An old timer just babblin' hope it's good.

Author
spacey
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8769
2009/03/26 13:26:01 (permalink)

An old timer just babblin' hope it's good.

I wanted to share something especially for the younger musician that may read this. I hope it may be of value to others as well.

After many years of playing in bands and looking back there is something that I realized then and thought I’d share it.

When I think back about “times” I had- the ones that stand out and put the biggest smile on my face are related. I wasn’t being paid. Now there are things that happened, places I went, other gigs that come to mind or were especially fun that I was paid to do but they’re still different from the “freebies”.

I could write way to much here describing those memories and bore you, but I’d rather just point out why I think they are so special.

We did stuff like fundraisers for local events and groups like the Fire dept. and such. Just anything that we could do to help worthy causes- we’d be there.
We also played birthday parties for the special people in our lives. Friends, family or each other for no reason other than someone may want to go setup and play somewhere..
There was a time when we practice in my back yard and the next thing ya know..a party. Neighbors, family people down the street…the interstate was about 100 yrds across an empty field and there were cars pulled over and people eating and like picknicking enjoying our music. Wow. Fun.

Now one thing I know about those times is that we were there playing because everyone in the band wanted to be. There was no reason other than making and sharing our music with people. And that made for great times. It also made for some great music. We weren’t obligated. Not on a clock. No boss. People were relaxed and not afraid to yell at a band member and talk. Nobody got upset because they were talking. The musicians were relaxed and reaching out…trying new things…new sounds…without fear or pressure.

At the risk of sounding like I’m blowing my horn, and I hope you feel I’m not, I did play some very high dollar gigs to 30,000+ if one wants to use that as a measure of success fine. But looking back now at soon to be 54 and no desire to do anything but make my music I have to say my success is in having these fantastic memories and knowing how to make more of them.

I do hope there is some young musician that reads this and it hits home.

Regards,
Michael

13 Replies Related Threads

OffAnAirplane
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1386
    RE: An old timer just babblin' hope it's good. 2009/03/26 13:45:42 (permalink)
    Very true!

Rom 8:18 For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us.
    space_cowboy
    • Total Posts : 9813
    RE: An old timer just babblin' hope it's good. 2009/03/26 15:29:22 (permalink)
    I do hope there is some young musician that reads this and it hits home.

I am old and I read it and it hit work.

30k people - wow. 3k was as big as we ever got.

But yeah the fun was in the play - not the pay - for me. Plus the girls.

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: An old timer just babblin' hope it's good. 2009/03/26 15:54:21 (permalink)
    Nice post Michael.

It reminded me of a gig I played for free at my old school in about 1979 or so..we were in the midst of the Mod revival over here in the UK so we were kitted out in sharp suits, skinny ties and shades. Played to 13 - 14 yr olds, and they went absolutely crazy, probably the best audience we ever had!

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    spacey
    RE: An old timer just babblin' hope it's good. 2009/03/26 17:13:12 (permalink)
    No doubt I've had to much thinking time at work.....and to much to do when I get home. I wish I could listen to the players here at work, it would help me keep on track.

Understanding the value of money is important, no doubt, but sometimes the other things in life so valuable can slip by unrecognized at any given time. If this helps one young musician or a seasoned one not miss and recognize the very special times without them being traded off or missed because of money....excellent.

And spurring a re-call in some others here....a wonderful bonus.

Space it may sound impressive...it was work. It was a job. During that one week we played to 25,000 plus a night for 6 nights. It was an experience. We were trained monkeys. I did my tricks and cashed in. It put me in my place. It helped me learn the value of many things. It helped me understand what being a musician was to me. And that was not it. A personal enlightenment. I'm not saying that a musician should avoid times like that. Just don't miss the ones I believe to be of great value...that can't be bought and paid for.

Most excellent James! I'll never forget the school gigs I played. I joined a rock group in 1968, I was thirteen and all the other members were in high-school. I got to play all the dances at the junior high and the high school. Fantastic memories and we did get paid for some of them...proms..and playing at other schools....the sock-hops! Loose and wild...wild..and did I mention the girls too!

The first time I was electrocuted was playing at a private party (free) . We set up in the backyard on the grass. Need I say more. One of the members folks were having a big sha bang...every big name in town was there to watch the kids get fried....literally, lol.

Randy P
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3070
    RE: An old timer just babblin' hope it's good. 2009/03/26 17:47:34 (permalink)
    I agree with your sentiment Michael, its the little things that make the best memories. Funny enough, last night I finally got a hold of a drummer that I hadnt played with since 1994. We played alot of years together, and he moved out of state when the band broke up. We had played some pretty good gigs, and opened for a few big names back in the day. (a girl group that rhymes with fart).

Those gigs never came up as we tripped down memory lane. This one did.

When we were first starting out, we played a New Years gig at a pretty big club. The place was absolutely packed, and we had a great night. A couple of encores, and we thought we were a really big deal. The club owner loved us, and booked us for another gig 3 weeks later.
    So we show up for the gig, and the place is packed again. Not an empty seat. We start the first set, and the place is really rockin, when about half way through, everyone gets up and leaves. 350 people just stand up at once and walk out. We are looking at each other, going WTF is going on? I walk over to the edge of the stage and look out the window and see all these people getting on buses that say the name of a ski resort nearby. They had just stopped for dinner on the way home on a ski tour.

We finished the set, and the only people left in this huge club are the bartenders, waitresses, and my wife who is sitting with the drummers wife. We walk over to the table and my wife says "Tammy and I are going downtown, this place is lame".

Its pretty funny now, but man it sure did bring us down to earth at the time.

Randy

http://www.soundclick.com/riprorenband

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    RE: An old timer just babblin' hope it's good. 2009/03/26 18:54:58 (permalink)
    3k was as big as we ever got.

I played for 3 K's once.

Kathy, Karen and Krista.

tarsier
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3029
    RE: An old timer just babblin' hope it's good. 2009/03/27 11:57:09 (permalink)
    350 people just stand up at once and walk out.

That reminds me of a gig...

We were playing at a club in Sun Valley Idaho during ski season. We were having great nights, great crowds, a great time. One night while the place was packed and rockin' the crowd just disappeared. Fast. It was really wierd. We finished the tune and took a break and asked a waitress what happened. "Oh, there was a Bruce Willis sighting." And it wasn't a local sighting. He was spotted in Hailey, a bunch of miles down the road so everyone had trekked down there. The crowd never came back, and that was our last night playing there. It was kinda freaky how fast people got out of there.

Edit to add: And pretty much most of the happiest times in my adult life have been playing the small gigs where the crowd was diggin it. Those moments when everything just gels are transcendent.
    post edited by tarsier - 2009/03/27 11:59:20
    space_cowboy
    • Total Posts : 9813
    RE: An old timer just babblin' hope it's good. 2009/03/27 12:00:31 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bapu

3k was as big as we ever got.

I played for 3 K's once.

Kathy, Karen and Krista.

I always loved the Karens. Something about most of the ones I have known. There is one (used to work for me) that I could never think of that way, but pretty much every other Karen.

My long lost love (God rest her soul) was a Karon. At one point in high school, I was dating my beloved Karon and a different Karen. I remember coming home one day and my grandma (not a Karen) said "Karen called and she wants you to call her back". Ouch.

Karon turned out to be way cooler than Karen. But even Karen was way cooler than so many other girls.

What is it with the Karens?

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    ParanoiA
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 747
    RE: An old timer just babblin' hope it's good. 2009/03/27 12:51:21 (permalink)
    Wow, I'm far more small time than any of you guys. My biggest show was an apartment complex courtyard and the atmosphere and general attitude was much like the OP's reference to the interstate show. We all switched instruments and people freaking loved it, even though we weren't that great.

Yeah, I can see what you mean spacey. I just have never enjoyed a paycheck from it to have any sense of comparison. I'll take your word for it, though.
    spacey
    RE: An old timer just babblin' hope it's good. 2009/03/27 13:55:13 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ParanoiA

Wow, I'm far more small time than any of you guys. My biggest show was an apartment complex courtyard and the atmosphere and general attitude was much like the OP's reference to the interstate show. We all switched instruments and people freaking loved it, even though we weren't that great.

Yeah, I can see what you mean spacey. I just have never enjoyed a paycheck from it to have any sense of comparison. I'll take your word for it, though.

Please don't think a big gig makes a band "big time". It was just a lot of people and a band of monkeys the way I see it.

A cool thing I didn't mention is, when I quit playing new years of 85-86 the bass player was the same bass player I started with in 1968. We played in bands together all those years and I we still communicate. We're 1000 miles apart but I still see him every year or so. What a great thing to have somebody that shares that many years of gig memories.

It's a "coffee house" so I'll share a memory....We were a very ruff looking bunch..as we were...we had been hired to play a very nice country club gig. We showed early to set-up and met a grounds-keeper to let us in. Well he got very nerveous-us looking the way we did. (we would change into our stage clothes later) He had a question for every trip through the door. Our contracts included gratuities so when we finished setting up/sound check there was quite a few folks that had arrived. A very nice steak dinner was served, as well as all our drinks, for the duration of the gig. The thing was we had to eat in the kitchen with the hired help. We thought it was funny and surely didn't mind.
    We were mainly a country-rock group and I believe we were pretty darn good at going from anything like Old Hank to Pink Floyd. So here we go heading for the stage...I could see many confusing looks from folks..as if they were wondering who we were...all cleaned up...we started out nice and easy....our first set was enough...we took a break and they latched on to us dranging us off to tables to set with them, talk and party down.
    It was a scene that repeated itself numerous times in different locals and each one generated many bookings. And we didn't have to eat in the kitchen at the places we returned to LOL.

I've been trying for a long time to get Tom recording so we could post a song in the songs forum together...one of these days....I hope.

i8ipop
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 568
    RE: An old timer just babblin' hope it's good. 2009/03/27 20:36:48 (permalink)
    ahhh that takes me back...****ty gigs you organised yourself in a venue under a dogtrack grandstand, playing 12 hour metalfests trying your best not to drink to much so you could play at 2am and play ok. ahhh good times indeed...cheers for the memories!

Still raining...still dreaming!
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: An old timer just babblin' hope it's good. 2009/03/27 22:13:13 (permalink)
    I was in a 3 piece band that clubbed for a living for almost 3 years. We were a crazy bunch..... and had a crew that actually set up and tore down for us. We played to a fairly loyal audience, and generally had a ball. I think the largest audience was about 4k. There was a military base (Camp Lejeune, NC) in our town that would book us in the middle of the week, so we played alot on that base.

When we first started playing on the base...early in the bands life.....I'll never forget our first gig. All male marines, and not a woman in the club except the bartender. they were all setting there looking at us...obviously not dancing...but not clapping or shouting...nothing...just setting there for about 20 minutes into our first set. We were rocking out.... then we played some country, then back to rock.... nothing seemed to move them.

Then one marine at a table somewhere near the middle of the room throws a beer can at us and it lands on the dance floor. Then another throws a beer can, and another. Soon there were dozens of beer cans on the floor in front of the stage. No noise, no clapping...just empty beer cans being thrown.... depressing for our first gig... that we were sure would be our last.

So it was finally time for a break.... we headed for the door to the back yard, and sat on the steps discussing how the marines must thing we really suck.... when a few marines pop out the back door, telling us how great they thought we were. I said... You're the only ones cause they're thowing beer cans...they hate us.... he starts laughing... he says no.... you guys are new here... you don't understand..... if they like the band they throw beer cans, the more cans the better they like you.

He went on to explain that the marines rated the bands by the number of 50 gallon barrels needed at the end of the night to hold all the cans.... We went back on stage with a renewed sense of purpose and proceeded to have a blast.... that was a 4 barrel night!
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2009/03/27 22:21:38

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    pianodano
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1160
    RE: An old timer just babblin' hope it's good. 2009/03/29 12:15:28 (permalink)
    I was on the road for years in the 70's and 80's and played locally on a full time basis for 5. Unfortunately, MAD destroyed the bars, hotel lounges and nightlife at any other venue people gathered and where bands could hone their craft by doing it full time. It was a huge business at one time. I really feel bad for young people trying to get a start in music. I bet most people younger than 40 or so have no idea what was lost.

Best,

Danny

Core I7, win XP pro, 3 gig ram, 3 drives- Lynx Aurora firewire- Roll around 27 inch monitor, 42 inch console monitor- Motif xs controller - Networked P4's and FX Teleport for samples- Muse Receptor VIA Uniwire for samples and plugs- UAD QUAD Neve - UAD 1- Sonar X1 but favor 8.5 GUI - Toft ATB 32 - Vintage hardware - Tascam MS-16 synched via Timeline Microlynx -Toft ATB32 console
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1