An Accidental Affair

Author
darylcrowley
Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2700
2011/06/16 08:51:35 (permalink)

An Accidental Affair

This is a new song I've had done for awhile.  It contemplates how easy it would be to have missed meeting the love of your life.

Yea, it's a love song but as you know I can't do a straight-up love song, so I have to take it from a different angle.  These lyics concentrate on fate.

The background is very acoustic, but the lead is a thick blues type lead, which I think lends and interesting contrast.

I look forward to you comments.

Daryl

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=582907&songID=10754837

An Accidental Affair

Another Day
I might have looked the other way
Would never have 
Noticed you there.  No reason to care
No thoughts to attend
Of what might have been

Tempted Fate
Paid the price and I was running late
Now I realize
How easy to miss a chance such as this
The moment we met
I’ll never forget

Chorus:
It seems so strange
Fortunes can change
We fell into this mad affair.
   Might have
Passed out of sight                                           
Like two ships in the night, unaware.

How many days did I pass by you? 
So many ways to not find you.
I don't understand    why fate played a hand
Caught up with you
In this new rendezvous

I have to confess
That I would never have guessed
That two paths would be crossed.  
Two lives would be tossed
To fall where they may
In this game that we play

Chorus:

The stars were aligned
Somehow our lives were entwined
How could we suppose today would propose
We might be worthy of
Just falling in love

Chorus:

Daryl Crowley
Sonica Labs I7 Quad Core -
Windows 7 64bit Professional
Sonar 8.5 Producer - Ozone 4
http://www.darylcrowley.com/

24 Replies Related Threads

Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re:An Accidental Affair 2011/06/16 10:28:42 (permalink)
    Nice song Daryl, sounds OK here however I got the impression of some gating on the drums.  There appears to be some kind of very low level noise, like hiss, which comes when the drums are playing and goes when they fall silent.  Seems to be most evident on cymbal tails which to my ears end abruptly.

This could just be my ears playing up.

Thanks for sharing.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    darylcrowley
    Re:An Accidental Affair 2011/06/16 10:31:48 (permalink)
    Hmmm.... I might have a little compression on the drums.  I can't say that I ever used gating or if I would even know how or when to use it.

Thanks.

Daryl Crowley
    Tap
    Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4536
    Re:An Accidental Affair 2011/06/16 22:03:41 (permalink)
    Daryl, this is another really nice tune by you. You have a nice combination of great guitar player, singer and lyricist that can do all the rest as well. The tails on the cymbals could just be a result of a combo of compression on the cymbals followed by an eq setting pronouncing the tails? It's not all the that noticeable here, but I also had to back off a tad on my bass levels to get a nice tonal balance. ( My equipment probably ) Great work!

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

vechung
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 818
    Re:An Accidental Affair 2011/06/16 22:42:02 (permalink)
    Nice song!  Love the lyrics.  On the chorus, the backing vocals is abit too loud.  With the delay make it kind of chaotic. 

http://www.soundclick.com/vicentechung
    https://soundcloud.com/thefoundandthelost

Vicente 

Sonar Platinum, Live 10, Motu 828, Ozone 7
    guitartrek
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    Re:An Accidental Affair 2011/06/16 22:46:25 (permalink)
    Nice job!  I really like the silky, slightly distorted tone of your lead guitar solo.  The vocals are great.  I'm only listening on ear buds, but the mix sounded good to me.
    Greybeard
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 271
    Re:An Accidental Affair 2011/06/17 11:58:25 (permalink)
    Nice tune.  I liked the intimacy of the backing vocals--they fit the mood of the song very well.
    rockinrobby
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:An Accidental Affair 2011/06/17 12:04:27 (permalink)
    nice punchy mix, with your vox up front. I might take just a tiny bit off that snare for this style music and EQ it a tad less bright, but that's not a strong recommendation from me, it's a small one. There does seem to be some kind of weird gating effect going on with the drums that doesn't feel right when it kicks in. 

http://www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby

Evil lurks here among us again... "Beware."
    whack
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1188
    Re:An Accidental Affair 2011/06/17 12:41:00 (permalink)
    Like this, good instrumentation and I especially like the vocals and the lyrical content. I was listening on headphones too..in mono..so sounded fine. I didnt hear it until it was mentioned but there is some prominent gating on the drums that cuts in and out, maybe you were going for an effect there....

Cian

www.cmcgmusic.com

Melody and Meaning
    geeare1
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1906
    Re:An Accidental Affair 2011/06/17 16:37:12 (permalink)
    Hi Daryl,

Very nice song. I like the acoustic guitar part...

Your electric guitar tone and playing are great, as always.

Others have mentioned it before but your phrasing is, at times, reminiscent of Mark Knopfler. Which, in my opinion, one of the highest compliments any guitar player can receive

Your vocal and harmonies sound great as does the overall mix. Not really hearing the gating thing but there's lots of stuff I don't hear.

When do you get the new guitar?

-gr

'There's two kinds of music: good and bad. I like both.' - Duke Ellington

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=943338&content=music
    darylcrowley
    Re:An Accidental Affair 2011/06/17 18:03:26 (permalink)
    Tap - Thank you.  I try to work on all the parts.  Frank is my inspiration there as he just does everything so well, from playing to mixing and singing.  So I appreciate your comment.  I just need to retire so I can learn how to program drums.  It's not like using these loops is piece of cake either and it has inherient limitations.  Especially if you do the off-beat stuff or Latin, or 3/4, etc.

GT -Thanks.  Nice looking LP you're holding.  I had a 1952, not as nice as yours but it was a P90 tone machine.  It had that crappy trapeez bridge was the only bad part.
    The lead is through my hollowbody with Classic 57s(bridge pickup) and a touch of my Xotic AC Booster and my Carr Mercury amp.  I have a couple of Xotic pedals and their new ones look even better.  Really good products. 

Vicente - Thanks.  I was pleased with the lyrics too.

Robby.  Thank you.  You help keep the vocal bar raised around here, I appreciate it.  Yea, they are loops.  I like them but of course you can only adjust them in total.  I try playing the EQ.

Greaybeard - Thanks.  For me harmonies are a challenge in that I have a very narrow range.  I had a good range once but that was 40 years ago.  Consequently my harmonies are often a little different as I have to change the lines so that I can sing them, sometimes it works to a good effect, sometimes not.  I have a vocal processor but Frank made me quit it.  Not really, but he's right, the harmonies do sound more natural.  Although at times my TC Helicon can make some really great harmonies, but not with all tunes.

Cian - Thank you.  So glad you liked the vocals.

Gary - You know I wrote this tune a couple of years ago and then it was just the acoustic guitar part.  My intention was to make it a nice melodic instrumental.  But I could never work out where the tune show go, it just never came together.  A couple of months ago, as I was trying to make it work out I just tried the thick lead sound over the acoustic and it completely changed the vibe of the tune.  I actually like the acoustic thing better, but all of sudden the tune was coming together.  So I decided it needed words, and when that came together it was a totally different thing, albeit with a conclusion.

I love Mark Knopfler but I've never studied him.  Yet I too have found that some of my phrasing is in ways like some of his stuff.  Which of course tickled the heck out of me.  But I suppose just from listening to Dire Straights I probably picked it up subconciously to some extent.  But in my early days I did spend time attempt to phrase like Jimmy Messina.  Jimmy has this great just ahead or just behind the beat thing and then resolves it so nice.  I guess it's fortunate that I enjoy melody and phrasing so much since I can't wow anybody with my blinding speed. ;)

I haven't yet found the magazines you suggested but I did buy a couple of books that have given me some new inspiration.

Yes the guitar is assembled and the first coat of stain goes on next week!  Mark Campellone has sent me, so far, 23 different pictures of the guitar in process.  I finagled some extra special wood out of him that he had been setting on for 15 years.  It's is mind boggling gorgeous.  I'm geeked to the max.  I can hardly wait.  Send me your email in a PM and I will send you some pictures.

Thanks.

Daryl Crowley
    jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re:An Accidental Affair 2011/06/18 03:36:48 (permalink)
    Lovely song Daryl, a little like Mark Knopfler in the world-weary writing style, I like it. Also a fan of a creamy lead over acoustic backing, I think your tone works very well in that setting. Good stuff.

Edit: Didn't see the Knopfler references above...

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    Re:An Accidental Affair 2011/06/20 11:39:08 (permalink)
    A dreamy/reflective vibe on this one Daryl. Music fits the lyrics well. i also thought it was a bit different style than your 'norm' music. This was nice to hear and I'm really liking your vox!

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    philz
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2462
    Re:An Accidental Affair 2011/06/20 12:42:37 (permalink)
    Nice song, and a really excellent job on the lyrics on this one, Daryl.  Great playing and a cool laid back vocal fit into a nice mixing job.  I think the acoustic guitar is sort of the unsung hero in the background.  Enjoyable listen for me.
    marcos69
    Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4950
    Re:An Accidental Affair 2011/06/20 19:09:19 (permalink)
    Really nice Daryl.    Nice to hear some distortion on your guitar.  Much more soul to it.  I like the use of the diminished 7ths in there at the turn arounds.
    post edited by marcos69 - 2011/06/20 19:10:58

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    Bob Oister
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2766
    Re:An Accidental Affair 2011/06/21 04:27:11 (permalink)
    Hi, Daryl,

This is really a fantastic song!

Great songwriting and lyrics, excellent playing and perfect tone for the smooth, tasty solos, and your vocals and harmonies are outstanding.  The mix sounds really good, and right on the money for the genre.

I also agree about the Mark Knopfler reference, and to me, some parts of the guitar solos towards the end, reminded me of CSNY around the time of "Wooden Ships" and the Woodstock era.

Dynamite work, buddy!
    Bob
    Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:An Accidental Affair 2011/06/21 06:31:23 (permalink)
    Great song, lyrics and performances. Nice guitar tone and nice feeling in your playing. No mix crits here.

String Jammer
    kennywtelejazz
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7151
    Re:An Accidental Affair 2011/06/22 09:21:40 (permalink)
    Hi Daryl,
    you got the whole package going on here with your song
    good lyrics , nice chord changes, good singing , nice mix
    I really enjoyed your guitar tone and playing on this song
    very nice creamy tone w an understated fluid melodic approach 

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
    The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
    I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
    The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

timidi
    Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5449
    Re:An Accidental Affair 2011/06/22 10:20:13 (permalink)
    Really Nice tune Daryl. love the floaty airyness. But, then again, it wants to be floaty and airy but, I think some of the frequencies are all wrong. Especially on the the drums and the nylon guit. The drums just don't fit the tune IMO. Kind of busy. I just can't picture a drummer playing the tune so aggressively. You've got a clicky beater going on with the kik with a tone that occurs when usually hit hard. I would hear more of a muffled thumpy sound. Snare's too fat. But then again, I'm probably over-anal-yzing. (but, that's what I do). Santana might approach in the same way.
    The nylon guit seems to get in the way of everything. I think because of all the high frequencies in it (too plucky). Ok, I beat you up enough:) 
    I think it's a great tune, just not sleeping in the right bed.

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

darylcrowley
    Re:An Accidental Affair 2011/06/22 16:41:36 (permalink)
    Thanks all.

As usual no one likes my drum loops ;>)  I appreciate and believe everyone's comments on the drums, but for the life of me I can never hear those problems even when they are pointed out to me.  If you look at my last response up above I went into some detail there.  Not sure how to fix that except maybe just start leaving the drum tracks out. Obviously I don't get it.  I have little sense for drums and often what I really do like, no one else does.  Either I'm ahead of my time or I don't know **** about drums... probably the latter :)  Between my bad ears and my lack of drum knowledge, I'm not sure what to do.

Tim - The nylon guitar IS the song.  That track is what I had for almost two years trying to figure out how to make a nice acoustic instrumental out of it, but could never figure out where to go with it.  Everything else fell together much later and provided the basis for this song.  The nylon track is my favorite track on this and  this particular tune would never have been without that track.  Although, the final product is nothing like I had in mind when I wrote that part.  If you want to give me something simple that you think fits, honestly I would love to see it, just to try and understand what it is that other people think would fit.  I never think of drums in terms of a beat and certainly not in terms of "danceablity", which I think is why I like percussion more than drum kits in general. 

I have a ton of respect for your work.  Like Frank  you have a great ear and wide knowledge of all the pieces and I appreciate the careful listen, but honestly I have no idea what I would do differently from a drum standpoint.  I played every position in bands over the years.... except drummer.  I really, (and evidently obviously), have no sense for the instrument.  Because of that I'm stuck with loops as I am  completely lost as soon as I open something like Session Drummer. 

Daryl

Daryl Crowley
    timidi
    Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5449
    Re:An Accidental Affair 2011/06/23 14:12:58 (permalink)
    I mostly meant the frequencies. Not necessarily the guit part. 
    try this:)
    http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10780024

post edited by timidi - 2011/06/23 14:15:23

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

Janet
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:An Accidental Affair 2011/06/23 16:20:28 (permalink)
    Great tune, Daryl!  I was just enjoying it too much to listen critically, but it sounds good to me.  The guitar solo is beautiful--it sounds like it's singing too.  :)  I love the interweaving of the guitars and piano too.
    darylcrowley
    Re:An Accidental Affair 2011/06/23 18:34:17 (permalink)
    Thank you Janet.  Now if I just could develop an ear for drums! I also appreciate the comments on the guitar break.  I've never been into flashy and fast riffs, probably because I'm not very fast or flashy.  I've always liked guitar lines that are expressive and convey some emotional content. 

So you have hit on exactly what I try to convey...  I want my guitar lines to sound like it's singing, like it's trying to say something, and it may say different things to different people, but I try to make it as much like a voice as I can and I want it to convey emotion, anger, love, saddness, etc.

On the other hand, I wish I knew some fast flashy riffs. :)

Daryl

Daryl Crowley
    kennywtelejazz
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7151
    Re:An Accidental Affair 2011/06/27 08:48:39 (permalink)
    darylcrowley

On the other hand, I wish I knew some fast flashy riffs. :)

Daryl

Yeah me to

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
    The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
    I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
    The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    Re:An Accidental Affair 2011/06/27 14:04:21 (permalink)
    Daryl,
    Some mighty fine guitar work here.   You've really got some creamy tones and expressive phrases happening.

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1