Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
bsteven
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 50
2011/02/01 19:32:59 (permalink)

An Open Letter to Cakewalk/Roland regarding Lyric/Staff View

Dear Cakewalk/Roland:
As a long time Cakewalk user I’ve watched the Cakewalk and Sonar brand grow from being a “toy” to full-fledged studio-essential  equipment.  As it has grown, I have grown with it as a songwriter and musician as I sought to utilize this product to its full potential (I’m still, however, a long way from that).  Admittedly, I was hasty and harsh in my public criticism of the X1 upgrade because upon installation, there were some processes and shortcuts that that were changed which led me to think that you had removed functions that were integral to the way I used your product.  This-- coupled with a few minor hardware incompatibilities and bulletin board moderators who offered only criticism and no useful advice -- left me extremely frustrated.  Now that I have settled in a bit and had some time to get comfortable with the new interface, I have to admit that it is better in most ways to the 8.5 interface.  Throw in the Pro Channel features, and I guess I don’t mind the 100 bucks I had to pay for the upgrade.
Where I do mind, however, is that for at least 4 paid upgrades and several more version updates, you have allowed serious problems with lyric and staff view to persist.  I do realize that lyric view and staff view may not have widespread usage for an actual studio user (who I assume is your target customer), but as songwriter, it is the reason I have stuck with Cakewalk for so long, and with each successive upgrade I have been disappointed by your neglect in addressing the lyric view problems.

Over the years, I have made problem reports, and, perhaps because I didn’t quite know what was causing the problem or how to describe it,  these reports have gone either ignored or unaddressed because you say you weren’t able to duplicate the problem on your end.  In my most recent problem report for X1, I sent a .CWP file and a screenshot  revealing the discrepancy between lyric view and staff view), but that one seems to have been ignored, as you are yet to even acknowledge receipt of the problem report.

Fortunately, after years of trying to describe the problem to you and after combing through the support pages and user forums looking for a solution, someone noted that the key to avoiding the problem with lyric and staff view is to ensure that that the track containing lyrics, chord charts, and notes remains one single clip.  (The problem occurs when you allow the multiple clips that might naturally occur after a long instrumental or when you copy and paste sections of a song.  This often results in a lyrical and notation disaster that often forces you to wipe the track and start again). 

Some may say that they have never encountered this problem.  Others may say “Who cares. It’s still a good program.”  Regardless, as a few others can attest on this board, it is a real and enduring problem, one that speaks perhaps not the overall usefulness of your program (I still use it almost every day), but to the overall quality of your program, the quality of your leadership, the standards of your company, and the respect you have for your customer.  If as a company, you had acknowledged that there is a long-standing problem with lyric and staff view,  offered the work-around that I have mentioned above on some official support page, and committed to a timetable to fixing it, this neglect might be excusable, but to allow such a basic element of your platform to remain unfixed and unacknowledged for so long, and to continue to charge your customers for upgrades, is just plain disrespectful, greedy, and irresponsible because you continue to build upon this platform, touting all your advances, when you haven’t addressed a basic function of the program that has been a problem for about 10 years now.
I hope as a result of this letter that you will fix the problems associated with lyric and staff view, and that you will not charge your customers another dime until this feature operates as it was supposed to 10 years ago.  (Or if you are not going to do it right, eliminate the function from future versions—that way we can spend our money elsewhere on a product that works properly).   I also hope that all others who are considering investing in the Sonar platform will refrain from doing so until this company demonstrates they are truly committed to their customer and to producing the highest quality product possible by fixing this long-standing problem.

Respectfully,

Steve H.
Sonar X1/ Win7 64-bit/Sony VAIO/Core 2 P7350 @ 2.0 GHZ/ 6GB DDR/ 500GB HD/ATI Mobility Radeon HD4650/ SCEPTRE  X270W/ Focusrite Saffire Pro 24/ Axiom 49

50 Replies Related Threads

Stone House Studios
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3550
    Re:An Open Letter to Cakewalk/Roland regarding Lyric/Staff View 2011/02/01 19:54:40 (permalink)
    I also hope that all others who are considering investing in the Sonar platform will refrain from doing so until this company demonstrates they are truly committed to their customer and to producing the highest quality product possible by fixing this long-standing problem.

A great post up to this point.

Brian

Core i7-6700@3.40Ghz  Windows 10x64 16 GB RAM
    Sonar Platinum/Studio One     PreSonus Studio 192
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    Re:An Open Letter to Cakewalk/Roland regarding Lyric/Staff View 2011/02/01 20:03:15 (permalink)

the Cakewalk and Sonar brand grow from being a “toy” to full-fledged studio-essential equipment.
    When is a $1200 program a toy? Thats what Sonar 1 cost.

Best
    John
    Bub
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7196
    Re:An Open Letter to Cakewalk/Roland regarding Lyric/Staff View 2011/02/01 20:13:57 (permalink)

"I pulled the head off Elvis, filled Fred up to his pelvis, yaba daba do, the King is gone, and so are you."
    John T
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6783
    Re:An Open Letter to Cakewalk/Roland regarding Lyric/Staff View 2011/02/01 20:14:23 (permalink)
    Anyone who pays year after year for updates of program they think sucks is actually mentally ill. If you genuinely think it's been terrible for ten years and you've carried on paying for it, I can not imagine what would please you. It sounds like masochism to me.
    post edited by John T - 2011/02/01 20:17:57

http://johntatlockaudio.com/
    Self-build PC // 16GB RAM // i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz // Nofan 0dB cooler // ASUS P8-Z77 V Pro motherboard // Intel x-25m SSD System Drive // Seagate RAID Array Audio Drive // Windows 10 64 bit // Sonar Platinum (64 bit) // Sonar VS-700 // M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 // KRK RP-6 Monitors // and a bunch of other stuff
    John T
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6783
    Re:An Open Letter to Cakewalk/Roland regarding Lyric/Staff View 2011/02/01 20:17:30 (permalink)
    I mean, look at this:

bsteven

(Or if you are not going to do it right, eliminate the function from future versions—that way we can spend our money elsewhere on a product that works properly).  

Dude, you can already spend your money wherever you like. Cakewalk don't have you tied up in the basement or anything.

http://johntatlockaudio.com/
    Self-build PC // 16GB RAM // i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz // Nofan 0dB cooler // ASUS P8-Z77 V Pro motherboard // Intel x-25m SSD System Drive // Seagate RAID Array Audio Drive // Windows 10 64 bit // Sonar Platinum (64 bit) // Sonar VS-700 // M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 // KRK RP-6 Monitors // and a bunch of other stuff
    osd
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 345
    Re:An Open Letter to Cakewalk/Roland regarding Lyric/Staff View 2011/02/01 20:33:42 (permalink)
    double post
    post edited by osd - 2011/02/01 20:38:29
    osd
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 345
    Re:An Open Letter to Cakewalk/Roland regarding Lyric/Staff View 2011/02/01 20:37:26 (permalink)
    Plus I don't think removing features will auto-magically lower the price. Still, I feel for the OP. It sucks to hold a flame for a feature set that just languishes...     
    shawnbulen
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 157
    Re:An Open Letter to Cakewalk/Roland regarding Lyric/Staff View 2011/02/01 21:15:49 (permalink)
    @John - A toy?  Maybe.  My first version came on a 5 1/4 floppy disc.   It came FREE with a purchase of a MIDI cable that hung off my joystick port.   I think it was CW 3?  4?   I've been upgrading since, mainly because of the support for CAL...  

@osd - I know the concern about a feature set that languishes...   I'm a devoted CAL user, & I think they're just hoping it goes away...   I've used it a lot to implement MIDI-generation of fractal algorithms, quite cool.   And as near as I can tell, CW offers the only DAW with a scripting language embedded that allows me to do this. 

@bsteven - I feel your pain.  You may need to consider one of the packages dedicated to notation, if that is a primary need of yours.   Feels good to vent, doesn't it?  They just might listen.   These features, well implemented, would certainly round out the product.   They used to sell a notation product - Overture?   Maybe more of those features will be added to X1 over time.   Think positive.  But if the result doesn't come, consider voting with your $...   

Dogmatic attachment to the supposed merits of a particular structure hinders the search for an appropriate structure.
     - Fripp
    jamescollins
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 747
    Re:An Open Letter to Cakewalk/Roland regarding Lyric/Staff View 2011/02/01 21:37:34 (permalink)
    How refreshing - yet another 'open letter' from a 'long time Cakewalk user'.

I'll have three fingers of Glenlivet, with a little bit of pepper... and some cheese.

allthekingsmen.band
    jamescollinsmusic.com
    Kroneborge
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1300
    Re:An Open Letter to Cakewalk/Roland regarding Lyric/Staff View 2011/02/01 22:21:12 (permalink)
    jamescollins

How refreshing - yet another 'open letter' from a 'long time Cakewalk user'.

Note not posting on the forums doesn't mean not a long time user.  I'm sure there were a lot of people (like me) that just didn't feel the need to post because by and large everything was working before X1.

Mathew

Hip Hop
    http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=213418

BreakBeats
    http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=219099

i7 12 gb ram, Komplete 5, Izotope Ozone & Stutter, Symphonic Orchestra Plat.

John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    Re:An Open Letter to Cakewalk/Roland regarding Lyric/Staff View 2011/02/01 23:05:35 (permalink)
    @John - A toy? Maybe. My first version came on a 5 1/4 floppy disc. It came FREE with a purchase of a MIDI cable that hung off my joystick port. I think it was CW 3? 4? I've been upgrading since, mainly because of the support for CAL...
    That was not Sonar.

Best
    John
    bsteven
    • Total Posts : 50
    Re:An Open Letter to Cakewalk/Roland regarding Lyric/Staff View 2011/02/01 23:11:43 (permalink)
    Shawbulen/OSD I'm with you. I've been with them that long, in fact since it was a DOS program.  I appreciate you taking my post in the manner in which it was intended.  Obviously, I don't think the program is terrible, but I do think it is terrible that the problem is allowed to continue. 

For me, its about business, and doing business the right way. When a company fails to do so, they should lose business.  Don't keep taking my money, and not give me what I paid for 10 years ago.  Cakewalk knows they are not the only game in town, this fact is the main reason the platform has grown to what it is today.  I love the program, but I feel like an abused spouse who has finally had enough!
    post edited by bsteven - 2011/02/01 23:25:21
    shawnbulen
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 157
    Re:An Open Letter to Cakewalk/Roland regarding Lyric/Staff View 2011/02/02 09:45:06 (permalink)
    John

@John - A toy? Maybe. My first version came on a 5 1/4 floppy disc. It came FREE with a purchase of a MIDI cable that hung off my joystick port. I think it was CW 3? 4? I've been upgrading since, mainly because of the support for CAL...
    That was not Sonar.

Sure it was!  Changing the name did not change the codebase.  The X1 change is far more radical than the CWPA=>SONAR change was at the time. 

One legitimate element of what we're dealing with here is the organic growth & evolution of the product over time.  

Dogmatic attachment to the supposed merits of a particular structure hinders the search for an appropriate structure.
     - Fripp
    LJB
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1502
    Re:An Open Letter to Cakewalk/Roland regarding Lyric/Staff View 2011/02/02 09:51:47 (permalink)
    John T

Anyone who pays year after year for updates of program they think sucks is actually mentally ill. If you genuinely think it's been terrible for ten years and you've carried on paying for it, I can not imagine what would please you. It sounds like masochism to me.

Hahaha! A bit like paying for psychiatric treatment abuse. :O) 

Ludwig Bouwer, One Big Room Studios.
    --------------------
    Cakewalk
    with all the trimmings / Win 10Pro 64 / Intel i7-7700 / Asus Prime Z270k / 16GB DDR4 / RME HDSP9652 / RME UFX / Black Lion Audio ADA8000 / ART MPA & ART Pro Channel / Focusrite Voicemaster Pro / Aphex 107

Check out my work at www.onebigroom.co.za

Elffin
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1196
    Re:An Open Letter to Cakewalk/Roland regarding Lyric/Staff View 2011/02/03 07:28:43 (permalink)
    To the op - I understand your frustrations totally.

I really enjoy using Sonar to compose and have spent a lot of my time to learn and establish a work flow.

I have spent hours creating drum maps to use as articulations in my sample libaries and with each update hope that the staff view will improve.
    If I remember last year in the old Sonar forum there was an enormous thread in regards to staff view and its faults. OK .. we were not expecting it to be updated immediatley... but the expectation is certainly there and evident in the userbase.

Ham N Egz
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 15161
    Re:An Open Letter to Cakewalk/Roland regarding Lyric/Staff View 2011/02/03 08:53:11 (permalink)
    If ANYONE was leading the cause for better notation, it was Susan.

Search is such a wonderful function (although maybe not this forums search function) try THIS.

I am not saying  fully functional notation isn't paramount with CW,but after doing the search and pondering the results, you be the judge

Green Acres is the place to be
     I dont twitter, facebook, snapchat, instagram,linkedin,tumble,pinterest,flick, blah blah,lets have an old fashioned conversation!

billkeys2
    • Total Posts : 18
    Re:An Open Letter to Cakewalk/Roland regarding Lyric/Staff View 2011/02/03 09:33:53 (permalink)
    I totally agree with bsteven.  I've been using Cakewalk since CakeLIVE! (DOS).  Those of you flaming him are totally missing his point to Cakewalk which I interpret at:

IF you are going to put this feature in what YOU claim to be the premier recording program, make if freakin' work right ... or either stop making the claim or just remove it from the software.  In which case we can assume that you give up... can't do it.
    UnderTow
    Max Output Level: -37 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3848
    Re:An Open Letter to Cakewalk/Roland regarding Lyric/Staff View 2011/02/03 16:06:16 (permalink)
    John & John the Fanboyant Duo!

Soon on a forum near you!

Guaranteed to miss the point and disrupt legitimate complaint threads!

Bring all your insecure friends and help defend your purchase decision!

Why be critical when you can be a Fanboy instead?

Bring your torches and let's flame those discriminating users!

UnderTow
    noldar12
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1075
    Re:An Open Letter to Cakewalk/Roland regarding Lyric/Staff View 2011/02/03 16:16:09 (permalink)
    As another user that could really use an updated staff view: would be nice to use just one program, but since they still cannot get something as basic as triplets correct...  I have almost given up hope.  It has been several years since first requesting improvements, and as others have said, albeit for different reasons, at this point I also feel that Cakewalk's current direction falls outside some of my core needs/methods.

I will continue to use 8.5.3 for midi editing of Finale files, but at this point have no desire or need to update to a new version.

Jim
    madoues
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 59
    Re:An Open Letter to Cakewalk/Roland regarding Lyric/Staff View 2011/02/04 18:00:47 (permalink)
    I will not be upgrading anymore until the staff view is fixed.

But then I've said that before years ago. I ended up upgrading once since then. Siiiigh...

I used to work in a technical maintenance dept in a TV studio building where our workshop was as far from main doors as possible, in a basement corner along with the storage area with no windows, not even an emergency exit. It felt like we were a necessary evil. Working on staff view with Sonar, I get the same sensation.

I don't know if there is still hope, but thanks to the OP for at least trying something.

Dan

Sonar 2016, i7 4770K, Asus Z87-A, Win7, Tascam DM-4800, MOTU 828MKIII, Tranzport,  Peavey VMP-2, Focusrite ISA-828, Benchmark MPS-400, JBL LSR4328Ps, Mics(U87s, 414s, C460s, ....)
    Ham N Egz
    Re:An Open Letter to Cakewalk/Roland regarding Lyric/Staff View 2011/02/04 18:48:24 (permalink)
    DO YOU ALL FEEL BETTER NOW THAT YOU HAVE BEAT THIS INTO SUBMISSION
    THIS TOPIC IS YEARS OLD I AM GLAD YOU VENTED, RANTED ****ED, AND MOANED AND THREATENED TO TAKE YOUR MARBLES ELSEWHERE

IT HASN'T CHANGED A DAM THING BUT CLUTTERED UP THE FORUM

I dont twitter, facebook, snapchat, instagram,linkedin,tumble,pinterest,flick, blah blah,lets have an old fashioned conversation!

Elffin
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1196
    Re:An Open Letter to Cakewalk/Roland regarding Lyric/Staff View 2011/02/04 19:01:28 (permalink)
    I think our request for better staff view is just as valid as any other users request.

I really don't want to move from Sonar .. I'd just like better a staff view... 

vintagevibe
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2446
    Re:An Open Letter to Cakewalk/Roland regarding Lyric/Staff View 2011/02/04 19:23:01 (permalink)
    musicman100

DO YOU ALL FEEL BETTER NOW THAT YOU HAVE BEAT THIS INTO SUBMISSION
    THIS TOPIC IS YEARS OLD I AM GLAD YOU VENTED, RANTED ****ED, AND MOANED AND THREATENED TO TAKE YOUR MARBLES ELSEWHERE

IT HASN'T CHANGED A DAM THING BUT CLUTTERED UP THE FORUM

I see.  All of the numerous things that you have ****ed about on the forum are important.  But if it's not important to you it's beating a dead horse.  Perhaps you should not join in discussions that don't interest you and to which you have nothing to add.

vintagevibe
    Re:An Open Letter to Cakewalk/Roland regarding Lyric/Staff View 2011/02/04 19:26:47 (permalink)
    madoues

I will not be upgrading anymore until the staff view is fixed.

But then I've said that before years ago. I ended up upgrading once since then. Siiiigh...

I used to work in a technical maintenance dept in a TV studio building where our workshop was as far from main doors as possible, in a basement corner along with the storage area with no windows, not even an emergency exit. It felt like we were a necessary evil. Working on staff view with Sonar, I get the same sensation.

I don't know if there is still hope, but thanks to the OP for at least trying something.

Dan
    I don't think there is hope.  Cakewalk is really positioning Sonar for the semipro market.  They are not serious about notation or video and this whole Silverlight thing indicates to me that the program is being dumbed down for casual users.  Just my opinion.

Ham N Egz
    Re:An Open Letter to Cakewalk/Roland regarding Lyric/Staff View 2011/02/04 19:34:31 (permalink)
    DEAR VINTAGE VIBE
        it has been discussed for over three years this particular notation issues ]YOU are not adding anything new or important to the issue that notation is "broken"
    you dont use search to see this has been beaten to death and adding your two cents worth is just that

have you searched for my 'problems" I doubt it your are just piling on  and feeling good about yourself for downing X1

now feel free if you have a NEW issue that HAS NOT been brought to light to discuss here

i didint think you did

madoues
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 59
    Re:An Open Letter to Cakewalk/Roland regarding Lyric/Staff View 2011/02/04 20:41:25 (permalink)
    Sorry Musicman, it hasn't been beaten to death, we are still talking about it.

I believe this is my forum as much as yours and if it concerns Sonar/X1 as this subject does, we can talk about it until the cows come home. I have 30 posts in over four years, and many years before that I was just lurking; since 1996 with Pro Audio as a matter of fact. Do you think that is too many posts? Many of them are in relation to the staff view because it happens to be a very important issue to me, almost the only one I'm willing to post about.

Cakewalk have never said "We will not fix the staff view"; instead they have hinted quite a while ago that it may be coming eventually but that it is a major piece of code to write. I think the OP has a good point hinting that CW are keeping us dangling on a hook; maybe they should just come out and state an official policy on this.

I have just finished scanning four pages of subject titles and only this thread concerns staff view improvements. It is your choice to read these posts or not, why not just stop reading them if it bothers you so much??

Dan

P.S. : I bet you that horse is just faking. Once the guy leaves with his whip, he will just get right up again and trot away;)

Sonar 2016, i7 4770K, Asus Z87-A, Win7, Tascam DM-4800, MOTU 828MKIII, Tranzport,  Peavey VMP-2, Focusrite ISA-828, Benchmark MPS-400, JBL LSR4328Ps, Mics(U87s, 414s, C460s, ....)
    vintagevibe
    Re:An Open Letter to Cakewalk/Roland regarding Lyric/Staff View 2011/02/04 21:20:52 (permalink)
    musicman100

DEAR VINTAGE VIBE
       it has been discussed for over three years this particular notation issues ]YOU are not adding anything new or important to the issue that notation is "broken"
    you dont use search to see this has been beaten to death and adding your two cents worth is just that

have you searched for my 'problems" I doubt it your are just piling on  and feeling good about yourself for downing X1

now feel free if you have a NEW issue that HAS NOT been brought to light to discuss here

i didint think you did

No I don't have a new issue.  I have this one.  I never read in the forum rules that only new issues are allowed.  I don't need to search to see all the post on this issue because I participated in them.  I don't understand why this upsets you so much.  If you are not interested why are you here talking about?  Does it in some way offend you that this is important to some?  How is this doing harm to this forum?  Once again, why don't you just participate in a discussion of something that interests you instead of coming here and insisting that we not discuss something that interests us?
    HumbleNoise
    Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2946
    Re:An Open Letter to Cakewalk/Roland regarding Lyric/Staff View 2011/02/04 21:21:18 (permalink)
    I have an architectural program that I use for my home design business and I think they are on version 13 or 14 and they STILL do not have an easy method for creating the single most popular foundation type in the country. You can do it but it's a pain and we always ask for it but the programmers live where they don't build that type of foundation so it gets ignored and ignored. And it's so maddening.

I haven't written the same letter that the OP wrote, but darn close. I get it. And IMO the analogy is not that bad. Notation is a very important part of music creation. I think it should be gotten right after years of its existence. JMHO

Humbly Yours

Larry

Sonar X2 x64
    MAudio 2496
    Yamaha MG 12/4
    Roland XV-88
    Intel MB with Q6600 and 4 GB Ram
    NVidia 9800 GTX
    Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
    vintagevibe
    Re:An Open Letter to Cakewalk/Roland regarding Lyric/Staff View 2011/02/04 21:38:57 (permalink)
    HumbleNoise

I have an architectural program that I use for my home design business and I think they are on version 13 or 14 and they STILL do not have an easy method for creating the single most popular foundation type in the country. You can do it but it's a pain and we always ask for it but the programmers live where they don't build that type of foundation so it gets ignored and ignored. And it's so maddening.

I haven't written the same letter that the OP wrote, but darn close. I get it. And IMO the analogy is not that bad. Notation is a very important part of music creation. I think it should be gotten right after years of its existence. JMHO

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1