is the Suhr Corso.

but it is expensive ($999)

but no more expensive than the 1 watt marshall special editions....
point is, there are a LOT Of good options out there now...

maybe look at the Mesa TA-15
it can go down to 7 watts, up to 25.
it has a top boost channel that is one of my all time favorite tones.

One of the things I picked on early when I started trying to learn from Jimmy Page is the magic of mic placement. That being said, I don't entirely trust myself and from the clips I've heard, something didn't seem quite right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhMPdrzMAyw

But who knows, maybe I'll be able to get something that's a bit closer to the traditional big cab sound. I don't know because that isn't a type of sound I've worked with except with of amp sims. As for the rest, low wattage is indeed ideal for me.

From the reviews I've read about the similar Randall Diavlo amp, it seems that people agree that this isn't just a metal amp and that it actually sounds pretty sweet for clean and overdriven rock/blues stuff. That was also my impression, from my limited contact with it. As such, it could be the perfect solution for my needs, indeed, as it potentially covers all the type of sounds I'm likely to use.

I've had a little Blackstar HT-1 for a few days - and incidentally, MF has a Stupid Deal the little HT-1R combo, $199, same as the Randall. Considering their respective pedigrees, I would have expected the Blackstar to be a better contender for me. But the Blackstar didn't really do the high gain thing, and mine started making weird noises after a few days, so I brought it back.

If I consider similarly priced Randall's and Blackstar's, I'd have to pick Randall. The Blackstar's ISF knob really wasn't an adequate replacement for EQ. The Randall has a single tone knob and the 3-way switch, and it has an FX loop, so I can patch a Boss EQ in if I need more options. Furthermore, it does the rock thing as good as the Blackstar and does the high gain stuff a whole lot better.

My original intention was to put the money I had towards a Marshall DSL 15, because Marshall is the sound I know how to work with. But with the computer upgrade becoming more urgent every day, the Marshall would have fallen down the list in terms of priority. So if the Randall will fit the bill, for $200, it's a no-brainer. 

Rain
Re: Amps... 2014/04/18 16:08:38 (permalink)
kennywtelejazz
I've pretty much got my amp needs covered for now …that is until I get a case of GAS for another amp 
depending on the playing situation , I use any one of these from my current amp selection ...
1966 Fender Vibrolux Reverb , 1976 Marshall 2100 50 watt 2X12 combo ..1983 Fender Super Champ 1 X10 combo ,
Marshall Class 5 combo, Fender Champ 600 , Vox Pathfinder 15 , and a Yamaha THR 5 ...
I've A B ed all of these amps various times at low volumes to  hear what works best for my living situation 

Kenny

That's indeed quite a fine selection. Incidentally, I've tried a Marshall Class5 combo yesterday - man, they sound sweet. Too bad I need something a bit more aggressive.

Maybe because they're the amps I've played the most, but I find that Marshall have been the easiest for me to work with. They're the ones I kind get my basic sound with but also the ones with which I seem to be able to dial the most satisfying approximation of other amps's type of sound, to my taste anyway. And that's the thing I'm really after these days, I guess. Oftentimes, the approximation of another type of sound is actually a lot more interesting than the actual sound, it's what makes things interesting and unique.

Nowadays, almost every one has access to emulations of every possible amp - but creating something that evokes a Fender or a Vox using a Marshall, as far from the original as it can be, it makes for interesting results. 

craigb
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re: Amps... 2014/04/18 16:56:34 (permalink)
There was a time when I loved head's (I had few combos because I always figured I had more options being able to mix and match between heads and cabs).  Here's one "Christmas Tree of GAS" I used to have (the Marshall is a '79 JMP modded by Mike Soldano and the Egnater is a custom).

Now they're all gone (along with every other pre and power amp I had except the following).  I only have a VHT Valvulator GP3 Preamp and a Mesa Boogie Rectifier Recording Preamp with a VHT 2/50/2 as my only remaining power amp.  That said, I can pretty much do anything I want with this (pedals, dual-amping, etc.).

The top items are a patchbay, TC Electronics G-Force, Rocktron Intellifex (not used right now) and a Furman power conditioner.  The Valvulator GP3 has a nice buffered input for all the stomps and an extra line out that I send to a tuner.

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
michaelhanson
Re: Amps... 2014/04/18 17:22:53 (permalink)
Marshall was supposed to have come out withy a DSL 5 a while back that was to replace the Class 5. I still haven't seen one in any of our stores.

Mike

iTunes:

BMI
kennywtelejazz
Re: Amps... 2014/04/18 17:32:04 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Rain 2014/04/18 17:51:19
Rain
kennywtelejazz

Kenny

That's indeed quite a fine selection. Incidentally, I've tried a Marshall Class5 combo yesterday - man, they sound sweet. Too bad I need something a bit more aggressive.

Maybe because they're the amps I've played the most, but I find that Marshall have been the easiest for me to work with. They're the ones I kind get my basic sound with but also the ones with which I seem to be able to dial the most satisfying approximation of other amps's type of sound, to my taste anyway. And that's the thing I'm really after these days, I guess. Oftentimes, the approximation of another type of sound is actually a lot more interesting than the actual sound, it's what makes things interesting and unique.

Nowadays, almost every one has access to emulations of every possible amp - but creating something that evokes a Fender or a Vox using a Marshall, as far from the original as it can be, it makes for interesting results. 

Thanks Rain , 
I'm lucky to still have them ,
I've learned my lesson the hard way ….I don't flip my amps to get other amps ...
I still miss the 2 50's Tweed Deluxe's I had …. Wishbone Ash wound up  with them ...
I hope you bring your SG with you when you try out amps that you are considering ….

Yeah , I can understand you on the Marshall's and it is somewhat true that the class 5 is more or less a real nice grab and go blues amp  imho ….it is not gonna get aggressive unless you feed it in the front end w a pedal 
here's a clip of what my Class 5  sounds like in a full band setting turned half way up un miked ...
you can't see me playing cause I'm under the lights and also I apologize if the music sucks ….
I recorded this w a zoom H3 about 15 feet from the stage ….
the sound quality is pretty much what the zoom picked up 
on this tune I'm doing most of the guitar work …
at the time I was running guitar straight into the amp 

also here's a couple of my amp pics ….
I wish I lived in a place where I could use them …it kinnda sucks having great recording gear and not being able to record my guitar while using my amps at home 

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

Rain
Re: Amps... 2014/04/18 17:56:35 (permalink)
Couldn't resist, and I'm glad I didn't. With the SGJ, I think I pretty much have just the right combination for me.

craigb
Re: Amps... 2014/04/18 17:58:44 (permalink)
Nice!  With just a little creative manipulation of that name plate, I bet it could say "Rain" instead. 

kennywtelejazz
Re: Amps... 2014/04/18 18:04:05 (permalink)
all right  Rain  congratulations   Happy New Amp Day 

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

drewfx1
Max Output Level: -9.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6585
Re: Amps... 2014/04/18 18:18:26 (permalink)
Congrats Rain! Looks nice. I love little amps.

(repeats to self - I don't need any more amps, I don't need any more amps, I don't need any more amps, I don't need any more amps, I don't need any more amps...)

In order, then, to discover the limit of deepest tones, it is necessary not only to produce very violent agitations in the air but to give these the form of simple pendular vibrations. - Hermann von Helmholtz, predicting the role of the electric bassist in 1877.
craigb
Re: Amps... 2014/04/18 18:24:37 (permalink)
drewfx1
Congrats Rain! Looks nice. I love little amps.

(repeats to self - I don't need any more amps, I don't need any more amps, I don't need any more amps, I don't need any more amps, I don't need any more amps...)

Just FYI, your subconscious mind does not understand negatives and will take the absolute value of everything it absorbs (which is why "Drive Sober" is by far preferred over "Don't Drink and Drive").  So, now consider what you're actually repeating to your self above. 

drewfx1
Re: Amps... 2014/04/18 18:29:51 (permalink)
(Repeats to self: don't consider things subconsciously, don't consider things subconsciously, don't consider things subconsciously, don't consider things subconsciously...)

In order, then, to discover the limit of deepest tones, it is necessary not only to produce very violent agitations in the air but to give these the form of simple pendular vibrations. - Hermann von Helmholtz, predicting the role of the electric bassist in 1877.
craigb
Re: Amps... 2014/04/18 18:31:57 (permalink)
Try this one Drew, I think it's FAR better! 

(Send all my money to Craig so I won't spend it on gear, send all my money to Craig so I won't spend it on gear, send all my money to Craig so I won't spend it on gear, send all my money to Craig so I won't spend it on gear, send all my money to Craig so I won't spend it on gear, send all my money to Craig so I won't spend it on gear, send all my money to Craig so I won't spend it on gear, send all my money to Craig so I won't spend it on gear, send all my money to Craig so I won't spend it on gear...)

jbow
Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7601
Re: Amps... 2014/04/18 18:39:52 (permalink)
NICE... you got it!

Clapton recorded the Layla album with a Champ (SF IIRC) laid flat on top of a Leslie cabinet, why? I do not know. Of course Duane was using a Plexi... well I guess I do know the answer to why on both... it was the tone they wanted.

Nice pics in this thread!!

Julien

Sonar Platinum
Studiocat Pro 16G RAM (some bells and whistles)
HP Pavilion dm4 1165-dx (i5)-8G RAM
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
I HATE THIS CMPUTER KEYBARD!
jbow
Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7601
Re: Amps... 2014/04/18 18:52:35 (permalink)
drewfx1
(Repeats to self: don't consider things subconsciously, don't consider things subconsciously, don't consider things subconsciously, don't consider things subconsciously...)

Forget it... you will ALWAYS need another amp. Those are the rules.

Remember things always change, sooner than later people will want loud Rock n Roll again, there really is no substitute. Popular rock acts just need to refuse to play along with the sound man, remember who works for who... things have gotten out of whack.
I understand about the live mix but I still think it can be done. I went to a lot of shows in the early 70s in small, large, and outdoor venues.. it was loud and it worked. A guitar pushing speakers... a soundman cannot replicate that, IMO.

@ Kenny... really nice amps

@ Craig, nice amps. How do you get yourself to sell stuff. I consider it but then I always reconsider and end up adding to the collection... alas.

J

Sonar Platinum
Studiocat Pro 16G RAM (some bells and whistles)
HP Pavilion dm4 1165-dx (i5)-8G RAM
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
I HATE THIS CMPUTER KEYBARD!
craigb
Re: Amps... 2014/04/18 19:18:55 (permalink)
jbow
@ Craig, nice amps. How do you get yourself to sell stuff. I consider it but then I always reconsider and end up adding to the collection... alas.

Simple.  Get a huge IRS bill ($72k) then have the banks decide that they own all your property ($820k+).  I managed to keep a few things (probably more than I was supposed to under the BK terms), but that was it.  Ironically, I found that most of it I really didn't "need" - but I still miss it of course and it really hurt to HAVE to sell at mere pennies on the dollar.  'Tis life!  I'm starting over and I intend to be in a position to indulge my GAS again in the somewhat near future.

The main lesson I learned was to NEVER get into debt again. Even if you own 99% of something, it's possible to lose it if you can't come up with that last 1% when it's due (even if the other party is doing illegal things to put you in that position).

(Ok, back on topic!  Sorry for the off direction Rain, but you know I have ADHD and that tends to make me ... hey!  Squirrel!!!)

Mystic38
Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1622
Re: Amps... 2014/04/18 19:40:27 (permalink)

Fell in love with Orange recently.. and picked up a TH30 and PPC212 .. 2 channel 30/15/7W head with gorgeous cleans (smooth creamy vs fender chime) strong low mids.. a ballsier alternative to most amps, but the shape control on the dirty (gain) channel can scoop mids if that's your thing. blues to classic rock, heavy rock to some metal..

Now. if I could just stop thumping power chords on the les paul I may get some writing done :D

HPE-580T with i7-950, 8G, 1.5T, ATI6850, Win7/64, Motu 828 III Hybrid, Motu Midi Express, Sonar Platinum, Komplete 9, Ableton Live 9 & Push 2, Melodyne Editor and other stuff, KRK VXT8 Monitors
Virus Ti2 Polar, Fantom G6, Yamaha S70XS, Novation Nova, Novation Nova II, Korg MS2000, Waldorf Micro Q, NI Maschine Studio, TC-VoiceLive Rack, 2012 Gibson Les Paul Standard, 2001 Gibson Les Paul DC, 1999 Fender Am Hardtail Strat, Fender Blues Jr, Orange TH30/PPC212, Tak EF360GF, one mic, no talent.
drewfx1
Re: Amps... 2014/04/18 21:35:34 (permalink)
jbow
drewfx1

Forget it... you will ALWAYS need another amp. Those are the rules.

Actually I might buy another (funds permitting, but I never let a lack of funds stop me from at least contemplating things), but it would have to be right.

There are things I'd like, but are impractical/unaffordable for me like a HiWatt stack or one of those nice exotic wood Mesa's. 

The last time I was contemplating, I ended rationalizing that if anything, I'd want a nice traditional Fender style amp, with perhaps some modern amenities. But I would really prefer a head, and Fender either doesn't make heads or they're so pricey compared to the combo that it doesn't really make any sense to buy the head. For instance, I was looking at the Super Sonics and the combos only cost $50-$100 more than the head, which is significantly less than the cost of the speakers they put in them. Unfortunately, the speakers they put in the combos were Celestion Vintage 30's, which strike me as horribly inappropriate.

Danny Danzi
  • Total Posts : 5810
Re: Amps... 2014/04/18 22:33:32 (permalink)
*Sneaks in for a subliminal message to Drew*

You must buy one more amp related piece of gear before you stop. The Fractal AxeFx II is just off the hook. I can't believe how insane the modeling is as well as the tone matching abilities. It's seriously the most insane piece I've ever purchased hands down. Every guitar player should own one if they can afford it. I've tone matched and modeled all my own personal amps as well as all my pre-amps...so I have everything I could ever want all in one box with loads of other amps, cabs and mics. This thing really is pure brilliance.

*Sneaks away back into hole*

My Site
Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
craigb
Re: Amps... 2014/04/18 22:59:24 (permalink)
Now if it could only model your playing... 

drewfx1
Re: Amps... 2014/04/18 23:31:18 (permalink)
Danny Danzi
*Sneaks in for a subliminal message to Drew*

You must buy one more amp related piece of gear before you stop. The Fractal AxeFx II is just off the hook. I can't believe how insane the modeling is as well as the tone matching abilities. It's seriously the most insane piece I've ever purchased hands down. Every guitar player should own one if they can afford it. I've tone matched and modeled all my own personal amps as well as all my pre-amps...so I have everything I could ever want all in one box with loads of other amps, cabs and mics. This thing really is pure brilliance.

*Sneaks away back into hole*

Actually though I've heard nothing but overwhelming praise for the AxeFX (or the Kemper for that matter) - and from people like you whose opinions I feel I can trust - I feel like it's not worth the rather substantial cost for me as it would be more of a toy than a tool (for me personally) and modeling in general will only continue to improve so that such quality will become more and more affordable over time. It's inevitable.

Plus, there's a part of me that just wants a nice amp that says "Fender" on it, you know, just because. (I've already got the head and cab that say "Marshall" on them.)

But truthfully I'm pretty happy with what I've got, as I can pretty much get all the sounds I want by mixing and matching the guitars and amps and cabs and pedals (and more pedals) I already have.

When you've been amassing gear for a few decades, you get to a certain point where feelings of "life is good" start to overcome the GAS.

Well, at least some of the time. 

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1