Analog Synth - 2 very critically important features

Author
dougalex
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 244
2012/09/09 14:58:14 (permalink)

Analog Synth - 2 very critically important features

Does Cakewalk, or anyone, make an analog soft synth that has BOTH these 2 very critically important features:

1] The glide/portamento is exponential (NOT linear). e.g. The glide should slow down slightly as it approaches the target note.

2] Retrigger on/off, allowing the choice of whether "slurred" notes re-trigger the filter envelope, or not)

Try playing some of Keith Emerson's famous synth riffs with, and without, those features, and you will see how critically important those features are.

Amazingly enough, the Dreamstation (that has been included with Sonar for over a decade) DOES have "exponential glide (portamento)", BUT NO "retrigger option".
I expected the Arturia Moog Modular V to have these features (because it should to be authentic). But the demo that I just evaluated, while it does have "retrigger on/off", I am NOT hearing the classic "exponential glide" (e.g. when trying the "Lucky Man" riff, Dreamstation sounds "more like the record" than Arturia Moog Modular)

I googled this subject many times, and it seems that only a few people (including manufacturers) understand this issue.

So, again, does Cakewalk, or anyone, make an analog soft synth that has BOTH of those critically important features?

2 Replies Related Threads

myconsumerclub
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 410
    Re:Analog Synth - 2 very critically important features 2012/09/09 22:01:34 (permalink)
    yes this is a very key point in terms of being authentic and I think kurzwiel had it down.

Samsung I7 8 mb ram windows 8 64 bit on everything x2 & X1 producer line 6 podfarm gold interface event monitors Ibanez rg 350 guitar and GA6CE classical edirol pcr 500 keystation 88 plugins out the wazoo
    Glyn Barnes
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7564
    Re:Analog Synth - 2 very critically important features 2012/09/10 01:59:20 (permalink)
    I don't know, but two synths you may want to look at, if you have not done so already, are  AAS's Tassman and Native Instrument's Reaktor Reaktor is a very complex beast if you dig into it. It may be worth posting the question the Native instruments forum.

You can demo Tassman.

Another posibility if you are not allergic to iLoks or elicencers is XILS labs XILS3 - the full version has "a Voltage Processor (for increasing the modulation shapes)" Given the extremly versatile routing of this synth hooking the voltage processer up to the key output may, or may not give you what you are after.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
    Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
    Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1