An alternative DAW that supports the VS-700

Author
mt_evans
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8
2017/12/16 21:51:03 (permalink)

An alternative DAW that supports the VS-700

Hello All, 

I would like to ask you all if you have found an alternative DAW that supports the VS-700 better that the others.  I am not looking to buy new hardware now or any time soon.   I have the VS-700 set, Platinum lifetime and lots of other Cakewalk software.  I am planning on staying with Sonar as long as I can but want to have a backup plan. 

Also know support won’t be the same for this hardware as it is in Sonar currently.  For the 700C it looks like other software will have to use Mackie Control or HUI control surfaces setups if available, as far as I know.  Think the 700R will work with most of the software these days.  I have no idea about how the Fantom VS hardware synthesizer will work outside of Sonar.  Please shed some light on this if I am miss informed. 

Functionality, reliability, stability, features compared to Sonar, sound quality, FX and editing tools are good way to measure the other DAWs.  Price could also be a factor, there are some limited time crossgrade or competitive upgrade deals I have found thru reading this forum.  I want to test some of the trial versions but can’t do them all.  Hoping by asking here, I can focus on testing the front runners first.   

Thanks for your input and help. 

5 Replies Related Threads

Mully
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1545
    Re: An alternative DAW that supports the VS-700 2017/12/17 11:17:30 (permalink)
    Greets.. I've done some trialling with 700C and 700R using Reaper, Studio One Pro 3, Harrison Mixbus and Mixcraft...possibly some others too but these were the main contenders for me. I have the free Pro Tools to try but to date have not as it is unlikely to be a long term option.

Of them all I've bought Mixbus and Studio One.

As you'd expect, the 700R is fine with everything I've tried so far. The 700C under Mixbus alone is refusing to work but I haven't persisted. I'd expect to be able to get some sort of function happening but to be honest, it's time for a new control surface unless you really want to dig in to get more than just faders and transport control from the 700C. The 700C has a lot of function and will require a bit of work to get fully integrated.

I'm about to list my 700 gear sadly but obviously the 700R is still excellent (using W10 Pro 64 bit here) and the 700C is also still an amazing bit of gear but I'm using the death of Sonar to completely rethink anyway.

Good luck with your software hunt. There are some great options out there.

ASUS H270, i7-7700, JLM BA & 1290, LA2A Opto4, loads of guff.
    35mm
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1105
    Re: An alternative DAW that supports the VS-700 2017/12/17 11:45:30 (permalink)
    Samplitude has the best support for hardware controllers. It has a very comprehensive hardware programming system built-in that lets you assign all your knobs, faders and buttons to pretty much any feature in the DAW. My ProjectMix had built-in integration for Sonar, Cubase and some others, but not Samplitude. I was able to program it in Samplitude to do whatever I want, and the integration is now much better than it ever was with the DAWs it was designed for!

Splat, Win 10 64bit and all sorts of musical odds and sods collected over the years, but still missing a lot of my old analogue stuff I sold off years ago.
    mt_evans
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8
    Re: An alternative DAW that supports the VS-700 2018/01/04 14:11:03 (permalink)
    35mm
    Samplitude has the best support for hardware controllers. It has a very comprehensive hardware programming system built-in that lets you assign all your knobs, faders and buttons to pretty much any feature in the DAW. My ProjectMix had built-in integration for Sonar, Cubase and some others, but not Samplitude. I was able to program it in Samplitude to do whatever I want, and the integration is now much better than it ever was with the DAWs it was designed for!

Thanks for the input.  I will try that out.  The package sounds like a lot for a real good price.  But I like the addition of being able to setup the VS-700 with the 'hardware programming' 

thanks

Zo
    Max Output Level: -25 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5036
    Re: An alternative DAW that supports the VS-700 2018/01/04 22:36:42 (permalink)
    i validate also live 9 mackie mode (as with others)

Mixbuss worked exellent with the vs 700 C alone but don't expect same intagration , just regular mackie basic stuff ...witch is more than sufficient ...

For sale  (PM me) : transfert ilok included
    Eventide Ultrachannel make offers
    Softube Summit EQ
    IK Neve 1081 , Neve precision Comp/Lim
    EastWest Goshtwriter
    Soundforge Pro 12

poetnprophet
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 128
    Re: An alternative DAW that supports the VS-700 2018/01/15 09:00:43 (permalink)
    I am now trying to get my VS700C to work with Reaper.  The faders, pan knobs, and transports all work right away.  Same with track mute/solo/arm.  So does the jog/shuttle.  Beyond that, I have been mapping specific functions manually.  The edit buttons are easy wins.  Some buttons don't register midi commands here, such as save and undo.  Setting that up really didn't take long at all, Reaper has some good videos on how to map midi functions to buttons.  I would really love to get the level LEDs to light up but i have no idea where to start with that.  Have not tried any of the channel strip knobs yet, I imagine I can map those to an eq or other plugins.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1